Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
171 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, A-Tom, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1835 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#967713 - 10/18/05 04:38 PM A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
It is with some reservation that I post this first link. I found a recording of me playing the Friska from Liszt's Hungarian No 2 the last time I was 'home'. I played it in May of 2000, during my senior year of high school (before my wonderful 5 year sabbatical from the piano). The audio is very bad, having been recorded using a little computer microphone (that was positioned in a different room) and "Sound Recorder" (the wonderful default program on everybody's computer that can't record for crap). It's been cleaned up a bit, so that it is at least possible to listen to it. Well, enjoy...

Friska - Hungarian No 2

And this I've included because it's a much better recording, and is more indicative of my current level, albeit still not my best. It is a recording from this past June. I played the first movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto with Drexel's string ensemble (you'll notice a cello plays the horn solo, etc). It was this performance that got me my current teacher.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I will not be able to play anything like it for some time, and who knows when I'll be able to record my own playing. The Rach performance was recorded by an amateur who, I must say, did a good job (with my limited recording knowledge). He just sent me this file yesterday, which has better equalization/balance(?) than the old file.

Rach 2 Mvt 1
Edit: *re-uploaded* 10/10/06

Well, like I said...hope you enjoy them. They're the only two recordings I'll have for a while.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#967714 - 10/18/05 06:13 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

That Rhapsody is quite hard, isn't it? ;\)

#967715 - 10/18/05 07:30 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Not terribly...but back then it certainly was. In fact, at the time of that recording, it was the hardest piece I'd ever tried to play, and I suppose I tried to over-play it a bit. I generally play it slower now...after breaking 3:45, I realized it was just way too fast. ;\)

EDIT: I guess people don't comment much in here, do they? \:\(

#967716 - 11/01/05 12:52 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
troglodyte Offline

Loc: Uppsala, Sweden
I just listened to the Rachmaninoff. I think it amazingly good but am myself not really qualified to judge, being far below your level as a pianist. I never played it and almost certainly never will.

Of course the accompanying ensemble is not by a long way your class. Uanvoidably this detracts from the performance, it is difficult to filter it out.

Commenting now only the piano I must say this is a remarkable performance. I was really moved at places, for example at the end (last two minutes or so), and at the culmination of the development.

One thing though: should there really be such a pronounced accelerando in the opening chords? I have always felt the intro as a sort of majestic awakening, or sunrise over a wild country. In your way it is more like an approaching train.

Another thing (listening to it again!) beware of too much rubato in the slow theme (after 2 mins). What you do with each phrase is beautiful and very singing, but all taken together - slowing down that much that often - that part can become kind of fragmented.

But these are details. I really think this deserves comment from some of the more competent forum members. And derulux, I hope you realise that when you become famous I can get rich by selling this as a bootleg!

#967717 - 11/01/05 09:18 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Bah...anybody can judge me. I'm not above anybody. But thank you for the compliment. \:\)

I'm glad you enjoyed the performance. I wish the piano had been voiced properly before-hand. It was a very old Steinway that definitely needed a new sound board, and you really had to work to get any sound out of it. (I actually didn't know this before the performance...I thought it was my playing...but the gentleman who came to listen [and eventually set me up with my current teacher] commented on it and made the assessment.)

Let's see...
 Quote:
One thing though: should there really be such a pronounced accelerando in the opening chords? I have always felt the intro as a sort of majestic awakening, or sunrise over a wild country. In your way it is more like an approaching train.
I see it as two things: an accelerando to the middle (fifth chord), and then a ritardando to the a tempo(after the three pronounced quarter note octaves at the end of the chords). During the performance, I was a little nervous, and rushed the rit.

Coincidentally, if you think of the sunrise image, dawn comes very slowly, until the sun pops up and the first rays shoot over the horizon. I picture that as the fifth chord. Then, there is a subtle exhalation, time slows down again, and you 'begin your day' (a tempo). This would be the basis, using your analogy, for the accelerando and ritardando that I do employ, however I admit they were a tad more pronounced than I would've liked. (I can pick apart my own performance down to the individual notes, but I'll spare you such a mundane analysis.)

Quote:
Another thing (listening to it again!)
That, I think, is the greatest compliment. Thank you. \:\)

Quote:
beware of too much rubato in the slow theme (after 2 mins).
Yes, some of that was me; some was the string ensemble. There was no conductor, so phrasing went whatever way it went, and in those particular places, there is a play between the solo and the strings, and the strings didn't always come in on time, so I had to wait. (You can notice this right about the 4-minute mark, when the flute solo comes in late and I had to wait for her to catch up. ;\) )

Quote:
I hope you realise that when you become famous I can get rich by selling this as a bootleg!
Just pass me a royalty under the table, or get the same people to buy the 'real' CD, and I'll keep my lawyers away from you. *laughs* If I ever become famous, I'll come play in Sweden and buy you a ticket to the concert. \:\)

#967718 - 11/02/05 02:30 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
geek in the pink Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Yeah, not too many people comment around here. I don't know why that is, but since I always appreciate comments regarding my recordings, I figured I could at least pay you the same respect having gone though the trouble of listening to your files \:\) . I really enjoyed listening to your recordings, especially Rach 2. I can't really give any in-depth critiques as I'm not that good (yet). All I can say is that you play very well.

#967719 - 11/03/05 12:33 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
virtuoso_735 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
SInce you always listen to and comment on my recordings, I'll return the favor, although I'm not nearly as good as you. I just listened to the HR (I'll listen to the Rach tommorow, it's late now), and it's quite nice. There are a few note mistakes here and there but it sounds exciting. Why does the upper registers of the piano sound like a violin? It's sounds weird and funny, especially the beginning. Sorry I can't be any more detailed on my comments.

btw, what other pieces have you recorded that you can post? I would really like to hear those as well. \:\)

#967720 - 11/03/05 12:49 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you, pink geek. \:\) I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Quote:
Why does the upper registers of the piano sound like a violin? It's sounds weird and funny, especially the beginning.
Hmm... well, the recording was made six years ago using a Samick upright piano and "Sound Recorder" (the default computer program everybody and their mother gets installed with Windows accessories). The microphone was that little white one you can buy at any computer store that picks up every kind of noise and static known to man.

I filtered most of the noise out, but you can still hear some of it as little "khhhhrrrrrsklbleepkrhhhhssss" in the background...particularly when anything 'soft' is played.

I have several other recordings (of lesser quality) from my days of being an early teenager (13-16), none of which are worthwhile to listen to. Trust me. ;\) (A very uneven "Fantasie-Impromptu", same for "Flight of the Bumblebee", and Schubert Op. 90 No. 3 "Impromptu in Gb" from my later teens...if you really listen, you can hear me turn the pages... made on the same piano with the same recording equipment.)

None of it does me any service, and I'm sure it'd be a strain on most people's ears. I promise as soon as I graduate from this damned place and get a job, I'll save up for a decent piano and some good recording equipment and have at it. I graduate in March (unless the Shafting continues, in which case, we'll see...they're currently claiming they didn't receive my financial aid package, when I already have a receipt that they did... *sigh*). So, you may have to wait a while, but eventually, I'll be able to comply. Sorry for the wait. \:\(

#967721 - 11/09/05 02:54 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
Wow, I just had a listen to the Rach. Very impressive. We'll need to keep an eye open for you when you make your mark...

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#967722 - 11/09/05 03:01 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianomad:
Wow, I just had a listen to the Rach. Very impressive. We'll need to keep an eye open for you when you make your mark... [/b]
Thank you. I'm currently in the market for a nice-colored one...something 'springy'. ;\) (Fall colors are beautiful, but really aren't my thing. :p )

I'm glad you enjoyed it. \:\)

#967723 - 11/09/05 11:28 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
virtuoso_735 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I'm listening to the Rachmaninoff! It's very impressive. \:\) Your playing is very good.

btw, are the opening chords supposed to be arpeggiated, or is it optional?

#967724 - 11/09/05 11:36 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by virtuoso_735:
I'm listening to the Rachmaninoff! It's very impressive. \:\) Your playing is very good.

btw, are the opening chords supposed to be arpeggiated, or is it optional? [/b]
Thanks. \:\)

The opening chords are not specifically notated to be arpeggiated, but most people do not have large enough hands to play them as chords, so they break the chords into arpeggios. I do not like the way this sounds, so I play them as chords, even if it stretches my hands a bit. ;\)

#967725 - 11/10/05 06:46 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Suz Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi Derulux,
I thought something was funny in the orchestration (what's that cello doing playing all by itself??), until I went back and re-read the details. \:\)

I think that's one of my favorite openings in piano concertos. You play beautifully!

I've always wanted to ask pianists, how much awareness they have of the orchestra. I'm sure it depends on a lot of things, including the quality of the group--there are times you'd rather not be aware of them! I remember one situation where we were attempting Rach 3 with a not-so-good group, and the poor pianist was all freaked out. I'm sure he kept his eye on the baton (maybe not--I don't think the conductor was all that secure, either) and mostly tuned us out the entire time. One of those situations where "we'll meet each other at the end!" Now, one of my conductors always reminds us not to just watch him, but to listen and play chamber music with the soloist. I was wondering if it's the same in reverse. I always get the feeling it's easier for string soloists to feel a part of the orchestra, since they are standing right next to a huge body of similar instrument. Plus there's a greater chance they've played in orchestral situations at one time or other.

Anyway, the only comment is there were times I felt that the orchestra and you weren't "playing chamber music," but that could be a result of a lot of different factors, including the recording.

Maybe we should ask Frank to move this section up to the main area. I keep forgetting to come down here, until I see an entry in the "new messages" section.

#967726 - 11/10/05 09:53 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
pianomad Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:

The opening chords are not specifically notated to be arpeggiated, but most people do not have large enough hands to play them as chords, so they break the chords into arpeggios. [/b]
And this is where I get jealous. Technique and musicianship are things we can always work to improve. Size of hands, however....

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#967727 - 11/11/05 03:19 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
And this is where I get jealous. Technique and musicianship are things we can always work to improve. Size of hands, however....
My hands aren't really large, per se, just overly stretchy. ;\) (You should see my father's hands...he can comfortably reach a tenth, barely stretch at an eleventh, stretch at a twelfth, and almost reach a thirteenth. (Yes, you heard that right.) He's got a full knuckle's length on my fingers when we put our wrists together.

Quote:
You play beautifully!
Thanks...I needed that. \:D (Rough day...)

Quote:
I've always wanted to ask pianists, how much awareness they have of the orchestra.
100% There is no point in time where I don't know how my part (be it piano or trumpet, when I used to play in ensembles) fits into the whole. Now, for the piano, I must say that there have been times where I lacked the technique to play certain passages. (I taught myself the Rach you listened to in just over 10 weeks before I started rehearsing with the ensemble, and right through the performance, there were places where I had difficulty because my technique was not very solid.) When that happened, I could hear that there were troubles with the balance, but it was all I could do to get through the passage, so a little musicianship was sacrificed.

But, you'll notice the piano-flute duet (somewhere around the 2:30 mark I think) that the flute comes in late, and I had to slow down a lot to let her catch up. (I memorized the orchestra parts as well as my own, so I knew how they all fit together.) Then later, you'll hear the flute playing in clear 4/4 time when everyone else is playing in cut-time. ;\) (The wind players...what few we had...came in the day of the concert, and I'm pretty sure some had never heard the piece before, or at least, were not overly familiar with it.)

These problems were compounded by not having a conductor. (He was the cellist you heard playing where it should have been a horn.) Coincidentally, he was the only professional in the group. ;\)

Quote:
One of those situations where "we'll meet each other at the end!"
I refuse to play this way. I just hate the idea of it. I'm the kind of person who will work through rehearsals to find the differences in the way people want to play a particular piece from the way I want to play it, and then come to some resolution, but once we come to that resolution, it will be set. For me, playing with an ensemble is all about getting the ensemble to a place where I'm comfortable playing, and then learning that pace. When it comes time to perform, I really don't want to dictate the pace...I want to blend into the ensemble. I hate having to try to set a pace. I want to play with people, not ahead of or behind them.

That being said, you'll note there were one or two spots in the Rach where I tried to help dictate the pace because the ensemble started to lag, but in the end it didn't really work that well, and I had to slow back down and follow them. It bugged me, but in the end, it would have served no purpose for me to continue trying to get them to work with me, so I settled for working with them. ;\)

Quote:
Anyway, the only comment is there were times I felt that the orchestra and you weren't "playing chamber music," but that could be a result of a lot of different factors, including the recording.
It is certainly possible. To tell you the truth, I really wasn't happy with my performance. I absolutely hated it, and it wasn't until my grandmother appreciated my playing that I began to accept I might have given a decent performance. (I didn't want her to listen to it because I thought I played horribly...but my parents 'borrowed' the CD without my knowledge and let her listen. Then she told me I played well, and I was horror-stricken that she had heard it. Now I've come to accept that I could've played much worse, but I'm still one of those people who is rarely happy with his own performance.) So, naturally, you'll forgive me if I agree that there were times when I played horribly, though I think most of it was masked by the ensemble, and I thank them for it.

I'd love to talk more about it, but I feel I've droned beyond what you may or may not have wanted to discuss! So, I'll leave it at that and wait to see if you reply. And I agree, the section should be bumped up so more people are inclined to visit. There are some truly talented people in here whose recordings I thoroughly enjoy, but sometimes I forget to check myself!

#967728 - 11/11/05 10:30 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
pianomad Offline

Derulux, you've shown why recordings are invaluable. We are our own worst critics and rarely feel happy with our performances afterwards. We tend to think they went much worse than they actually did. Recordings give you a chance to listen back with more objectivity. Save those recordings and listen to them ten years from now. I dug up my old college recital recordings (back in the stone age, when we used cassette tapes) and was surprised, if I may say so, with how well I played. At the time, I thought my performances were mediocre at best.

#967729 - 11/12/05 03:23 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I am most certainly my own worst critic. As for my recording, I suppose I'll have to get back to you in 2015. :p ;\) Thank you, though, for your words. \:\)

#967730 - 11/14/05 12:10 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
Derulux,

I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed listening to your recording. Concerto 2 is my favorite classical piece and I've easily listened to it a hundred times on various CD's I have. You played it so well! It sounds like the crowd enjoyed it too... :-) Your style through the 3:30--4:30 section as well as the ending is particularly beautiful.

I have to say, the ensemble definitely wasn't helpful, in fact it was comical at times, but it was easy to filter out. I also have to agree with the opinion that was stated earlier. The opening seemed somewhat rushed. I've heard several variations of this, and I personally find it more appropriate played more slowly and dramatically. But don't get me wrong, I am in no place to judge, I doubt I will ever be able to play this piece and I definitely envy your skill! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I've already got it stuck in my Win Media playlist and I've listened to it several times.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#967731 - 11/16/05 02:18 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed listening to your recording.
:D Thank you! \:D

Quote:
Your style through the 3:30--4:30 section as well as the ending is particularly beautiful.
I'll have to remember, as I change pieces of it, not to change those parts. ;\) Interestingly, towards the end, the 1st cello was a professional (who was supposed to be conducting, but decided to play instead), and I had a lot of fun at the end following his lead (as the melody bounces back and forth from piano to cello). Truly fun. \:\)

Quote:
The opening seemed somewhat rushed.
No, you're right. 'Twas a little rushed. I definitely wanted it a little faster than indicated (quarter = 66; I wanted quarter = circa 72) but I certainly played it even faster than that. \:\(

Quote:
I've already got it stuck in my Win Media playlist and I've listened to it several times.
*blushing* There are a lot of people better to listen to than me! I feel so very bad for your ears! But thank you. \:\) (And that's one of those genuine, "I'm flattered" smiles...if you couldn't tell from the blushing. ;\) )

#967732 - 12/19/05 03:36 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Dear Derulux,

Sorry for the late comment \:D

I listened to the rach .. one of my favorites if not my favorite concerto (plus my favorite movement) so don't be sad if i will be harsh, the recording i listen to of that movement is rach himself \:D

I loved your recording, before i hear, i did not think that it would meet such high standards.

Detailed listening:

First chords, i don't know if it is in the score, but there is an accelerando which seems excessive to my ears since i always picture bells (with a steady rhythm i guess or very little accelerando)

The low bass notes after that are lovely.

The last chord at the climax 1:58 you played staccato??!! (but maybe the pedal slipped from you i guess) or did you mean it?

Very touching 2nd theme and marvellous rubato here.

4:11 to 4:29 maybe you should use some rubato here (but i think you only played it metronomically so the ensemble could follow \:D right)

4:35 to 4:55 is the worst part you played .. i know i am harsh, yes i know it \:D but it is true, here you lost your beautiful tone and touch (i think your fingers here attacked the keys very quickly) + some excessive staccato

The repeated octaves starting 5:38 seem very tense (i don't know their exact timings) but when you listen to rach himself on those ?? you can feel the true melancholy .. i just can't describe.

5:58 to 6:38 is excellent, and i feel you tearing from inside as you played the forte (i don't know where i am going with this "feel the inside of the performer" thing \:D )

From 8:35 to the end is just 100%. I was touched in spite of the faster tempo played by rach which i like.

The start of tension at 10:01 is special.

The storming end starting at 10:20 is powerful, i don't beleive that i heard many commercial recordings where the pianists play it very bland and weak. But you don't fall in this mistake, i congratulate you.

As for the concluding 3 chords, sorry, these belong to Rachmaninoff.

#967733 - 12/26/05 06:00 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I believe I responded to you in a private message. But I could put it here if I didn't. ;\)

Just wanted to show you this:

Statistics:

Hungarian: 45 downloads, 2 comments
Rach 2: 93 downloads, 7 comments

So, perhaps the forum itself isn't as non-active as we thought...it's just that people simply don't comment. (which blows my mind...I mean, if I'm going to take the time to listen to someone's recording, I'm at least going to say "hi" afterwards....) ;\)

#967734 - 12/26/05 06:15 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey, i didn't listen to your HR2 (again my ultimate dream piece) maybe i will give it a listen

Did you hear Rach himself play it .. phenomenal!!
My favorite recording

#967735 - 12/26/05 06:28 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Look at my nocturne recording

97 downloads (haha .. beat your rach2 )

#967736 - 12/26/05 08:05 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Yeah, but look at where you posted the nocturne... that place is like HBO to this PBS. :p ;\)

Quote:
Hey, i didn't listen to your HR2 (again my ultimate dream piece) maybe i will give it a listen
Well, you'll get to hear how I sounded in high school (though the recording quality is pretty bad...just eliminating the background noise really distorted the notes). Too bad I haven't played that one seriously since high school...I'd re-record it. (But I just tried getting through it about an hour ago, actually, and couldn't remember anything of the first part, and the "friska" sounded terrible...had to stop and "figure out where I was" a couple of times... *laughs*) ;\)

As for Rachmaninoff, are you talking about his recording of the Hungarian? Depending on which one it is, I don't really care for it. (One of them is very good, but the one I've heard more often isn't as good.) I'd like to listen to a couple artists with this piece...and I really wish I would've caught Lang Lang on Jay Leno to hear it, not because I heard he played "well" (in fact, I heard the opposite), but just to hear it live period. ;\)

#967737 - 12/27/05 05:58 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OMG how dare you insult my favourite recording of the HR2
Anyway rach only recorded one hr which is hr2
I could post it to you if you like (i made a noise free version)

anyway you took rach's own style of the beginning .. begins slowly then gradually increase speed, this is because of your deficient technique of course :p

But it is much better than taking it very fast and losing the evenness and clarity of the top repeated notes .. very good decision

About those repeated notes, no one plays it like Rach, as if he's typing on a typewriter for god's sake .. the only one who plays it like him is cziffra (even faster )

Other recordings lose this either because of using pedal or because of hall ambience in the recording

Nice mini cadenza , is it your idea \:\)

#967738 - 12/27/05 03:44 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

What I mean is, Rach made several recordings of HR2...though I'm not sure which ones were intended for public release. One of these recordings, I like. The other, I don't. ;\)

*laughs* I had never heard Rach's style when I played the piece back in high school. That's just what I heard when I interpreted the piece for myself. ;\)

Mini cadenza? I didn't play a cadenza. Maybe Rach cut part of the piece? (Oh wait...towards the end, when the right hand is playing runs, are you talking about what I did to the left hand? Yeah, I improved that once, then heard Horowitz do it, then decided I was keeping it.) But if it's not that, I'm lost. ;\)

#967739 - 01/02/06 06:09 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Derulux,

I just listened to both the concerto and the HR2. Very good performances. Both of these pieces are difficult and are way beyond anything I would attempt at this point.

I did find your concerto a bit disconcerting in a few places, but after reading your other comments, you are aware of them, and explaining the deficiencies of the ensemble now makes sense to me.

Anyway, playing with other people is tough no matter what especially when you rely on them to do certain things at certain times. The fact that the flautist was late probably through you off kilter. When you get an ensemble to work together, the experience can be like Nirvana because the music comes alive in a different fashion. You most likely noticed that when playing the mini-duet with the professional cellist/sort of conductor.

The HR2, well that was weird. Was that really a piano or a melodian? The piece is hard no matter what, and I am sure if you get your fingers back after your hiatus, you can do a much better job on a better piano with better recording equipment. I honestly think it sounded like something recorded back in the early 1900s.

Keep up the good work,

John

#967740 - 01/11/06 05:09 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
The fact that the flautist was late probably through you off kilter.
*laughs* Yeah, it was a little disconcerting to me, but not nearly as rough a jolt as the percussion section (read: "falling object that slammed into the stage") somewhere around the 9:00 mark! :p ;\)

Quote:
When you get an ensemble to work together, the experience can be like Nirvana because the music comes alive in a different fashion. You most likely noticed that when playing the mini-duet with the professional cellist/sort of conductor.
That's why I let him take the tempo and creative control. It was just so much fun fitting my sound into his. \:\)

Quote:
The HR2, well that was weird. Was that really a piano or a melodian?
How dare you insult my upright Samick! :p It was a piano, but with the combination of it being an upright, the recording equipment being horrible, and the recording equipment being in a different room, it was rather rough. I'm thankful, though...it hid a few mistakes (but apparently not enough)! :p ;\)

Quote:
I honestly think it sounded like something recorded back in the early 1900s.
Well, yeah...I mean...that's what I was going for...couldn't you tell? :p

Keep up the good work,[/b]
Thank you...I'll try. \:\)

#967741 - 10/08/06 08:57 AM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I will have to add the Rach 2 back in. Currently, it's a "file not found." Please hold...

#967742 - 10/08/06 09:04 PM Re: A Promise Is A Promise (Rach 2)
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
rofl I think Galassini's recent thread about you has amassed some interest and now we're all floodin in here to hear ur rach again, I came myself last night only to be disappointed by file not found

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
12/17/14 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
12/17/14 03:31 PM
It's Beethoven's birthday today...
by Polyphonist
12/17/14 03:12 PM
Elbow pain
by acollins
12/17/14 12:49 PM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159942 Topics
2348826 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission