Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#976989 - 12/07/08 07:53 PM I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
1234 Offline

Loc: canada
Is is really true that I can learn to play the piano at the age of XXXXX? What am I up against?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#976990 - 12/07/08 08:03 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Hi 1234, welcome to the forums.

Take a look at this site. It's written by a teacher who specializes in adult students:

http://www.musicalfossils.com/

I would guess that you are looking at taking lessons. It is important to have a good idea of what you want to eventually be able to play when you go looking for a teacher. Also, how you will play it - by reading sheet music, by playing from a lead sheet (fake book), or by playing by ear.

I'm sure you will get plenty of other tips as well.

Rich

#976991 - 12/07/08 08:42 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1234:
Is is really true that I can learn to play the piano at the age of XXXXX? What am I up against? [/b]
(1) Yes
(2) The weight of whatever negative expectations you may possess, and whatever obstacles to practicing that may exist.

Piano is one of the last great true meritocracies out there: If you put in disciplined practice, you will learn to play the piano. Period. Guaranteed. If you don't, you probably won't. ;\)

Welcome to the forum! \:\)

#976992 - 12/07/08 08:54 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
Welcome to the fourum 1234,

Repeat after me....YES, I CAN!

Your are going to love your piano journey.

For the last 9 months I have taken a one hour lesson each week, my teacher told me a couple of months ago that I had already advanced past her youth students that have taken lessons for 5 years or more.

Age just might be an advantage and not a pitfall, when it comes to the piano.

I was at the piano store yesterday, and the owner told us about an 89 year old lady that drove her buick up to the door a few years ago, and announced that she wanted to purchase a Steinway. She inquired which one was the best... wrote a check, and told them that: the truck could follow her home. (NO KIDDING) He went on to report that she has recently moved to assisted living, but that she did indeed learn to play that Steinway.

The most important thing that has to be addressed.... Have you located the right teacher?

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

#976993 - 12/07/08 09:36 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Welcome to the forum 1234.

A benefit you have as an adult beginner is you will generally know what styles of music you like and would like to learn. A child taking lessons will usually end up on the classical track while adults can end up all over the place. A child may be learning because the parents want to expose them to music while we're exposing ourselves to leaning music because we WANT to. That can make a huge difference.

#976994 - 12/07/08 09:47 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Age, for some reason people think you have to start as a kid. Only thing kids have over an adult is time. As an adult you will have to carve out your practice time, however, you probably will be better motivated and stick with it better than the kids.

I took up keyboard at 73, and am having a lot of fun. Course I come from a guitar background. Took up guitar at the early age of 65. Don't let age stop you.

Ditto the right teacher. The lady down the block will normally teach classical play by rote piano. You need some of that to get the basic fingering and scale work behind you. Our Daughter helped me with that and after I got the basic down I jumped on lead sheet music and have not looked back.

Decide what type of music you want to play and then be very specific with your teacher. That's probably the one great advantage adults have, we are not intimidated by our teachers and we expect result, as it's our money we are spending.

Welcome to our World.

Have fun.

Malcolm

#976995 - 12/07/08 10:42 PM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1234:
Is is really true that I can learn to play the piano at the age of XXXXX? What am I up against? [/b]
Hmmm,,, I don't know,,,
the age of "XXXXX"?
The smallest number (of "age") that has 5 numerals is 10,000.
You might be to old!

Mike

#976996 - 12/08/08 01:12 AM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL at mdsdurango!

As many have mentioned, if playing the piano is a skill, then it only requires time and effort. Sure, some people will have natural talent, but it is something that is learned.

Children don't have jobs, responsibilities, or the same pressures as an adult. Adults are also very critical of themselves (I can't say I'm not the same, and I'm only 19!).

Do it because you want to. If you want to play like a 13 year old who began when they were 3, then play and practice for 10 years. It's as simply as that. And if you don't want to put in the 10 years, ask yourself if you are doing this for someone or something other than yourself. If the answer to that is "Yes," then don't bother. Music is a personal journey. You'll impress others down the road, but start with yourself.

PS
Don't let roadblocks stop you! I hit a rough patch with a simple version of "The Can-can" over the summer. I was completely discouraged and I barely practiced. Suddenly, I realized how immature and stupid I was acting. I began to take it slow, study and try, and now it's another song in my repertoire.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#976997 - 12/08/08 09:10 AM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
ll has hit the nail on the head and appears wise beyond his years. At age 50, I would have said exactly the same thing. The only other thing I might add is the words "commitment, dedication and determination." If you're the type that easily gives up on life's challenges, this won't be for you.

Its a lifestyle. You must do it everyday, just like brushing your teeth and combing your hair.

On the upside, I think you'll find the journey extremely gratifying. You'll create a world that you can escape to a for an hour a day (or however much time you dedicate for practice), away from the pressures and worries of the real world. After a while, you'll be able to play a few songs, which can only get better over time, and create a sense of enjoyment for yourself (and perhaps others too, if you decide to play for them).

Don't be afraid to pull the trigger. If its not for you, then move on. But, there's only one way to find out if it is for you...

#976998 - 12/10/08 11:59 AM Re: I haven't had my first lesson yet..............
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
So..... 1234, Have you had your first lesson yet? Or should I ask, when will you have your first lesson?

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1265 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157099 Topics
2307186 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
28 minutes 37 seconds ago
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission