Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 206 of 275 < 1 2 ... 204 205 206 207 208 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1382901 - 02/25/10 05:52 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Here is the link Mark C. It is as you guessed, the one dedicated to Emile Gaillard his pupil and friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tsWgI7z_s

I knew Chopin was a humble guy who didn’t like putting titles against his Opus numbers, but he must have been very very humble not to put even an Opus number against this one.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1383013 - 02/25/10 09:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: custard apple]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
BTW, did you know.......(but shhhhhhh! you have to promise to keep it pretty quiet!) smile

First of 2 posts by "mystery member"

#1383041 - 02/25/10 10:36 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Props to the guy in the first row, the one with the cane, brown vest and black hat. He was sitting there when I tune in this morning, at noon, this afternoon, and still, same chair this evening. Amazing! He occasionally writes in a small black book. He is either getting paid or a huge Chopin fan!

#1383133 - 02/26/10 02:20 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
IT WORKED! smile

BTW, Dr. K: Do you know if it's true that the "Emile Gailliard" mazurka was originally supposed to be Opus 43?

P.S. It fascinates me that these illustrious people of old must have had no idea that what would immortalize them was the pieces dedicated to them. Would we ever have heard of "Emile Gailliard," not to mention Razumovsky, Waldstein.....

Dear Mark,

I don't think there's any direct evidence that the "EG" mazurka was to have been op 43: it would have been unusual for him to publish a mazurka by itself in that manner. But as a supplement to a newspaper (which is how it was published) it was not so unusual.

Off to give my paper . . .

Jeff Kallberg

#1383140 - 02/26/10 02:32 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mark_C Offline

Thanks! And of course good luck with the presentation!

I did a little more checking about the "Gaillard" mazurka (which I think I've been misspelling in all my posts) smile .....and several references seem to say that the first edition of the mazurka "erroneously" carried the opus number 43 which had already been given to the Tarentelle. I had remembered the story being that the mazurka got the number first but then it was changed.

Not that any of this matters of course. ha

But folks like me find it fascinating. smile

BTW.....Huneker's book is one of the sources that mentions (in a footnote) Op. 43 in connection with this mazurka. Not that he was necessarily always accurate......

#1383275 - 02/26/10 09:49 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Thank you, Dr.K. And I wish you success with your paper. Or maybe I'm too late. Anyhow, you are so unselfish with your time and energy, and we do so appreciate it.

I feel like a idiot, but I don't know anything about Mr. Gibbons. But I will listen to him as soon as I can take a break from this concert, which might be a while.

I am listening to it on my laptop and the speakers are not good at all. I have to plug in my earphones. I bought a el cheapo speaker, but it's exactly that - cheap and no good. Can anyone recommend a good (and relatively inexpensive) speaker that I can use for my laptop.

Wow, the man who is playing now is super. (8:45 Chicago time). BTW, does anyone know the time difference from the US to Poland (relatively)?

Has anyone noticed that there is a counter (in light gray) on the side of the screen. Mike White pointed this out to me. Close to one million have logged on so far. It should be in the numbers of people who watch "American Idol," but then what do most people think talent is? I guess screaming at the top of one's lungs qualifies. Think of the years and years and years these performers have put into their craft. I can't even imagine the sacrifices they have made to become what they are.

Has anyone noticed that they all seem to be wearing black? I hope this is not to mourn. I would think (in my little mind) that red and white would be more appropriate. thumb

Happy listening to all,
Kathleen

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (02/26/10 09:50 AM)

#1383332 - 02/26/10 11:15 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
An interesting thread with links to some fascinating articles:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1383310

Puts the concept of nonstop Chopin in a somewhat different light, I'm afraid....

I'm told that a soprano/string player from Albuquerque, Joanna Morska-Osinska, is going to play in the marathon on Monday, but I don't see her on the program. I'm trying to find out more.

The woman who was playing a moment ago was wearing a red and black dress, and the current performer is wearing a dark print. (Me, I wear black much of the time no matter what.)

I was afraid that I was severely out of it, because I had never heard of Jack Gibbons either. Sorry, Jack! Now I've looked at your website and will listen to you sometime very soon.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1383432 - 02/26/10 01:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
4000 Post Club Member

Did anyone hear the two blind students play? Unbelievable!

Off topic: I posted my "two cents" on the thread about using music for torture. I know I come off sounding like a typical old biddie. Has anyone ever considered why all old biddies sound the same? Maybe they have lived long enough to gather a bit of wisdom along the way. Just a thought.

Anyhow, after practice, I am returning to the concert. AND I have that 5 hour concert on Monday at Northwestern. Gosh, I wonder if all this classical music would amount to being tortured? What a way to go. laugh

K

#1383490 - 02/26/10 03:22 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Did anyone hear the woman singing? Magnificient. As Chopin said: Sing!!

And she did so, beautifully.

Kathleen

#1383494 - 02/26/10 03:36 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Quick! The F m concerto!!

#1383498 - 02/26/10 03:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
Quick! The F m concerto!!

Yes! I wasn't expecting that. I tuned in just in time. It sounds wonderful, even with just a string quartet. I hope they play all three movements.

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1383526 - 02/26/10 04:29 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Chopin4life]
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, they did and did and encore of the 2nd. Now I have no idea what going on?

K

#1383544 - 02/26/10 04:56 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
My Internet stopped just after the performance finished. Then I refreshed the page and they were performing the 2nd movement again. I thought something had gone wrong and it was showing something that had already happened, so I closed it until now, but it turns out it was an encore. Now, 30 mins later, someone is playing 17/4 (now 34/3).

Thank you Kathleen for clearing up that moment of confusion, but brilliance.

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1383629 - 02/26/10 07:34 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Chopin4life]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK, right now a chubby older lady is standing next to the piano in Warsaw playing a gong, a conch shell, and some singing bowls that she is using a bow on. crazy I like it, actually, but I don't know what it has to do with HIM.

And the NewsHour is showing pictures of the snow in NY, where my daughter is now living. She and I decided we shouldn't go to Poland at this time of year because it would be too cold and snowy. HA HA HA HA. Jeff said it was sunny there. He was lucky to get out of the winter wonderland of Pennsylvania, I guess.

Elene

#1383676 - 02/26/10 08:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
4000 Post Club Member

It's 3 in the morning - Saturday, right now. And someone is playing the most haunting and lovely music. Could they be some of Chopin's songs? I've never heard it before.

Elene: Every so often, some strange things happen there, but all in all I would give it a 1000% grade.

#1383705 - 02/26/10 09:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
For those of you not on FB here is the most recent mazurka posted by Jack Gibbons. It's A flat major, Op.41 no.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9x5Tqz2m0

#1383763 - 02/26/10 11:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: custard apple]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: custard apple
...mazurka posted by Jack Gibbons. It's A flat major, Op.41 no.4....

Thanks! One of my favorite of the little-known mazurkas. I've sometimes played it as an encore -- it's a little gem. It was discussed recently on another music site when someone came across it and wondered what people thought of it.

To me this mazurka seems to "speak" -- I mean as though with words, to an extent way beyond any of the other mazurkas. Not that the "text" is clear -- it's whatever your mood-of-the-moment might tell you. But whenever I hear it, or play it, I so much want to put words to it.....

#1383817 - 02/27/10 03:16 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
One of the strangest or should I say most unusual was a gentleman playing Chopin's "Fantasie" Impromptu, Op. 66 in a tango style!

Anyone else catch that?

Big bad storm hit yesterday. Trees down, wires down, electricity out.

And all I could think of is that I was missing these concerts (oh and the women's final group of figure skating) !!!

Grrrrrrr....

#1383821 - 02/27/10 03:27 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Thanks! And of course good luck with the presentation!

I did a little more checking about the "Gaillard" mazurka (which I think I've been misspelling in all my posts) smile .....and several references seem to say that the first edition of the mazurka "erroneously" carried the opus number 43 which had already been given to the Tarentelle. I had remembered the story being that the mazurka got the number first but then it was changed.

Not that any of this matters of course. ha

But folks like me find it fascinating. smile

BTW.....Huneker's book is one of the sources that mentions (in a footnote) Op. 43 in connection with this mazurka. Not that he was necessarily always accurate......

Dear Mark,

It all matters! You're right, of course (see, I told you the learning wouldn't stop). I had forgotten the misattributed opus number story.

Much to post about goings on here in tropical Warsaw (tropical compared to Philadelphia, that is), but I'm late for the morning sessions. I have some photos that I'll try to post this evening when I'm back at the hotel.

Jeff Kallberg

#1383897 - 02/27/10 09:29 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
4000 Post Club Member

I can't believe how our little thread about Chopin has progressed to the heights it has now reached. I remember times when I had to resort to post guessing games to keep it going. And now, we have so many amazing posters whose knowledge and experience and insight will continue to make it the best of the best of its kind on the Internet. My heartfelt gratitude to all of you. heart

And once again, Liszt Addict, what a gift you have provided for many of us. laugh To be able to watch and listen to this amazing concert from the comfort of our homes is well, priceless. Does anyone know just how long it will continue? Will it go through next Monday? I found out that Warsaw is 7 hours ahead of Illinois.

How did your paper go, Dr. K? What was the reaction? Anything you care to share?

K

#1383984 - 02/27/10 12:48 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

So a few photos of Warsaw to follow here.

First, a view yesterday morning (foggy) of the Holy Cross Church, where (of course) FC's heart lies:

Jeff Kallberg

#1383985 - 02/27/10 12:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Next, the old library building at the University of Warsaw, where our congress is taking place. You-know-who featured prominently on the facade:

Jeff Kallberg

#1383988 - 02/27/10 12:52 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Finally, a poster for a nice little exhibit at the Congress, "Traces of Chopin at the University of Warsaw". Many such small events around town:

My paper went well; thanks for asking. I'll do a separate post on the congress at some point, but now off to tonight's concert (concertos played by Demidenko and Kissin), and thence to a late (but undoubtedly great) dinner, with some splendid smalec to start.

Jeff Kallberg

#1383993 - 02/27/10 01:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
I can't believe how our little thread about Chopin has progressed to the heights it has now reached.....

Yes indeed. smile

#1383997 - 02/27/10 01:08 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Dear Jeff K, I can't thank you enough for sharing these superb photographs with us. It brings a real taste of Poland to the 'Devoted' thread.

#1384009 - 02/27/10 01:24 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeff, thanks for the pictures!

You asked where the marathon concert was-- it is taking place at the headquarters of Wspólnota Polska. The address is Krakowskie Przedmiescie 64, and there is a map on the site. The home page is http://najdluzszeurodziny.pl/.

They just finished a performance of the cello sonata. Last night (my time) someone performed a string of mazurkas, wonderfully, then broke into a highly competent and interesting jazz version of one of them (I can't remember which). Then he did two completely different, very involved, jazz improvisations on the Fantaisie-Impromptu, which didn't work quite as well but were still worthwhile, wrapping up with part of the mazurka again and tying it all together. There have been some awesome jazz folks.

I need to practice....

Elene

#1384048 - 02/27/10 02:25 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I listened to the piano tuner while doing my yoga this morning.

#1384148 - 02/27/10 05:32 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Among the professionals, who do you think is the best Chopin interpreter? I'd like to buy some MP3's to add to my classical music collection. smile

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1384168 - 02/27/10 05:53 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: CebuKid]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CebuKid
Among the professionals, who do you think is the best Chopin interpreter? I'd like to buy some MP3's to add to my classical music collection. smile

Krystian Zimerman, Yundi Li are the first two that comes to my mind. But can never go wrong with Horowitz, Barenboim, Rubenstien.

btw, Thanks for the comment on youtube =)

Edited by Rui725 (02/27/10 05:54 PM)

#1384176 - 02/27/10 06:07 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Rui725]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Dinu Lipatti for the waltzes

Page 206 of 275 < 1 2 ... 204 205 206 207 208 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 53 invisible), 1422 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309614 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission