2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love Diana Krall, both her playing and singing.

I also like Marcus Roberts, he used to play with Wynton Marsalis. One of his CDs I like is the Marcus Roberts Trio, In Honor of Duke.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks, Listzener. I may have to get Volume 4 so I can play Someone to Watch Over Me. I agree with you about wanting some more advanced arrangements. I find most arrangements are for intermediate piano, which is good for quick playing, but I want a few things that sound good enough to be in my long term repertoire.

I mentioned on another thread (I think) that I had been to a Wynton Marsalis concert a few weeks ago. The tour is "The Songs We Love," and they played only great standards. It was a concert where you could see and feel the connection the musicians had with the audience; I really would like to try my hand at a few of those great melodies.

Let me know, Listzener, when you've given those a try. I know what you mean about having a line of music forming!

Nancy

Estonia 168
M
M
For those who missed this boogie-woogie riff from the other thread, see here.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for an informative thread. I wish you could say some more about the level of difficulty of the "Great Standards" collection, Lisztener - I'm afraid it's above my level ?

I don't listen very much to jazz - I did when I was younger, but I guess I was always more fascinated by the singers, both solo and vocal groups. Piano-jazz to me can be anything from completely boring to really fantastic - and I find the jazz-world to be an unknown landscape where I easily get lost......

I discovered a Norwegian piano-trio lately (my fault I have not listened before, they have been well known for some years) - I am sure those who like Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett will also like this :

http://www.tordg.no/trio/

I'm fascinated by the fact that it is beautiful wihout being predictable.

I'd love to be able to improvise like a jazz-player, but no chance......maybe in my next life wink

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ragnhild,

I find it difficult to add more about the difficulty of the "Piano Stylings of the Great Standards" because the word "subjective" keeps creeping into my post. Levels of difficulty depend upon the subjective skills of the pianist attempting to play any given score. From my perspective (and that of those who reviewed these songs), they are written for advanced or upper level intermediate players. There is some variation of difficulty in these books, but overall the songs will take some serious work by most players.

My teacher tells me that I play at an advanced level. I'm not so sure of that. I do learn some advanced pieces, but it may take me three to four months of two-hours per day learning to get some of them up to speed and presentable. My sight-reading has never been good and my memorization ability is not where it was 20/30 years ago.

hilsener,

Lisztener

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So if I want to hear one of the standards I will have to wait for a perfomance by you then Lisztener, may I choose the song ?
(I would have asked for "Every time we say goodbye.." but it does not seem to be in the collection..)

BTW, did you listen to Tord Gustavsen ?, this is indeed music for soft-hearted people like me.

hilsen
Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
S
S
A few I haven't seen listed yet but are favorites of mine...

Billy Barber - Shades of Gray (solo piano)
Marcus Roberts
Sandy Owens
Thelonius Monk - Solo Monk (I know he's been mentioned but waka waka!)
Joe Sample

-Doug

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ragnhild,

I listened to the clips by Tord Gustavsen and enjoyed the moody blues sound they produce. I'm not an avid Jazz fan, but I can listen to their type any time.

I want you to know that I purchased a CD of Grieg's "Lyric Pieces" by Leif Ove Andsnes. There are some nice pieces on the CD and as soon as I get the current piece I'm struggling with by Scriabin ready for the May recital, I'm going to learn one of the pieces from that CD. I don't wish to reveal the title because I want to prepare it for the August recital. I find the recent threads concerning Grieg quite interesting. I don't believe he received (receives) the credit due him for some quite beautiful work. Thank you for keeping his name visible.

It will be awhile before I get to any of the Jazz songs, but I have an ear out for "Laura" in volume one. I've always found it be a haunting melody that I'd like to play.

I take it that the word "hilsen" is a closer match to "greetings" than "hilsener." Nonetheless,

I wish you peace and happiness,

Lisztener

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Hi Lisztener--I got the Great Standards, Vol. I today. Now my problem is deciding which one to start! There are a lot of great ones in that book.

Nancy

Estonia 168
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi Nancy,

Wow, that was quick!

I'm eager to know what you think of the arrangements. Do they meet your expectations? IMO, Volume I has the best selection.

I sure hope you enjoy the songs and that you will post your play of one, soon. Just because "Laura" is a favorite of mine, please don't let it hinder you from playing it if you so desire. It's hard to say when I'll get to any of them, but I'll bet that with your skills any of them will sound super.

Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck,

Lisztener

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have mentioned him before, but I just saw Laurence Hobgood last night with Kurt Elling. Wow! His playing is just wonderful. He can comp with the best of them and his solo on "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" was just perfect.

While I'm at it, if you like jazz vocalists, definitely check out Kurt Elling. Amazing voice and incredible control.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
OP Offline
I saw Kurt Elling on the PBS Legends of Jazz series and you're right IrishMak, he' a great jazz vocalist. Kurt Elling and Al Jarreau did the most amazing vocal version of Take 5, really great.

I also found a great jazz piano radio show on PBS radio. Here is a link the the Marian McPartland Jazz Piano radio show website

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, we saw the Legends of Jazz shows, too. He and Al Jarreau blended well together. And he's a nice guy, too- will always take time to talk to fans, sign stuff, pictures, etc.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
B
B
As I have mentioned before, I for one don't like to play classical but do loveto play all of the jazz standards. I love to listen Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald togther on my cd collection. Stan getz is also a great jazz sax player and I like his bosa nova collection done with Astrud Gilberto and Tom Jobim, classic stuff. The newer batch of artist such diana krall have a great sound and the great arrangments make her sound even better. In opinion the great trumpet player miles davis is a little to far out for my tasts, but I have a lot of respect his ability and talent as a jazz artist.

OP Offline
I just got the Keith Jarrett at Carnegie Hall album and wanted to say how really great this is.

The album has 2 sections, the improvised tracks and then some songs. The improv tracks can get a bit out there, but there are really great sections in all of the improv tracks. The tracks that are songs are outstanding. I really can't say enough about how good these tracks are. I think my favorite right now is "My Song" but I haven't listened to it enough yet to really have a favorite.

It's also a bit mindblowing that Keith Jarrett can go out for a big concert and just improvise.

I heard an interview with Keith Jarrett on the Marian McPartland radio show and he was saying that the way the improvisation on stage works best is if he has absolutely zero preconceived ideas before going on stage about what he's going to do. Not a lick, not a melody, not a chord change, nothing !!! That's something I just can't even comprehend.

If you get a chance definitely take a listen.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mention of the blind pianist George Shearing got me thinking of what’s so special about his arrangements. For those who like “close harmony” (two hands closely associated)
the Shearing magic is a real treat.

It’s as though, in finding his way over the 6 octave keyboard the sightless pianist was content to narrow his hand spread to a closely configured 2 octaves ... and thereby discover a smaller but more subtle new world of sound ... through poetic distillation of the inner bitter-sweet flavours and syncopation flick.

Compare the first four measures of Burton Lane’s familiar
“I like New York in June ... How About You” (as he and Ralph Freed wrote it) with that of George Shearing shown below.

web page

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission