Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#972267 - 04/06/07 11:15 PM websites for listening to classical music??
stellabella Offline

When I am learning a new piece, it really helps if I can listen to it played by a professional (or someone much better than I.) Are there any websites that I can use to listen to classical pieces? I've been searching amazon and youtube and they;ve been hit or miss. and amazon allows you to listen to just a few seconds of any one piece. and I don't want to buy a CD just to listen to one thing. (i am a beginner, just started with chopin, bach, and clementi's sonatine album)
thank you

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#972268 - 04/06/07 11:59 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Yes, Stellabella.

Check out classicat:

http://www.classiccat.net/

They have a huge number of recordings, and all free.

Click on "See all composers" for the whole list.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#972269 - 04/07/07 03:38 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
denni89627 Offline

Loc: brooklyn ny
Here's another one that someone on this site recommended to me. Even if you don't subscribe you can listen to 3 pieces a day. They have MIDI and live performances.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

#972270 - 04/07/07 03:39 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
Bryan P. Carney Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, US
There's always the still extant filesharing services. Soulseek has been my source of most music for over five years. Website is Here

You can try your luck with bittorrent. I use the Azureus client. Here\'s Azureus

Following that last link should also inform you as to the nature of Bittorrent. It's not a standalone program like Napster was or Soulseek is.

Whether you have a bias against downloading music written 100-400 years ago is not known to me. Some are afraid, which is why they don't do it. Some claim it's illegal. The ones doing the claiming are either trying to support the artist [1] or represent someone attached to the music industry or even the industry associtions themselves.

I never feel downloading classical music is bad. There are seldom any artists making royalties from these performances. Musicians in an orchestra are paid a decent wage and don't play the hollywood game.

I feel the spirit of the music must live on. I would have had to shell out tens of thousands for my access to the music I have. I can still sleep at night, though.

It's a pirate's life for me,
Bryan

[1] you should support your popular artist through direct contribution by shows attended and merch purchased
=====================

#972271 - 04/07/07 05:05 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
May I suggest an alternative that can have your conscience rest at ease? Subscribe to rhapsody.com. For very one low fee per month (how much depends on whether you want the basic or enhanced service, which lets you download tunes), you have unlimited listening privileges, and they have a HUGE library of classical, modern, jazz, rock/pop, even (shudder) rap/hip-hop. I have learned so much and expanded my musical horizons infinitely since I started subscribing to them, because it allows me to try out artists and genres I never would have bothered buying a whole CD for.

#972272 - 04/07/07 10:10 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
Par Offline

Loc: S. California
If you're considering pay subscription services, I also suggest emusic.com. Their cheapest plan is about $10/month and you get 30 non-DRM mp3 downloads a month. They have a jillion classical recordings including much of Naxos's catalog. You can check out their selection before signing up. Do note that they don't have any major label stuff.

I also subscribe to Rhapsody (the cheapest plan, also about $10 but I think they're increasing it soon) because you can listen to entire songs there before deciding to download. But I usually don't download from it because their downloads are .rax format (playable only in realaudio/Rhapsody unless you burn them into cds and then rip them to mp3--too annoying! lol) and they charge me for each download in addition to the monthly fee.

I'd also suggest your public library as a free offline alternative, if you have a good one nearby.

#972273 - 04/07/07 10:57 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
You also might want to check if you library website has access to a music collection online. Our library does.

#972274 - 04/07/07 11:05 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
www.live365.com

I don't even listen to regular radio anymore.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#972275 - 04/08/07 08:37 PM Re: websites for listening to classical music??
BB Player Online   content

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Carney:
I never feel downloading classical music is bad. There are seldom any artists making royalties from these performances. Musicians in an orchestra are paid a decent wage and don't play the hollywood game.
[/b]
This is commonly referred to as "stealing". It never ceases to amaze me that people who profess to be music lovers can somehow justify stealing from musicians.

I hate to disrupt your delusion with some facts but here's how things work:
  • With the exception of the very top orchestras. Symphonies everywhere are struggling.
  • Musicians in symphony orchestras have studied and practiced for years to earn their positions.
  • With the exception of the very top tier orchestras, musicians have taken significant cuts in salaries and/or benefits in an often vain attempt to keep an orchestra going.
  • Classical music is not a huge money maker for record companies, an enormously successful classical music release might sell in the tens of thousands of copies. About what the last Usher CD sold in the first 10 minutes.
  • The sequence goes like this:
    • Record company signs a symphony to a record contract.
    • They produce a CD
    • The CD has fewer sales than expected
    • The record company doesn't renew the contract
    • The orchestra has one less source of revenue

[*]You might find a search on the terms "bankrupt symphony" informative.

Yes, the top symphonies will live on and they'll keep on releasing yet another Beethoven symphony cycle and Rachmaninov's 2nd will get yet another run through. Works off the beaten path or those performed by excellent orchestras in smaller cities just won't happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Carney:
I feel the spirit of the music must live on. I would have had to shell out tens of thousands for my access to the music I have. I can still sleep at night, though.[/b]
Interesting rationalization. After you've beaten and robbed the widow down the street you can use "she's going to die soon anyway and I needed the money more than she did".

Glad you can sleep at night.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, ando, anamnesis, 36251, A Guy, 33 invisible), 1334 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326232 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission