2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#964730 09/08/06 05:56 AM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
I am an adult, intermediate level, taking lessons with someone I enjoy and like quite a bit. Most of the lesson is taken up with talking (about music), very little playing. For example, she may analyze the piece or talk about the composer.

While this is of interest, I play no more than 1-2 minutes out of the hour. I am not sure if the time would be better spent with my playing more and getting feedback and recommendations on my playing. I am not sure why so much talking....

#964731 09/08/06 08:23 AM
W
W
That doesn't sound like a good ratio to me. I'm usually the one trying to get the student to talk less and play more.

Does this teacher come across as talking too much to everyone she meets? Does she have other adult students? If you are her only adult student, it may be that she doesn't know what to do with you other than talk forever.

The problem is that I can't think of a way to get her to concentrate on actual piano playing without hurting feelings and possibly the entire relationship. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

With talkative students, I've had to abruptly cut them off with some kind of short comment on what they said, then before they could take a breath, ask them to play a specific section for me. I's a pain when you have to do it over and over again. With talkative students, I try to never, ever add anything to the conversation that would keep them going.

If you aren't comfortable directly saying, "Look, shut up for a minute." could you break in somewhere and say, "I've worked really hard on this beautiful piece. I'm dying to show it to you!"

I don't know. I've got a friend in my life who is not in any way related to piano. She is dear friend of our family, but sometimes she simply drives me crazy because of her non-stop talking. I've never yet been successful in getting her to quit when she's really on a roll!

#964732 09/08/06 11:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i am a student and on some days i talk and dont realize it when i play, and she will simply say you could probably play that right if you would quit talking, then i just go oh, yeah your right....but if it were the other way around, i would show up early to talk to her about how you would really like to be critiqued on your playing etc. etc.

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
#964733 09/08/06 11:44 AM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The primary advantage to taking lessons is the ability to get feedback on your playing, including fingering, positioning, dynamics, etc. etc. If you're not doing that during your lesson, you might as well be taking internet lessons or reading a book.

If it were me, I'd start the next lesson with "There's something I need to talk to you about..." and see how it goes from there. If you don't get immediate and dramatic change, look for a different teacher who will critique your playing.

#964734 09/08/06 12:18 PM
F
F
I agree with Monica; perhaps you can direct the lesson more by asking to play and then asking specifically for help on certain things. As you suspect, you should be playing more during the lesson, and getting feedback.

I had the same problem with my teacher; more social hour than lesson. I switched to another teacher and am much more satisfied.

#964735 09/08/06 02:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I tend to be a talkative teacher (can you tell by my lenghty posts?). But I am keenly aware of it and if I find myself starting to go on and on, I stop mid-stream and say, "ok, go ahead and play such and such now." Occasionally if it's my fault from too much talking about the music and not enough allowing the student to play, I've given them extra minutes past time to make sure they get all played they had worked on and look at something new. At a lesson this week, I got to discussing practice with a student and used too much time on the subject so gave extra time to get through the lesson.

Of course, the kids sometimes do too much talking too and I try to sound interested while keeping the conversation down to a few minutes.

With this teacher, it doesn't sound good at all especially when you have a whole hour, unless she were giving theory or analysis lessons rather than piano lessons. You could chime in and say, "I have been having this certain problem in such and such piece of music I'd really like to play for you and get your advice." And later, "I worked a lot on such and such and would like to play it for you."

Of course, you shouldn't have to do that.

Monica's advice is good about just having a talk with her about it.

I think at lessons, the majority of the time should be spent on a student doing and actively participating.

If the problem is not solved and your not getting much feedback on how your doing on your playing, then it might be best to switch teachers.

#964736 09/09/06 06:50 AM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone. The advice is to tell her I would like to play more, either before the lesson or during. It's amazing how afraid we become of hurting the teacher's feelings...

The talking is never social, always about music and of interest. Even so, I do sometimes agree with Monica, that I could be getting much of this info with a book.

The teacher has mostly children students. Since I am at an intermediate level, I know most of the basics. Perhaps it is more challenging for a teacher to teach a "higher" level pianist. On the other hand, maybe she feels that if I understand the dynamics and underlying ideas of the music, I will be able to interpret/play better??

#964737 09/09/06 09:52 AM
I don't agree. I have the best teacher in the world. I've had two others in the past that are quite the accomplished teachers/players and I wouldnt' pay them a dime to teach me again.

You see, I think every student is different and if you're like me, then you need someone to explain why things sound/feel that way.

My lesson is 3 hours long and we play probably 10 minutes. He's ability to teach me theory is absolutely incredible. It works for me because I want to play by ear and do improvisation. For me, I can't learn that way unless I find out why and how it's done. He does most of the talking, but I am truly an inquisitive person and he takes the time to explain every and anything I ask.

I know why certain notes sound good with others, why sometimes you should use a closed chord or an open chord, or why you should use a walking bass, swing bass or any other kind of bass.

I love this guy. He is truly a great teacher. Theory is the way for me and you can't play it, you have to learn it first by talking about it.

I tried Monica's idea about reading books etc., but there's no way a book can teach me like my teacher is.

Yes, if you understand the dynamics and underlying ideas of music, you will be a better student at composing, interpreting, and become a better piano player.

NOPE! Let your teacher explain it all. SHe's right in her ways.

Now, if she talks about her kids, or pets during your lesson, then that's a whole new story.

Good Luck! I would stick with her any day!

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
#964738 09/09/06 10:16 AM
W
W
But with that idea, Piano Gal, you can end up with all the musical information in the world, but still never be able to play worth a dime.

I disagree wholeheartedly with that notion. For instance, I can read and study everything ever written about ice-skating. I could talk to coaches and choreogrphers by the dozens and for hours on end, but until I get out there and actually do it, I'll never get to the Olympics. (Can't skate anyway! laugh )

#964739 09/09/06 12:02 PM
WKS70, we all have a different way of learning and my teacher will, as I advance, focus on dynamics, touch, etc.

I'm not a totally beginner and I've been playing a few years, so my fundamentals are pretty sound. He checked them in the beginning.

You see, I'm not a robot and I don't do well with a "play like this, or skate like this". I want to know why is "like this" the right way. What makes this wrong and this right.

If it makes sense to me, then I can learn it. If a teacher tells me to use more wrist, less arms, more finger/arm weight. I don't just do it, I ask why? When they explain why, then I get it.

He doesn't teacher everyone like he does me. He customizes based on the student.

Musical information is what helps me to be a better player. It's truly the right way to learn for me.

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
#964740 09/09/06 12:53 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
*shakes head*

That is not good. I used to have the same thing.
YES, it is good to talk about the music, fundamentals, dynamics, technique and such. But 1-2 minutes out of an hour? 60 minutes? I think you're not wasting money, but time. You could've accomplished much much more in the time you've been playing with him IF you'd played at LEAST 40-45 minutes of that time instead of 1-2.

If you like talking, then I suggest increasing your lesson to an hour and a half.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
#964741 09/09/06 01:48 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it doesn't sound like you having good lessons. you might need to take control of a lesson yourself by offering to play whatever you need to play.

i talk with my teacher a lot, but that's extra which usually is not included to the lesson time. i usually will play through all the pieces i'm learning or polishing for my teacher, sometimes i'd be asked to play a piece again if the first time playing didn't sound good to my teacher. so, my playing time will occupy at least of half lesson time (1 hour), plus my teacher talking, commenting, demonstrating or even sometimes helping me with better fingering.

#964742 09/10/06 07:16 AM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Piano Gal:
you need someone to explain why things sound/feel that way.

I know why certain notes sound good with others, why sometimes you should use a closed chord or an open chord, or why you should use a walking bass, swing bass or any other kind of bass.

Yes, if you understand the dynamics and underlying ideas of music, you will become a better piano player.
I agree with this Piano Gal, and I do profit from her explanations of how, why, when, etc. I'll probably say to her next time when we are about 3/4 way through the lesson that we need to get to the piece I'm working on.

Bottom line is that we have a really good rapport, and I think she really enjoys giving me the lesson, as I am a motivated adult (?)

Her enthusiasm is great and I am happy with our lessons. Sometimes my impatience kicks in (oh, when will I get that magic lesson that will propell me into virtuosity?)

#964743 09/10/06 09:42 AM
M
M
Theory is important.... practice is equally important. Once you have learned the basic theory, perhaps YOU can do the analysis at home and return with your score for corrections. A number of my students have all previously had the same teacher, who talked too much. Music can be explained in words, but the reason there theory exists in the first place is to explain sounds that have become part of our musical grammar. I think there is great value in few words, particularly with a topic like music. I am a theory advocate myself, but without putting it into practice it is indeed useless information. A quote I picked up along the way (and have since forgot who coined it:) "That which cannot be expressed in words is music." There is truth to that. Make your suggestion of more music during your lessons. If this fails, I would question the teacher's ability to teach someone of your level. Good luck!

-You are the music while the music lasts.
T.S. Elliot
#964744 09/10/06 09:52 PM
M
M
Is it possible to ring your piano teacher outside of your lessons? Mine do, if they have something they like to talk about,and if it's important I don't mind.

You could start by letting her know how much you enjoy your lessons, how you look forward to them, and how much you're learning from her, then add, "I was thinking, I'd really like to focus on ...THIS -" whatever the THIS is, "could you help me in this cause I'd really like to make this my priority."

Don't be afraid of hurting feelings - even if that's what the result ends up being - we're pretty resilient creatures, she will bounce back even if she's slightly put out at first. She's probably not even aware that you are getting frustrated.

I don't think - at this stage - you need to mention your frustration or anything negative, use the positive, excited "I really want to do this" approach - with any luck she'll take it on board.

I think there's still quite a bit you could try before having to resort to a different teacher... but get the ball rolling now, because what you suspect is DEFINITELY true, she's talking WAY too much, and you're not getting the 'teaching' you actually need.
All the best.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission