2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 137 of 425 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen,

I've created a short improv of Chopsticks, with a distinctively Chopinesque emphasis. Trouble is I cannot play it well enough to record. I usually play the music in my head and then "learn" it at the keyboard.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dear Greg:

As Mr. SH would tell you...you are missing the point. (I did the same thing. I actually started writing down some music. A real No-No!)

Supposedly, while it may be in your head, you have to get it on the keyboard as best you can. You can have some "ideas" on what you would like to do, but that's it. No crib notes allowed.

Even if there are some hesitations (I had several while my mind tried to figure out what might sound good, next.) And even those sour notes are allowed. I am so glad of this.

So get thee to the keyboard when you have a chance and go for it. Put the red dot on and just keep playing until coming "close" comes out. Remember this is an experiment, and what experiment ever turned out perfectly the first time around?

And thank you so much for keeping me company in my misery. Although I am certain your Chopsticks will sound good enough for the concert stage compared to mine.

My best,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good Morning All: smile

Have any one of you noticed the number of threads now going on in the ABF about Chopin?? Wow! yippie I can't remember ever seeing so many at a glance. A few study groups and some questions about chords and mazurkas, etc.

It brings a smile to my soul to see it all. I think we're getting out there to so many. And I hope that you will help in encouraging these people by answering their questions or posting a comment, whatever. If they see that they are getting some response from us, maybe even more people will start posting.

There is a question about a mazurka that I need to respond to now.

Hope you all are well. I had a sick day yesterday...eating my own cooking. eek Now I have to postpone recording my prelude for a few more days.

My best,
Kathleen

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I had a sick day yesterday...eating my own cooking.
Yikes! Not fun- would you care to share with us what happened, so we won't make the same mistake? laugh

Speaking of cooking, does anyone know what Chopin's favorite dish was?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Favorite dish? I suppose his mother would've known and maybe George Sand. In his letters he fondly mentions black Polish bread, gingerbread,
chocolate, coffee, Rhine and tokaj wines. He was known to like milk and ice cream and carried caramels in his pockets as a boy.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen,

I don't work like that with compositions. If I have to "fake it" on the fly, it means something has gone spectacularly badly wrong. So I suppose I am disqualified from Mr. S-H's challenge because my brain works differently.

The # of Chopin-related threads - quite encouraging isn't it? A piano music renaissance perhaps?

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Woohoo to Hersh!! thumb

Hey gerg, I was going to mention the same thing. Kathleen (and all others sharing on this thread) .. made more people interested in music and Chopin in particular. And we can all notice the eagerness for practice in the ABF with the huge number of threads.

Notice how passion can affect people.

Kudos to Kathleen and the rest of the gang!

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Chardonnay: Actually, I ate some left-over fried rice that we ordered out...from last Saturday. eek I said it was my cooking because I actually had to warm it up in the microwave. That's my idea of cooking. laugh Wow! It is so good to feel good. And I will NEVER eat rice again.

Frycek: I do have so much in common with Chopin (ha!). His love for chocolate and sweets just makes him more endearing to me. And dark Polish bread. There is an old Polish saying: "The whiter the bread, the sooner you're dead." I guess that didn't quite hold true for our hero.

Greg: I "practiced" about 5 days before I could do that "improv." Kind of funny, :p for it certainly wasn't off the top of my head.

Bassio: You have been all over the place today, and I am so glad you landed on the DtC thread. smile I know I say this many times, but we certainly miss our regulars, like you and Sotto Voce, and Ragnhild, and Hershey (oh my gosh, my memory is giving out :rolleyes: ...well, you know who are.)

It's it something how Chopin has made so many appearances lately. thumb Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving guy.

Best to all,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
You can download lots of free music here. smile

Free Music (lots of Chopin, too)

I downloaded all of Chopin's 17 Polish Songs. Hard to find. And they don't look that difficult. thumb

The link is from another thread.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Frycek:
Favorite dish? I suppose his mother would've known and maybe George Sand. In his letters he fondly mentions black Polish bread, gingerbread,
chocolate, coffee, Rhine and tokaj wines. He was known to like milk and ice cream and carried caramels in his pockets as a boy.
I was just reading a book called "The Scottish Autumn of Frederic Chopin" by Iwo Zaluski and Pamela Zaluski. It's interesting but a bit sad. It says he appreciated the Scottish salmon and game - but I don't know what they base that information on.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
WELCOME RAMONA:

[Linked Image]

Just what we need...another expert (or great researcher) on Chopin.

I also find it hard to believe that Chopin would like salmon and game (ugh!). I get the impression that he could very easily have lived on bread, chocolate and a bit of chicken (white meat, of course) once in a while. I think his stomach was very sensitive, and meat (in my opinion) would have upset his delicate constitution.

I recently ordered and finished "Chopin...His Life and Music" by Jeremy Nicholas, who is noted, principally, for being the biographer of Leopold Godowsky. Mr. Godowsky was famous for reinterpreting Chopin's etudes. eek Ala new techniques and variations.

Much of what Nicholas has written has been written before, and he often quotes other Chopin biographers. I guess the big difference is that the book comes with two CD's that are to be played when he specifically mentions particular Chopin compositions in the text. Sort of gives the book a bit more depth, I suppose.

Some information that I hadn't read before (and I always have that grain of salt handy whenever I read anything about Chopin) is that Julian Fontana comitted suicide 20 years after Chopin's death. I found this rather sad. In fact, I found the whole story about Fontana rather sad. I have to admit that I was angry with him for not honoring Chopin's wishes about destroying all his unfinished works. But then I read that he did publish them with the approval of Chopin's sister and family. So...? If he didn't publish those pieces, we would have never heard them. So, again???

Also, I remember posting the question why Chopin never dedicated anything to a member of his family. Well, according to Mr. Nicholas, Chopin did dedicated a piece called "Lento con espressione in C sharp minor" to his sister, Ludwika, published in 1875. I haven't heard this piece, that I recall, but I will look through the recordings that I have. Maybe it's never been recorded.

More trivia (again, according to Mr. Nicholas,) was that whole silly thing about the mind-reader finding the money that Jane Stirling left. The whole thing was a hoax put on for whatever reason.

And then a tidbit about Jane Stirling. She really had her sights set on marrying him, but Chopin said that she was too much like himself. (Now what does that mean?) What was it about her personality that so resembled Chopin's? He also said (among other things) that it would be "like kissing himself." smile

More later,
Kathleen

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Did she look like him? laugh laugh

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Funny...there could have been a very slight resemblance. Both had blondish hair (although I think hers was blonder and longer.) They were about the same stature. But she had money, and he did not. And he could play the piano; whereas, she did OK, but certainly not up to the master.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Their noses were similar.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Frycek: From the prints I've seen of her, her nose didn't stand out as being a bit large. She had a very pleasant face from what I remember.

Boy, I would really like to know why he thought she was so like him? Maybe that's why he wasn't attracted to her (you know, opposites attract, ala Sand). And Jane was 100 times better looking thatn Sand although I am not that certain if she was so intelligent. Maybe Chopin thought their intellectual ability was about the same.

I don't know, just guessing.

Kathleen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Congratulations to Hershey! I check his website every few months to see if he's added any shows. I would love to see M. Chopin!

Last night I went to a Chopin Society concert that was great. It was a benefit for a school, so it was very child-friendly (not in the kids-running-around way, but in piece selection). The pianist, Piotr Folkert, was excellent and played a nice selection of pieces from Chopin and others. It was narrated by one of our classical radio hosts, and he told bits about the composers' lives, especially Chopin. The pianist played the Andanta Spiniato/Grand Polonaise in E Flat, the Nocturne Opus 9 #2, Berceuse in D flat, and the Poloniase in A flat Opus 53. In addition he played Mozart's Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star Variations, Bach's Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring and May Sheep Safely Graze, and ended with Rhapsody in Blue. All that, and it was only $20 to get in! I took my three boys, and it was just enough concert for their age (11).

The next Chopin event involves a Piazzoforte Quintet. I'm not sure what that means, but the pianist won the Internatioal Chopin Competition in the 90s, so I'm sure it will be good.

Nancy

Estonia 168
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Nancy: That sounds so super that I am afraid I will have to tell my husband of 42 years that his wife has decided to move to GA. But he is certainly welcome to join me if he wants. laugh

How super that you have such wonderful cultural events, especially for children and especially about the piano and naturally, Chopin. It is so important that children are exposed to the classics as early as possible and giving them a look into each composer's life makes it even more enjoyable and meaningful, for then the composer becomes a real person who actually was once a child just like them and who created something truly wonderful that has lasted for hundreds of years ( wow ..long sentence.)

I don't think Hershey is going to add any more Chopin this year. Buy hey, there is always NEXT year, and maybe you can also catch the Beethoven.

Regards,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good early morning to all:

I am not going to be around for a couple of days. I have a date with the red dot and recording my prelude. But I wanted to add something I read about one of the mazurkas (you are aware of the mazurka thread, right?).

It's about the 17/4, "one of the best-loved and with good reason....Von Lenz records that 'Even in Chopin's presence we called it "the mourner's face" --he was quite happy about this name.' (Eigeldinger. p. 74)" from Eleanor Bailie's book

Now from what we know of Chopin, this is somewhat of a revelation (if it's true, of course). But it did come from the book most consider a very accurate account of Chopin...from his pupils, etc.

Anyhow, just thought I would throw it in, for what's it's worth.

My best,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Just another quote from the book mentioned about, regarding Chopin's burial place in Paris.

"A visitor to Pere Lachiase today will find Chopin's grave adnorned by a marble monument designed by Clesinger. It is situated in a crowded enclave near the Carrefour du Grand Round that also provides the last resting places of Cherubini, Bellini, Herold, Nehul, Gossec, Pleyel, Charpentier and Pierne. Their tombstones are silent and empty. Chopin's, no matter when you visit, is adorned with fresh floral tributes."

It brought a lump to my throat reading this.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
An eerie little note about Chopin's plot: Chopin attended the funeral of his friend Camille Pleyel's mother. Pleyel cried in his arms. Pleyel's mother was buried in close proximity to where Chopin's grave was later to be. Chopin would have passed very close by his future grave, perhaps he even noted the spot.

They say that even during the dismal days of both world wars that not a single day has passed without flowers on Chopin's grave.

[Linked Image]
Page 137 of 425 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission