2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I believe I responded to you in a private message. But I could put it here if I didn't. wink

Just wanted to show you this:

Statistics:

Hungarian: 45 downloads, 2 comments
Rach 2: 93 downloads, 7 comments

So, perhaps the forum itself isn't as non-active as we thought...it's just that people simply don't comment. (which blows my mind...I mean, if I'm going to take the time to listen to someone's recording, I'm at least going to say "hi" afterwards....) wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey, i didn't listen to your HR2 (again my ultimate dream piece) maybe i will give it a listen

Did you hear Rach himself play it .. phenomenal!!
My favorite recording

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Look at my nocturne recording

97 downloads (haha .. beat your rach2 smokin )

D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah, but look at where you posted the nocturne... that place is like HBO to this PBS. :p wink

Hey, i didn't listen to your HR2 (again my ultimate dream piece) maybe i will give it a listen
Well, you'll get to hear how I sounded in high school (though the recording quality is pretty bad...just eliminating the background noise really distorted the notes). Too bad I haven't played that one seriously since high school...I'd re-record it. (But I just tried getting through it about an hour ago, actually, and couldn't remember anything of the first part, and the "friska" sounded terrible...had to stop and "figure out where I was" a couple of times... *laughs*) wink

As for Rachmaninoff, are you talking about his recording of the Hungarian? Depending on which one it is, I don't really care for it. (One of them is very good, but the one I've heard more often isn't as good.) I'd like to listen to a couple artists with this piece...and I really wish I would've caught Lang Lang on Jay Leno to hear it, not because I heard he played "well" (in fact, I heard the opposite), but just to hear it live period. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OMG how dare you insult my favourite recording of the HR2 eek
Anyway rach only recorded one hr which is hr2
I could post it to you if you like (i made a noise free version)

anyway you took rach's own style of the beginning .. begins slowly then gradually increase speed, this is because of your deficient technique of course :p

But it is much better than taking it very fast and losing the evenness and clarity of the top repeated notes .. very good decision thumb

About those repeated notes, no one plays it like Rach, as if he's typing on a typewriter for god's sake eek .. the only one who plays it like him is cziffra (even faster thumb )

Other recordings lose this either because of using pedal or because of hall ambience in the recording

Nice mini cadenza , is it your idea smile

D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
What I mean is, Rach made several recordings of HR2...though I'm not sure which ones were intended for public release. One of these recordings, I like. The other, I don't. wink

*laughs* I had never heard Rach's style when I played the piece back in high school. That's just what I heard when I interpreted the piece for myself. wink

Mini cadenza? I didn't play a cadenza. Maybe Rach cut part of the piece? (Oh wait...towards the end, when the right hand is playing runs, are you talking about what I did to the left hand? Yeah, I improved that once, then heard Horowitz do it, then decided I was keeping it.) But if it's not that, I'm lost. wink

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Derulux,

I just listened to both the concerto and the HR2. Very good performances. Both of these pieces are difficult and are way beyond anything I would attempt at this point.

I did find your concerto a bit disconcerting in a few places, but after reading your other comments, you are aware of them, and explaining the deficiencies of the ensemble now makes sense to me.

Anyway, playing with other people is tough no matter what especially when you rely on them to do certain things at certain times. The fact that the flautist was late probably through you off kilter. When you get an ensemble to work together, the experience can be like Nirvana because the music comes alive in a different fashion. You most likely noticed that when playing the mini-duet with the professional cellist/sort of conductor.

The HR2, well that was weird. Was that really a piano or a melodian? The piece is hard no matter what, and I am sure if you get your fingers back after your hiatus, you can do a much better job on a better piano with better recording equipment. I honestly think it sounded like something recorded back in the early 1900s.

Keep up the good work,

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
The fact that the flautist was late probably through you off kilter.
*laughs* Yeah, it was a little disconcerting to me, but not nearly as rough a jolt as the percussion section (read: "falling object that slammed into the stage") somewhere around the 9:00 mark! :p wink

When you get an ensemble to work together, the experience can be like Nirvana because the music comes alive in a different fashion. You most likely noticed that when playing the mini-duet with the professional cellist/sort of conductor.
That's why I let him take the tempo and creative control. It was just so much fun fitting my sound into his. smile

The HR2, well that was weird. Was that really a piano or a melodian?
How dare you insult my upright Samick! :p It was a piano, but with the combination of it being an upright, the recording equipment being horrible, and the recording equipment being in a different room, it was rather rough. I'm thankful, though...it hid a few mistakes (but apparently not enough)! :p wink

I honestly think it sounded like something recorded back in the early 1900s.
Well, yeah...I mean...that's what I was going for...couldn't you tell? :p

Keep up the good work,
Thank you...I'll try. smile

D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I will have to add the Rach 2 back in. Currently, it's a "file not found." Please hold...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
rofl I think Galassini's recent thread about you has amassed some interest and now we're all floodin in here to hear ur rach again, I came myself last night only to be disappointed by file not found

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Oh, wow... thanks for pointing me to that thread. I'll put my comments in there.

The Rach is back up and working. But please read the notes first!!!

Lazy-man's cliff notes (for people like me):
-Recorded BEFORE I started taking classical lessons (see Rich's thread..I'll clarify there)
-Recorded with Drexel's string ensemble, a small group of about 30 players (no brass section at all)
-Amateur recording
-There was no conductor; the group followed me. (The conductor was the only professional in the group and opted to play cello for the performance.)

I think that's about it. Enjoy...I hope!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Could you re-upload please?

I'm trying HR2, and want to collect recordings. Could you also get me a copy of Rachmaninoff playing HR2?

Thanks,
Dakota

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Derulux,

I had never heard this before. What a nice performance. You DID have to wrestle with the ensemble on occasion, didn't you!

Cheers,

David

D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
playadom- I'm sorry... I just tried to find the Hungarian for you, but couldn't. Don't worry, you're not missing much. If I still played it, I'd just re-record it..but I haven't touched the thing in a long time (and that recording was from high school).

Piano*Dad- I thought you were avoiding my music. *laughs* Yeah, there were a couple times I thought it was going to fall apart, but we all managed to hold it together long enough for the audience to applaud. I'm glad you enjoyed it...not quite as clean as your son's playing, but I had fun with it. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Derulux, I understand.

I'll post a recording of it sometime in September, hopefully.

brojek.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
Derulux
Quote.
If I'm going to take time to listen to someones recording I will at least say Hi'
So Here goes,
HI
Although Rachmaninoff (Being English and Old into the bargain I do not care for abbreviations)
was never one of my favourite composers, I greatly appreciated your beautiful playing.
Thankyou for that, and My very best wishes for
your future.
Thankyou again.
Margot.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
You did a great job on the Rach, but what on earth was that noise at 9:45-46 someone slam a door during the preformance?

Matt

D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Margot:
Derulux
Quote.
If I'm going to take time to listen to someones recording I will at least say Hi'
So Here goes,
HI
Although Rachmaninoff (Being English and Old into the bargain I do not care for abbreviations)
was never one of my favourite composers, I greatly appreciated your beautiful playing.
Thankyou for that, and My very best wishes for
your future.
Thankyou again.
Margot.
I almost forgot I wrote that! Thanks for stopping by.. I'm glad you liked it! laugh

Originally posted by Debussy20:
You did a great job on the Rach, but what on earth was that noise at 9:45-46 someone slam a door during the preformance?
Matt
HAHAHA!! That.. is explainable. There was one professional musician in the group--a cellist. He's played everywhere. And with everybody. He was supposed to conduct, but just prior to the first note, decided to play instead. That sound you heard was his case falling (offstage). wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission