2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi everyone. smile

Now I have to busily prepare for the finals (yay...), but I would like to start this thread. smile

I know that by the turn of the 20th century there were hundreds of piano manufacturers in the United States. Some were obviously bad, but many were very well respected.

My old Knabe grand piano represents one of many pianos produced during that time, of course.

But today, there are only handful of piano manufacturers remaining in the United States, and one can just use three, four, or five (maybe more, but I am not sure) fingers to count them all.

Why did manufacturers such as Chickering & Sons, William Knabe, Weber, Sohmer, George Steck, Mathushek, Kranich and Bach, Ivers and Pond, and many others simply disappeared?

I see that many Americans here are knowledgeable about pianos, and I would like to listen to your personal thoughts.

Thank you. smile

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Musical tastes changed
Piano takes too long to learn in a world with other pressures
Pianos last too long - minimal repeat business
Recessions kill businesses
Digital is a better alternative for many (low cost / low maintenance)
They take up too much space in apartments and smaller houses
Other entertainment (TV) is more universally liked

We are basically witnessing the final death throes of the mainstream acoustic piano industry. Die hards are in denial though.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
M
M
Originally posted by Avantgardenabi:
and one can just use three, four, or five (maybe more, but I am not sure)
With the closing of the Astin-Weight factory in Salt Lake City earlier this year, this leaves just four manufacturers left in the US:

Baldwin (Artist Grands only)
Charles Walter
Steinway
Mason and Hamlin

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some of it has to do with other countries with a cheaper work force producing pianos at prices not able to remain competitive within North America.

Even though those pianos were not as good, the consumer listened to great salesmen, not the piano.
Plus the economy of the 1930's did not help.

Demand is down so there is less room for top makers. No shortage of used pianos.

Hm mm, are we seeing something similar happening now?

O.K. here comes the war!!!!!!!

Prove me wrong

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There were some depressions in the late 1800's. Many companies could not shift gears into war time production for WWI in the 19teens.
Many companies could not wheather the Great Depression of the 1930's.
Many could not shift gears into war time production for WWII.
Many upright manufacturers could not make the shift from Victorian uprights to the mew demand for spinets in the late 1940's.
Somewhat of a stasis from late 1940's through mid 1960's.
Then the Asian invasion of the Japanese, followed by the Koreans, now the Chinese.
At one time the U.S. was the appliance capital of the world. No U.S. built TV's today and most electronics are built off shore as well. Time marches on. Auto business was once the envy of and the supplier to the world. Today they are in line for the dole.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There were some depressions in the late 1800's. Many companies could not shift gears into war time production for WWI in the 19teens.
Many companies could not wheather the Great Depression of the 1930's.
Many could not shift gears into war time production for WWII.
Many upright manufacturers could not make the shift from Victorian uprights to the mew demand for spinets in the late 1940's.
Somewhat of a stasis from late 1940's through mid 1960's.
Then the Asian invasion of the Japanese, followed by the Koreans, now the Chinese.
At one time the U.S. was the appliance capital of the world. No U.S. built TV's today and most electronics are built off shore as well. Time marches on. Auto business was once the envy of and the supplier to the world. Today they are in line for the dole.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Before radio, television, and record players, the piano was the focal entertainment point of most middle class homes and virtually every upper class home. Now, not so much.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Not only was labor much less expensive overseas, but Yamaha developed a highly efficient mass-production factory for pianos. Until then, pianos were dominantly all hand-made.

The U.S. makers, much like our automobile industry, didn't adapt.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"Why did manufacturers such as Chickering & Sons, William Knabe, Weber, Sohmer, George Steck, Mathushek, Kranich and Bach, Ivers and Pond, and many others simply disappeared?"

Tastes change. At one time having a piano in the parlor for family entertainment became an American dream.

The radio and and movies eventually became the family entertainment.

And of course the Depression.

And I am sure that even vehicles played a role. They took families away from the 'family parlor' and the piano as a main entertainment.

I wonder BTW, just who used to tune those old pianos. Doubt if there were enough techs around or even money enough to have them in proper form.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
OP Offline
Thank you for everyone's comments. smile

But here are some thoughts that I have:

Tastes did change over time, I guess, but sound of a piano is also elusive in its own way. Why Americans then were so eager to abandon pianos that dramatically? After all, piano is a musical instrument.

Considering how Chickering and Knabe were founded in 1823 and 1837, respectively, and given the shear market size of the United States, it would make more sense to me if at least these two manufacturers are still alive and well...

Also, why didn't American piano manufacturers expand globally, exporting their pianos overseas?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Avantgardenabi, regarding U.S. exports, which time period do you mean? Here is my quick understanding: Consider that U.S. consumption was enough to support American manufacturers. Then with the Depression and World War II, many traditional barriers to trade were broken down. After World War II, the U.S. had the best ability to purchase consumer products. Europe and Japan were devastated from war and had to rebuild their economies. For many decades, the U.S. has been the largest market for exports from everyone else in the rest of the world.

S
S
Another factor:

Most of Europe's and Japans's factories were destroyed during WWII. They were rebuilt with 1950's technology.

The US continued to produce in factories established before WWI (many in the 1800s)putting them at a severe technogical disadvantage.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

OP Offline
Hello, guest1013,

I guess I meant time periods around 70s, 80s, or even today. smile

Mason and Hamlin is unheard of in East Asia (or even in Europe, I believe).

Why couldn't Chickering or Knabe survive as small but very respected piano makers, like in Europe?

I am just curious as to why the shear number of American piano manufacturers gone during the 20th century is so staggering...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Avantgardenabi:
Hello, guest1013,

I guess I meant time periods around 70s, 80s, or even today. smile

Mason and Hamlin is unheard of in East Asia (or even in Europe, I believe).

How many families in South East Asia region could afford an M&H, S&S and other Euro made piano ?
the few families who can afford a Yammie, Kawai and other Asian made are already the lucky ones.
In countries where people barely make $1000 a year, what's the point of opening a dealer to sell piano that cost 10k,20k and above; you won't sell enough to survive. Supply and demand does play a big factor here in big US/Euro companies not venturing into that market.

In addition to many good points being made, my two cents worth:

-The great American piano companies were created by folks who had a passion for the piano. Their subsequent offspring who inherited the business may have not had this passion - such as the Steinway family that sold out to CBS decades ago and went through a very rough period (Teflon bushings anyone?)

- As for Asia, China in particular, this excerpt from the NY Tims speaks volumes:

The Chinese enthusiasm suggests the potential for a growing market for recorded music and live performances just as an aging fan base and declining record sales worry many professionals in Europe and the United States. Sales for a top-selling classical recording in the West number merely in the thousands instead of the tens of thousands 25 years ago.

More profoundly, classical music executives say that the art form is being increasingly marginalized in a sea of popular culture and new media. Fewer young American listeners find their way to classical music, largely because of the lack of the music education that was widespread in public schools two generations ago. As a result many orchestras and opera houses struggle to fill halls.

China, with an estimated 30 million piano students and 10 million violin students, is on an opposite trajectory. Comprehensive tests to enter the top conservatories now attract nearly 200,000 students a year, compared with a few thousand annually in the 1980s, according to the Chinese Musicians Association.

The hardware side has also exploded. As of 2003, 87 factories made Western musical instruments. By last year the number had grown to 142, producing 370,000 pianos, one million violins and six million guitars. China dominates world production of all three.

The Communist Party, which three decades ago was trying to wipe out classical music, now deems it an essential component of the “advanced culture” it vows to create to make the country a true great power.

Jonnie P.
Seattle, WA

Kawai RX-2 ES

Obsessive behaviour: Jazz and other forms of piano improvisation
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
It seems to me that there are at least two issues being raised here, disguised as one.

1. Why the decline in piano manufacturing in America? This can actually be answered with another question: why the decline in manufacturing in America? Piano manufacturing is not the only form of American manufacturing to be in sharp decline.

2. Why the decline in piano sales in America? This is a very different question, and we need more facts in order to answer it. There may be fewer pianos purchased now than was the case 80 years ago, and pianos are certainly not the center of household entertainment that they once were. But the fact that fewer American-made pianos are made and sold does not inevitably mean that fewer pianos worldwide are made and sold.

OP Offline
To koiloco: By East Asia I meant "northern" East Asian countries (Korea, Japan, China, and Taiwan). smile

[Linked Image]

(Picture by J.P. Dalbera)

This is Liszt's piano made by Chickering & Sons, by the way. It's beautiful.

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Piano playing seems to be a rite of passage for an emerging middle class. It's one of the first "leisure" activities. To think that radio, TV and now the internet and computer games are natural evolutionary advances in the need to have "arrived" is probably worthy of study by someone tracing the roots of instant gratification.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
lol, Avant.

Besides Japan where living standard is pretty up there, Korea and Taiwan while started developing strongly just recently are no where near suitable (from a business aspect) markets for pianos that cost as much as S&S, M&H and other high end Euro pianos. The last time I checked, the average salary on the higher end for an engineer in Korea is about $25K/year and $20K/year in Taiwan. With these incomes averages, not many people will spend $30K on a M&H.
For China, the average income is really even lower than Taiwan and Korea.
Are there people in these 3 countries who could afford these expensive pianos? heck yeah but very few and not enough for a sustainable market investment.
Just my 2c based on what I know and understand about these countries.

OP Offline
Koiloco,

I do not know an engineer's (which engineer...?) income now in Korea, but some rich Koreans in Dogok/Apgujeong/Cheongdam/Bundang area in Seoul can certainly afford to buy cheaper Mason and Hamlin grand. smile Some of them already have Hamburg Steinway, by the way, although I heard that there are only about 4 Faziolis in Korea. wink

Also, many Chinese in Shanghai area are really rich while others are poor, I believe. Why not sell Mason and Hamlins in Shanghai?

Even if grand pianos are too expensive (or huge) for ordinary consumers, then what about uprights? East Asians live in a tight space, and uprights are far more popular there...

I haven't seen any Mason and Hamlin uprights in Japan or Korea.

Anyway, I am not a champion of marketing Mason and Hamlins or American pianos in East Asia. This creates competition! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission