2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 134 of 425 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Gerg and Frycek:

While none of Chopin's music is "easy," there are many pieces that are not that "difficult." You already mentioned the preludes. But these are at the grade #4 level.

One of the fascinating and wonderous aspects of Chopin's music is that it fits so beautifully "under the hands." I never understood what this meant and even questioned it. However, as I play more of his music (even the 17th prelude), I've come to appreciate what this means. There is no wasted effort; everything fits! It just seems so logical, but I admit, it takes time to notice and realize this.

So while his music isn't as basic as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," I doubt if he set out to compose only difficult music. He just composed what he felt, what was in his heart. And we have to assume from his music, that he was a very complex and deeply emotional person (albeit not outwardly).

But, as many have stated, the melody line of his music is so lovely. It can be sung and hummed and could fall into that "childlike" category.

The polonaise that he composed when he was just seven is considered "simple," by the experts. Yet, I haven't attempted it yet. It doesn't do much for my ego, knowing it was composed by a child, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet. However, I just might attempt it now.

Oh, he also loved dogs.

I often wish that Chopin could have fathered a child. I know he would have made a wonderful parent...kind, loving, supportive and patient. Just what he received from his own parents.

Regards to all,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Here is an email I got about an upcoming event sponsored by our Chopin Society. I'm going and taking my three boys, so I hope it will be good. I think it sounds great!

Nancy

Atlanta Chopin Society announces:

Piotr Folkert - piano
John Lemley -narration

Sunday, September 30, 2007
7:00 pm
Roswell Cultural Arts Center

On Sunday, September 30, 2007, Holy Redeemer Catholic School will hold benefit concert featuring Piotr Folkert , an internationally recognized classical concert pianist and recording artist at the Roswell Cultural Arts Center . This concert will feature works of Chopin, Bach, Mozart, and Gershwin. It will be narrated by WABE Public Radio’s personality, John Lemley. The narration provides a deep knowledge of the composer’s life in the form of letters, anecdotes and historical facts. This unique combination of music and historical background has tremendous educational value and is sure to delight those new to classical music as well as the seasoned classical patron.

…about Piotr Folkert :

“He is stunning virtuoso with stellar technique. Full of tenderness, passion, joy, sorrow and singing style that made the music come to life, Folkert showed the stuff that the world-class pianists are made of”.
The State Journal, Springfield , Illinois

Ticket information:

All seats are reserved and may be purchased at: www.HRfinearts.org

VIP tickets: $50 – a limited number of premium reserved seats and admission to a complimentary cocktail reception with Mr. Folkert and Mr. Lemley
General admission: $25
Students and Senior Citizens: $20

Excerpts from narration:

Warsaw , 1818

At the age of eight, in Warsaw , Chopin made his formal debut as a pianist and caused a sensation. When asked by his mother, who had been prevented by illness from attending, what the audience liked the best, the little boy replied: “My English collar, mama”.

Paris , 1832
“I have found my way into the very best society: I have my place among ambassadors, princes, ministers - I don’t know by what miracle it has come about, for I have done nothing to push myself forward. It is a necessary thing for me, because good taste is supposed to depend on it. At once you have a greater talent if you have been heard at the English or Austrian embassy. You play better if the Princesse de Vaudemont was you protector- I can’t say is, because the elderly lady died a week ago”.
Fryderyk Chopin

“There is nothing so remarkable about it” Johann Sebastian Bach is believed to have said about playing the organ. ”All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time, and the instrument plays itself”.

Estonia 168
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I know this site is dedicated to Chopin, but I also know that many of us have a soft spot in our hearts for Hershey Felder. I think my spot is especially soft because of his generosity and many kindnesses to me. So, if you don’t mind (and even if you do), I would like to write a critique of the his performance of “Gershwin Alone,” which I attended last evening.

[Linked Image]

I am not a critic, and it is obvious that I am very biased in my opinion of him. But, nonetheless, here it is:

With the exception of M. Chopin, I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything like it. I was sitting in the very first row, and I didn’t mind the stiff neck I was getting because he was nothing short of fantastic. I have his CD of “Gershwin Alone” and have played it at least 100 times, but seeing him in person and close up was magical.

That he can play the piano…can he ever play that Steinway!! His rendition of “Rhapsody in Blue” was spell-binding and left me breathless. He incorporated the orchestra part in the piece, and it just knocks your socks off. My niece remarked that his hands blurred during the performance, and I believe it!

For those who aren’t familiar with “Gershwin Alone,” Hershey IS George Gershwin in his one-man musical play. He speaks to the audience, telling them of his early years as a street kid, and how his whole life turned around when he heard someone playing the violin. From that moment, he was determined to learn more about music, and eventually he received lessons on the piano. The rest is history.

Just a few of the songs he created with his brother Ira…Summertime, Someone To Watch Over Me, Embrace Me, The Man I Love (a hilarious story as an aside with this one), Porgy and Bess, An American in Paris, and, course, of the Rhapsody. All during his story, he sits at the piano and plays so many of these gems. How he can talk and play at the same time is absolutely amazing to me. But he does, and he does so, wonderfully.

And his voice! He once wrote on the forum that he didn’t have one. Well, that’s just not true. Boy, can he belt out a song, as he proved when singing as Al Jolson and Ethel Merman. And then turn around and sing in his “normal voice,” that is just so expressive and tender.

He also relates memories of his mother and father and then his failures and successes and disappointments. Throughout there is humor and pathos. One cannot help but become so wrapped up in his story because Hershey possess that rare quality that makes you believe he IS Gershwin. Even though I KNEW he was Hershey Felder, that feeling just disappeared about 2 minutes into the play.

Afterwards, he becomes himself and asks the audience to call out songs that they would like to sing. Now he was Hershey Felder…the genuine article. Just like Chopin…no one else quite like him. He radiated warmth and humor and was actually quite impressed with the solos that a few people from the audience sang. This is a wonderful part of the play. Some might call it a sing-a-long, and that’s just what it was. And it was fun!

It was over in 90 minutes (no intermissions)…no wonder he gets so exhausted. I wished it would have gone on another 90 minutes. He must have had some where to go after the play because he wasn’t there to meet and greet people afterwards, as he usually does. I was a bit disappointed, but I could certainly understand that his time is limited in many cases.

In closing, I can only beg that if you get the opportunity to see Hershey in “Gershwin Alone,” please, please treat yourself to an unforgettable and very moving experience. You can then send me an e-mail thanking me for recommending it. smile

Regards to all, and a very special “thank you” to Hershey, heart

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kathleen - thanks so much for the comprehensive account of "Gershwin Alone". I can tell even from just the pictures that Hershey makes a very very good Gershwin. But I am confused as I thought he was still playing M. Chopin!

Nancy - many thanks to you, too, for telling us about the Chopin event you are going to. I hope you'll really enjoy it and tell us about it afterwards.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
In my haste to post my critique before I forgot everyting, I neglected to respond to Nancy. I want to add my thanks to MaryRose's. It sounds like a wonderful concert, and how super that you are taking your three boys. I know they all play the piano. How proud you must be of them. thumb

MaryRose: Hershey is finished with his CA run of both Chopin and Gershwin. How very fortunate that he appeared in my "neck of the woods" last night, in a suburb north of Chicago and about 70 miles from my home. It was just a one-nighter. From here he goes to Arizona to both Tucson and Phoenix.

In the back of the program we received, there was a page where Hershey responded to some questions from his audiences. I think we all would find the first one interesting. Not to say the others aren't great, but, oh well....

Question: If you could meet (or perform with) any one musician (composer of performer) from history, who would it be?

Answer: This would have to be pianist-composer Fryderyk Chopin. The elegance, simplicity, honesty, directness, yet dreamlike otherwordly quality of his playing as reported by those who heard him, is the kind of magic I would like to experience. Then, of course, I would want to try and understand what exactly it is both in terms of gift and craft that allows an artist and in particular this artist to communicate so directly to the spirit of another huma being through sound, with such poise and focus at the keyboard. I would want to be as close as possible to an artist who has the capacity to be completely at one with art and creation.

wow I think Hershey stole the words right out of my mouth...if only I were as articulate. :rolleyes:

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
That is beautifully put, Kathleen. Thank you so much for letting us know.

(Did Hershey seem well? Do you think he's remembering to eat enough vitamins?)

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi MaryRose: Hershey looked great! He appeared well-rested and so completely at ease with what he was doing. Of course, we know that he has performed Gershwin well over 3,000 times. But he made it seem like the very "first" performance, minus, of course, any nervousness.

He changed a few things from the CD. I think he was less loud and brassy, which I liked because he made Gershwin a more likeable person, more sympathic. But yet, Gershwin's ego was there in full force, as it should be.

As far as vitamins, I don't know. But another one of the questions asked by the audience was "What is your favorite food to snack on?"

He answered: "Anything bad for me. But that's only a dream. If I follow through, I can't get into the costume. And if I can't get into the costume, there is no performance...."

It would seem to me that the way he works, all those performances in one week...that he would be burning off enough calories to allow him to eat whatever and whenever he wants in any quantity he chose. Playing the "Rhapsody in Blue" alone, HAS to be worth about 5,000! Somehow it doesn't seem fair that after providing so much enjoyment for so many people, he can't allow himself a hot fudge sundae once in a while. mad

Less you all think Kathleen has become a groupie for Hershey, I changed my avatar to Hershey's Chopin because I wanted to give our hero some elegance and class. I think this pic (although very small) serves this purpose very well.

Kathleen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for posting that, Kathleen. I so much want to go to one of Herhey's shows. I think if he doesn't come to the south soon, I will just have to find a cheap flight to wherever he is.

Nancy

Estonia 168
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone,

I've not been around regularly, so I guess I've got a ton of catching-up to do!

Today I was sitting in work listening to a classical 'piano mixture cd' that came free on a magazine. On came an absolutely stunning piece of music that was so delicate and moving.

I checked to see the track listing and it was 'Larghetto' from Chopin's Piano Concerto No.1. I think I've heard it before, but it never sounded so beautiful as today!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That's one thing I'm learning.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Nancy: I think you just might have to do that, but I promise you, it will be well worth the price of the airline ticket. Is Cleveland too far for you? He is appearing there in January. However, we don't know what his 2007-2008 schedule is yet, so hold on. Who knows that he might just be appearing in your backyard. smile After all, you do have a Chopin Society in your city, which (to my surprise and shock) Chicago does not. I wonder what's involved in starting one?? :rolleyes:

Euan: We have missed you. So happy to see your post. As far as Chopin's concerto's, they are the only two pieces of music that I have been playing on my car tape player for, at least, 5 years. I never, never, ever tire of listening to them. The beauty (heart-breaking at times) often moves me to tears. Even after hearing them hundreds of times, I believe they are absolutely breath-taking and can stand up to the best of other concertos by other composers...and in many, many cases, they surpass!! Why don't they get the credit they deserve? I know it all has to do with the orchestra part being on the weak side, but so what! The piano is king in a piano concerto, not the orchestra. If people want orchestra, they should listen to a symphony. There are sections in both of these concertos where the piano is so powerful that it raises to the heavens, and I am almost sure that God, himself, wrote it. (Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone. It's just how I feel.) I am always overwhelmed!! Please write again and soon.

Frycek: Sorry, what are you learning? About the concertos or the greased Scotsman? laugh

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Me Again:

THIS IS BOTH AN OPEN APOLOGY AND A HUGE THANK-YOU NOTE TO LISZT ADDICT:

I know I have been going on and on about Hershey. But that's because I have had the opportunity to see him perform twice, and, of course, he has taken our hero out there, all around the world, for all to see and hear and love. And, we all feel as if we know him fairly well, for when he has the time to post, he is not only so informative but also so interesting and fun.

However, we have our very, very own resident super-hero right here on the Piano Forum and on a very regular basis. He is Liszt Addict!

There is no question in my mind that he is a pro! He plays like an angel, and he has (so many, many times) given so many of us, wonderful advice, very specific, at times. We don't know much about him, for he is a private person...but that's OK. We do know that he is an extremely determined person, for he has told us that at the age of 13, after he heard a Chopin prelude, he set out to learn all 24, and he did...in just a year. wow He has shared with us his participation in a recent piano competition in Washington, and he often posts his recordings, which I, for one, can only marvel at. That he is an inspiration to many of us goes without saying...nope, make that, goes WITH saying.

So dear man, (and I hope you read this), I want to thank you (and I know I speak for so many others) for all you have been to this forum and for all you are, one very, very special person.

Our deepest gratitude, 3hearts
Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

Frycek: Sorry, what are you learning? About the concertos or the greased Scotsman? laugh

Kathleen
Greased Scotsmen

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

I might know a few more little things about playing piano than you do, but I am just another guy in the group here. laugh But Hershey is Chopin/Gershwin/Beethoven. I hope he will play Liszt one day and somewhere in the southeastern part of USA. wink

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I do too, just for you!

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Euan - so good to see you back. I hope you're happy in your new home.

LisztAddict - I second Kathleen's thanks, and agree with you that Hershey would look the part as Liszt, but I don't think it's going to happen. I think he always planned the contrasting trio he is performing to such acclaim now.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Calling everybody who loves Chopin (LisztAddict is not to read this post laugh ):

Have you done the PianoWorld "favourite composer" poll? And the "favourite pianist" one too? Don't forget! Chopin is second at the moment. You can find it here .

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Keats???!!! Monet???!!!

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hmmmm...that Beethoven is beating out our hero in both the composer and pianist categories. Not that I think Chopin is second to anyone, but I guess I can understand the popularity of Beethoven. He was pretty good! laugh

You are right, MaryRose. I doubt if Hershey is entertaining any thoughts of doing Liszt.

Actually, this is fairly interesting, at least I thought it so.

Hershey, through his trilogy is actually creating a sonata, from what I have heard him say.

But he started backwards...and I hope he will answer why someday when he pops in. (Never mind, I know why.)

The following is taken from the program I received...and was written by Hersey, himself.

"The sonata is a pretty complicated piece of music, and Hershey has even made it an even more complicated theatrical piece.

In music, the sonata consists of three movements. The first movement in generally in "sonata form," which is a highly structured work that begins with a thematic musical statement. This is then followed by a secondary theme, a "working out" section, a return of the themes, further development and, finally, a rounding out--a coda. First movements are genrally dramatic, architectural, deeply thoughtful, and emotional. This is 'Beethoven, As I Knew Him.' (My note: So from what I gather, the first movement of a sonata is a sonata in itself. So complicated.)

"The second movement of a sonata is traditionally a 'Romanza' of sorts--a lush expression of the soul. This is 'Monsieur Chopin.'

Finally, the last movement of the traditional sonata is generally dance-like, straightforward, extroverted and joyous, though still in some way thematically related to the previous two movements. This is 'Gershwin Alone'--which in a lighter and simpler way harkens back to the themes of both of its predecessors."

After reading what Hershey wrote, I am beginning to think that he is more that just wonderfully talented young man, he is a genius. Who else could have come up with such an idea? I think it's pretty brilliant, as is he.

I hope to be able to see the "Beethoven" next year or whenever it comes to my area. Like Nancy said, I may have to hop on a plane if not.

Vote for hero. It would be so super if he beat out Beethoven! yippie

Regards,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I found this super peformance (IMO) of Horowitz playing "our" nocturne...the 55.1 on you-tube.

Horowitz Playing the 55.1

Some of us regulars were in that study group. Boy, I'm glad I gave up at that very last section, I could have never have played it...then. Now, maybe I'll take another look. :p

P.S. I do have a life outside the forum just in case anyone of you are wondering what the heck is going on with me today. I just practiced about 4 hours. Dishes are piled in the sink and the laundry has been in the dryer for 2 days, but I am a happy camper. A little dizzy, but happy! laugh

Kathleen

Page 134 of 425 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission