Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (angga888, AZNpiano, anamnesis, 23 invisible), 1240 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 205 of 275 < 1 2 ... 203 204 205 206 207 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1382038 - 02/24/10 03:25 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
Thank you very much for the link! No problems to report here. Happy listening everyone! smile

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1382041 - 02/24/10 03:34 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Chopin4life]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
wow That last young lady must be a professional. She took my breath away.

K

#1382047 - 02/24/10 03:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
Mark: That was so lovely. The violin can really bring out the emotion in Chopin's music......

(viola, viola!) smile
But of course it's true for violin too.

#1382050 - 02/24/10 03:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chopin4life Offline

Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
wow That last young lady must be a professional. She took my breath away.

K

I thought that too. The only piece I heard her play was the 3rd Ballade - a phenomenal performance.

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1382056 - 02/24/10 03:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: LisztAddict
Hi Jeff K - it would be super nice if you could take some pictures and post them here so we could get a little feel of what you are experiencing there. laugh

I am now watching/listening to a very unusual improv. of Chopin Prelude No 4 from the webcam.

Dear LisztAddict, I'd be happy to, if someone can tell me 1) how to transfer photos from one's Blackberry to one's computer, and/or 2) how to post photos on this site.

Speaking of the adverts, I notice Yundi Li seems now to be styling himself just "Yundi". At least that's how the ads have it here. Is this true? Is he following in the footsteps of Midori (or Liberace)? Why would one do this?

Jeff Kallberg

#1382061 - 02/24/10 03:55 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Jeff Kallberg
.....I notice Yundi Li seems now to be styling himself just "Yundi". At least that's how the ads have it here. Is this true? Is he following in the footsteps of Midori (or Liberace)? Why would one do this?

Because if it works, it's extremely distinctive, and it probably helps toward making the person a "household name."

If it works.
If it doesn't, it looks ridiculous. smile

#1382074 - 02/24/10 04:11 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
I will listen to Yundi Li no matter what he calls himself, but I hope he doesn't get pretentious.

Dr. Jeff, I'm hoping that when you come back you may have some advice for those of us who will be going to Warsaw later this year, in terms of hotels, etc. And of course I hope everything about your trip is smooth and very fruitful.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1382095 - 02/24/10 04:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Chopin4life Offline

Wow, amazing performance of Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise Brillante

Venables & Son 152

#1382113 - 02/24/10 05:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Chopin4life]
4000 Post Club Member

Who is that man who won't get away from the piano? I don't care to listen to Chopin's music "jazzed up" for more than 2 minutes. He is giving me a headache.

Yes, I do agree. What a performance of the above mentioned. And the two performances preceding. It seems the ladies are more prevalent than the gentlemen at this concert. And they are, by no means, the weaker "gender" when it comes playing extremely forceful and difficult pieces.

You go, girl(s)! thumb

K

#1382166 - 02/24/10 06:29 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
The Scherzo is my favorite.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1382271 - 02/24/10 09:11 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mike White]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
After a day of listening off and on, I heard a few Andante spianato & polonaise, a few Polonaise op 53, Scherzo no 2, Ballade 3, Prelude 4, 15, 23, 24, Nocturne 48/1.

No Barcarolle, Fantasie, Ballade 4, Etude 10/1,4,11,12, or any from opus 25, any impromptu. No prelude from 1 to 3, 5 to 14, 16, 18 to 22. No scherzo 3 & 4.

It's now 5:10 am Poland time, and there are still people playing, the camera man is still there. laugh

Edited by LisztAddict (02/24/10 11:10 PM)

#1382464 - 02/25/10 05:29 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Every day over the next 5 days Jack Gibbons will be posting on Facebook a Chopin mazurka recording. Jack writes "his mazurkas are hidden jewels of wisdom, still little known."
The sound quality is really good, a no-opus number in A minor has been posted today.

#1382475 - 02/25/10 06:04 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Hi Jeff K - it would be super nice if you could take some pictures and post them here so we could get a little feel of what you are experiencing there. laugh

I am now watching/listening to a very unusual improv. of Chopin Prelude No 4 from the webcam.

Dear LisztAddict, I'd be happy to, if someone can tell me 1) how to transfer photos from one's Blackberry to one's computer, and/or 2) how to post photos on this site.

Speaking of the adverts, I notice Yundi Li seems now to be styling himself just "Yundi". At least that's how the ads have it here. Is this true? Is he following in the footsteps of Midori (or Liberace)? Why would one do this?

Jeff Kallberg

I'm guessing it's part of his PR people's attempt to re-market him, after his oust at DG (during which he sort of "disappeared" for a while). It's too bad he feels he needs to go the way of the "yellow press" to put his name back out there.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1382510 - 02/25/10 08:06 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: stores]
4000 Post Club Member

Is it just me and my ever-failing hearing or is the young lady who is now play (7 am Chicago time) adding extra notes to Chopin's music? She is quite accomplished, but since when do we rewrite Chopin's music?

K

#1382518 - 02/25/10 08:34 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

OK, I know I am a bit crabby this morning, but what is that orange horn sitting out of Chopin's head on the poster? It looks like a a party hat. (Gosh, maybe he is celebrating his birthday.) Anyhow, it looks absurd.

K

#1382547 - 02/25/10 09:43 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA.
Quote:
what is that orange horn sitting out of Chopin's head on the poster? It looks like a a party hat.

It is indeed his birthday party hat! Get in the spirit, Kathleen! laugh

#1382565 - 02/25/10 10:07 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Speaking of Chopin piano marathon, non-stop Chopin music to March 1st.
http://chopin2010.pl/en/events/news/id/1094

New camera angle. I like this one much better!

#1382586 - 02/25/10 10:36 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Strings & Wood]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
The guy who's playing in Warsaw right now is the best I've heard yet (and he looks a little like Mati). It was kind of sad with the folks I was listening to last night/their early morning; there would be an awesome performance, and since hardly anyone was around, just a few anemic claps in response. There was an especially superb performance of the fourth ballade that would have brought the house down, had there been a house.

This is freaky, isn't it, being able to curl up all comfy in one's bed and hear someone playing live half a planet away.

I haven't gotten a chance to check Mike White's recordings yet, nor Jack Gibbons'.

I think the party hat looks kind of stupid too, but it's a cute idea. Would he wear orange, though? Couldn't they make it purple?

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1382642 - 02/25/10 11:52 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: custard apple]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: custard apple
.....a no-opus number in A minor has been posted today.

Can you give a link to Jack Gibbons' FB page? (I tried finding it, couldn't.)

If it's the mazurka I think -- "to Emile Gailliard" (?) -- I've seen it written that it was originally going to be Opus 43 but then Chopin changed his mind and gave that number to the Tarentelle.

Don't know if it's true.

It's a terrific mazurka which IMO doesn't get its due, and probably because it's sort of an "orphan" with no opus number.

#1382665 - 02/25/10 12:16 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Chopin4life Offline

I wonder what's in that bag they give everyone after their performance...

Venables & Son 152

#1382703 - 02/25/10 01:05 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

So I figured out how to get photos from my Blackberry to my computer. How do you add a photo that doesn't have a URL to a post here then?

Jeff Kallberg

#1382710 - 02/25/10 01:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mark_C Online   content

(How cool........you're learning stuff from us!!) smile

#1382711 - 02/25/10 01:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Chopin4life Offline

I'm not sure how to add photos without a URL, but you can easily give it one.

Just go to http://photobucket.com/, create a free account there, upload your photos from your computer, and then they'll have a URL.

Venables & Son 152

#1382743 - 02/25/10 01:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
So I figured out how to get photos from my Blackberry to my computer. How do you add a photo that doesn't have a URL to a post here then?

Jeff Kallberg
If they're not too big upload them to here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/ Careful .JPG must not be .jpg and vis versa.

#1382752 - 02/25/10 02:02 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
I am addicted and not getting much done. Hard to just keep it in the background when I wanna watch!

There have been some incredible performances. And I can so relate to the nerves that cause some others to be not as stella as they really can play.

Has anyone posted yet what piano is in the main hall? Or the one that was early EST this morning - And the weather was so nice that the windows were open!

I so want to know who is playing and WHAT they are playing.

Darn, I don't know Polish!

#1382764 - 02/25/10 02:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: lilylady]
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Second that...
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1382836 - 02/25/10 04:26 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mike White]
4000 Post Club Member

It's about 3 pm here in Chicago. I have just spent the last two hours listening to astounding performances. A gentleman even played, among other pieces, the Polonaise-fantaisie in A flat. When I heard two opening three notes, my heart went in my throat.

Don't feel bad lilylday; I've done nothing at all today but brush my teeth.

I am on a cloud.

Many thanks to you, LA. We would probably never have found it.

Kathleen

#1382837 - 02/25/10 04:28 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: lilylady]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: lilylady
I am addicted and not getting much done. Hard to just keep it in the background when I wanna watch!

There have been some incredible performances. And I can so relate to the nerves that cause some others to be not as stella as they really can play.

Has anyone posted yet what piano is in the main hall? Or the one that was early EST this morning - And the weather was so nice that the windows were open!

I so want to know who is playing and WHAT they are playing.

Darn, I don't know Polish!

I feel the same way. There was a pianist- dress in all black earlier this morning(with the hanky) that was very good. He played for about 45 min? I really enjoyed watching him play. Had a certain "air" about him.

I tried to identify the piano earlier and it had a "Musial"? stencil on the side. One I am not familiar with. Perhaps it is something in Polish?

#1382870 - 02/25/10 05:17 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
(How cool........you're learning stuff from us!!) smile

Dear Mark,

And not for the last time!

So today was day 1 of the conference; some official comments to start, then some plenary papers (including a tantalizing glimpse at Chopin's annotations of a Bach WTC edition (not the one he did in Mallorca, though) in Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger's paper, and regular papers as well.

So here's a first try at a photo. The University of Warsaw unveiled a new plaque commemorating Chopin's 3 years there (1826-29) and the liberal education he received. Let's see if this works:

If it does work, I'll try to get more interesting photos as we proceed. But now, time for bed: my paper's first one up at 9 am tomorrow.

Jeff Kallberg

#1382873 - 02/25/10 05:20 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mark_C Online   content

IT WORKED! smile

BTW, Dr. K: Do you know if it's true that the "Emile Gailliard" mazurka was originally supposed to be Opus 43?

P.S. It fascinates me that these illustrious people of old must have had no idea that what would immortalize them was the pieces dedicated to them. Would we ever have heard of "Emile Gailliard," not to mention Razumovsky, Waldstein.....

Page 205 of 275 < 1 2 ... 203 204 205 206 207 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
12/19/14 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:30 AM
is it possible for me to learn piano?
by Ekik
12/19/14 12:38 AM
The New custom-modded VPC1 by RavenworksDesign!
by PianoManChuck
12/18/14 11:40 PM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159970 Topics
2349265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission