2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#975437 03/12/06 09:15 AM
OP Offline
I am new to this site, posted for shopping help last night. We are getting a piano for the family, and my 6yo currently takes lessons.

I have always dreamed, *my entire life* of playing piano. I have figured my time has gone by. But, it has been apparent to me I *need* to learn a little to best serve my dd in her education. I mean, I do not even read music.

I was browsing around here some last night and have an excited feeling about trying to learn! Thankyou all. I cannot wait to hear the recitals you all have recorded. What a fabuous and supportive site. Really cool. I am so glad I found this in my shopping searches.

I hope I can join you all here someday as an adult beginner. Time is tough(I also have a 2yo) and I have all sorts of crafty and artsy hobbies. And I tend to obsess on my current favorite. So, if I get into playing, and have any aptitude, I can see where it might become all consuming! But, then, I think that is the bond you all share here?!

Well, just wanted to say hi, and how inspiring it is to see so many adults who have truly just begun the journey. smile Michele

#975438 03/12/06 10:44 AM
One of the (many) reasons I took up piano was so I wouldn't be jealous of my children as they became musicians! I grew up in non-musical family, but my children and husband all play instruments, and now so do I... it's great being part of such a family.

There are people here who squeeze in fifteen or twenty minutes of playing at a time, and you really can make progress that way.

I encourage you to take lessons -- or if that's not possible, to get a good method book and work through it on your time. It's SO worth it...

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
#975439 03/12/06 11:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You can definitely do it. If you don't have a lot of time, the key is to have a goal every time you sit down to practice.

It may be something as simple as getting those 3 measures down, or learning the fingering for a scale, or what have you.

A lot of people confuse "practice" with playing their pieces from start to finish, over and over again. Nothing wrong with that (playing is the point, after all), but practice should have a purpose.

#975440 03/12/06 11:48 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello novicebuyer! Welcome to PW!! Let me first say you have made a positive (giant) step by finding this forum.

Besides very knowledgeable piano owner's, you'll find many members willing to share their piano experiences in whatever related question you might have. Basically, you'll find lots of positive input and support from hobbyists, techs, professional musicians and oh yes, even dealers!

Since you are a MA member ( laugh yippie ) you'll also have many opportunities to personally gather with a wonderful group of local members and attend piano gatherings.

Check out the Members Gatherings Forum if and when you have an opportunity.

I applaud you for introducing the piano into your children's young lives. May they (yourself included) enjoy the pleasure of what it will offer them for many years to come.

Feel free to PM me anytime.

#975441 03/12/06 12:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Michele, welcome!! Since you are getting a piano anyway, I say go for it!!! And you are correct, the piano has become an obsession for many of us!! I know it has for me!

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
#975442 03/12/06 02:41 PM
T
T
When I was a kid, I wanted a piano but my mom always said we never had enough room. Lessons would be to expensive, and I probably wouldnt be good at it or keep up with practice.
I do remember though having a mini toy play by number and I really loved it. I could play all the songs in the little music card that come with it.
[Linked Image]

It wasnt long that I had gotten on of those cheap dollar store keyboards, one note play and it was awesome to carry around playing for everyone or getting on my moms nerves with it.. laugh
Then as a teen after being in the band playing a trumpet, my dad gave me a yamaha portasound PSS-680 with Stereo/PCA Rythhm/midi/FM voice Bank a awesome and one of the best gifts I ever got! A Music station in deed it was. He made me a case better than you can buy, I think so anyways. It was made out of the gray, tough, stereo speaker material with excellent snaps, pockets for the power chord, and music books or sheet. He also made me a stand that was reversable to stand up and play or sit down..I still have it and I just bought the chords to connect it to my pc..My kids enjoy it too.
Anyways, I was very fortunate enough that my high school offered a piano class and I took it my senior year. We used electric keyboard. Full size keys. There was nothing fancy accept they played well and sounded a lot like a real piano. I think the class had 10 of them...More schools need this for sure too! They chorus teacher wanted her chorus student to be able to understand music theory, as well as play for themselves and others while singing. Laurens high school in south carolina has a variety of students that come from low income or middle class families. A lot of at risk kids as well. The teachers there were very positive about a hopeful future in talent so they were always and still are probably trying to get grants to improve what they have. I sure am glad they were. I like the arts a lot...If it wasnt for some of the teachers I am sure I would not be the same today or I would be going a different direction other than the music and art.
I quit playing for a long time even my trumpet.. only picking it up every 2 years or so. Last year I started playing my old freebie piano that we have had for 5 years. I even picked my trumpet back up. I play every day now even its a scale, some chords, or my favorite tune...I am not cordinated with my left hand but I am getting there. When I started back I could only play with my right hand the best I even almost forgot how to play the easy pieces that I learned in school. Now I can play those eays beginner songs. I guess at a level 4 or 5 pretty comfortable.
My point is this....
If you have always wanted to, dreamed about it, if you have a passion for it, if you really want it then try and go for it.. Take it a step at time. It wont come easy all at once...It takes some reading and a little effort to get the basics..
You can do it at any age and progress just as if you were a child or young beginner...
Here are some sites that are really cool for starts that I like. Piano Page
Jeanies piano teaching
Music theory and more
K-12 music resources for teachers
I am creating a easy book for my 5 year old to learn. I am using the basics and something similar to the mini piano that I had when I was a kid to to teach him. I am using 2 different styles to give him more practice in learning the alphabet and numbers. He loves it too..Its helping him to recognize the numbers and letters...We are homeshcooling so music and the arts will be a big deal and affect his life in someway, I hope anyways.

Its never to late for anything right...
Better late than never.
Go for it!
Good luck and have fun too.
Peace!

Peace!
#975443 03/12/06 09:38 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dh and I already have a plan to put ourselves through the paces of dd's books. We have her first set, and I observed her first three months of lessons(or dad did). So, we can easily start there at the very least! That will get me as far as learning the bass and treble clefts, notes and basics of early reading. I really am a blank slate. No reading skill at all. So, It is great to do it right with her. But I need to spend time at that.

Seems like a good way to go. I would take lessons at some point, but might need to wait until thte piano is paid for and my son is on preschool! My parents always considered me very musical, and I love to sing(not sure others love hearing it). I just was afraid to say yes to the piano after my Dad took me shopping and gave me a very stern lecture about, "If we get this, you better play it." Then, at 9, he let me decide. I was afraid because how did I even know until I tried? I regret it to this day.

So, we are at least providing the opportunity to dd. I hope she sticks with it. She loves playing, but not structure!

I am getting great advice for our shopping, too. Michele

#975444 03/12/06 10:32 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi novicebuyer,

The good thing about the piano is that several small amounts of practice (say, 15 minute bursts) can actually serve you better than one long concentrated session. And with a 2 year old, several short bursts is all you're going to be able to manage! (Mine are 6 and 10 right now, and any time I get the new baby urge, I remind myself just how exhausting the toddler years are. Man I'm glad I'm past that!)

And, hi to you, too, tolovemoon! Welcome to the forum! And thank you for posting your story. I have to say, when I saw that picture of the "mini piano" and read about you bending over and playing every song you could on it, I wanted to go back in time and pass the hat around and get you a DECENT piano! laugh

#975445 03/12/06 10:37 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i have a 2 and 5 year old and as i practice i always thought my kids were quiet--well, one day i decided to tape myself and saw just how much they talk to me and i to them while i am playing and i never realized it as i was so into the playing i just talked to them and played. i still dont know how i was doing it, what caught me in that session was mommy i went poopy---i said you went poopy ok just a minute, then i realized i was taping this and burst out laughing changed his diaper--then listened to the tape--and i play right through the distractions and talk with them. how i do it i still have no clue:) hope this helps just a little:)

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission