Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, badbob001, anamnesis, A Guy, ando, Anita Potter, 39 invisible), 1519 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#962712 - 09/22/07 04:01 PM Greetings and thanks.
Laurel Jean Offline

Loc: Central IL, USA
Greetings.

My name is Laurel Jean and I am new to the Piano Forums. For almost twenty years now, I have earned my living in music and ministry, as a pianist, vocalist and entertainer/speaker. To make things only a bit more interesting, I have also been blind since birth.

I give thanks every day for the teachers who were so helpful to me over the years, maintaining the same strict curriculum with me that applied to any of their sighted students. Yes, things were taught in a different way, but I was expected to learn and was appropriately praised for doing so.

Over the past few years, it has been a joy for me to work in partnership with the National Resource Center for Blind Musicians in Bridgeport, CT, directed by David Goldstein. I would encourage any teacher presented with the unique yet rewarding challenge of working with a blind student to visit this site, and to contact David's organization with any questions. This organization is also available to assist visually impaired teachers who may be working with sighted students.
http://blindmusicstudent.org

In several instances only this year, I have been saddened to hear that sighted instructors have turned away potential students simply because of the student's blindness. I understand the challenge for both sides, having presented primarily for the sighted community with an outreach on behalf of the blind, and striving to break down barriers between both.

Just as every sighted student isn't a prodigy, every blind student isn't a prodigy. However, the same benefits of music instruction for sighted children apply to children who are blind or visually impaired.

Having said all of this, I personally want to make myself available to answer any questions or chat with (1) sighted instructors presented with the opportunity to work with blind students, and (2) blind or visually impaired instructors who also reach out to the sighted community.

As I once told the now Dean Emmeritus of my high school Alma Mater, "Perhaps the gap between the blind and sighted communities is only 88 keys wide." \:\)

Thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing from you and helping when I can.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#962713 - 09/22/07 04:54 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I'm guessing they're getting turned away, not because the students are blind, but because the teachers are unfamiliar with how to teach a blind student. I wouldn't have any idea how to go about that.
That being said, I applaud your efforts to "tune us in".

Music is absolutely something we can do/enjoy with or without or sight. My 99 1/2 yo grandmother still will play, even though she can no longer read the music, this is something that she can do.
It's also something (one of the few any more) that we can do when the power goes out! LOL

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#962714 - 09/22/07 04:58 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the board!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#962715 - 09/22/07 05:12 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Laurel Jean Offline

It can be done, and I appreciate this opportunity to encourage instructors. I love to play the piano during a power outage. Although I have pretty much gone digital, my Baldwin Hamilton still stands proudly in the family room. Hey, I can read music in the dark, too, but I can't sight read piano music. LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebony and Ivory:
I'm guessing they're getting turned away, not because the students are blind, but because the teachers are unfamiliar with how to teach a blind student. I wouldn't have any idea how to go about that.
That being said, I applaud your efforts to "tune us in".

Music is absolutely something we can do/enjoy with or without or sight. My 99 1/2 yo grandmother still will play, even though she can no longer read the music, this is something that she can do.
It's also something (one of the few any more) that we can do when the power goes out! LOL [/b]

#962716 - 09/24/07 07:41 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
DoReMi Katie Offline

Loc: Illinois
So glad to meet you Laurel Jean! Since I was a young teenager I've been wanting to teach blind children to play piano by ear. the opportunity has never come up yet as I just established my studio. But just recently a mother has contacted me to teach her visually impared 6-yr old daughter. i'm ecstatic! I'll probably do the suzuki approach, since I'm very familiar with it (having been a suzuki student in japan myself). if you have any suggestions or thoughts or techniques that worked for you, PLEASE let me know!! I'm very eager to hear more from you - the joys, challenges, etc. Thanks!

#962717 - 09/24/07 08:05 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Laurel Jean,

Just have to tell you that Ray Charles is one of my absolute favorites piano player!

His teacher certainly deserves some credit there!

He, like you, could play in the dark, but couldn't sight read worth a darn! \:D

#962718 - 09/24/07 09:06 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

There is a resource Music through Braille, written by my blind piano teacher Dr. Anne Burrows.

In fact, braille seems a confusing way to teach because every letter is one over. It's like transposing all the time.

I was offered a job teaching blind children to play piano, but they wanted me to volunteer my services.

Lots of people refuse things, but considering we're self-employed, it might be more common. I taught an autistic boy. He was 22 actually but like a boy. It was exhausting, and took three times more energy to do. They quit after 2 months because of travelling distance. What I'm saying is there are all sorts of factors that go into refusing something.

But I would take blind paying students.

#962719 - 09/24/07 09:26 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Laurel Jean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DoReMi Katie:

I am inspired by your excitement.

While I do enjoy playing by ear, I don't necessarily advocate one focusing on this entirely. Theory was a big part of my study from the beginning. I was taught about printed music, how it looks and what is represented in the notation. Even though I was not formally introduced to Braille music notation until I had a very good understanding of the Braille code for standard reading and writing, I understood the structure of music.

Good ear training is very important, but I believe that, from personal experience, a student should be exposed to all aspects of music, reading, comprehending, playing, and even composing.

Please feel free to write with any questions in particular.

So glad to meet you Laurel Jean! Since I was a young teenager I've been wanting to teach blind children to play piano by ear. the opportunity has never come up yet as I just established my studio. But just recently a mother has contacted me to teach her visually impared 6-yr old daughter. i'm ecstatic! I'll probably do the suzuki approach, since I'm very familiar with it (having been a suzuki student in japan myself). if you have any suggestions or thoughts or techniques that worked for you, PLEASE let me know!! I'm very eager to hear more from you - the joys, challenges, etc. Thanks! [/b]

#962720 - 09/24/07 09:35 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Laurel Jean Offline

I understand. I was a paying student. However, I do know that sometimes folks expect something for nothing, and am sorry for your experience. In expecting equal opportunity, we who are differently abled must offer equal effort and treat others equally. I only want to offer encouragement, and advice when I can. Your efforts are certainly to be applauded.

Quote:
Originally posted by Candyman:
There is a resource Music through Braille, written by my blind piano teacher Dr. Anne Burrows.

In fact, braille seems a confusing way to teach because every letter is one over. It's like transposing all the time.

I was offered a job teaching blind children to play piano, but they wanted me to volunteer my services.

Lots of people refuse things, but considering we're self-employed, it might be more common. I taught an autistic boy. He was 22 actually but like a boy. It was exhausting, and took three times more energy to do. They quit after 2 months because of travelling distance. What I'm saying is there are all sorts of factors that go into refusing something.

But I would take blind paying students. [/b]

#962721 - 09/25/07 01:42 AM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Laurel Jean,
I currently have a blind voice student. I wanted her ot participate in the distric t MTNA auditions this year, but couldnt' figure out what to do about hte theory test she must take. Apparnetly, what they do is give it all aurally. I was aware of the Braille music, but neither she nor I know it, and I've heard that it is very hard to learn. So bascially, what we will do this year is have her learn "in TReble clef, what is the note on the 2nd line from the bottom" and things like that. Teaching her singing is no problem whatsoever, I just have to reword some of the things I say, or put to words things I would do in a gesture.

Is it worthwhile for her (and me) to learn Braille music do you think?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#962722 - 09/26/07 01:53 PM Re: Greetings and thanks.
Laurel Jean Offline

Sounds very similar to my voice teacher's lesson plans, prior to my learning Braille music. I think that you are on the right track, here. So many instructors simply ask a blind student to "parrot" a melody without discussing theory or technique.

In answer to your question...If your student wants to pursue a career in music, she will need Braille music in order to be more efficient as her studies become more advanced. It is possible for a blind student to be instructed in Braille music by a professional in that field, with the student's music instructor(s) only having minimal understanding of Braille music. The idea of Braille music is to better integrate the student into the sighted world. For instance, a student could be "sight-singing" a piece reading the Braille copy while you as the instructor followed the printed score.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
Laurel Jean,
I currently have a blind voice student. I wanted her ot participate in the distric t MTNA auditions this year, but couldnt' figure out what to do about hte theory test she must take. Apparnetly, what they do is give it all aurally. I was aware of the Braille music, but neither she nor I know it, and I've heard that it is very hard to learn. So bascially, what we will do this year is have her learn "in TReble clef, what is the note on the 2nd line from the bottom" and things like that. Teaching her singing is no problem whatsoever, I just have to reword some of the things I say, or put to words things I would do in a gesture.

Is it worthwhile for her (and me) to learn Braille music do you think? [/b]

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
12/22/14 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
12/22/14 09:29 AM
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160050 Topics
2350439 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission