Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#973312 - 10/24/08 09:28 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
pianoluvr Offline

Oh my...some of these stories have been so, SO utterly inspiring.
Here is one of my happier piano stories:

This summer has been quite difficult for my family. Many of our immediate relations, close, CLOSE people to us, passed away. The worst of these was the death of my grandmother's son, my uncle. Personally, I really wanted to help my grandmother through this time. But I'm sixteen. I couldn't think of anything outstanding, nor did I have enough "weight" or "experience" to say anything profoundly wise or consoling.
However, one night I sat down to play piano, and I chose to play Fur Elise (the beginning part...I had just started the song). Somehow, I ended up playing it incredibly well. And when I finished, my grandmother came and hugged me and she was so happy and proud.

That's probably my happiest piano moment! I'd love for something like that to happen more often! \:\)

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#973313 - 10/24/08 09:46 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If these stories ever make it into the “Beef Noodles …”, surely there will be at least three categories:

Yeah, it finally clicked!!

Survived that nightmarish scenario!!

Tear Jerkers. Those are so very touching, it must have took courage to share.

(brb, I need to hug my family now)

#973314 - 10/24/08 11:54 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Beautiful and touching stories everyone.

Two memorable moments for me are the day my digital piano arrives, and the first time I was able to play a simple song with both hands together, "Jingle Bells". This is when my never ending question of whether I can learn how to play this beautiful instrument or not ends. \:\)

#973315 - 10/25/08 04:41 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Blackbird Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
Once upon a time I was sat in a room, a beautifully lit room looking at a masterful painting of a young girl, drinking in the skill of the painter.

I looked around and saw a piano sat island like near the centre of the room. I caught the eye of another sat there. Our eyes met and we nodded in the same knowing wistful way. We smiled somewhat sadly.

Our thoughts though never expressed were the same,
"Should have done it while we had the chance"

For as I looked around others came into view, we with a common purpose looking for a moment of tranquillity in the Macmillian Centre attached to the Oncology Unit.

That place, that piano, especially that painting is always with me ......

BUT as I can't paint for a toffee I'm not going to risk one day enjoy that painting again without being able to play that bloody piano.

\:\)

#973316 - 10/25/08 10:35 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Well, you ask us to share our positive piano experience - glad you ask \:\) (thought you never would :p )

Last Christmas I had the great pleasure of being given an opportunity to contribute some additional music for our church's Christmas services - both the regular Christmas service and the special Christmas Eve Candlelight service.

I did this by creating the arrangements for and recording background soundtrack music for the performance of four Christmas Carols and songs that were to be sung by four different duets (3 male/female and 1 female/female).

What I did was arrange the pieces (in 3 of the 4 adding additional lyrics and/or complete verses), record them on my digital piano, transfer them to my computer and then burn them to CD. These CDs were then played thru the church's sound system as the various duets sang the lyrics during the services.

I played almost all of the parts in the backup soundtracks. My DP has numerous built-in instrumental "voices" and many built-in "accompaniment styles" or rhythm tracks. For each piece I used only the drum & bass parts of these "styles". All other instuments heard on the CD soundtracks - guitars, strings, brass, lead instruments such as flute, oboe, fluglehorn, etc. were played by me on the DP keyboard. For those unfamiliar, most DPs have multi-track recording capabilities (mine has 16 tracks) so that in effect you can become an entire orchestra, by recording each part overtop of all preceding parts.

The arranging/composing/recording took alot of time, turned out fairly well, the singers seemed to be happy with them and the congregation appeared to really enjoy the music (owing mostly, of course, to the singing prowess of the duet members, which is considerable).

Overall this was a very positive experience with alot of personal satisfaction obtained on my part, and I believe much pleasure by a number of others.

Just to give you an idea of what these backup CD soundtracks sounded like here is perhaps the most hauntingly beautiful of all the more modern Chritmas songs I chose to work up an arrangement/recording of, with a flute serving as a substitute for the female voice, a clarinet serving as the male voice, and the piano part played via an "modern electric piano" voice:

Mary, Did You Know?

And here is a really gorgeous concert version of this great new Christmas classic (with the lyrics superimposed):

Kathy Mattea sings "Mary, Did You Know?"

Hope you enjoyed \:\)

Regards, JF

P.S. in case you were wondering, my DP is the Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301 and the other 3 songs were: "Mary's Boy Child", "In The Bleak Midwinter" and an excellent new song called "Nothing But a Child".

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#973317 - 10/27/08 07:20 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Well I've had one that I posted on other threads so I'll spare the board the repeat, but I did have one this past tuesday and it doesn't seem like much at all but it really is to me.

My piano teacher is as mentioned many times before a brilliant retired pianist and although she no longer performs she is quite active with the teachers music federation, recitals and teaches 5 students free of charge simply because she loves it.

This past Tuesday she said as a matter of fact during class "You know I didn't know this but the music federation recitals and or competitions (not sure what words she was using since I playing and listening to her at the same time) is for adults as well. I didn't know this. clears her throat.

I pretended not to hear and she mentioned it again and looked at me with doe like eyes and a little crap eating grin.

I simply said "Oh neato hmmm I love to play in front of people but I think I'll give it one more year" \:D

Coming from her I was in 7th heaven. I felt so honored that she would think that I'm good enough for something like this.

#973318 - 10/29/08 04:52 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:
I pretended not to hear and she mentioned it again and looked at me with doe like eyes and a little crap eating grin.

I simply said "Oh neato hmmm I love to play in front of people but I think I'll give it one more year" \:D

Coming from her I was in 7th heaven. I felt so honored that she would think that I'm good enough for something like this. [/b]
OG - how could you refuse someone looking at you with "doe like eyes and a little crap eating grin"? ;\)

That was an honor indeed that she thought you were good enough - and we're still waiting to hear for ourselves just how good - when did you say you'll be submitting a piece to a Recital or Monthly Piano Bar?

Regards, JF

#973319 - 10/29/08 08:33 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JF,

I just don't do well when the red dot is on but I did leave it on all during my practice yesterday on purpose to try and get used to it and managed to get one that wasn't too bad if you can ignore the huge pause in one section. LOL

I'm in the middle of new material chopin waltz in A minor and we're starting that Brahms one and there's no way I'll ever get it done for recital time.

I'll post the junk I did yesterday but let me think about it a little more. It was pretty bad since I was so concious of the recorder being on. \:D

#973320 - 10/29/08 09:47 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok I'm uploading it and I'll post it in October piano bar.

#973321 - 10/29/08 10:51 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
"I just don't do well when the red dot is on"

I hear that!

#973322 - 10/29/08 11:35 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
Bryan P. Carney Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, US
My latest memorable moment came just this past weekend and is the most important in my musical life:

I have developed a friendship with a very accomplished, trained violinist. He suggested I was ready to play some chamber music with him. We decided upon Mozart's sonata for piano and violin, K. 301, in G major.

Thus far, I have not known the joy of playing music in any setting other than a lonely room, with occasional passers-by. I feel as though a whole new world is open to me, now. Although I was not able to sight read this piece at first, and it took me a week to learn the two movements up to par with how we thought it should be played, I now have a lifetime of playing divine music with friends. Also, knowing that there was little pressure, I was much more enthusiastic about learning.

Although it seems whenever I post to these forums I am saying the same thing: music has changed my life and it should be changing yours, too. I can only say it again: I never thought, when I started playing, that music could bring so much joy to my life.

And Mozart! Mozart rocks!
=====================

#973323 - 10/29/08 10:51 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
How's this for music causing a life-changing event.

Soon after starting University I had a date with a young woman from my former high-school. The date went very well, I thought, but when I tried for a repeat, she never had time for me. Then my high-school had its fall graduation and, unbeknownst to me, the young woman was acting as an usher. After the ceremonies, I was in a very serious mood, and went back to the empty auditorium to be by myself, and on the stage was a grand piano. I had never had the nerve to play it before, but this night, all by myself in this huge space I did. Shortly after, the young woman I had being trying to date, passed in the hall, heard the music, entered the auditorium, sat and listened to me play. After a while she got up and sat on the piano bench beside me. That was in 1958. We have never been separated since and have been wonderfully married for 46 years.

#973324 - 10/30/08 01:10 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
KLD Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:
How's this for music causing a life-changing event.

Soon after starting University I had a date with a young woman from my former high-school. The date went very well, I thought, but when I tried for a repeat, she never had time for me. Then my high-school had its fall graduation and, unbeknownst to me, the young woman was acting as an usher. After the ceremonies, I was in a very serious mood, and went back to the empty auditorium to be by myself, and on the stage was a grand piano. I had never had the nerve to play it before, but this night, all by myself in this huge space I did. Shortly after, the young woman I had being trying to date, passed in the hall, heard the music, entered the auditorium, sat and listened to me play. After a while she got up and sat on the piano bench beside me. That was in 1958. We have never been separated since and have been wonderfully married for 46 years. [/b]
Very touching....does she still listen to you play?

#973325 - 10/30/08 05:21 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
KLD, yes she often asks me to play "These Foolish Things", which was the piece I was playing when she happened by the auditorium.

Last year, I changed direction, and decided that before I die I wanted to learn to play the piano "properly". Here-to-fore I had used the old "pop piano" method: stride-bass left hand, octave on melody with chord tones in the right. With so many notes being played, you can make a lot of noise. Anyway, I started with Alfred's Level 2 last fall and am now in the middle of Alfred's Level 3, so she's not inclined to listen to everything I work on. But once in a while, such as the Etude and Danny Boy in Level 2, and Scheherazade in Level 3, she listens to my playing. She has a terrific musical memory and a much better feeling for the music that I do, and could have been a really good player if she had had my work ethic. But making pottery is what moves her.

#973326 - 10/30/08 05:24 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
My teacher's criticism is very gentle so when he once said "Well, you got all the notes right." it was like a spear through my heart.

On the other hand, he almost never offers a complement so they have come to mean a great deal to me. This past summer I was toiling over WTC prelude and fugue BWV 881. When I finished playing, he said one word: "Impressive."

I still relish the moment.

Deborah

#973327 - 10/30/08 05:35 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Soon after restarting and getting a teacher, he suggested the Scriabin op 2 Etude. I looked at him and blinked, thinking wow, one of my fave pieces of music, surely not, and he suggested it not me, weird...

We got there and I realise now why he chose it. It's one of those pieces you can continually add layers to. I know you can do it to all pieces, but particually pieces like this with lots of polyphony and alternative melodies - and it has helped me in that area so much. I don't think I will ever be without it.

It's amazing the variation in performances of it. Here is Horowitz playing it ever so delicately - it's a piece he enjoyed playing a lot...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsKJIzwapA

However best of all, my teacher gave a public concert last christmas played a waltz I composed in between some Chopin and Handel - I can't tell you what that meant to me and still does...

#973328 - 10/31/08 07:40 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by gooddog:
My teacher's criticism is very gentle so when he once said "Well, you got all the notes right." it was like a spear through my heart.

On the other hand, he almost never offers a complement so they have come to mean a great deal to me. This past summer I was toiling over WTC prelude and fugue BWV. When I finished playing, he said one word: "Impressive."

I still relish the moment. [/b]
This sounds like my teacher. His criticizm would be something like.... I really wish you would be more self indulgent...or "now that you've got the notes secure lets...." the "Wow" moments are rare but when they do happen I'm on cloud nine for the week!

#973329 - 10/31/08 09:21 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
For me the positive experiences I have had have been 1) I played the music for the "grand group" Mass. This is a group of senior citizens who meet once a month at the church where i work. Even though we have a parish musician, she is never there to play for a service, except on the weekends. I have led the monthly services either as a cantor or the time I had to lead a Communion service but never as a pianist. I played for the first time last month for this group and I wasn't nervous!

The second positive experience I had was in D.C when I was at the AARP convention and there was a section of the center that had a music pavillion. I sat down at a clavinova to play somne music that I didn't think I had memorized and there were literally people walking all around.. some would stop and listen and one person I had met two nights prior came by and listened. Again, i wasn't nervous and that's a surprise because my hands always shake!!! I'm sorry this is so long but I have been excited by this because I never thought I would ever be doing this.

#973330 - 11/04/08 05:57 PM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
RobM Offline

Loc: Plymouth, Devon, UK
This thread has been very inspiring, particularly OldFingers' story of meeting his wife-to-be while playing the piano!

Until today I couldn't really think of anything that particularly stood out that I could share, but that certainly changed this afternoon. I've been on the lookout for my first acoustic piano for a little while now (loving the shopping experience by the way) and I'd arranged to view a Waldstein 108 piano today in my lunch hour from work.

It just so happened that the truck the seller uses to move pianos had broken down over the weekend, so the piano I was viewing was still on stage in a small venue where it was hired out for a jazz performance on Sunday. Fortunately for me, this meant that I'd be able to really appreciate the tone of the piano in the ideal surroundings, rather than the 'container' where he normally stores pianos. Little did I know, or did the seller know for that matter, that there was a small club/meeting taking place at the venue when we'd agreed for me to view the piano.....so what was originally supposed to be a little trial session turned into somewhat of a performance instead, with roughly 15-20 people sat around tables nearby and me playing the piano on stage! I'd never experienced anything like this before and, somehow, I didn't actually mess anything up. It was exhilarating!

To make the experience even better, soon after this I agreed with the seller that I want to buy the piano and he said he'd deliver it tomorrow afternoon! I can't wait! I haven't even placed a deposit yet and I can't afford to pay in full for another month or so, but he doesn't mind this and said the piano may as well be in my home getting some use rather than sat in his storage for the next month. I've barely been able to wipe the ridiculous grin off my face all day, and I doubt I'll be able to for some time yet. \:D

My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/MastahUK

#973331 - 11/05/08 12:29 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
I can vividly remember my first recital (I started piano lessons at the age of 13 by the way). The piece of choice for my debut in front of my other classmates was Chopin's Nocturne op. 9 no. 2. I cannot express how nervous I was.

At the time of studying the music with my teacher, I had been learning this nocturne from the Paderewski edition which gives various interpretations that Chopin used in his lifetime regarding this particular nocturne, as he rarely played the nocturnes the same way over and over.

I had been so obssessed with these various possible variations for certains bars in this nocturne. I was however taught the way every book usually has it scored.

At the night of my recital, I was sweating, shaking, and had the horrible cold hands. It turns out that I played the entire nocturne observing almost all of the possible variations for this nocturne because of my horrible anxiety. Not bad though, and I am happy my interpretation was completely different. Even the ending was different. This is what I mean by the variations for this nocturne.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I remember observing the alternate ending which at the time I could not resist. So much for playing Chopin for the 1st time in public.

#973332 - 11/13/08 07:37 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:
After a while she got up and sat on the piano bench beside me. That was in 1958. We have never been separated since and have been wonderfully married for 46 years. [/b]
Great story OldFingers - but aren't you two tired of sitting on the bench together all this time - maybe you should get up, separate and go to different rooms together \:D (or something),

Regards, JF

#973333 - 12/11/08 09:57 AM Re: Share your positive Piano experience
molivier Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I was in the wedding party for a close friend years back at the very fancy Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. I was dressed in a tux and the photo session before the wedding wasn't going to start for a bit, so I wandered around the hotel grounds.

I came across a white grand piano sitting unattended outside in a beautiful setting between a few of the buildings... unattended?! ... who would stop me, dressed in a tux?

I sat down to play, and improv'd mellow new age stuff for a little while, thinking no one was listening. After about 20 minutes, I hit the opening chord to Bennie and the Jets. Someone in the distance yelled "Alright!!" and I realized that quite a few people were listening from their rooms.

I played a bit more, and that was it. I loved finding that great place to play and having the perfect disguise for it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
43 minutes 38 seconds ago
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, 8ude, ajames, Almaviva, 42 invisible), 1535 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157689 Topics
2316177 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission