2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 132 of 425 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 424 425
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Glad things worked out well with your computer, Kathleen! I was worried for a while there. As for Kallberg's article, I actually find his manner of writing so opaque that I tend to glaze over. I'm sorry not to have any inspiration to offer frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
maryrose,
indeed, opaque verging into black hole level of density! smile we'll have to find inspiration elsewhere, I think!

Kathleen,
hope you and your husband are holding up well. Hang in there and take care. Sending good thoughts your way.
2hearts

Sophia

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you both...

for your kind wishes about my husband. He will be staying home, starting next week. OMG, I will have to practice with him listening. But, luckily, my piano is so muted (for a grand, really strange) that you can barely hear it in the family room, which is just a wall away. Well, at least it will help rid me somewhat of my performance anxiety.

and, secondly, for easing my mind. I thought I was a little dense in that I had a hard time understanding Dr. Kallberg's paper. I know it's a scholarly article, and I know I'm not too scholarly. But still, I thought I did have some smarts. But his paper left him thinking that I was losing it. So... thumb

Well, on to find another "topic" to discuss.

BTW, My computer is working so well. smile I can't believe I did such a dumb thing as to cover the bottom with foam rubber. eek

I am going to be creating a few fancy invites for the "one" for the Chopin Concert. I would like to pass them by you all for your input. I will be using PrintShop 20, which isn't the most sophiscated graphics program, but it's all I have.

Cheers,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good Morning All:

Nothing to "discuss" today. I've been working on invites so haven't had time to be "creative" topic-wise.

I'll be in touch.

Regards to all,
Kathleen

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with Kathleen about Chopin not participating in what-is-called 'human expression', but he rather expressed himself.

But which composers do you think voluntarily wanted to aid in such 'contribution to human expression'?

Bach and Beethoven maybe?? What do you think?

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Bassio:

Not knowing too much about Bach, I think both of them were concerned about the idea of contributing to the whole "human expression," thing, although I must admit I am not quite sure what that means in concrete terms. Did they want their music to be more than just music? Something abstract, perhaps? I don't have a clue.

I do know that Bach was very religious and everything he composed, he offered up to God. As far as Beethoven, I'm pretty sure he DIDN'T offer his music to God. He was quite mad with Him most of the time.

Thank you, Bassio. It's good hearing from you again. Hope you are well and happy.

Kathlee

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, there is one line in that awful Copying Beethoven movie I did like, when Beethoven exclaimed, "God whispers to most people, he shouts at me!"

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, Frycek....I do seem to recall that line. So I wonder if he was giving God some credit for his genius. I doubt it, don't you? But I certainly could be wrong.

Does anyone know the religious beliefs of Beethoven? I know he was supposed to shake his fist at him right before he died. This, of course, could just be a rumor.

My sister loved that movie because of the young woman's compassion for him. That she so admired his genius, she was willing to put up with all his terrible behavior and put-downs. Through this young woman, we did get a glimpse of his human side a bit. But at the end, where she is conducting the orchestra and he is following her hand gestures was so ridiculous, I had to laugh. If they would have left that part out, I think the movie did have some merit. Ed Harris did a super job playing Beethoven. I think he had him down almost perfectly, in my opinion.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I still can't imagine Hershey "being" Beethoven! Chopin, yes. Gershwin, very much so. Liszt - definitely. But a stocky fifty-year-old? Tricky.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
We all know how creative Hershey is.

I think he can do just about anything he sets his mind to. And I do believe I read somewhere that he was going to use "something" to heft himself up a bit. He certainly has no intention of gaining weight for the role, for right after his Beethoven closes, he starts a run of Chopin.

What I find interesting is how he can separate himself from these people and just be Hershey. One would think something of the characters would rub off on him, at least for an hour or two.

I wonder if this has ever happened. If he's around, I hope he answers. Hi Hersh:

Kathleen

H
H
Stocky 50 year old??? I WAS BORN THAT WAY!!! smile smile

Actually, the wonderful part of acting is to be able to create these characters, and do this kind of thing... and with all the theatrical trickery available to me, it should be fun... also the script does a good deal of work for me...it leads me in the correct direction. But truth is, I hope it is as interesting as the fun I am having with it.

As for me - I am back in Paris for but a week (I can breathe here - I so love it...) But alas, must head back to the US real soon... anyway...

Miss you all, trying some R & R and a little Bach preludes and fugues for the weak. Good for my health!

HUGS. H

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hershey88:
Miss you all, trying some R & R and a little Bach preludes and fugues for the weak. Good for my health!

HUGS. H
And who does this remind us of?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
What? confused confused R and R...as in rock n' roll?? laugh

Kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
(I posted this recital program to a separate thread in the Pianist Corner thinking more people would see it, but now realize that the opposite is probably true.)

From a performance by the Andrzej Jagodziński Trio in Washington, D.C. last spring:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
This is really something, Sotto Voce. I'd be very curious to hear some of it although, I must confess, a bit afraid also.

But I think it's great that these people have taken the must beautiful music in the world and have "experimented" with it. I remember Peyton doing a super improv of the Spring Song, which I thought was beautiful. So....I guess I have to keep an open mind.

Thanks for posting this.

Kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
This is really something, Sotto Voce. I'd be very curious to hear some of it although, I must confess, a bit afraid also.
I believe that Ragnhild mentioned their videos in that other thread.

I share your trepidation, Kathleen! That, plus sheer lack of time, has prevented me from even thinking about searching You Tube for anything by these guys.

Steven

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Sotto Voce:
...sheer lack of time has prevented me from even thinking about searching You Tube for anything by these guys.

Steven
I find that when I am busy I like to waste time doing things like searching on You Tube (alas) so I did. There's only one thing by Jagodziński:

A video from 2002

It isn't Jazz and it isn't Chopin; it's sentimental MOR. But there are a few tiny Chopin-influenced ornaments and some nice Polish girls in national costume wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I watched the videos I found here
http://jagodzinski.art.pl/video.htm

I liked it, but I have always been into lots of different music.
I'm also a fan of Tord Gustavsen Trio (A Norwegian jazz Trio with a very gifted classical trained, gospel-inspired pianist).

It's not Chopin, it's jazz inspired by his music wink

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Y'all dar git a gandar o' thissar:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/15766.html#000022

Dem varmints gone done dissin' our Preludes concert! wink

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
I watched the videos I found here
http://jagodzinski.art.pl/video.htm

I liked it, but I have always been into lots of different music.
I'm also a fan of Tord Gustavsen Trio (A Norwegian jazz Trio with a very gifted classical trained, gospel-inspired pianist).

It's not Chopin, it's jazz inspired by his music wink

Ragnhild
Thanks for that link, Ragnhild. I was really curious to know what they sounded like after reading Sotto Voce's post. I like jazz and found I could enjoy this so long as I remembered what you said - "It's not Chopin, it's jazz inspired by his music."

Page 132 of 425 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission