2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 425 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 424 425
M
M
I've only recently started listening to classical piano music but I found an old tape of Chopin Waltzes Op. 18, 34, 42, 64, 69, 70 nos. 1-19 played by Abbey Simon and I AM BLOWN AWAY!!! eek

I especially love the waltz in C sharp minor (Op.64 No.2) wich is just so soulful.

As an aside I find it interesting that the recent CD of "100 best piano classics" contains 19 pieces by Chopin, the next highest being 7 by Beethoven, Lizt and Debussy. smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
WELCOME to you both... Ragnhild and Mountain Ash!! It is always so wonderful to learn that this site has found a couple more "fans." And, as I have often stated, I envy the joy of discovery that you have in store.

Ragnhild: Ashkenazy (sp?), has recorded ALL of Chopin's works, including, of course, the etudes. I purchased the complete set (you can find it on E-bay or Amazon). 13 CD's of about 30 hours of magnificent music. I think you can buy it for about $35, a bargain in the truest sense of the word. Although he often plays too fast in many instances, he is still a great interpreter of Chopin's music. However, IMHO, Ruybinstein is the master in this area.

Mountain Ash: Thank you for your "aside" about the 100 best piano classics. It comes as no surprise to me (I read this somewhere) that Chopin's music is immediately recognized world-wide. Even those who know nothing of classical music will "smile and nod their heads" when first hearing the opening bars of one of Chopin's masterpieces. No other composers' music can make this claim. Even my husband, whose idea of a classic is "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, just recently called out, while we were watching TV,: "Isn't that music by the guy you love?"

The waltz you mentioned it just one of many is hundreds of soulful pieces. I hope you will find the time and money to investigate more of his music. Your local library should have many CD's available. I have been listening to his music for years and years and never cease to not only be BLOWN AWAY, but also brought to tears.

Many people think of him, personally, as a fragile and effeminate composer whose music only appeals to those who are overly sensitive (women, perhaps). However, anyone who has read his biography and listened to ALL of his music will realize these statements are purely "bunk." He had the unique ability to put into his music what he couldn't or wouldn't express in words. And he did so...masterfully. His music (and technique) was way "ahead of his time."

Yes, he did write a lot of "dreamy" music, but no other composer has written more powerful and even angry music... his ballades, scherzos, and polonaises and etudes, etc. are clearly not the music of a wimpy composer. And, so important, his music has continued to remain loved and appreciated for tens of decades. Not only by the us "ordinary" people but also by many classic concert pianists and well-respected musicologists (whatever that is).

Ooopppss, there I go again. Get me on the subject of Chopin, and I do get carried away.

Again, I'm so thrilled for you both.

Happy listening,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
I got into Chopin recently when a friend of mine got me tickets to "Monsieur Chopin" by Hershey Felder in Cambridge Massachusetts. The performance was just incredible. I didn't know much about Chopin before that and now i am a big Chopin fan. My first attempt at Chopin's music is La grande valse brillante op. 18. I am more than half way through and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. The reason why i picked that particular one to start with is because i like the melody and also because i thought this walze was composed (according to Monsieur Chopin) at a time in Chopin's life when he was happy with himself and it shows in the emotions that come accross in that song. In the play Hershey Felder plays this waltze in sections making comments as he goes along: he talks about being in a soiree and how men would agglomerate and talk about serious topics of the day - at this point he would play part of op. 18 that would reflect the intent of seriousness. Then he would stop and talk about women gossiping in another room - at this point he would play another part of op. 18 that really actually resembles "gossiping" (if you're familiar with op. 18 you could probably easily guess which part of the song would "gossiping". It was quite funny actually.

Another part of the play talks about the death of Chopin's sister when he was still very young. At that point he plays Klaviersonate No. 2 op. 35 which was very touching. The whole play is about the performer completely entering Chopin's skin with the intention of giving the audience a piano lesson but then he reminisces about his whole life for about 2 hours...

Extremely well put together. I recommend anybody who likes Chopin to try and catch Monsieur Chopin if it's playing near you.

"Nothing exists in contradiction with nature; only in contradiction with what we know of it." (Dana Scully - The X-File)
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I have never heard of the play, but if it ever comes anywhere near me (200 miles or so), I will definitely attend.

Thank you for your description. It sounds like a wonderful experience for Chopin fans, or even would-be fans.

And it is so true. Chopin could gossip with "the best of them." laugh

Regards,
Kathleen

Here's a site that'll give you some more info about this play: http://www.amrep.org/chopin/

Try the slide show to get a feel of what it's like on stage.

"Nothing exists in contradiction with nature; only in contradiction with what we know of it." (Dana Scully - The X-File)
Looks like it's going to be in San Diego, CA at the end of this month: http://www.oldglobe.org/productions/MonsieurChopin446.html

Hope that's within 200 miles of you Kathleen smile

Enjoy!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd heard of it. My only hope is Atlanta.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
cursing cursing mad

i found out (via the internet) that this play was in chicago, just about 90 miles from where i live.

HURRAY! it was supposed to close in august but because of a sell-out performance each night, they extended it through october.

lucky me. or so i thought.

i called the box office only to discovered the play had closed just this last january. what i failed to notice, while reading the internet, was the year. they were writing about 2005! it was a huge success and went through january of this year, 2006.

need i say how disappointed i was?

the actor is "doing" beethoven next and it will appear at this theatre next feb. I might go see it because beethoven is my next favorite composer. but, boy, how i wish i could have seen monseiur chopin. frown frown

kathleen

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Another item in the "I shudder to think" category. Jacket lp of the waltzes from Venezuela.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
i am, once again, speechless...to both of the above entries. eek

kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pedron:
Looks like it's going to be in San Diego, CA at the end of this month: http://www.oldglobe.org/productions/MonsieurChopin446.html

Hope that's within 200 miles of you Kathleen smile

Enjoy!
Thanks for posting that. I just bought tickets for Thursday night (standing room only, though). We just happen to be going to San Diego next week.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
you are so lucky!! thumb

please let us know how you enjoyed the play, even though you have to stand.

if i could, i would...stand on my head to see this production. it has been given rave reviews.

picture me...green with envy.

[Linked Image]

hope you have great time.

kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
yes it does. i noticed that also.

mad there should be a law somewhere....

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
yes it does. i noticed that also.

mad there should be a law somewhere....

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Can't let us slip to the second page.

So here's a picture of the chubbiest Chopin yet. He even has the start of a double chin and sideburns much like Elvis. laugh

[Linked Image]

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've noticed the barest suggestion of a "double chin" on many of his portraits. I think the glands under his jar were perpetually swollen. (Mine are.) He was thin enought for this to be visibly perceptible. At least that one got his eye color right. Or at least as I imagine it to be right, a dark enough grey blue to be mistaken for brown at a casual glance.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Frycek: You have a point.

Also noticed the nose...beak-like and crooked. Also his ears...a little large. Looks like he has a widow's peak hairline, but color of his hair is too dark.

Oh well, I still think that Henry Felder is probably the closest we are going to see. Of course, other than the real photograph.

Sorry to learn that your jaws are swollen. Hope it isn't too painful.

Regards,
Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't think the sidewhiskers suited him at all. This must've been circa 1832, "I have only one sidewhisker, the other simply won't grow," adding that that was ok since the audience only saw one side of him anyway. This is also about the same period in which his friend Jan, newly arrived in Paris, wrote back to Poland that Chopin had managed to put on some weight and looked so good Jan almost hadn't recognized him. He had a couple of relatively good years heath wise around that time.

(Re the glands, people with chronic respiratory problems often have chronically swollen glands in the throat/jaw area. Normally mine are only the slightest bit tender when touched. If I have an acute infection going they get sore.)

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 425 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission