Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#964402 - 11/13/07 02:42 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
 Quote:
Originally posted by jazzyclassical:
Everybody's different, [/b]
I'm not.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#964403 - 11/13/07 03:18 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I feel sorry for the students who come to me from other so-called teachers and have to relearn the piano. They come to me with so many poor habits and basically have to start all over again. I see the look on their parent's faces when I give them the bad news. Sometimes it takes them awhile to realize what a terrible mistake they've made for their children. Would anyone willingly place their children in a public school or a college with a bad reputation and bad teachers? Come on, let's get real here.

#964404 - 11/13/07 06:51 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
 Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
 Quote:
Originally posted by jazzyclassical:
Everybody's different, [/b]
I'm not. [/b]
:D \:D

kbk, you may not be everybody, but you are definitely different!

#964405 - 11/13/07 07:21 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
keyboardklutz Offline

It's from the Life of Brian.

#964406 - 11/13/07 07:27 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Matahari Offline

Loc: CT
 Quote:
Originally posted by pevawi:
Mmm... a thread that takes 5 pages... a must[/b] read ;\)
So personally I wouldn't take pianitis lessons and [/b]
Me neither, but unfortunately, many people would and many already do, and think that their $25 per 1/2 hr is worth every penny. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris H.:
Hey pevawi, I'm not an accomplished cook but I do a great beans on toast. I swear it is all you'll ever need. Why don't you come round one evening and I will show you the secret. Cash only please. [/b]
Hmmm...maybe there is a demand for that in the UK. Please let us know if your toast cooking lesson sells as good as Pianitis's piano lessons. \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
 Quote:
Nobody is being forced to pay $25.
No, but they don't know any better. In other words they're being exploited (I believe it's called capitalism). [/b]
You maybe right. But just for fun, why don't we all try to convince Pianitis students that they don't know any better? Do you think those Piano Magic students in this forum don't know any better and being exploited, too? It is probably easier to convince them than to convince Pianitis students. Please, save them, maybe most of them already got injured. Many of them have been taking PM lessons for years, not only 6 months. ;\)

Look, whether you like it or not, there is a demand for this type of lessons. If I was a classical teacher (which I am not), I would see this phenomenon as an eye opener. I wouldn't see Pianitis as my competitor. But if I thought he was, I would try to treat my (just want to play for fun) students just like Pianitis treat his. I would offer those students the same thing as (or better and more interesting than) Pianitis does, at least in the first six months, to get them interested in piano lessons. Then, after that, maybe they would be interested to do more, and I could offer much more that Pianitis couldn't.

That way you don't have to be afraid you'll loose "customers" to a "charlatan". But of course, in the end, it is back to the customer. They can choose which teacher they like the best, who can actually teach them. \:\)

A sage once said that a teacher is the one who actually taught you something, not someone who (or something that) will teach you. If you tripped over a rock and that experience taught you to look where you are going, then the rock is your teacher.

In this case, if it was a book or a video that taught you to play, then it is your teacher. If it was an online lessons or a real person, then be it. It is only our arrogance who focus on a persona rather than the actual knowledge we have learnt. Even if we study under the greatest master of all, if we can't learn, there is no teacher. And each of us learn according to his/her own capacity. \:\)

#964407 - 11/13/07 09:26 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

Loc: Maryland
Whew! What a large body of work this thread is! I just wanted to comment on something that was said a couple of pages ago:

Originally posted by Musictuary:

Quote:
So hopefully my children will not suffer the way I did when I did lessons as a child. (It was not uncommon for some of the children who took lessons from this teacher to come to the lessons in tears and leave the lessons in tears as well. While I don't recall crying at lessons for many years even as an adult I felt like a complete moronic idiot around the piano thanks to this teacher's constant putdowns.)
[/b]

Here's a good question ... If lessons were so painful for you with this teacher WHY DID YOU STAY WITH HER? I think that it is horrible for a teacher to treat her students in the way that you describe, but I'd have to say that part of the blame for such an unpleasant experience lies with the student and student's parents for staying with her. I would hope that if lessons with me were causing a student to "suffer", that the student would find another teacher! (and I'd like to think that I could tell if a student thought their lessons were absolute torture, and recommend that they try another teacher or another instrument before any permanent damage was done). Why would a teacher keep a student that was obviously miserable, and why would a student/student's parents stay with such a teacher?

#964408 - 11/13/07 09:35 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
keyboardklutz Offline

Kritta, I don't think you quite understand the nature of the relationship between abused/abuser. There's nothing simple about it.

#964409 - 11/13/07 09:41 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

Originally posted by Pianitis:

Quote:
To a schooled and skilled Classical pianist... Most players they hear cannot play.
[/b]

I take great offense at this assumption that you have made (and at all of the other assumptions that you have made in past posts about "Classical" pianists)!

How could you possibly know "us" well enough to make such a generalization?

Who's being a "snob" now?

You must know some pretty jerky "classical" pianists.

#964410 - 11/13/07 09:43 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

Keyboardklutz:

Quote:

Kritta, I don't think you quite understand the nature of the relationship between abused/abuser. There's nothing simple about it.
[/b]

That's a good point, keyboardklutz, and could be one explanation as to why this relationship was not terminated.

#964411 - 11/13/07 10:15 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Pianitis Offline

Loc: South Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by kritta:
Originally posted by Pianitis:

Quote:
To a schooled and skilled Classical pianist... Most players they hear cannot play.
[/b]

I take great offense at this assumption that you have made (and at all of the other assumptions that you have made in past posts about "Classical" pianists)!

How could you possibly know "us" well enough to make such a generalization?

Who's being a "snob" now?

You must know some pretty jerky "classical" pianists. [/b]
Not at all. I believe that statement was made in reference to what is considered an "Accomplished" pianist.

The more training one has the more accomplished they feel and the less others appear to be. I have understood this thread to be one giant slam at someone who does not consider themselves "accomplished" yet feels has enough knowledge to impart to others for a fee. The longest diatribes are by those very classically trained people who feel I am not good enough (by my own admission).

It also is evident that it is the classically trained pianists who appear to be the most vocal and "offended" by my teaching others, as if there is only one way to learn an instrument and one way to enjoy an instrument fully.

No I'm not the snob. However I call em like I sees em.

I left a link to some of my original work earlier in this thread. It's funny how vocal people are against what I do and do not even give a listen to what I have done. When people hear that and realize I did all of it myself, The arrangements the playing, etc. they get excited know they may do the same thing with a half a year of lessons.

Anyone who wants to can satisfy themselves at the piano without years of method training.

#964412 - 11/13/07 10:20 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

One more post and I'm done... I swear!

I thought that this little anecdote would be appropriate in light of our discussion on different "markets" of students:

The parent of one of my students said to me a few months ago that she had met another parent at a soccer game in which their children were playing. This parent said that their kid takes piano lessons from a teacher in (my neighborhood). My student's parent asked if it was me, and the other parent replied "Oh no, we go to (name of a teacher who has a reputation for not offering a thorough program -- to say it nicely). (My name here) makes her students play in recitals, take tests, do auditions, etc. I just wanted to be able to drop my kid off for them to play the piano for half and hour a week."

I took this as one of the greatest compliments that I have ever received as a teacher! I am certainly glad that this student (after reading the material that I sent them showing what I have to offer), decided not to study with me.

Its a shame that this student will not develop to their fullest potential as a musician, but if what they really want is to be a mediocre musician and to get a partial education, that's their choice.

I just hope that is a decision that they can live with for the rest of their lives, and that they never change their mind.

#964413 - 11/13/07 10:29 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

Pianitis,

You were the one who said " To a schooled and skilled Classical pianist... Most players they hear cannot play".

I didn't insert the word "Classical" as opposed to "accomplished" -- you did!

If that's not what you meant, then please try harder to say what you mean next time.

About "judging" you without listening to your work... I listened to it a few minutes ago. It was fine - not my cup of tea, but that's alright. I think that the "classical" musicians on this forum aren't trying to say that all music that isn't "classical" is bad -- they aren't saying that playing music that isn't "classical" is playing the piano the "wrong" way.

When others have spoken about playing correctly or incorrectly, they are speaking about HOW one uses one's body and actually does the playing -- not about WHAT they are playing.

As for my opinion, to echo that of others, I think that it is fine that you are offering lessons (with full disclosure) to those that want them. I see that there is a market for these lessons. I realize that the rate you charge is based upon what the market will bear, and that this is just capitalizm at work.............................

but I think that it really sucks that someone who is only partially qualified is charging as much (or in many cases, more) that those who are exceedingly qualified (IN ANY FIELD).

#964414 - 11/13/07 10:47 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matahari:
Look, whether you like it or not, there is a demand for this type of lessons. If I was a classical teacher (which I am not), I would see this phenomenon as an eye opener. I wouldn't see Pianitis as my competitor. But if I thought he was, I would try to treat my (just want to play for fun) students just like Pianitis treat his. I would offer those students the same thing as (or better and more interesting than) Pianitis does, at least in the first six months, to get them interested in piano lessons. Then, after that, maybe they would be interested to do more, and I could offer much more that Pianitis couldn't.
[/b]
I think this is a great post and gets at the main issue: which is that Pianitis is meeting a real desire among adult beginners for a more casual introduction to piano.

I've read a lot of threads here talking about studio policies etc. As Kritta notes above, many of the teachers here have a fairly rigid, and demanding, set of policies, e.g., students must commit to a year's worth of lessons, or at least a semester; students must participate in recitals; students must prepare and sit for exams; etc. While I see the benefits of this kind of system for teachers, and while these kinds of policies may work for many students, there are a lot of adult beginners who are not prepared to make that kind of time and financial investment. That is the population Pianitis is serving. Offering a shorter course of instruction geared to capture the beginner's interest in piano would seem to be a very good idea.

#964415 - 11/13/07 11:00 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Pianitis,

Is not the medical suffix - "itis" - the word used to describe "inflammation"? Pianitis = inflammation like arthr-itis, bronch-itis, tendon-itis?

I'm also thinking that you don't have to invest any money into your "business" - no light bills to pay, no toilets to clean, no advertising to buy, you've got a good situation going there for yourself. The IRS is going to want to hear about your "part time work at $25 an hour with no expenses to pay." Smiling all the way to the bank, I'm sure.

Do you get paid in cash only?

I can't wait to read the testimonials from your customers. You come highly rated when you speak of yourself.

#964416 - 11/13/07 11:05 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
I studied piano under professionals who are "accomplished pianists" (though not classical).

However, I don't see the problem of pianitis teaching chords and melody on keyboards which is a whole different thing anyway. This style of playing is not too different from those playing those home style furniture organs in the 80's that had unweighted keys.

It's a different kind of playing and people buying these instruments should know that. That's how I learned to play guitar anyway and that kept me entertained for a long time. Pretty minimal technique would be required for organ sounds with pads (non-percussive). As far as I can see Pianitis is selling to a different instrument market than piano teachers. Complaining about him is like complaining about half the guitar teachers out there who charge that same amount and teach basically the same stuff on a "non-piano" instrument.

Now if Pianitis wishes to teach the same concepts on the piano, then I think we can all agree he has to add more to the equation. I think he made it clear what instrument he teaches on. In fact, as he clearly states, he is quite an expert on manipulating electronic keyboards and probably better than most piano teachers that posted here.

#964417 - 11/13/07 11:06 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Monica K. Offline

Gosh, that's a lot of hostility there, Betty, not at all like your usual upbeat posts. \:\(

I also think it's rather unfair to imply that Pianitis is cheating on his/her taxes... nothing at all has been said to suggest that in the least.

#964418 - 11/13/07 11:28 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Pianitis Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kritta:
Pianitis,

[QUOTE] You were the one who said " To a schooled and skilled Classical pianist... Most players they hear cannot play".I didn't insert the word "Classical" as opposed to "accomplished" -- you did!
Because thats the distinct impression I received after reading the posts of those vehemently opposed to the thought I should be paid to impart my knowledge. What is an accomplished pianist?

It totally depends on ones OWN training and opinion. IS Ray Charles accomplished. I would say far beyond many here because he actually found a market for his accomplishments and students of his style. Like Mozart perhaps in his day. He can't read a note, never took formal lessons, used the piano as a tool of expression.
 Quote:
About "judging" you without listening to your work... I listened to it a few minutes ago. It was fine - not my cup of tea, but that's alright. I think that the "classical" musicians on this forum aren't trying to say that all music that isn't "classical" is bad -- they aren't saying that playing music that isn't "classical" is playing the piano the "wrong" way.
Of course it won't be. But a beginner hears that and gives me credit for a lot more training them I have. I tell them I don't have formal training and learned how to do that using alternative methods.
They want to learn those methods. They want to create. They do not want to be concert pianists or play recitals. I have parents asking me to train their children. I have no interest in training younger than teens. Let them try formal lessons first. If they don't like them I will then have a peek.

Many on the forum placing a lot of emphasis on reading and "proper" technique,rote exercises,and imply those are required to be an "accomplished" player. I say they are required IF you want to play difficult classical pieces. Most jazz players do not copy another's improvisation. I can teach them to improvise. In fact improvisation in my opinion is more important then reading another's work (unless one wants a job playing a show)

Improv is creating. Reading is imitating. You want to play other's work exclusively as written I'm not the guy.

Quote:
When others have spoken about playing correctly or incorrectly, they are speaking about HOW one uses one's body and actually does the playing -- not about WHAT they are playing.
That's fine. Every baseball player has his own batting stance, Every golfer his own, In any physical activity there are variables. Long fingers vs short stubby fingers. I let the student decide whats comfortable for them and suggest alternatives ONLY if they are having difficulty playing something that can be helped. I take the bushes away. There is NO wrong way if they achieve what they want to achieve. I do not judge their playing I ask them what THEY think is right or wrong.

Quote:
As for my opinion, to echo that of others, I think that it is fine that you are offering lessons (with full disclosure) to those that want them. I see that there is a market for these lessons. I realize that the rate you charge is based upon what the market will bear, and that this is just capitalizm at work.............................

but I think that it really sucks that someone who is only partially qualified is charging as much (or in many cases, more) that those who are exceedingly qualified (IN ANY FIELD). [/b]
Thats because in my opinion those who have made music training their lives see it as a science more then art. They truly believe it is a skill that requires a long apprentice period before one can claim to be professional (ie take money for their art). They are frustrated with those who attain success with much less training. They do not feel anyone could possibly enjoy playing music without all the tools and skills they have. They forgot somewhere along the way.

Music is fun, There is no right or wrong, Good or bad is in solely in the ears of the beholder.
There is a place for properly trained players and plenty who want and will pay for that disciplined training. However it is not the end all.

There is no universally recognized or required teaching "certification" for musicians only award and reward. My music is my certification. IF they don't like it, they move on.

#964419 - 11/13/07 11:46 AM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monica,

You're right, I'm being rude.

Nothing has been said about unpaid taxes before in this topic, let me be the first to bring that to attention. It IS a requirement of our government.

It came to mind because Pianitis is cutting corners so much in his teaching approach,he isn't doing lesson plans, he is providing a "packaged approach" with certain content, and has minimal responsibilites in the keeping of his business. It made me wonder if the IRS is going to get the short stick, too.

There has been a lot of disrespect and criticism about piano teachers especially if they seem "traditional" or "classical". That, too, when it appears seems quite rude to me.

The ex-student complaining about piano lesson experiences and placing the onus on the teacher forgets that they were part of the equation, too. Interaction between the student and the teacher produced less than perfect results. Sometimes that is because they choose a teacher who could not deliver, and sometimes that is because the student did not put effort into the lessons. I believe good teachers know how to effect good outcomes especially if there is a good developing relationship between the principle players - the teacher - the student - parent (if they are in the picture)

Monica said: "Betty, not at all like your usual upbeat posts."

Monica, I am a very encouraging person and generous with information to others. I remain so. I'm getting to be as old as Methuselah and I've taught for a long time wanting to enable others to reach their fullest capacity musically, and to achieve their goals and dreams. I have courage, conviction, commitment, and character. I don't teach in chaos and confusion.

I'm provoked that others can give much less than that and pop culture and current social norms can not make the distinction between services that empower and those that provide entertainment - leisure value.

As far as I'm concerned this is 6 pages of provocation to established piano teachers - an affront to what we stand for.

I am not the least bit envious of his earning possibilities, or the fact that he is attracting customers. He's thinking business enterprize. I'm quoting Plato in my signature.

It is about receiving disrespect over and over for those of us who do our job really well, with seriousness of purpose, commitment to the outcome, investment in other people in building musical relationships, and with good intentions all around for a successful outcome.

Sputter, sputter! That's where I am at this moment over this situation.

What would really be great is for someone to sincerely tell us how appreciated we are and how greatly we affect them. I know it's there, but not frequently enough.

Betty

#964420 - 11/13/07 12:09 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
Sorry. Can't take this lying down. Betty if you think that my lessons do not empower because I teach pop, you ought to talk to my students parents who have been through the "traditional" approach and sit in on my lessons and learn a whole lot about how music works and how to get the piano to sound good.
It doesnt matter if it is pop or classical, harmony functions the same way. It still is largely derived from the major scale, which is the first thing pianitis says he teaches his students.

#964421 - 11/13/07 12:15 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
There has been a lot of disrespect and criticism about piano teachers especially if they seem "traditional" or "classical". That, too, when it appears seems quite rude to me. [/b]
Disrespect is rude; criticism--phrased politely-- is not.

Quote:
I'm provoked that others can give much less than that and pop culture and current social norms can not make the distinction between services that empower and those that provide entertainment - leisure value.
[/b]
This is the point that has baffled me the most throughout this thread. Pianitis, and most of us non-teachers who have responded to the thread, can and do make this distinction. There is nobody here arguing that Pianitis's lessons do anything but provide people with the ability to entertain themselves and which gives them great leisure value. But what is so wrong with that???

I think the 6 pages of this thread are due to a false dichotomy: Some people see it as a choice between "traditional" lessons (however we define that) vs. Pianitis, where I see it as in actuality a choice between Pianitis's lessons or nothing. I get the impression that some of the people on this thread would rather people do nothing musically related than have them take Pianitis's lessons. That just plain boggles my mind.

#964422 - 11/13/07 12:19 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete the bean:
Betty if you think that my lessons do not empower because I teach pop, you ought to talk to my students parents who have been through the "traditional" approach and sit in on my lessons and learn a whole lot about how music works and how to get the piano to sound good.
It doesnt matter if it is pop or classical, harmony functions the same way. It still is largely derived from the major scale, which is the first thing pianitis says he teaches his students. [/b]
You posted while I was writing, Pete... so I want to clarify that my comment about Pianitis offering entertainment vs. empowerment is restricted to Pianitis's teaching approach as he describes it, and I am not implying here that all pop-based approaches are superficial or provide merely "leisure value." As you argue very persuasively, that is not at all necessarily the case.

#964423 - 11/13/07 12:20 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete the bean:
Sorry. Can't take this lying down. Betty if you think that my lessons do not empower because I teach pop, you ought to talk to my students parents who have been through the "traditional" approach and sit in on my lessons and learn a whole lot about how music works and how to get the piano to sound good.
It doesnt matter if it is pop or classical, harmony functions the same way. It still is largely derived from the major scale, which is the first thing pianitis says he teaches his students. [/b]
It's sound 'well'.

#964424 - 11/13/07 12:22 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Pete the bean,

I love pop and all styles, I teach social music before classical starts. Classical is presented in small snatches during lessons over a year or two before we get to doing serious classical study.

You are assuming that classical teachers are stick in the mud elitist and purist and the grand piano and the performance stage is the goal for my students.

My goal is that they are a capable musician to the extent that they want to travel the path.

Don't lay down, stand up, it's OK. I don't mind controversy and difference of opinions. Exchanging of ideas is always good. In the end, I will learn more about Pianitis and his method - it may be a remarkable godsend - however, I don't think it's enough to offer.

In hearing his audio, his voice, lyrics, and sound, rhythm are good - he must have incredible natural talents - because one does not acquire enough skill from 6 months of piano lessons to approach music like that and to sound like that.

He sounds professional, actually.

Pete the bean, I'm sure your lessons represent you, as does Pianitis. Mine represent me. In this way we are different. Many, many teachers far surpass me in performance ability, but in teaching, I've gotten to a highly proficient level. And, I think everyone should aspire to their own highest level of achievement.

"Education is more than preparation for life, it's life itself" by John Dewey.

Modify that to say "Music education is more than preparation for life, it's life itself." (Modified by Betty Patnude)

Betty

#964425 - 11/13/07 12:26 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Pianitis:
 Quote:
No I'm not the snob. However I call em like I sees em.
In fact, I disagree. Perhaps you should reread your own posts. "Snobiness" does not only go one-way...

Again, this post will probably be ignored but meh...

Quote:
Improv is creating. Reading is imitating. You want to play other's work exclusively as written I'm not the guy.
If you really think that playing classical music is nothing but imitation than you don't know much about it....

We're all basing this discussion off Pianitis' inccorect premise that other than him, there exists only boring teachers with rulers, etc.... I still do not understand why....I started "traditional" piano lessons an year ago and I know how to improvise, I've composed my own music for contests and I also have a somewhat good ear. Chord progressions, melodies, these are all things I've learned as part of the curriculum, especially the theory...

I've said this a lot but still I get no response...

....by the way, I self-taught myself before I started taking lessons....

#964426 - 11/13/07 12:35 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
Monica, it's not that we would have people do something that's unrelated to music; rather, if someone wants to learn and wants to do so through chord training, without having to read, okay, that's fine. That's the joy of music.

But to have someone like Pianitis, who says he's only "noodled around" offer lessons that are rather highly priced, that's the problem. I don't think we teachers would have as much of a problem if this was a jazz pianist or even a rock pianist teaching what they knew. As long as they are professionals, have the experience, and the background to teach. Walk the walk, talk the talk.

Pianitis says he sells Clavinovas. If I were an adult beginner seeking lessons I would rather learn from a local musician than a Clavi salesman. Face it - when looking for a teacher, "piano salesman" doesn't come to mind. I would perhaps ask if he knew where I might acquire lessons to do what he is doing.

I haven't posted lately in this thread because I haven't felt like I'd be objective enough to write anything remotely approaching coherence, but that's the gist of why I'm upset. I have a student right now who is not interested in playing the piano. She's taking some lessons with me because she's in percussion at school and needed help with understanding scales and basic theory. We have graduated to learning piano the way Pianitis teaches it. Just last night, I taught her I-IV-V and we practiced finding it in almost every key imaginable. We listed about 10-12 songs that use the I-IV-V-V7 progression and she was excited to try it with a lot of things. But next week I plan to return to note reading so that she'll have the ability to read a lead sheet easily. This is the bonus that my education and the life I have spent in this discipline can offer.

The teacher always needs to be above and beyond the student. If Pianitis said he himself were taking lessons to better himself I think I'd have a lot less ire over what he's doing. But he's not even improving on what he's done. That is what teaching is about, to me. Demonstrating the skills, evoking a love of what we're doing, and constantly bettering oneself to be able to stay ahead of the student, to be able to face those obstacles and knock them down easily. Can Pianitis do this? If wants to charge that sum of money to teach, is he willing to lay some pride down and take lessons himself? Perhaps if he acted more like a teacher and less like a disgruntled adult with a chip on his shoulder, we'd welcome him more in the teachers' forum.

Edited to add: I wanted to put this postscript in before any criticism comes out. I do take my own advice. This previous Sunday was the first piano lesson I've had in about two years. I wanted lessons because I want to better myself, get a higher education. I went in there with a little bit of pride, and came out well and thoroughly humbled, embarrassed even. There is still so much to do, so much to learn and relearn. And I'm excited to share what I've learned - once I've gotten much better at it, of course - with my students. The price I am paying for these lessons is on par with what Pianitis is charging.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#964427 - 11/13/07 12:46 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

This is a continuation of what I feel about aspiring to be your best possible musician.

Quote by Nelson Mandela:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it is in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

If I am 'purist' or 'elitist' because of my idealism, so be it. You should see me in every day clothes, I'm as human as the next person. It's my thinking about aspirations and intentions that gives lift to a higher realm within my being.

Betty

#964428 - 11/13/07 12:49 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
kritta Offline

Minaku,

I couldn't have said it better myself!

#964429 - 11/13/07 12:50 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Misha Offline

Loc: Natick, MA
I believe Pianitus (sp?) offers a novel approach to teaching piano for those out there who want to learn to play for their own pleasure ... after all the students are the customers, who pay, and are therefore right (to a certain extent). It almost feels to me, after reading the many many many posts on this topic, that there's an unofficial union out there and no one wants anyone to teach what's not officially sanctioned. This is understandable for those who have studied and practiced for many years, but capitalism (after all this is a music business) works by catering to what the market wants and willing to pay for.

I was one of those child students who gave up the piano because the traditional learning methods did not work for me. However I've come back as an adult and have a very strict teacher, but this now works for me as a much older adult, although this arrangement does try my nerves sometimes as mastering a classical piece takes a lot of patience and time. However, I would like to learn to play just for fun some popular songs, and would be willing to pay for it. So I say offer people what they want, be up front about what you're offering and capable of, and the rest will take care of itself.

#964430 - 11/13/07 12:52 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Offtopic:

I'm a little surprised a moderator hasn't stepped in to say something, so I will.

I think you can have a highly productive, highly spirited 'civilized' debate without all the personal attacks being made here. Its great to have differing points of view, which allows new perspectives to be voiced and that benefits everyone.

If you disagree with an idea or point or view, respectfully, may I suggest you attack the idea[/b] and 'not' the person. Attacking the person will inevitably result in like and progressively escalating retaliation. Without self restraint and civility, we will soon be throwing food at one another, which will then likely result in the closure of this thread (so that everyone calms down).

Let's not degrade the quality of an otherwise civilized[/b] conversation.

#964431 - 11/13/07 12:56 PM Re: Self taught piano player teaching non traditional methods due to need...
Pianitis Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
Pianitis,

Is not the medical suffix - "itis" - the word used to describe "inflammation"? Pianitis = inflammation like arthr-itis, bronch-itis, tendon-itis?

I'm also thinking that you don't have to invest any money into your "business" - no light bills to pay, no toilets to clean, no advertising to buy, you've got a good situation going there for yourself. The IRS is going to want to hear about your "part time work at $25 an hour with no expenses to pay." Smiling all the way to the bank, I'm sure.

Do you get paid in cash only?

I can't wait to read the testimonials from your customers. You come highly rated when you speak of yourself. [/b]
Relax Ms. Patnude. I declare my income from that. Its hardly worth declaring but when you deal with the public you had better declare income received by them.

I do this because I ENJOY it. The money is secondary as it should be and usually is when people are doing what they love for it. I have done that all my life.In fact you could say I have not worked a day in my life since college. My customers "testimonials" will not be forthcoming. As you declared I have no need to advertise. Therefore "testimonials" are not necessary. Its very informal around here. Yes I do pay for my lights. I take checks cash and nothing sometimes. First lesson is always free and it goes well past a half hour as we get to know each other and they decide whether they want to continue or go for a more traditional method upon which I supply them a list of teachers.

I'm sorry there is so much bitterness regarding this. I expected some. I was really looking to share ideas and concepts with other like minded teachers but apparently they were driven off.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (ADWyatt, Almaviva, ando, 52 invisible), 1651 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249302 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission