2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 242 of 425 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 424 425
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There are still a few small things I need to improve on, but tough comments are welcome. laugh
http://www.box.net/shared/bkzk91zxzx

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LisztAddict, that is sure a long and involved piece to be able to record so accurately! What an accomplishment! Some of it is a little bumpy, but I'm sure it will continue to smooth out. Your interpretation seems spot-on; you seem to understand the piece perfectly. I'm not all that crazy about this scherzo, but you've made me like it better.

Elene

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
LisztAddict, wonderful job on that Scherzo! It was even better than your playing of it at the competition (which I thought was great, but you were highly critical of yourself). I'm afraid I'm not one to give "tough comments", though, as I don't listen to the Scherzos an awful lot, and needless to say have never tried to play one. So I'm not the best critic.
I was slow to appreciate the Scherzos for awhile, but Angela Lear's renditions and now yours of this particular one have made me like them more. Somehow I can imagine all the fun that Chopin must have had, composing and playing these.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I HOPE Chopin at least sometimes had fun composing, but I wonder if he did? It seems like it was often an ordeal for him. I bet playing was mostly fun, though.

Elene

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
It seems that getting it all down on paper in some kind of permanent form was the arduous part for him. Now if he only could have had a computer and that notation software.....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My impression is that the worst part for him was trying to decide on just one way to play something so that it could be written down.

Elene

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Imagine all the erasers he went through?? laugh

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
No erasers just a lot of ink. According to George Sand he broke a lot of pens. He was also very very good at obliterating what he wanted to strike out, heavy ink, a lot of crosshatches. Very thorough. It's sometimes impossible to make out what he'd originally written.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Was Chopin born in a small village Zelazowa Wola? about 50-60 km west from Warsaw?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, and Zelazowa Wola means "Iron Will," which I think suits. I didn't realize it was that far from Warsaw.

It's a humongous tourist attraction. Are you going, LA?

(Oh, and besides notation software, Chopin also needed a MIDI keyboard, so that he could just freely improvise and have the computer write it all down. But can those programs handle 5 against 4, 29 against 6, etc. etc., all his kind of wild rhythmic constructions?)

Elene

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene
It's a humongous tourist attraction. Are you going, LA?

Yes, I am thinking of going there. But I need to figure out when and how.

elene and cscl: I've followed your posts of Chopin's Waltz in A Minor (cscl: I was sooo impressed by your playing) and was very much enlightened about the triplet and quintuplet in measure 21. I talked with my teacher (who trained in Taiwan with the symphony) and she agreed with the accelerating quintuplet as a path to get to the target of the high B.

I also was very interested in elene's advice to think of the two chords a seperate from the first bass note and am now practicing that way at two different volumes. My question for anybody: I am having a great deal of difficulty hitting the chord softly especially in the beginning measures when everything is supposed to be soft. If I hit it too softly, I end up with one note not coming through or coming through a hair late. Should I keep my left had rigid? Or is there a set of practices that I can do? No matter what I try those chords just seem to boom out, especially on my teacher's grand piano. Any hints/advice/practice/techniques would be gratefully received.

C
C
Thanks for the comments Susan K.

I can also report that I played this op. posth. Waltz in a minor at a recent competition, one that pits contestants from children to adults against people their own age with similar time in lessons. I played decently (better than I did last year in the same competition and with fewer nerves), but still with more than a few flaws, but I got second place (out of 3 adults! smile Better than last year when I got second place out of two adults! smile ).

I still play the piece to keep working on it nearly daily.

Susan K., if it so happens that you consider the left hand in my recording to be somewhat soft, then I can tell you what I do (but I still think I'm working on a softer left hand). I think the softness can only come when you are comfortable with the jumps, both in terms of covering the distance and in terms of getting your fingers on the right notes when you land. It's also my understanding that you might want to be a bit louder on that first note. In a waltz, you definitely don't want to lose that first note. I don't keep my hand rigid though. Now, that I'm comfortable with the hand positions and the jumps, I think of landing softly on the keys to keep the chords softer. Maybe I should do a new recording and see how it compares.

You could also try different pedaling. I was originally working on changing the pedal at the beginning of each measure and again on beat 3. To simplify things and to make sure I was ready for recital and competition, my teacher encouraged me to go with the simpler pedaling, but I do think a 3rd beat pump on the pedal would take down some of the left hand loudness.

That's what I've got to offer! Hope it helps.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
C
C
After the op. posth. Waltz in a minor, I'm now on to my second Chopin piece, the A major prelude (Op. 28, No. 7)!

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Susan K - playing soft and fast is very difficult. So first, you strike just one chord. Try again and see how soft you can play that chord without losing sound of any note. When you can't play any softer, you know that's the softest you can play. Now try to play the chord repetitively but a bit faster and still play just as soft. Then add more notes around that as you progress.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is another piece I have on the program. Please feel free to criticize.

http://www.box.net/shared/v58lisdb69

cscl and LisztAddict! Thanks so much. I will practice following both of your advice. I knew that I wasn't getting anywhere with how I was practicing. So I will just focus on trying to make a single chord as soft as I can. Then, I will practice the jumps. (I try to keep my eyes closed to train on the jumps, so I can get a distance feel for them without having to always look.)

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi all - I've been lurking in the shadows here for weeks, so I hope you don't mind if I join the party. I've been a huge Chopin fan my entire life and have played many of the smaller works. Of all the composers, I find I feel most connected to his music. I think he transformed the way the world viewed keyboard music. He was a visionary and a master. But all of you already know that, of course!

I have been very impressed by your collective knowledge while reading this thread. I've learned so much about his life and music, and I've enjoyed your beautiful recordings. What a talented bunch!

You have inspired me to learn some additional pieces. I've also decided to host a 200th birthday party at my house with a little recital and a group of fellow players. So thank you for your inspiration. I look forward to joining the discussions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Susan K.,

The Taubman way of thinking about a waltz bass is that bass-chord-chord goes down-up-up. That is, your arm and hand move downward on the bass note, then upward on the chords, which helps you to get the balance of volume that you want. Of course, you are always making a downward motion in order to play a note at all, but think of your hand going up and sort of pulling the sound out of the keys. (It would be easier to show you than to describe this....)

At the same time, you need to have all the fingers that are involved with playing the chords in touch with the tops of the keys when you begin to play, and all equally in touch if you want all the notes to sound equally. (If you want to bring certain notes of the chords out, then the feel will be a little different.) Start by feeling the shape of the chord under your fingers, as a shape rather than as individual notes. Allow the weight of your arm to fall into the keys and notice what it's like to have all the keys going down equally.

Whatever you do, don't make your left hand or any other part of you rigid! Firm is good in the hand, rigid isn't. There needs to be elasticity through the whole mechanism (supple "down to your toes," as Chopin put it).

There is SO much more to be said about this, and trying to talk about it in print is very challenging!

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LisztAddict
Thank you so much for listening. Here is another piece I posted 3 years ago in the ABF recital, but this is a recent recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/27hfrx4tpm

Thanks LA!

ah, yes! ...the 48.1 and 27.2 Nocturnes; probably the two Chopin compositions I love most of all, and the two I would most dearly love to play. Along with Kathleen and others I did wade into the 48.1 a year or so ago but, regrettably, never progressed beyond the Lento. Those monster chords in the Poco Piu Lento brought me to a grinding halt! However, when I've finished with my current challenge (Schubert Impromptu Op 90 No 3) I plan to revisit either the 48.1 or the sublime 27.2

... fancy another challenge, Katheen? How about the 27.2 this time? smile

Thanks again LA for your wonderful, inspirational playing.

Michael
Page 242 of 425 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission