2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
http://www.savefile.com/files/1501770

Savefile seems to be down, so hopefully that Angelfire link will be fine. Anyway, I learned most of the expressions/rubato/pedalling during the month of June, so it's still a bit rough. I have a little less than 2 weeks until my piano competition, so hopefully I can get some good feedback on this.

And, again, the quality is not that great since I record with a pretty old video camera. And I already know I made some mistakes (finger slips, pedalling errors).

Enjoy? smile

EDIT

Savefile is finally back up! Changed the link

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I love the opening of this piece. Think about really grouping the left hand chords into groups of two... bum BAH... bum BAH... bum BAH...

I'd make the first chord in each group of two a bit heavier than the second. Imagine a drunkard stumbling along with a really heavy right foot... STEP step... STEP step... STEP step....

Another way to think about it is as a "drop roll" or a "drop release". DROP HEAVILY let go lightly... DROP HEAVILY let go lightly...

(or reverse the accents if you prefer... step STEP... step STEP...)

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Actually, I might play the 1st chord heavier and the 2nd chord louder (but lighter).

Sam
OP Offline
Great suggestion, Sam. My teacher doesn't really care much for the first section since as long as it shows off musicality, then it will probably go well with the judges. I'll try to vary the left hand see what works well with it!

B
B
Download doesn't work anymore.

Can you put it somewhere else?

OP Offline
Savefile wasn't working yesterday, so I had to improvise! Haha, but yea, the new link should work.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you for sharing your recording John.

A few suggestions, feel free to accept or reject any number of them:

1) left hand, please lower the bass level. It has a "drumming" effect, and it shouldn't to the extent that it distracts the melody.

2) please respect the rest markings. Where it says rest on the music, take a rest (aka. leave off the pedal so the note isn't sustained over the rest). If you follow the rest markings you should be well off.

3) i would like to hear more dynamic range. Ebb and flow. Within phrases, yes, and between phrases.

4) please stay away from the general philosophy, "when in doubt, pedal."

5) This is not a suggestion, merely a note. Your technique is excellent.

Hope that helps!

B
B
Too slow for my taste. Sorry to say that. Your recording of the revolutionary etude is much better.

And why don't you get a cheap MD-player from ebay, would be much better than the video camera. Or put the mic directly to the computer (if the computer does not make too much noise)

But I enjoy your recordings and wait for more!

OP Offline
Mikester: I'm still a bit bewildered about how I should play that left hand for lento section. I asked my piano teacher last night and she said to mimic the dynamics of the right hand, so louder when the melody is louder. I guess we'll see how that goes as I keep working on this piece! And I totally agree with the rests. My teacher told me to lay off the pedal and pay attention to the rests.

My dynamic range could be better. I do admit that I get a bit reserved while playing this since I'm still not 100% comfortable playing it, but with more practice, I'm sure that I'll be able to make it my own. And I love your critiques! They're not too harsh and your feedback reminds me of my teacher's

Thomas F: I actually worked on speed a bit yesterday with my teacher. She said I shouldn't be too worried by the lento/poco piu lento since nocturnes are more musical than structural. And I agree that the revolutionary is much better. It's more mature and I've been really strained for time on the nocturne.

My sister actually has an MD-player, but she claims that it's broken. I would buy better recording equipment, but I spent most of my money on birthdays! And I'm glad that you enjoyed the recordings smile

B
B
Originally posted by john the hand:
I actually worked on speed a bit yesterday with my teacher. She said I shouldn't be too worried by the lento/poco piu lento since nocturnes are more musical than structural.

Especially the beginning was too slow, becoming better later on. Chopin is not "one speed" per movement, but allows much more flexibility.

My sister actually has an MD-player, but she claims that it's broken. I would buy better recording equipment, but I spent most of my money on birthdays! And I'm glad that you enjoyed the recordings smile
Well, the video camera is just too bad, equalizing the levels and adding noise. A MD recorder/player, these small things you can carry with you, is not expensive at all.

And that's not only good for publishing your recordings here, but also to control yourself. A very useful investment.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission