Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#972012 - 12/20/04 08:37 AM hints for someone trying to get back into it...
Simon_newplayer Offline

Hi everybody,

I would just like to know whether if there was a crossing point for people. I really haven't ever hung around with musicians before so all I know is what I feel. I absolutely love music and I can't tell you how many songs no matter how many times I have listened to them still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I have started up and then stopped learning the piano twice before but I'm just scared I'm going to fail. I also hate talking to people and am quite an introvert and therefore would never want to be in the public eye so i keep thinking why even go on learning the piano if I don't have the goal to play in front of people. I also found that as soon as I learned to play a song well I found that I was getting too into the song and I would lose my concentration. Did any of you guys have this problem before or is it just me? Also can anyone give me some hints to get me out of this?

Me

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#972013 - 12/20/04 11:29 AM Re: hints for someone trying to get back into it...
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Welcome, Simon. I'm waiting for someone with more knowledge than me to reply to your post so I can learn, too!

#972014 - 12/20/04 12:07 PM Re: hints for someone trying to get back into it...
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Hi Simon

I think everybody experiences their own crossing points, as you say. The beauty of life is discovering these in yourself, and learning about yourself in the process.

Let me just paraphrase a couple of beliefs I hold about music, solo piano in particular:

1. it is not a competition

2. it is not a race.

3. it should not be stressful, relax and enjoy.

4. you do it first and foremost for yourself, because you love music.

5. Fear of failure is common, but what are you really afraid of? The piano won't bite.

6. A good teacher is essential and will help you break out of your shell by providing positive feedback.

7. You will get out of it as much, if not more than you put into it.

8. Playing for people, on any level, is very rewarding.

9. Martial arts and piano parallel each other in numerous ways that I continue to be amazed. Study a martial art while you study piano (my art of choice is Taekwondo) and not only will your health benefit, but you gain confidence, become considerably less introverted, and your powers of focus and concentration grow exponentially. They really do feed off each other.

10. it's not a competition. (I know, I repeated this one for a reason)

Good luck!
-Paul

#972015 - 12/20/04 12:15 PM Re: hints for someone trying to get back into it...
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
 Quote:
why even go on learning the piano if I don't have the goal to play in front of people.
News Flash:

If you don't want to play for people, you don't have to. ;\)

I actually prefer to play only for myself--when I'm practicing, if I think, even for a minute, that my husband or my kids are listening to me practice, I freeze up and I can't play and I start making all kinds of stupid mistakes.

Not everybody yearns to get up in front of a crowd and strut their stuff. For some of us, playing the piano is a solitary pleasure, like strumming a guitar in the privacy of your bedroom.

Which reminds me--the kids'll be home from school in 45 minutes, I'd better go practice now. \:D

#972016 - 12/20/04 12:55 PM Re: hints for someone trying to get back into it...
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I agree with the responses thus far. The only thing I would add is regarding failure. If you define your goals realistically, you reduce your chances of failing. For example, if your goal is to be a concert pianist in time to go on tour next summer, you're obviously setting yourself up for failure (at least, I know I'd never meet that goal--or any goal that involves achieving that level of proficiency). On the other hand, if your goal is to merely produce music for your own enjoyment, you will most likely achieve this goal with good direction (probably from a teacher) and practice.

Really think about what you would hope go gain from learning the instrument, consider the time you have to practice, the knowledge and skills you obtained from your first two piano starts, your dedication, your aptitude, etc., and see if you can really come up with some worthy and realistic goals. This is a very personal process for everyone, as each person has his or her own perspective.

#972017 - 12/20/04 02:21 PM Re: hints for someone trying to get back into it...
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if you love music and piano, then do it for yourself or your own enjoyment first and foremost. i never started playing with playing in front of people in mind, never! but, i did it anyway, sometimes by accident, playing for some friends or even strangers in rare occasions. i was nervous as hell first few times playing even just with one friend by my side, but now the enjoyment of playing overcomes the fear and nervousness i had. last time when i was playing at a friend's home, i wasn't even nervous at all. yes, i still make mistakes playing some pieces, but hey, it doesn't matter as long as my friends and myself enjoy the music.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, Alex1, Almaviva, AlanD, 34 invisible), 1529 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156075 Topics
2291940 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
3 minutes 30 seconds ago
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
41 minutes 5 seconds ago
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission