Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
151 registered (36251, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, ajames, 32 invisible), 1750 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#962826 - 08/09/08 12:38 PM Rates....opinion please
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
I am pondering changing the packaging of my lesson rates for next year, and was hoping for some initial reactions from all of you before I do anything drastic.

Piano lessons $65 per hour (Flexible Scheduling)
Piano lessons $40 per hour (paying by semester, and adherence to policy, No makeups etc). This is unchanged from last year

Here's my thoughts.
- By quoting the higher rate first, the lower rate, which a majority will take, will be confirmed as a very good value.
- Since people are very used to package deals like this (cell phones etc.) I imagine that there will be less asking for makeup lessons down the road, as they have made a choice to go with the more economical route
- Psychologically, when a person is unable to come to the lesson, they can think to themselves "but if I had went with the "pay as you go" plan, I would have already spent way more...It could possibly even make them feel GOOD about missing a lesson.

I don't really imagine that I will sell a majority of lessons at the higher rate...it will be mostly adults, performing artists, and very very busy professionals. The next lesson would be set at the end of the current lesson, and paid for then...it just would not need to be every week.

This just seems like a simpler way to deal with requests for Bi-weekly lessons, sporadic audition related tune-ups, and dealing with adult students like physicians, who get their schedules by the month...and it changes all the time.

I don't know if any one in my area who does this, so I would be breaking ground. I am in a niche market, so I am almost never cross-shopped with other teachers. I'm not actually raising my rate for normal lessons.

Any Red flags pop up in your mind? \:\)

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#962827 - 08/09/08 02:35 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Jeremy, it seems like an excellent idea you have there. I may follow your lead on this.

John

#962828 - 08/09/08 03:56 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like your idea too! I haven't had trouble with make-ups to date, but it may be something I might like to do next fall.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#962829 - 08/09/08 08:24 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
lalakeys Offline

Loc: Chicago 'burbs
A thumbs up from me,too.

I've noticed that people definitely like choices & options--and putting those options in writing will prevent a lot of misunderstanding in the future.

#962830 - 08/09/08 08:43 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Great idea!

This coming fall I have one highschooler that has been with me for years and has asked to take just one lesson a month, because of her school load and trying to get a scholarship, etc...

I made an exception and said yes to the one lesson a month. But after reading your post, I should really charge more for this request.

EDIT: The only thing that can make it a problem is if you do get quite a few people wanting this kind of flexible scheduling... It could drive you a little bonkers, but I suppose you could set a limit of how many students you would want to take on at the 65.00 an hour rate. Would this money be paid at the time of the lesson? Or before? Would you make-up the lesson...? Just how flexible are talking about?

#962831 - 08/09/08 11:41 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I do something similar. In addition to regular lessons, I offer what I call "Coachings" at a higher per hour rate. These are scheduled flexibly, and it's understood that they're mostly consultations - that I don't provide any kind of long-term plan or curriculum. Instead, it's based on projects - like the adult student who already has a particular piece or performance goal in mind, or a junior high or high school student needing some help understanding how to work in their school's jazz band, or someone who's getting ready for a new accompanying experience and wants to be ready, or even another teacher's student who wants an extra bit of advice preparing for a performance.

It's a great idea, and I think if you let people know about it the right way it could be a popular choice.

(Heck, I wouldn't mind taking a lesson or two on that kind of basis - I haven't had a real lesson in years!)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#962832 - 08/10/08 04:15 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobuff:
Would this money be paid at the time of the lesson? Or before? Would you make-up the lesson...? Just how flexible are talking about? [/b]
It would be paid at the end of the previous lesson. A date would be set at that time, and once the lesson is set, it cannot be changed unless proper notice is given.

I guess if a student pre paid for the next lesson, they could just call and say "what do you have this week" and we could work something out.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT

#962833 - 08/10/08 08:59 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Since posting I've realized that I have totally misunderstood the original post and intention. Rather than leaving my post up it seems prudent to take it down with apologies - thank you for those who stepped in.

Since I'm still quote below:

I had the impression that students who wanted to change their lesson times willy nilly or for legitimate reasons could do so if they paid $65/lesson - I also pictured year long lessons with the only difference being that these people could change their slots whenever they wanted - a fee that I would not be able to afford (65 X 52 weeks) - quite a misunderstanding.

I tied this to the types of students portrayed elsewhere: the ones who skip lessons in order to go shopping and other irresponsible acts: hence "frivolous and dishrag character". (sorry) I did not mean to characterize my fellow students under that umbrella.

The cry of "no makeup lessons for any student under any circumstance" alarmed me.

What seemed highly unfair to me in the picture I had, is that a student who chose to attend lessons regularly and who might be working diligently - i.e. who chose the regular lessons as a prudent choice rather than enticement of a cheaper fee - should then lose the safety net of makeup lessons. If our $65 student was the "shopping spree" type (don't know why I lumped the two together) that did not seem to be fair.

I'm not seeing makeup lessons or even lessons as paid for commodity and therefore a right because of who pays the piper. Rather lessons are something necessary and crucial. There are times when you reach a tight spot that it's a relief to have access to a teacher. Supposing that at such a time a student cannot make it to a lesson because of something out of his control, the idea that an unbendable rule that exists which will prevent him from arranging an alternate time was a distressing thought.

What made it worse, however, was imagining that a student who could afford the higher fee and who was not necessarily commited (if as I imagined this was the shopping spree type) did have that kind of access, while the first student, by choosing regular attendance, was forbidden it.

I don't think I saw anything as it was intended and had a rather distorted picture. Sorry.

#962834 - 08/10/08 09:38 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
My reservation about that choice, is would you have any control over who gets to use that option? What if you get someone who really needs weekly lessons, but only schedules to see you every other week or so? Their progress would be hampered because they weren't taking lessons the way they needed to, and that may reflect badly on you. I'm thinking mainly of beginner adult students who may not have any idea how to practice effectively, but may choose the flexible option because that is easier. Just a thought.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#962835 - 08/10/08 09:47 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

My policies are well in place in my mind (translation, but still). I apply these, as well as my priorities and values when I interact with any client. I will quote the same price, deadline, stipulations to everyone but it is not written out as a published document. If I make an exception for someone, I know why I'm doing so, and I will tell them that it's an exception. I rely on human intelligence to know how to be discrete.

This publishing of a policy which is geared at the most irresponsible and frivolous of your students almost seems to create the attitude that you are trying to curb. People who never would have thought of flexibility will now do so. Isn't there another way of going about it?

#962836 - 08/10/08 01:38 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
 Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
A small perspective:
You are addressing the motivations of what seems to be frivolous hobbyist students with about as much character as a dishrag...

This tears me apart. Your frivolous hobbyist has access to you, but your serious student doesn't.
[/b]
Hey - just wanted to offer another adult-student perspective to balance this out, hope it's not out of place.

Keystring - wow - I felt that was really unusually harsh! I guess we're interpretting the policy differently, because I (also a serious adult student would DOES practice, and would keep the weekly lessons!) didn't read it that way at all.

The policy actually made sense to me, and I wouldn't really worry about it if I were signing up at your studio.

As you said, the concept of "prepaying, buying in bulk" is one we're all accustomed to, and you get better "value" when you're willing to commit.

I guess, technically you could call those students who don't take weekly lessons "less serious" - but I think there are so many cases where people require more flexibility than they can get with a locked timeslot. You already mentioned doctors who may not know their work schedule more than a month out, but anyone who has to travel frequently for work would also fit. And alot of adults DO prefer every-other-week - so they have enough free time to get through their "homework" before the next lesson. I think it's a bit unfair to call them "frivolous hobbyist students with about as much character as a dishrag..." (*ouch!*)!

I hate to think that these people are locked out of the joy of piano lessons just because they don't have the flexibility to do the same time slot every week, or the time to do every week (as opposed to bi-weekly). Or the finances (perhaps someone who studied as a child and wants to return for some "brushups" once a month, and doesn't need weekly lessons).

So, I think it makes perfect sense.

(Keystring - I guess partly I don't think of it as these students have more instant access to the teacher - after all, I have guaranteed access every week, and I assume that if the teacher's schedule were completely full, the flex student might have to put off a lesson an additional week waiting for a spot to fill up. IE as a "regular" student I actually have *better* access, since I won't get bumped for a flex-student!)

My only concerns/questions would be:

- What about students who are on the regular, weekly schedule - and then want to go to flex-schedule temporarily. For example, if they know they're going to be traveling alot for the summer, so want to "take off" of regular lessons to accomodate that, schedule lessons as they can fit them in, and then return to regular lessons in the fall. Just something to think about, so you can deal with it if/when it happens!

- The "no makeups" - would be a little scary to me. I think someone had drawn a distinction between "makeups" (last minute missing lesson) versus "rescheduling" (advanced notice for a conflict). I rarely ask to reschedule, but the school I'm at schedules a "makeup week" at the end of each semester, so I'm covered if something (such as illness) comes up.

It surprises me when I read about a hard line on "no makeups" even for sickness - because I'd think you'd want to *discourage* sick people from coming to the studio, and possibly infecting you. I know if there were no makeups allowed, I'd be really tempted to come anyway, drippy nose and sneezing and whatnot, so that I don't feel like I'm throwing away that $40!

(I understand needing advanced notice, and that *excessive* makeups would be a problem, but... I've really appreciated my teacher leaving a little wiggle room for emergencies and illness!)

Just some more thoughts! Good luck with it!

#962837 - 08/10/08 04:26 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

[see corrected post above]

#962838 - 08/10/08 05:36 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hm. I didn't see any character and motivation of students assumed in the OP that I wouldn't want attributed to me - adults, performers, people whose schedules are varied.

Ever since you started posting, keystring, you've talked about your perception that many(?) teachers don't take adults, and specifically you, seriously. I'll admit I haven't had your specific experiences, but when I read the ABF I see lots of adults who are being taken seriously by their teachers and are working and having fun doing so on classical repertoire, as well as other kinds of repertoire (jazzwee's Autumn Leaves thread comes to mind). Your response to the OP seemed to me to not be justified. Perhaps your personal experience biased your reading of it? It's a thought -

Cathy

#962839 - 08/10/08 06:34 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

Maybe I did misread the OP. I think it's a cumulative effect of everything I've been reading and the portrait that was emerging in my eyes. And I must admit when a new trend seemed to be emerging with a rallying cry of "no makeup lessons under any circumstances" I found that scary. My apologies to Jeremy.

About my own attitude - hm? I do not think teachers don't take adult student seriously. I do have the impression of a complicated situation and yes, I began with some experiences which also included fellow students I knew privately. I think that a while back I was trying to push the idea that adult students are not homogenous. I was pushing above all that students and teachers talk to each other, that students know themselves before even beginning lessons, and that they make the effort to communicate clearly with their teachers.

Roughly what I'm seeing is this: The path to music, especially classical or tradition, is not easy and it involves a lot of hard work, some of it which does not make immediate sense. The first scenario that happens involves a serious teacher who wants to bring all her students, including the adults, along that path. There is resistance, frustration, students quit, powr plays, switching teachers. Many adults don't want that, didn't bargain for it etc.

Some teachers end up not wanting to teach adult students because of such experiences. Others learn from the experience and create a lighter or different program. One can learn to play a fair bit of music and sound acceptable that way.

The other scenario is the opposite: a serious student who encounters "light" teaching minus what the first kind of teacher is pushing. The teaching might be almost totally toward pieces. One sees the advice (rarely on PW, I'm glad to see), "Give them whatever they want to play and let them have fun." One cannot advance that way. Certain things must be developed in a certain order and relatively systematically. Certain things must be learned.

The problem is that these serious students getting that kind of teaching did not know what they should be learning - there was just a vague feeling that something was amiss, and they couldn't progress anymore. Few of us knew that teachers make choices, and there is more than one way to approach anything, and different goals.

It was not a case of bad attitude, but of a misunderstanding of goals. It took a few years to figure this out, and it involved friends who were sometimes deeply unhappy. The solution came when they did figure it out and when they could then discuss it with their teachers.

In general, what happened is that the teacher assumed an adult student did not want to do the more demanding work and was satisfied doing things as they were doing them. One adult student who first stated different wishes was told "Do you know how hard it is, and what you are asking?" They launched on the new path, and to be honest, the student was indeed taken aback by what was involved, but perservered anyway. The teacher's warning came because she had seen adult students quit or give up music. These friends really did want to go as far as they could, and they were much happier for it. The other side of it was that their teachers were trained professionals, and they, too were much happier working at that level. What I witnessed was the emergence of something akin to joy. I guess that I was overly enthusiastic when I popped into PW last December.

It is when I saw statements suggesting that all adult students had certain goals, that I tried to create an awareness that there are exceptions, and that we represent a very broad spectrum of individuals. It is not a matter of taking a student seriously, but of knowing what the expectations and attitudes might be. When I teach, I also gear that teaching toward such things, and two people being given the same subject matter might be taught totally differently.

Hopefully I've backed off since the beginning, because the world is a tad more complex and I've learned a bit since then. I would still urge students and teachers to communicate a lot, and not to assume anything. What makes it even tricker is that as we progress and gain experience, our goals and outlook might also do a 360, which makes it really confusing.

Repertoire, by the way, is less on my mind than approach.

#962840 - 08/10/08 07:03 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

Hm, I'm thinking that I didn't understand the flex-schedule properly. I haven't imagined someone not coming every week, so I imagined the $65 to mean someone who comes weekly but gets to change the time and day any time he wants. So I was seeing $65 X 52 weeks which I simply cannot afford. But it seemed that the only way I could have access to a makeup lesson or extra lesson was if I did pay that higher amount.

If this involves occasional lessons then it is more than reasonable, because constantly disrupted routines on the teacher's part are a head-ache.

#962841 - 08/10/08 07:30 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Mistaya Offline

Loc: Alberta
Jeremy,
I'm an adult student who takes biweekly lessons. I understand the difficulty this poses for busy teachers - but the adult learner is a growing demographic - and we're darn fun to teach too. We practice, ask a lot of questions, are very committed and passionate. I'd be very tempted to take an occasional coaching from you at that rate (would it work over skype \:\) ? However, I wouldn't be able to afford $65/hr. every two weeks. The extra $25 seems a bit of a high premium and I would feel a little resentful paying so much more for the same hour of your time. I would, however, be willing to pay $50/hr. I would read your policy to say that you really don't want to accommodate biweekly students - and that's fine and understandable. Perhaps there will be teachers who will specialize in adult students and find ways to make the scheduling work.

Each profession seems to have its challenges - at least you can minimize the inconvenience by having a comprehensive studio policy. I'm a farmer and our major challenge is the weather and it hasn't been at all influenced by our farm policy \:\) Also, I would not sign on with a teacher who does not offer makeups when serious situations crop up. I have great sympathy for teachers having to deal with trivial excuses - but sometimes life is messy and we can't control everything.

p.s I'm serious about the skype - I have to drive an hour to lessons (each way, uphill, in a snowstorm - a cdn. joke).

Anyway, it's an interesting approach. Let us know how it works out.

#962842 - 08/10/08 07:31 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I see the reasoning behind the two-tier system and I don't think it's designed so much to give an advantage to either, as just to cater for the different situations in a way which is fair.

I actually charge the same rate for regular lessons as for a casual coaching/accompaniment session (vocal & instrumental) (and I do many more of these latter!). But I do allow for some make-ups and rescheduling with my regular students, most of whom at the moment are adults, so I don't have the parent problem. I can do this because I only have a few students - were my student numbers to go up significantly I'd do a big rethink on this. (My fees, by the way, are a bit higher than most of these quoted, but this is probably meaningless as I'm in a different part of the world)

I think the person who thought they'd come every week but chop and change as they like would find they weren't so easily accommodated as they thought... they'd probably be glad to go back to the regularly reserved slot!

#962843 - 08/10/08 07:52 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

I do understand the problem with timing and arrangements. I freelance as a translator and there is not one predictable thing in my life because of that. I can find myself working 8 days almost around the clock, or going several weeks with just about nothing coming in. A request for a translation can come in from Europe or Asia at 3:00 a.m. (hence my unusual posting times - if I'm up, I check messages) or any other time. Some people pay me immediately, some in 30 days, some in 90, so my bank account also goes up and down like a fever thermometer.

I do, however, have control over the use of my time within that situation. If I have a 6000 word translation due on Friday, I can decide when to start, when to finish, and I have absolute control over my time in that sense.

Negotiating with clients is unpaid time. The same is true for rearranging schedules of students. I do as much of my client-communication on-line per e-mail. I can answer when it's convenient and I type fast. I can just imagine what it's like to arrange new times with students, and shuffle your students around. It's not just that you have to phone the various parties - you won't be able to reach them right away, they have to call you back to see whether Uncle Albert is scheduled to visit Monday or Tuesday night etc. That's all unpaid time when you could be doing something else. If you have a whole bunch of students doing that, it could really eat into your time.

I do have two students - I drive to their home so it's a two hour commitment once a week. It is a different lifestyle than translating. When it's 8:30 a.m. Saturday morning I have to drop everything I'm doing, be properly dressed, head out the door, arrive, be alert and perky for two hours. I often also prepare teaching material, or am on the lookout for material. The use of my time is immediately impinged. And yes, I have been on the receiving end of time and date changes.

When you are self employed and in charge of your own hours, things can run away on you very easily. Jeremy, your concerns and the problems you are trying to resolve make more and more sense.

#962844 - 08/10/08 08:44 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I do something similar. In addition to regular lessons, I offer what I call "Coachings" at a higher per hour rate. These are scheduled flexibly, and it's understood that they're mostly consultations - that I don't provide any kind of long-term plan or curriculum. Instead, it's based on projects - like the adult student who already has a particular piece or performance goal in mind, [/b]
I too think the two-tiered, higher price flexible option is wonderful, and I especially like Kreisler's offering of "coaching" sessions. That is exactly the kind of lessons I would be looking for, i.e., finding a coach to help out in mastering a specific piece or skill.

I'm not sure how many people you will have take advantage of the flexible scheduling, Jeremy, but I sure would. Good luck with it. \:\)

#962845 - 08/10/08 08:59 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistaya:
Jthe adult learner is a growing demographic - and we're darn fun to teach too. We practice, ask a lot of questions, are very committed and passionate. [/b]
I love to teach adults. I have a large number of them. I love being able to reason with them and explain the purpose of everything. Kids sometimes don't care..."just tell me what I need to do to get first class Honors". I do not enjoy teaching in the "just do this" method.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT

#962846 - 08/10/08 09:00 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
I see the reasoning behind the two-tier system and I don't think it's designed so much to give an advantage to either, as just to cater for the different situations in a way which is fair.

[/b]
I thought long and hard about the difference in price. I believe that this is the price that makes either option seem reasonable to me as the teacher.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT

#962847 - 08/11/08 01:27 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
keystring Offline

Considering the extra work involved, Jeremy, now that I understand what it's about, it also seems reasonable to me.

You are not saying, are you, that your regular $40/lesson student is not allowed to ask for an additional lesson (additionally paid for) here and there if the occasion warrants it? That is part of what I understood under that policy and it's the part that left me feeling insecure.

#962848 - 08/11/08 07:45 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianoexcellence:
Piano lessons $65 per hour (Flexible Scheduling)
Piano lessons $40 per hour (paying by semester, and adherence to policy, No makeups etc).[/b]
Wow...is that the going rate in your area?

I guess living in Southern California gives me the excuse to charge more. One of the more reputable piano schools in my area raised its rates to $80/hour, and then the more active private teachers followed suit. My rates aren't quite that high yet, but it is nice to work where the glass ceiling is high.

It is interesting to see a 2-tiered payment system, but I do question the need for that. I do get calls for "coaching" lessons or "tune-up" lessons before competitions, but my first question is always, "Is your teacher okay with that?" In the event that it is the teacher who sent the student over to me for that one lesson, I do charge the same rate as my regular students--I just schedule the special lesson at my convenience.

#962849 - 08/11/08 09:24 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The local music conservatory charges about $31/half hour, and my prices are much less than that here, and I'm not considered cheap, either, compared to what others charge. Every area is different, but I know that if someone in say, Chicago makes $50,000, that is roughly equivalent to making $32,000 here because the housing costs are much less here.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#962850 - 08/11/08 11:02 AM Re: Rates....opinion please
7000 Post Club Member

AZN, what interests me is not so much the $65 for "coaching" sessions or lessons scheduled only occasionally, as it's about the same as Seattle. What surprises me is the $40/hr for your tuition paying students. I would have thought your rate would be closer to $50/hr.

John

#962851 - 08/11/08 01:07 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Yes, don't forget to value the results you get with your students as a factor of your earning power. If you support MTNA student activities in your local chapter, attend workshops, seminars, conferences, master classes, this certainly sets your private music teaching program above those that offer less opportunities to their students.

A once or twice a year recital is absolutely minimum compared to all the possibilities there are to expand your musical influence on your student body.

It bothers me, and always has that beginning teachers start their prices at the place where the experienced teachers with good reputations have arrived. There is no limit to the amount that "wanna be" teachers are able to charge highly while offering little. I wish the users of our services would wise up to these situations.

When I started in 1971 my half hour price was $6. And, I have ridden the increase up to present rates. Over the years many of us have reluctant to eliminate anyone who would profit from lessons because of the cost.

Respectfully,

Betty Patnude

#962852 - 08/11/08 02:06 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
It bothers me, and always has that beginning teachers start their prices at the place where the experienced teachers with good reputations have arrived. There is no limit to the amount that "wanna be" teachers are able to charge highly while offering little. I wish the users of our services would wise up to these situations.
[/b]
It's the marketplace that sets the rates, Betty, and experience plays a much smaller role. I had the unpleasant experience this past year of a brand new assistant professor in my field being hired in my department at a higher salary than I am making now after 21 years of dedicated service. Sucks big time, all around. But there's no use getting all bent out of shape, because that's the starting salary we have to offer these days to hire somebody.

Similarly, if the market is supporting $40/hr lessons, or $60, or more, then so be it. Do you really think a new teacher should be charging only $6 simply because that's what you were paid when you started out? ;\)

I am not trying to argue that there should be absolutely no differentiation for teaching quality; in other words, a master teacher should and probably is able to charge all the traffic will bear. But I'm guessing that for the typical piano teacher offering lessons privately primarily to children and/or nonprofessionals, there's fairly rapid convergence to a market rate that is relatively stable in a given geographic area. I'm sure piano*dad could explain it all much better (and more accurately) than I.

#962853 - 08/11/08 04:22 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
7000 Post Club Member

Monica, I believe your analysis is quite good. The market will tolerate some differentiation among teachers of differing quality, but not very much. Most parents, while having the best interests of their students at heart, and willing to bend over backwards for them, haven't a clue as to what constitutes good teaching and what doesn't. They lack the musical networking where they can learn who is top notch, who is good, and who is mediocre. It's simply not the parents' fault, and most of them resort to the "price" indicator. If most of their shopping is "cost conscience" then this is the mode they are in when shopping for a teacher.

Put it another way - what are the parents experiences with teachers? Primary, if not exclusively, the classroom. They gag when they learn what a classroom teacher receives "per teaching hour" (not what they receive per working hour, but per hour that they are working with students in the formal classroom session). [Aside - I have fun with a teacher one time, when she complained about my rates. I asked her to add up her total teaching time - time she was in formal session with her class, not extra time, which all teachers, music teachers included, work with students needing extra help, etc., nor prep time, but actual bone fide teaching, and to divide her annual salary plus all benefits, including employer's contribution to SS, by that number, and pay me the same. When she figured it out, I never heard another peep from her.]

Once we can get a student in the door, we can educate the parent, and help them understand why our studio is a better opportunity for their student. And of course, help the student along swiftly and correctly.

#962854 - 08/11/08 04:43 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trust me...I know the rates are low here.

I am at the high end of the spectrum...but the spectrum is very limited.

On the other hand...I am working from a waiting list, so I will be raising my rates.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT

#962855 - 08/11/08 11:01 PM Re: Rates....opinion please
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
It bothers me, and always has that beginning teachers start their prices at the place where the experienced teachers with good reputations have arrived. There is no limit to the amount that "wanna be" teachers are able to charge highly while offering little. I wish the users of our services would wise up to these situations. [/b]
Betty: I feel exactly the same way about several of the "music schools" around here. I'm not exactly a super-experienced teacher, but I'm quite progressive in my teaching.

John: I think you misread my post. My rates are higher than $50/hr, and they're going up come September. I do have to deal with a couple of local teachers who haven't changed their rates in 20 years (they still charge $40 and have students lining out the door \:\( ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
20 minutes 26 seconds ago
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
Today at 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
Today at 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
Today at 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
Today at 03:31 PM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159944 Topics
2348860 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission