Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#963782 - 06/26/05 08:11 AM Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

if you go through a few chinese piano forum, you may notice that most people focus on beiyer, czerny, hannon, and teachers are suggesting student to progress from beiyer to czerny599, 849 etc. I know many teaching method exists in this subject, but just wander why the whole country only uses one method.

I guess it might be caused by the culture, which respects old or ancient knowledge therefore the old books or methods are better than the new ones.

instead my teacher in britain suggests to learn technique from pieces.

any comment please and welcome (actuall i want ask this question long time ago)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#963783 - 06/26/05 01:58 PM Re: Teaching in China
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
I take it you are from China and are now studying in Britain. The reason the books you mentioned are used--both here in the US and Britain--in China is probably because they are standard works that have proven their staying ability, that is, they have produced positive results. It is rare that one gets everything technically from just pieces. In general, each exercise/piece in those books you mentioned focus on a technical problem and help to resolve it so that when encountered in a composition it facilitates learning it. The playing mechanism--hands, arms, shoulders, wrists--need to have strength, stamina, and endurance for long demanding pieces and concentrated exercises such as those help develop it. Repertoire is equally important to develop musicianship, style, interpretative ability AND technique.

If inventive enough, problems in repertoire can be isolated into exercises and develop the same thing. Teachers sometimes show students ways to make exercises out of the passages and that works too. But just playing repertoire--notice the word 'playing'--probably won't develop technique as much as concentrated exercises.

Just my thoughts on this for you. I hope it helps you understand.

#963784 - 06/26/05 04:11 PM Re: Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

my questions are not only about the quality of this method, but also why nearly the whole country's teachers are trying the same method.

anyway, your answer is great and detail.

cheers

#963785 - 06/26/05 04:29 PM Re: Teaching in China
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Perhaps China's teachers are not as aware of newer books or there is a standardization of some sort there. They might be following the procedures used for their own instruction rather than trying new and, to them, unproven ways? Just a thought. I've never been to China and have no idea what they use. I did have a student from Taiwan but she was already fairly advanced so we basicly studied repertoire.

#963786 - 06/26/05 11:39 PM Re: Teaching in China
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
I was approached about taking my teaching method to China at the request of the Chinese government and a promotional agency two years ago, but did not go. Research from a team here and around the world showed that since China does not honor copyright, authors and creative people do not get paid for their material. I am sure that if China were to honor copyright and that innovators would feel they were being fairly compensated the quality and diversity of the curriculum there would improve greatly.

#963787 - 06/27/05 10:42 AM Re: Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

The situation may not be so bad. some people will pay, some don't. giving seminors might be a good way compared to publishing something in terms of protecting copyright.

find a good marketing way in another country is a very challenge thing. for example, western companies always struggle in Japan, since Japanese domestic market are so well protected by their government, media and culture.

anyway, nice to see someone has connections with China.

cheers

Jin

#963788 - 06/27/05 12:26 PM Re: Teaching in China
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think there are limited access in books in China, also a lot of imported books are pre-selected by teh government and authorities, in other words, there aren't many choices available for teachers to try if the barrieres are set.

I also don't think there are too many music publisher companies there in China, they are rather music producation companies that can re-produce what is available, I believe you do have to buy the right to copy things.

When I was growing up there and studying piano, I had Crazney, Hanon, and Thomptson books that everyone piano students purchase, as you get more advanced, you can buy music by Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven....and so on, all of them are copied by chinese companies, you don't see a such as a Helen, Schimmer, or Dover version of them.

#963789 - 06/27/05 02:42 PM Re: Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

i don't agree this, only books about politics are selected, obviously. nothing about piano, music or science.

good to know u living there before

cheers

#963790 - 06/27/05 03:58 PM Re: Teaching in China
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
No, if you have know a bit more about chinese history, you probably know about the culture revolution, in which all western civilization are banned, that includes literature, music, visual arts, and instruments. During that time, most of the pianos are stored or destroyed under the command of chairman Mao, and as years go by, it rules has loosen some, but during 1960-1975, there are a lot of chinese folk music been written in the style of western harmony, simply becuase they want to creat something that is chinese oriented, and not western.

Throughout the entire chinese history, politics are definitely been watched very carefully, and so are other interlecture subjects, which very much include arts and literature, to certain extended, it is believed that people have more education tend to think more and tend to not follow orders, which create a problem for the goverment.

China today is so much more liberal than before, which to a westerner, it is hard to believe how much regulation used to be there on every subject.

#963791 - 06/28/05 09:44 AM Re: Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

yes, i am only talking about things happening at this moment.

besides, every country has its own dark history, say, middle age. and different civilization does not necessary follow the same route and does the same thing at exactly the same time.

#963792 - 06/28/05 06:02 PM Re: Teaching in China
kimdoan2 Offline

How popular is Richard Clayderman (?) in China? I have a student who brought in a stack of his music. I don't read Chinese, I can only tell from the cover.

#963793 - 06/29/05 07:00 AM Re: Teaching in China
snoopyjin Offline

very popular,

sometime, people don't know him, but play his cd in backgroud

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (36251, ando, Akshay, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1301 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
04/19/14 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission