Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#962915 - 10/24/07 10:04 AM I want to start teaching....help!
Dramaqueen Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new to the boards (see my intro on Adult's beginner board 'coming out of the shadows'). I'm more of an intermediate player not beginner but I have had a lot of health/physical problems the past few years which have slowed me down somewhat.

I really want to start teaching soon... as in the next year or so. Right now I work at a local chinese resturant and I work weekends. Though I don't mind serving I find it really hard being away from my kids and husband basically all weekend.

So my question is.... What would I need to do before I start teaching? Do you have books/courses that you would suggest I take?

My piano teacher teaches a Ped. course twice a year. I missed the sept. session but hope to do the spring session in 2008. She knows I want to teach and I will be posting this question to her as well but I was interested in your input.

I am currently working on Gr 9 RCM and am studying for my History and Harmony exams. I hope to take my Gr 9 exam in 2009 but it will depend on my health. (I have MS and fell 2 years ago which fractured my lower spine and did a lot of nerve damage to my left side) I know that teaching is very time consuming but I have always loved teaching and it comes naturally to me. I just don't want to do things wrong out of good intentions.

Any ideas or am I shooting for too much too soon?
Just bought: Kawai GM-10k

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#962916 - 10/24/07 10:21 AM Re: I want to start teaching....help!
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Dear Dramaqueen, Option here. What about teaching as an understudy to a top quality piano teacher? I was asked by my classical piano teacher to teach as her understudy. In your Conservatory there must be a teacher who would mentor you. My teacher assigned students to me and allowed me to keep all of the money. Most teachers keep a percentage for referrals and the time you will take , asking them questions etc. She trained me to teach, as she had her Master's in Music Education. She was my mentor. She died years later but I still taught as a private piano teacher and found another mentor. My piano studies continuted with him for years too. The same mentor will listen to my Rhapsody in Blue next month and correct me. Just a thought for you. We plan to perform this , the original arrangement together. Maybe two years as he is still teaching at 64 years old, I am 68, and his time is limited. We will record to play for ourselves in our old age as we have a special mentor-student- friend relationship now for 21 years. Mine has been a wonderful musical journey with my two piano teacher mentors. I do hope you will have a blessed life in teaching piano as I have and the friends I have made as a result of my piano passion. Cheers, Sandy B

#962917 - 10/24/07 11:27 AM Re: I want to start teaching....help!
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Finish your grade 9, then find a teacher to teach you the junior pedagogy course. When you pass this, you will be prepared to teach up to gr. 2

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#962918 - 10/24/07 12:03 PM Re: I want to start teaching....help!
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Dramaqueen:

Learning to teach piano through pedagogy study is an excellent path for a new teacher and every new teacher needs to do this (my opinion) not just pick up a method and "go" with it. The concepts are structured and related to each other and create a sequence of progress and building blocks. Don't rely only on a method book, empower yourself by knowing how to teach, what to teach, when to teach it, and the why. Every element in music is a fascination subject.

Line up the music you would like to teach up to the grade you feel capable of. Make lost of lists - ask yourself questions to be answered later - You can be doing this part now.

Then, there is the running of the business - what income you need through tuition fees, and think of the expenses you will have in a one year time (IRS accounting time), what will your policies be, how will you conduct your inquiries, interviews, and first 10 lessons. Do you want only beginners or will you accept transfers.

Here are a few pedagogues you will want to know about, the list gets longer. But to me these are essential and all encompassing and confidence building resources.

Google: Martha Beth Lewis
A piano teacher with a long experience and a doctorate answers every question know to man about piano study from the teachers, students and parents prospective. Everything is covered on the web site!

Google: Frances Clark
"Questions and Answers" is her book - and you will want to know all about the Frances Clark Center and her legacy in pedagogy. Her book "Questions and Answers" is available on the site.

James W. Bastien has "How to Teach Piano Successfully" by Kjos music publishers - make sure it is the most recent edition.

In addition, music teachers magazine subscriptions are helpful:
Google: Keyboard Companion - a quarterly
Google: claviermagazine.com - a monthly except July and August

Search: on any key word here in PWF for lots of postings in the archives

If you ask questions here, there will be responses!

Seeking guidance from a mentor(s)is a good thing.

In support of your aspiration, Dramaqueen!

Betty

#962919 - 10/24/07 12:17 PM Re: I want to start teaching....help!
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Observe as many teachers as you can, and take notes. Many teachers will be happy to let you sit in on lessons. Also, develop your teaching philosophy: what do you like about your teacher and former teachers that you would like to emulate? what woudl you improve upon? What level of student are you comfortable teaching? When do you send them on to a more experienced teacher?

There are many wonderful books on piano pedagogy that would probably be helpful to you. I would ask your teacher for a bibliography and start reading! \:\)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (accordeur, ando, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 1524 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Yesterday at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission