Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#964854 - 06/11/07 06:52 PM Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am starting teaching and hoping to find some beginner and/or advanced beginner students.

I was planning on putting out 10,000 8 1/2 by 11 flyers each week in my newspaper's Sunday papers over an 8 week period. (total of 80,000 flyers) The flyers are simple with a direct message inviting people to experience "the joy" of learning to play the piano, and also offering a free lesson.

I wondered if anyone has ever done flyer ads of a similiar nature, and if so, what percentage response did you get?

Based on what I read about this advertising I would hope to get about 1/4 of one percent phone calls from the flyer and 1/14 of those as students which would be around 14 new students. Can anyone comment on this?

I know word of mouth is the best, but I just moved here and don't really know many people yet.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#964855 - 06/11/07 09:11 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Piano&Flute Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have never tried it, but depending on the demand in your area I would think that it would be a very effective way of advertising. I have heard with flyer adds that people have to see an add an average of three times before they phone, so I would recommend sending them out more than once. But it seems like a very professional way of advertising.

#964856 - 06/12/07 11:27 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes-I appreciate your thoughts about this. I think I am going to try it.

#964857 - 06/12/07 12:13 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Karen, I have no idea what your local paper charges for this, but ours is very, very expensive. I have found want ads as very inefficient. Few people read the paper any more. Depending upon costs, you might look at direct mailing for an area of a couple mile radius around your studio. Even that's relatively expensive. It's also possible to request a mailing list of students enrolled in public school (at least their addresses) so you can target mailings to the appropriate age level.

Finally, you might try hiring some teens to deliver a flyer to homes in your immediate area.

#964858 - 06/12/07 12:20 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Piano&Flute Offline

John, I agree with you about classified adds in newspapers, but I would consider a flyer delivered with a newspaper quite different from a want add. Direct mailing might reach more people though. Definitely worth looking at the cost of each.

#964859 - 06/12/07 12:25 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:

Finally, you might try hiring some teens to deliver a flyer to homes in your immediate area. [/b]
This might be more effective than the flyer in the paper. I know that I don't even look at the fliers in my local paper; I just toss them in the recycle bin.

Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer.

#964860 - 06/12/07 01:33 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
elainelynn Offline

Loc: Michigan
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
[QUOTE]Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer. [/b]
Or, just send letters to school music teachers with your contact info and background - they are always getting inquiries from parents about private piano lessons.

\:\)

Elaine

#964861 - 06/12/07 03:05 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by elainelynn:
Or, just send letters to school music teachers with your contact info and background - they are always getting inquiries from parents about private piano lessons.

\:\)

Elaine [/b]
I was just going to suggest this! Get to knwo the musci teachrs in your area, especially in the elementary schools. You may even want to call them up or meet with them, but that may not be easy to do. But once people get to know your name in the community, it really helps. Also, you may be able to post flyers with phone number tabs at local music stores, so get to know your local music dealer as well.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#964862 - 06/12/07 06:30 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Get your listing going on some of the music teacher directories with your profile, photo, info etc. Get a website going with one if possible. 1) Learning Musician 2) Lesson Portal 3) Click for Lessons there are several to choose from. Then get some business cards telling people to "Google" your name. if you are already on the internet with articles, postings, etc. I priced "Coffee News" for a 13 week period and found it very desirable but not affordable for my small business. It might be affordable for others as everyone seems to read the local publications and they are available everywhere. Doing things in person really helps, get out and meet the people, however that is possible in your area. And maybe join MTNA via a California chapter? Good luck. Let us know how you are doing! Hope this gives you a few ideas.

#964863 - 06/13/07 01:38 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
 Quote:
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:

Finally, you might try hiring some teens to deliver a flyer to homes in your immediate area. [/b]
This might be more effective than the flyer in the paper. I know that I don't even look at the fliers in my local paper; I just toss them in the recycle bin.

Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer. [/b]
I don't *ever* look at the fliers in my local paper either, yet, it was through a newspaper flyer that I found my tax accountant.

I would be interested in knowing what the approximate cost of inserting a flyer in a local newspaper might be. Certainly, the best time of year to do that is the beginning of September. It might be money less well spent if it were done during the summer months.

Regards,

#964864 - 06/13/07 02:42 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Tara Offline

Loc: california
Karen

I have had very good luck with fliers in the past, but I delivered them door to door. I didnt do nearly as many as you are thinking about and I got several students from this. I think it's a great idea.

Good luck!!

#964865 - 06/13/07 03:35 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Piano&Flute Offline

Many printing places will even do up door hanger flyers for door to door delivery. Also depending on your budget and how many students you want to recruit, the business card magnets are great. They stick to metal doors and tend to hang around houses longer than flyers.

#964866 - 06/14/07 12:04 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

You know, Stephanie, that might be a gold mine. The magnetic stickers. If you could get the schools in your area to place them in welcome packages for 1st graders, or give them to local "Welcome to our community" groups that hand out welcome packages.

#964867 - 06/14/07 12:14 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

The cost for flyers in the paper is around $250 per 10,000. If I did it I would use stiff paper. Our newspaper does not usually have flyers of this nature in it; the advertising consists mainly of newspaper thickness advertisements in classified format. So they would probably get noticed. The magnet idea is really cool, and I agree it seems like they would stick around awhile. Another idea I thought of is to attend a local festival and have a little table with a music poster/flyer there and something to take home about a free lesson ....and my phone number....Okay...this will be more fun than my first career....

#964868 - 06/14/07 12:28 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
An even faster way to deliver the flyers would be to hire teens . . . who rollerblade!

Diane,
Blues/Jazz/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

#964869 - 06/14/07 09:32 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Tara Offline

Loc: california
Here, we have actual flyer delivery services who will go door to door and distribute. When I checked into it once the cost started at about 250.00 and went up from there depending on how many flyers you wanted delivered. I see these people all over the place and I get flyers myself all the time on my door.

#964870 - 06/14/07 10:35 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
dumdumdiddle Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I've done the flier-in-the-newspaper idea. The cost was similar to what was mentioned above but I had to have the fliers already printed (an additional cost), then I had to take them to the newspaper. And I think it's more like 10% response. Yes, it's pricey but I look at it like this: if one person signs up and stays for the year, it's paid for itself. And if more students sign up, that's where you make your money.

I've only done fliers once. I like it better than putting an actual ad in the newspaper because newspapers are throw-away material, and the chance of someone seeing a flier is much better than a small ad in the paper.

For the same price as quoted above, you could do direct mail advertising. It's good to try a few things and see what works. The key is to get your name out there in a variety of ways so that people will remember your name.

***I'm trying something new in the next few weeks: I will be part of a TV informercial that features various local businesses. It's a 2-minute spot that's part of a 30-minute program. It will run several times a week. Cost is $400 a month for a 3-month committment.

#964871 - 06/14/07 11:42 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

karenabcde - $250/10,000 sheets is an excellent price, IMHO. What you might consider doing is going in with two or three other teachers who live in other parts of town and come up with a joint flyer featuring the three or four of you as piano teachers. There may be other music teachers who would be interested. For example, at Tuesday's teacher's meeting, a new string and voice teacher introduced themselves. They would be prime candidates for joining you and sharing advertizing expenses.

D3 - thanks for the feedback. It's nice to have some verification of whether an idea is practical or not.

#964872 - 06/14/07 09:37 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh-the $250 per 10,000 flyers includes the art work. All I have to do is give them my draft and they will put it into printable form at the newspaper art department.

Teens who rollerblade!!!
So what list company has a list of houses with children in it?

#964873 - 06/14/07 11:01 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
dumdumdiddle Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If you look in the Yellow Pages under 'Mailing Lists', you'll find several nationwide companies. You give them the zip codes you want to target, the age range (say, 0-10 or 0-18), minimum income (say 40K), and homeowner or apartment dwellers. The cost is per 1000 names/addresses.

#964874 - 06/15/07 12:08 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice, dumdumdiddle.
Thank you for the info.

#964875 - 06/15/07 12:10 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice, dumdumdiddle.
Thank you for the info.

#964876 - 06/27/07 04:21 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Alex P. Keaton Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I am currently looking for a teacher, and I found quite a few postings for teachers on Craigs List. Just google "craigs list" and your city and it should come up. There is a section under "Services" called "Lessons" which is where the various lessons are posted.

I haven't found a teacher yet, but I have a few interviews coming up.

#964877 - 06/28/07 04:48 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

karenabcde - your idea of flyers in the paper has been been germinating in my noggin for a while. I finally down-loaded the rate sheet and called our local paper to confirm I was calculating it correctly. The Sunday paper is $350/10,000. $340/10,000 for the other days. Circulation is 42,000. So you can see it would cost roughly $1,470, and that doesn't include printing costs.

However, sitting at the local teachers meeting, it occurred to me that six or eight of us could go together and get the price way down. We've got a new violin teacher, a new voice teacher, and then by adding four piano teachers, from each side of town so we're not competing geographically, we could probably get the total cost down to a manageable figure.

Thansk again for the idea. If I can talk them into it, I will report on how it comes out.

#964878 - 06/29/07 09:44 AM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Anonymous
Unregistered

John-This seems like a very scientific approach!

#964879 - 06/29/07 05:14 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can't see spending that much for flyers in the newspaper. (unless you went in with a group of teachers like John suggests) Especially the Sunday paper, which is full of inserts that I usually just toss without looking at.

Parents who want their children to study music are a very specialized group. Location is also very important, so if you do flyers, I would do something door-to-door or direct mail in just one part of town. I've been very successful in a private school in town too. Parents who see an importance in putting their children in private school are usually the ones who also want music lessons for their children (and will help them to succeed in music) Students usually have a back-to-school night, and maybe you could get on their agenda?

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#964880 - 06/29/07 05:23 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

Stanny, excellent idea. At some point, we'll have to summarize all these ideas and put them on a web page for future reference.

Thanks, John

#964881 - 06/29/07 08:14 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
pianolady14 Offline

Our school district has an annual art show at each building. A few years ago, I called the art teacher and offered to have a few of my students play "backround music" at the show. I put a stack of my business cards on top of the piano, and got 4 new students from it. It was a good performance opportunity for my students too.

#964882 - 06/29/07 08:31 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

Another great idea :3hearts:

#964883 - 06/29/07 09:38 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Greyhound Offline

Why not start a thread asking how students found their piano teacher?
Here's my story:
1) Asked around town....however, all the teachers that were recommended taught primarily classical and/or advanced students. I'm an adult beginner & interested in jazz and new age.
2) Visited music stores for names of instructors
3) Did a web search

End result: Found current teacher from his web site.

#964884 - 07/02/07 08:48 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

karenabcde - just an update on printing costs. I just received the bid from an independent printer in town. Add $911 to the cost, which brings the total to roughly $2,400. I will need to get 8 teachers together to get this down to a reasonable per teacher cost. Don't know if this will happen.

However, I am happy to report that thanks to Piano World (I am truly grateful for this), my web page has moved up to #9 on the google list for "piano teachers olympia wa". Some of the crap that comes up is mind blowing. And I'm happier to report that I've had enough calls that I probably won't need to advertise to fill vacancies from grads.

By the way, I should add that I keep my lesson fee high, actually highest in town, so as to attract students who are really serious about learning piano.

#964885 - 07/03/07 03:17 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats, John!

How many students is a "full studio" for you?

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#964886 - 07/03/07 04:17 PM Re: Getting New Students Through Newspaper Flyers
7000 Post Club Member

Right now, drawing social security, I have to stay at 20 or below, or I'll forfeit my SS benefits. What a pain. After age 66, I can increase my studio back up. Before this happened, I kept my studio between 32 and 36 students.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
Yesterday at 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
Yesterday at 04:16 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (anamnesis, 7notemode, andriy555, A Guy, accordeur, 3times2, 36 invisible), 1112 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157616 Topics
2315138 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission