Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#968082 - 07/20/05 10:32 PM Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
john the hand Offline

Loc: Orange County, California
http://www.savefile.com/files/1501770

Savefile seems to be down, so hopefully that Angelfire link will be fine. Anyway, I learned most of the expressions/rubato/pedalling during the month of June, so it's still a bit rough. I have a little less than 2 weeks until my piano competition, so hopefully I can get some good feedback on this.

And, again, the quality is not that great since I record with a pretty old video camera. And I already know I made some mistakes (finger slips, pedalling errors).

Enjoy? \:\)

EDIT

Savefile is finally back up! Changed the link

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#968083 - 07/20/05 11:09 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I love the opening of this piece. Think about really grouping the left hand chords into groups of two... bum BAH... bum BAH... bum BAH...

I'd make the first chord in each group of two a bit heavier than the second. Imagine a drunkard stumbling along with a really heavy right foot... STEP step... STEP step... STEP step....

Another way to think about it is as a "drop roll" or a "drop release". DROP HEAVILY let go lightly... DROP HEAVILY let go lightly...

(or reverse the accents if you prefer... step STEP... step STEP...)

#968084 - 07/20/05 11:24 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Actually, I might play the 1st chord heavier and the 2nd chord louder (but lighter).

#968085 - 07/21/05 03:39 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
john the hand Offline

Great suggestion, Sam. My teacher doesn't really care much for the first section since as long as it shows off musicality, then it will probably go well with the judges. I'll try to vary the left hand see what works well with it!

#968086 - 07/21/05 04:18 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
B Man Offline

Download doesn't work anymore.

Can you put it somewhere else?

#968087 - 07/21/05 05:14 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
john the hand Offline

Savefile wasn't working yesterday, so I had to improvise! Haha, but yea, the new link should work.

#968088 - 07/21/05 05:39 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneesooota
Thank you for sharing your recording John.

A few suggestions, feel free to accept or reject any number of them:

1) left hand, please lower the bass level. It has a "drumming" effect, and it shouldn't to the extent that it distracts the melody.

2) please respect the rest markings. Where it says rest on the music, take a rest (aka. leave off the pedal so the note isn't sustained over the rest). If you follow the rest markings you should be well off.

3) i would like to hear more dynamic range. Ebb and flow. Within phrases, yes, and between phrases.

4) please stay away from the general philosophy, "when in doubt, pedal."

5) This is not a suggestion, merely a note. Your technique is excellent.

Hope that helps!

#968089 - 07/22/05 08:01 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
B Man Offline

Too slow for my taste. Sorry to say that. Your recording of the revolutionary etude is much better.

And why don't you get a cheap MD-player from ebay, would be much better than the video camera. Or put the mic directly to the computer (if the computer does not make too much noise)

But I enjoy your recordings and wait for more!

#968090 - 07/22/05 08:28 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
john the hand Offline

Mikester: I'm still a bit bewildered about how I should play that left hand for lento section. I asked my piano teacher last night and she said to mimic the dynamics of the right hand, so louder when the melody is louder. I guess we'll see how that goes as I keep working on this piece! And I totally agree with the rests. My teacher told me to lay off the pedal and pay attention to the rests.

My dynamic range could be better. I do admit that I get a bit reserved while playing this since I'm still not 100% comfortable playing it, but with more practice, I'm sure that I'll be able to make it my own. And I love your critiques! They're not too harsh and your feedback reminds me of my teacher's

Thomas F: I actually worked on speed a bit yesterday with my teacher. She said I shouldn't be too worried by the lento/poco piu lento since nocturnes are more musical than structural. And I agree that the revolutionary is much better. It's more mature and I've been really strained for time on the nocturne.

My sister actually has an MD-player, but she claims that it's broken. I would buy better recording equipment, but I spent most of my money on birthdays! And I'm glad that you enjoyed the recordings \:\)

#968091 - 07/23/05 02:19 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1
B Man Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by john the hand:
I actually worked on speed a bit yesterday with my teacher. She said I shouldn't be too worried by the lento/poco piu lento since nocturnes are more musical than structural.
[/b]

Especially the beginning was too slow, becoming better later on. Chopin is not "one speed" per movement, but allows much more flexibility.

My sister actually has an MD-player, but she claims that it's broken. I would buy better recording equipment, but I spent most of my money on birthdays! And I'm glad that you enjoyed the recordings \:\) [/b]
Well, the video camera is just too bad, equalizing the levels and adding noise. A MD recorder/player, these small things you can carry with you, is not expensive at all.

And that's not only good for publishing your recordings here, but also to control yourself. A very useful investment.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (AtomicBond, Atrys, AZNpiano, Beemer, 16 invisible), 1160 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253469 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
04/25/14 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
04/25/14 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission