2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#975597 03/22/06 04:30 PM
zoso Offline OP
OP Offline
A local piano shop teaches the chord method also called ez play. Group lessons. Im studying from Alfreds adult books, but would like to explore other methods as well. Ive read posts about piano magic, but dont really understand how they teach, and Ive searched the web and found rocket piano, and others like it. Anyone with personal experiences with any of these please reply and give me an idea of how they teach, what you have learned and what I could expect to be able to play after 6 months, a year, ect. I still plan to continue with alfreds as I want to be able to read, but I also want to get up and playing stuff too. Thanks

Have a nice day
#975598 03/22/06 04:54 PM
Are you interested in improvisation? If so, you may want to check out my site. It teachers beginning adults how to play piano in the New Age style. Go to http://www.quiescencemusic.com for more information.

#975599 03/22/06 05:07 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, there are gobs of threads already on PianoMagic, but I'll do a quick once-over for you.

The sole goal of PianoMagic is to teach the ability to play tunes that you know well enough to hum them all the way through without requiring sheet music or fakebooks. In other words, how to play-by-ear.

In order to play-by-ear well, without years of trial and error plunking, you need to know the theory behind where chords come from and their relationship to melody and rhythm. PM teaches that.

You're taken step by step from what to do with your hands, to how to figure out the melody to the tune that you can hum, to how to force a tune into a desired key. Initially, you're restricted to a single key, (C-major), and you're restricted from songs that are in a minor key and are too complex. Your first batch of songs that you can play by ear are going to be folk songs, children's songs, and some holiday songs.

The fee is currently $189 for the first year and renewals are about half that, (although Mike is always running participatory deals where you can earn free months). There are NO additional materials that need to be purchased. All you need is a piano or keyboard with a sustain pedal and a desire to learn how to play pop, jazz, blues, gospel, etc. by ear. Ideally, you'll want to have a keyboard that can record midi files for submission, but that can wait a while if all you have is an acoustic.

If you're curious to hear what PM students sound like, there is a link on the PM website to a bunch of videos that were taken last September in London. None of the students had more than two years with the program. Also, the recent piano recital here in the AB forum had six participants who are PM students. Only two of them, (Balladeer and Seaside), had more than two years with the program and most, like me, have only been with it a few months.

Does that help?

#975600 03/22/06 08:58 PM
R
R
Oh, I'm never comfortable "name-dropping" in these matters. At this point in the discussion, I'll stick with this: I've been teaching myself for about three years. That means I've purchased locally quite a few "method" books, and several pieces of sheet music (including the online download-it-now type).

In addition, I've tried materials or complete courses from four differnt "online" sites.

At this point, I'm merely waiting to get back to work to get the money to sign-up at PianoMagic.

Mike Anderson (of PianoMagic) certainly comes highly recommended from many good people here. I've listened to the music played by some of students (links are in another thread), watched the videos mentioned in the previous post. That's the best testimony to his ability as a teacher.

But mostly my decision comes after having had the chance to talk to Mr. Anderson on the phone this past weekend. His passion and sincerity can't be hidden. But his real gift, as I see it and as I told him, is that of teaching. In the two hours we talked, we made many of the things I've read, studied, and practiced from other methods finally make sense. His gift is helping others to have that "light" go on.

This isn't to say the other methods and other teachers are great. They are. And I'm not at all trying to downplay how much I did indeed learn. It's only that I've hit that plateau (or valley, depending upon your point of view) and I'm not making the progress that *I* think I should, that I know I'm capable of. When a person looks for a "teacher," it's that indefinable "something" that just "clicks" that lets you know it's the right choice.

Sorry for rambling. But after a couple-decades of teaching Karate, I've seen first-hand how important that "something" is between student and teacher. Three people can say and teach the same thing, but it'll make sense to any given individual ONLY from one particular person.

Best of luck with your playing!

Randy
#975601 03/22/06 09:34 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Edward (quiescen), I checked out your site and the style is great! I'm looking forward to when I'll have time to sign up and add your stuff to my pianistic toolbox. Alas, folk, rock and roll, and some jazz are first in line for me.

That new-agey style has some big fans around here in the AB forum.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission