Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#965452 - 12/13/05 12:29 PM Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
BJenkins Offline

Loc: CA
Since barely anyone replies in this forum anyways I'm not expecting anyone to actually download this because it's 45mb! ACK! I don't know how to make it smaller and it's about 20 minutes as all 4 mvts are on one track. It's me playing live at my recital so please excuse my mistakes, all in all though I think it went pretty well. Maybe someone on here has a super fast connection and wants to hear it. If so all comments good or bad are totally welcome!

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=6377628

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#965453 - 12/14/05 01:52 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
'Allo! I'm on a T1 lan, so I thought with my connection, I was pretty safe downloading the file, and I was right! It only took thirteen hours! :p (Kidding...it took about 2 minutes. ;\) )

Since you want comments, I'll oblige...though I'll be brief for now, and here's why: This was the very first time I've ever looked at or listened to this piece. Naturally, you're the only person I've heard play it. So, I'll have to listen a few more times if you really want detailed comments, plus I'd have to listen to someone else's interpretation(s) or tinker with it myself. If you want that kind of feedback, let me know...but it'll take a while.

That being said, I'll start with the negative. Watch your sixteenths at the beginning. They tended to get away from you, and hence, were uneven ("sloppy", I think, would be the "classic" term for it). It was most noticeable at the beginning, and then you were again uneven (or maybe a little rushed?) in the last movement. I don't mind the tempo, but make sure your fingers are comfortable there and that you're getting the sound you want. I was fine with the tempo as a tempo, but it sounded like it was a little rushed to your fingers/ear (and hence came across to me as rushed).

Another thing to keep in mind are grace notes. You sort of used the "Mozartian" grace note, as I have come to call it, in that you played it in real-time as an eighth note (when the grace note was marked as an eighth-grace). I would play the grace note more as a grace note with Beethoven than as an eighth note, but then, that's just my interpretation. In the end, this one's just a suggestion, as it's a stylistic thing. Doesn't really matter either way. ;\)

To go back to the sixteenth notes...your arpeggios were a little uneven. Make sure you're getting your whole arm over to each note you play, and then getting back for the start of the next arpeggio. (If your arm is to the left, your fingers have to catch up slack to the right, and similarly, if you move to the right but leave your arm there, your fingers have to stretch and catch up slack to the left. Both ways result in uneven playing. There are more factors, but I won't get into technique...I assume you have a teacher for that. ;\) )

To the third movement! In the trio, it sounded to me like you weren't sure how you wanted to play it. Pick a tempo and stick to it. Really settle in. If you want it slow, slow's good. If you want it faster, faster's ok too. But pick one. ;\)

I already mentioned evenness in the last movement, but I wanted to bring something to your attention that I found rather interesting. Did you notice the "Tempest" (Op 31 No 2 Mvt 3) motif in the final movement? If not, I can point it out, but I really think you should bring it out to call tribute to the piece. Beethoven clearly wrote it to be recognized...it doesn't hide at all. (If I notice it on a first read by looking at the music, and not even by hear it...I noticed it a couple measures before you played through it...then it's meant to be obvious!) ;\)

Now for the good. Great job with the piece! I really enjoyed, and am now going to go back and listen to it for pure enjoyment. Really nice playing. \:\)

#965454 - 12/18/05 03:14 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
Allazart Offline

I liked it and I didn't think the runs were particularly sloppy. I mean, when the two hands are in unison you play them perfectly in unison. However, some of the runs in this sonata *are* in uneven note values such as groups of 7 followed by groups of 12, IIRC. By the way, you get even more respect due to the fact that it was apparently a live performance.

Congrats and a good performance.

#965455 - 01/07/06 05:01 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Just now listened to it. Overall, a really good performance! The 2nd movement made me chuckle, as it should.

Some areas for improvement: the 3rd movement is indeed uneven in tempo; the trio should be the same tempo as the rest of it. Also, if felt too "choppy" or "verticle"; should be smoother. The last movement's tempo is fine, but it feels uncomfortable for you; I'd slow it down a bit. It'll still be effective and won't feel so unstable.

Again, congrats! This is a difficult piece to play, and you've done well with it.

Chris

#965456 - 03/16/06 08:22 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
saturation Offline

One of my favorite Sonatas. An excellent rendition. I listened to it completely.

Can you tell us a little about where the recording was made, how it was recorded and the piano itself?

#965457 - 03/19/06 02:17 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
troglodyte Offline

Loc: Uppsala, Sweden
I remember when I played this as a kid, I would skip class and sneak back home to practice. I was so in love with it and it is still one of my faves, definitely underplayed. Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed it (I downloaded when you first posted but wanted to listen to it a couple of times before writing).

Overall this is a fine performance of a fine sonata, and I hope that length does not deter people from downloading and listening. Perhaps you could break it up in its four movements.

I envy your light touch and excellent control of phrasing. Also your use of pedal is commendable. These qualities bring out the first mov delightfully. It is almost too sweet - I would second Derulux' suggestion to play short grace notes, just to add some spice.

2nd mov carries on being sweet and jocular. I have a slightly different feeling what Beethoven wanted to do with this movement, that it should be more dangerous and on the edge. Like being harassed by someone who is very funny and tells good jokes but who you don't really trust - you don't even know if he is completely sane. It could perhaps go a little bit faster (though not necessarily). There are several "sf" that you do not bring out, for example the second chord of the main theme is practically always sf. The tricky figure in LH m 42 and on calls for 1/32 notes; you play them more like 1/16.

Some issues in the 3rd mov have been noted, I would add that perhaps it could convey more of a dancing and graceful feeling.

The tempo of the Presto is fine, I wouldn't dare go faster. But I miss use of dynamics at some places, for example m20-32 is played delicately but sounds a little flat or even disinterested if the line is not strengthened by dynamic variations. There are some similar places. This of course is a matter of interpretation and I don't say it must be so, I just point out my feelings about it.

Overall this is a very polished and interesting contribution - on par of what I would be prepared to pay for to listen to.

Derulux: I feel stupid, I also played the Tempest but cannot see a motif from there.

#965458 - 03/20/06 08:59 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Derulux: I feel stupid, I also played the Tempest but cannot see a motif from there. [/b]
Eh, I looked at it again. It only reminds me of the Tempest. By one definition, "motif" would bring to mind too strong of a reference. There is a group of 4 measures or so that is repeated 2 or 3 times in the last movement that resembles similar measures in the Tempest. I could point it out, but in the end, it actually would probably be more confusing than helpful. ;\)

#965459 - 04/07/06 10:34 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata Op.31 No.3
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Very solid performance.

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (ando, alfredo capurso, ajames, anamnesis, AndresD, 33 invisible), 1493 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325991 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission