2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Here is a re-recording of Bortkiewicz's Prelude, Op. 33, No. 6 in C#m (now that my hearing has mostly returned). It's a dark, plaintive, brooding, and tragic sounding piece ending on a note of doom. I think it provides a powerful contrast to his other preludes and is very effective.

Here's the link:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,29835.0.html

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
thanks for that rachfan, beautifully played, though the piece didn't quite agree with me...
Hope your ear's better soon, wouldn't want to miss all this bortkiewicz playing!

Zac

"I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies" - Artur Schnabel

[Linked Image]
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Zac,

Despite my hearing problem, which actually improved great today, I decided to re-record the piece today. I believe it's a better performance than the original. I hope you'll give it another try. While it might not be your favorite Bortkiewicz piece, at least you'll hear a better rendition that better represents the composer. Thanks!

David

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love Bortkiewicz! I have lots of his music, maybe some day, I will be able to master it. Keep the recordings coming.
Mike

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Mike,

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get hooked on Sergei Borkiewicz's music! I keep trying to tear myself away, but then I find another of his pieces I want to study and record. So I've made a project of it.

Bortkiewicz--a pianist, conductor, composer, and conservatory professor--lived much of his life in great financial hardship, especially during WWII. After he died in 1952, his music was seldom heard, then almost not at all. Had he immigrated to the U.S. like Rachmaninoff, instead of settling in Vienna, I think he would likely be famous today. His music is inventive and extraordinary!

All of the performance practices for his late romantic pieces have been lost over the decades. So every time I prepare one of these pieces, I have to formulate an interpretation from scratch. But I always try to play one that I believe would most please the composer. It's a pleasure to help raise pianists' awareness of this music in these forums.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Hi guys, I'm from India and have been playing the piano for about 8 years now but I've never really had any good teachers so far. I went to Vienna for a summer course with a Slovenian pianist and composer. All I want to do now is to master my instrument and I'm also interested in songwriting. I plan to take off one year after I graduate (I'm doing my masters in Physics, will graduate in May 2009) to prepare for auditions. I intend to audition for Berklee, Oberlin, and other good institutes.. I've just begun building a repertoire. Did the first movement of the tempest by Beethoven, working on Chopin etude Op 25, No 2 and doing the Bach prelude and fugue in C minor. I also need to get started on a modern composition. Where can I get hold of scores by Bortkiewicz and can somebody tell me (with the kind of pieces I'm working on) if I am likely to have the technique to play his pieces..?

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi liszt,

I'm delighted that you've taken a liking to the music of Sergei Bortkiewicz! To most pianists, this Late Romantic period music is usually first heard as "new music", as it has been in obscurity and neglect for so many decades.

A good place to find Bortkiewicz's piano scores is this link which you can copy and paste in the URL field:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Bortkiewicz%2C_Sergei_Eduardovich

You can download these works, and they are free.

While many of his pieces pose some technical difficulties, others are written more at the intermediate level. Thus, there is something for everyone in his repertoire. Best thing is to look through the sheet music to see what might be doable.

Best of luck!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission