2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 267 of 425 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 424 425
C
C
Sorry for the confusion.

I am indeed talking about the Posthumous Nocturne c-sharp minor. The one in "The Pianist" film. It doesn't sound that difficult and it's not played so fast... I know it's ridicilous to hear something like this from a beginner, but the notes does not seem sooo hard.

Anyways thanks for the answers. If i ever get the permission to start on it, I'll let you know about my development on the Nocturne.

C
C
Originally Posted by Curious223
I know it's ridicilous to hear something like this from a beginner, but the notes does not seem sooo hard.

That may be true, but it makes up for it with interpretation and control. Welcome and I hope you'll be able to learn it soon.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome! (Even though I'm new too.) smile
The way you put that part about "Russian teachers" is pretty funny, because it's such a stereotype but it's usually true.

It's hard to say "how long" it would take to learn that posthumous C# minor nocturne. It depends on how much the person practices, plus of course on other things about the individual.
And of course it depends on what we mean by "learning" -- do we mean just being able to play through it, or something more?

But nevertheless smile I'll give a time frame: I'd say a month.

Thanks for the good wishes! About Huneker.....yes, it's clear that he loved Chopin, but it seems that he loved his own writing even more. smile

And I don't hold that much against him. There's a certain charm about style of writing, plus I think there's a contagious enthusiasm about seeing almost anything that the person himself is so much into, whether it's writing, piano playing, dancing, or really almost anything.

P.S. I see that you have a Lyon & Healy piano......you might be interested in this other thread where someone asked what's the brand of a particular piano. I guessed L & H; nobody else thinks so. smile
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...cognize%20mark%20of%20p.html#Post1303321

Wow -- great get on Huneker's Joseffy obit. I just flashed on it and see that it's LONG, so I bookmarked it and I'll read it later.
Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by sotto voce

p.s. Eleanor Bailie ranks the posthumous Nocturne in c-sharp minor as Grade 7.

BTW......I'm not at all familiar with this "grading" thing.
How high does the scale go?
What would something like the Mephisto Waltz grade at?
(I don't want you to look anything up, just to give me some idea off the top of your head.)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mephisto Waltz would probably by "diploma level." Eleanor Bailie has a pianist guide to Chopin's solo works and she uses the ABRM grade levels - the lowest of any Chopin pieces is a prelude (I think 10/4 ?) that's a grade 4 going on up to "Very Advanced" - to clarify - most of the etudes are considered Grade 8 or Grade 8+ or Very Advanced. Most of Chopin is grade 7 up and up and up.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Huh.........so, that nocturne is JUST 1 LEVEL below the etudes?
Hmmmmm. smile
Sounds like the scale isn't very broad.
I would say there are several levels separating the two.
But maybe I'm a hair-splitter.

C
C
Originally Posted by -Frycek
the lowest of any Chopin pieces is a prelude (I think 10/4 ?)

I think you mean 28/4. 10/4 certainly isn't easy wink

Originally Posted by MarkCannon
Huh.........so, that nocturne is JUST 1 LEVEL below the etudes?
Hmmmmm. smile
Sounds like the scale isn't very broad.
I would say there are several levels separating the two.
But maybe I'm a hair-splitter.

I think, because 8+ and, especially, "very advanced" have no upper limit of difficulty,the difference in difficult levels can often seem less than they actually are. It can be anything from an 'easier' Chopin etude all the way to Rach 3. This is, of course, not considering what different people find difficult. For grade 8, I'm less sure, but I assume there is quite a large leap between grade 7 and 8?

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'm home now. I have my book at hand, the name of it is The Pianist's Repertoire Chopin by Eleanor Bailie. There's a pretty big gap betweem grade 7 and grade 8 and only the easiest etudes (three of twenty-seven) are listed as Grade 8, six more are listed as 8+ and the rest (eighteen of them) are listed as (shudder) Very Advanced. I can handle Grade 8, and 8+ with some trepidation but once one hits Very Advanced, one enters a no man's land. The harder etudes are literally "off the chart." So, you see, there can be quite a gap in difficulty between a grade 7 nocturne and the majority of the etudes.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopin4life
I think you mean 28/4. 10/4 certainly isn't easy wink

I did. (sheepish look) Good spotting.

[Linked Image]
I guess the reason there can be such a huge gap between levels 7 and 8 (and 8+) is that once it's above "7," it's basically just "very advanced," and there's no need for such a scale because it's a whole different realm. Kind of like, above 7 is "off the scale," and above that level, pianists can essentially pick whatever they want and they'll fare pretty well.

The psychotic analogy that occurs to me smile is in WATER SKIING, when we "cross the wake." (Don't try to make any sense of that, I said it was nuts.) ha

Maybe here's a saner analogy: In some piano competitions there's a numerical system for advancing contestants to each next round but no such scale for judging the finals -- the judges just "discuss."

P.S. I didn't even notice that the other post said "Opus 10" for the prelude; I read it as though it had said Op. 28.
Sometimes our minds just automatically fill in the blanks.....

(see above post for my 'theory' on why there can be such a gap between 7 and 8......)

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I only know that I have and would attempt to learn a 7, but I would definitely give some serious thought to tackling an 8 again. help

Steven: That lovely C#m posth, NO, 20, nocturne is indeed a 7. Since the posth was omitted, I thought she was referring to the 27, #1. However, the runs are killers if one doesn't have any experience playing them. That's why scales are good practice. I say this with a guilty heart, since I haven't played them in many decades.

MarkCannon: When you do practice, dear heart?? smile

My Lyon and Healy has a lion inside. (Yes, a real one. eek It actually growls whenever I sit down to play. That's why I keep the top down.) I believe my piano tuner said that all their pianos had this trademark, somewhere.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
LOL.......I guess you mean because I've been on here like continuously? eek
I'm new here and just can't get enough of it. And, truth be known, I've hardly been to the piano in these two days.
Presumably that will change. smile

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Mark,

Eleanor Bailie makes clear in her book that her ratings are intended to encompass the works by Chopin that are within the reach of most pianists. She explains that her strategy was dictated by the need to avoid overwhelming length—the book is over 500 pages as it is—and by the recognition that the most advanced pianists are probably in least need of the sort of practice/performance guidance she provides. The practical result is that, while virtually all of Chopin's works in all categories receive some treatment, she goes into far less detail with those rated "VA" (Very Advanced).

Like you, I'm broadly unfamiliar with rating scales. They're arbitrary, and different sources offer different ones; of course, in the U.S. we don't have a national board to establish curriculum or grade levels, either.

Also, it's not uncommon for such categorizations to be skewed toward repertoire that reaches a moderately advanced level but not beyond, probably because relatively few people have virtuoso skills. A good example of that bias is this chart at Sheet Music Plus:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/help/level-guidelines

It has ten levels, and representative compositions at the highest level are the Brahms Rhapsodies! Is as though they completely lopped off all genuinely advanced music, and then redistributed the scale amongst the lower ranks of difficulty.

Steven

YES! -- This part of what you said is exactly what I was thinking and what I tried to express: "......the recognition that the most advanced pianists are probably in least need of the sort of practice/performance guidance she provides."

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
MarkCannon: When you do practice, dear heart?? smile

I think he only practices just before a competition. laugh

Is my playing THAT bad? ha

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
or you are just way too good! ha smile

Page 267 of 425 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission