Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 60 of 274 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 273 274 >
Topic Options
#979214 - 05/02/07 11:32 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
And what is happening at the Bulgarian Embassy? [/b]
At the moment, all I know is that there is a grand piano at the place. \:D

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#979215 - 05/03/07 08:36 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Kathleen,

I really enjoyed reading your review of this incredible evening (so glad I happened to "pop in" and find it). I would have loved to have been there myself!

#979216 - 05/03/07 09:39 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Hersh was kind to send these photos....

Right after his performance:

Receiving "A Friend of Poland" award from the ex-ambassador of Poland.

I'm sorry about the two different sizes. Obviously, I have a lot to learn about posting photos.

Kathleen

#979217 - 05/03/07 10:38 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
brilliant, I enjoyed your post very much kathleen. thanks for sharing

#979218 - 05/03/07 11:44 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Kathleen,
Thanks for the wonderful report from what sounds like a magical evening! I wish I could have been there.
Thanks, Hershey, to you as well for bringing Chopin to life!

Sophia

#979219 - 05/03/07 01:11 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, one and all, for your lovely comments. Wish you could have been there; what a time THAT would have been! Poor Hershey...he would have never been allowed off that stage.

I was backtracking (ugh) through the last several pages, trying to find someone's (sorry, whoever you are, I've forgotten) suggestion on how to really pinpoint a post. I finally found it, but in my explorations I discovered how simply OVERWHELMINGLY wonderful everyone has been. Not only in posting some really great web sites, but in sharing experiences and offerring suggestions, and on and on. You are ALL so exceptional!! And I truly mean this.

This thread is so huge and so great that I wish we could publish it somewhere. Of course, I could print out all 71 pages and close to 1800 posts, but I think that might kill my printer, which is on its last legs already.

There is so much information here...all of it astounding in its scope.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could put it all together? Maybe not a book, but something more substantial. And something that would make it easy to find what we are looking for. I just honestly think we are unique in all of cyberspace. We deserve something to signify that.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

You know...I just had a thought. Wonder if now is the time to bring up the idea of a Chopin Forum to Frank...just a thought.

Kathleen

#979220 - 05/03/07 01:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Unbelievable!! I wish Hershey would take his "act" to Maine. I would love to see/hear it.

Many thanks for sharing Kathleen!!

#979221 - 05/03/07 10:07 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Chopin Goodies to all Chopin addicts

The long suffering of Frederic Chopin
http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/113/1/210.pdf
(sorry for imposing my medical roots on this thread :p )

Chopin: The Man and His Music (by James Huneker)

Here
also here:
http://www.bookrags.com/ebooks/4939/

And this for all Chopin addicts + Lisztaddict:

Life of Chopin (written by Franz Liszt himself)
http://www.pos1.info/l/lfcpn.htm

#979222 - 05/03/07 10:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

oops

#979223 - 05/04/07 12:10 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:

http://www.pos1.info/l/lfcpn.htm [/b]
Hey, thanks!

#979224 - 05/04/07 12:18 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
 Quote:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:

http://www.pos1.info/l/lfcpn.htm [/b]
Hey, thanks! [/b]
I read that Liszt didn't write it.

Marie d'Agoult did.

Or was it Caroline?

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#979225 - 05/04/07 03:46 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Caroline defiinitely had a hand in it but Liszt probably told her what to say.

#979226 - 05/04/07 07:50 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
I have just been reading the diaries of Cosima Wagner and these throw light on Liszt's biography of Chopin as well as other matters.

Franz Liszt’s daughter Cosima (by his mistress Marie d’Agoult) fell in love with Richard Wagner in her late 20s and eventually left her husband the conductor Hans von Bülow to live with him, and for the next fourteen years until his death they were inseperable. Wagner was only two years younger than Liszt but he must have had something going for him! She kept a diary for nearly all their life together.
Of course, Cosima was familiar with Chopin’s works as her father continued to play and cherish them always.
On Sunday, March 16, 1873 she recorded:
As I was singing a theme today, R [husband Richard] asks me who had written it; when I say Chopin, he regrets that he himself plays the piano so little, for in consequence all these things have remained virtually unknown to him. “By merely being heard,” he says, “They have not impressed themselves on my mind; they dissolve like a beautiful sunset, arouse feelings in me but no reflections, no questions about where they came from, as with things of the truly great.” [Of course, Wagner would have included himself in the category of the “truly great”.]
Cosima quarrelled with her husband over Chopin’s music – Wagner simply did not understand it. In March 1877 she records that her father was working on the revision of his biography of Chopin, which was first published in 1852. The revised version appeared in 1879. Of course, that was 30 years after Chopin’s death. It is often said that this biography is more the work of Liszt’s mistress, the Princess Sayn Wittgenstein, but the fact that Liszt himself carefully re-worked it means that it really is how he saw Chopin, even though he mis-remembered some of the facts.

#979227 - 05/04/07 08:23 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maryrose:
– Wagner simply did not understand it. [/b]
I'm not surprised.

#979228 - 05/04/07 09:28 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Bassio: SUPER SITES!! Thank you. I've added them to my "favorites," to read in more detail later.

Simply stated and perhaps this is written somewhere in your articles, but Chopin did die of heart disease. His heart simply gave out; it just couldn't take the strain of his pulmonary disease anymore.

And, the accounts of his constant sufferring are vastly overstated. True, he did have some very difficult and painful and frightening "attacks," (for want of a better word), but overall, his life was NOT one big "coughing up blood" portrait. He enjoyed many days/years of relatively good health, and there were times when he was feeling as healthy as a horse. (Sorry for the trite analogies.)

Regarding the book by Liszt... I did read it, and even I, a true Chopinophile, was embarrassed by it. I never knew Chopin could "walk on water."

Its language is extremely flowerly and the grammar leaves a lot to be desired. However, I think it is a MUST read for Chopin addicts.

Liszt's love and respect for Chopin are so evident. Liszt was one heck of a guy. He had a big heart along with his huge talent. And I can understand how he let the Princess have her way with her over-the-top descriptions of Chopin and his music.

Regarding Mary Rose's comments about Wagner and how he did not "understand" Chopin's music. This comes as no surprise to me, considering Wagner's personality and ego.

MaryRose: While we are on the subject...in M. Chopin, Chopin gets very angry at one point when he is describing the end of his liaison with Sand. And, to both Frycek's and my surprise (shock), he calls her the "w" word. Now, I KNOW Chopin NEVER called her this, but I do remember reading someone else doing so. But naturally, I can't remember who it was. Maybe both Frycek and I didn't quite hear M. Chopin's remark in its full context (he did speak a little softly at times), so it is very possible he might have been quoting someone's opinion of her. As angry as he was, as upset and bewildered and heart-broken, he always remained the gentleman regarding her.

Remember that documentary "Chopin's Afterlife"? Well, I finally had the opportunity to view it. It was obvious a labor of love, and it was, in most instances, a great tribute to Chopin. Many pianists playing many examples of his music and explaining what it meant to them. Some analyses of his character, personality, etc.

And a very moving scene of Chopin's grave in Paris, just overflowing with flowers and the Polish embassador laying a huge wreath...hundreds of people there, all commemorating his birthday. It was amazing to see the faces of these people, so utterly reverent and seemingly heart-broken. And, of course, the tears.

And through the film, the much repeated sentence: "Chopin is speaking directly to ME through his music. He is the only composer who can do so." (I'm paraphrasing here somewhat.)

One pianist (sorry, I need to get his name and the composition he played) was so articulate in describing "zal," and he demonstrated, by playing sections of this piece, just how Chopin was searching, longing, yearning, for what??? no one knows ...but then how quickly (in another section of the music) how he rebels against his hopelessness and resignation and refuses to be overtaken by it. EXTREMELY excellent...for this part alone.

But then, there are some parts that are somewhat confusing, and I wondered why she included them in the film. A modern dance interpretation was one of them (ugly!). In once particular scene, he asked a very talented young man (he played several portions of Chopin's most difficult etudes) what he would have asked Chopin if he could. The young man answered that he wished Chopin had written more etudes. What??? Was my reaction to this statement. He wrote 24 and at the age of about 19-20 and just how many etudes have you (the young man) written?? Boy, that really made me mad. But I think this fellow was sort of showing off just what and how he could play, and he was "playing" to the camera. Sotto Voce has stated that this kid must have forgotten that Chopin wrote more than 24...(the Trois Nouvelles) were obviously forgotten.

I see Frycek got in before I posted this.

That's it...practice time.. How is everyone doing with his/her preludes? Anyone want to submit a "progress" report?

I think I already posted that I have gotten through it but will definitely need the next 5+ months to get it up to speed and as polished as best as I can. This prelude is so lovely...I haven't gotten sick of it, as I did, eventually, with the 15th. Gosh, sorry to whomever is playing this one.

Kathleen

#979229 - 05/04/07 09:55 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
La Sylphide Offline

Loc: Egypt
Good day Chopaholics

Dearest Kathleen: I was overwhelmed by your post in which you described Felder's Mr. Chopin...so touching, so moving and I deeply appreciate your thoughtfulness to share it with us (staying up till 3:30 a.m.! you should have been exhausted!). Indeed, you made it possible for us to “be there spiritually,” and the beauty of the pictures you’ve sent are above any comments. I can never thank you enough dear.
Still, I insist that you write better than George Sand. ;\)

And thank you Mr. Felder, you look outstanding .Gosh!! I long to see your performance!

Bassio: excellent sites

Regards.

"Time is still the best critic,and patience,the best teacher." Chopin

#979230 - 05/04/07 09:58 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

Loc: France
Hi -

Hope all are well. I was just reading Kathleen's post about M. Chopin - something or other that Chopin refers to Sand as... the "W" word. I'm afraid he never refers to her as the "w" word - or whore. (Ah, how memory goes after one viewing...) what he does say... and I do remember, because after all - he has said it at least 300 times to my knoweldge \:\) is:

(continued from angry response to receiving her letter cutting him off...) "Do you know about her mother? Her father may have been a nobleman, but her mother had been a whore. It is no doubt that she is what she is and she does what she does because.... What kind of woman is she?"

(Then later - in fury during the G- prelude:)

"I have never cursed anyone in my life, though I should like to curse Lucrezia Floriani, and Madame George Sand..."

So, no, he never ever calls her a whore...but he is angry... and if you look carefully at his letters from this time - he very clearly makes cursing reference to Lucrezia Floriani - referring to her as Sand... so there is reason for this.

As for Liszt's biography - well - a little PR to jump on the "oh my god, how dreadful he's dead - I am in pain bandwagon..." goes a long way... fact is - Liszt was ever respectful of Chopin - most telling - in the accounts of his masterclasses later in life - when Chopin had already been dead for some 25+ years...his respect of Chopin's craftsmanship is boundless, a respect richly deserved... as for the approach to Chopin's character, Lucrezia Floriani, etc... when the book was published serially, everyone in Paris who cared was gossiping about the book as if it were a revealing portrait of Chopin. Of course Sand denied it in the end - but for me, the absolute guarantee, that there were elements in the book that did reflect Chopin's behavior as it appeared to his contemporaries, was Delacroix's reaction to the private reading at Nohant which he recounts in his diary, a place where he was never known to "lie" for PR purposes.... Delacroix knew them both very well - and if he believed that Sand's account reflected Chopin's behavior, then I'm afraid, much as I love the guy - I quite believe it too...

Doesn't make him any less of a genius - but great, sublime, supernatural abilities don't necessarily make a great man - a great artist? Well, that's another story...

\:\)

#979231 - 05/04/07 11:16 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Liszt on George Sand:
"George Sand catches her butterfly and tames it in her cage by feeding it on flowers and nectar -- this is the love period. Then she sticks her pin into it when it struggles -- that is the congé and it always comes from her. Afterwards she vivisects it, stuffs it, and adds it to her collection of heroes for novels."

#979232 - 05/04/07 11:59 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Sarah...so sweet of you.

However, the pics are "gifts" from Hershey. I can't take the credit. I'm still waiting for mine to be developed!

Hersh: THANK YOU for clearing up the whore word. I KNOW that Frycek and I didn't hear you correctly, as to whom you were referring. I think you were standing by the piano at the time, and your emotional "outburst" (quite understandable) sort of covered up the "preface" of your statement.

I remember that while Sand was reading from her book to both Delacroix and Chopin, Delacroix was seething. But Chopin showed no emotion, other than seemingly to "enjoy" the story. Later on, Delacroix approached Chopin (or did he??) and wondered why Chopin was not angry at Sand's obvious reference to him. Chopin refused to let his true feelings about it be known, at that time. He seemed childishly imperious to the whole thing.

My question to you then...in Delacroix's diary (which I haven't read), did he actually confirm some of the "less than gentlemanly" behavior that Sand described.

Of course, as much as we love the man, he was no angel. But I have a very hard time accepting all or even most of what Sand wrote about him. Again, she the long-sufferring victim ,and Chopin the petulant and childish "bad guy."

I agree ..."but great, sublime, supernatural abilities don't necessarily make a great man..."

If my memory serves me correctly, very few great artists were, indeed, great men.

Thanks again, Hersh, for clearing up that particular concern. Silly as it might have seemed, it did bother us.

But it's funny. I know I would rather have someone call me a whore than refer to my mother as such. That's really the bigger insult.

Frycek: Love that Liszt!!!

Kathleen

#979233 - 05/04/07 05:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Sarah - good luck with your exams.

Kathleen - but GS's mother was, literally, a whore. And Delacroix never criticised Chopin's character in any way. He admired him enormously - as a friend and as an intellect - and never ceased to mourn him when he had gone. I've read his diary from end to end but unfortunately a very interesting year, 1848, is missing - he lost it when he was escaping Paris during the revolution.

I wouldn't say that Chopin was childishly imperious. I think the only way he could cope with the situation was to pretend not to notice. He managed to rise above it, and to resist any sort of retaliation; which is more than I could have done.

#979234 - 05/04/07 07:33 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

My good wishes for great luck with your exams, also, Sarah. Of course, as with most exams, luck has little to do with doing well.

So strange, MaryRose: As I was returning from a very long car trip, I was thinking the exact thing about Sand's mother. She REALLY was a whore, so Chopin's remark wasn't an insult afterall. He was calling it as it was.

But then I thought...gee, woman who sell themselves are given the worst names (reputations), but what do we call the men who avail themselves of such services? They're just considered "normal." (Or in some cases, great risk-takers.)

So glad to learn about Delacroix and his opinion of Chopin. Although he was a bit of a scoundrel himself, Chopin valued his friendship and opinion. What I find so amusing is that he wasn't upset at all that Chopin didn't care much for his painting. I think this says alot about him.

I made the mistake of ordering about 12 biographies of Chopin last year, all in the space of a month. And then tried to devour them all...in the space of a month. :rolleyes: Some stuff stuck and some didn't. I have to reread each one again, more carefully (and possibly takes notes) and finish each and every letter of Chopin's. Some I skipped over, mostly the ones where he was making all those demands of Fontana. Poor guy. But then Frycek thinks that Chopin paid Fontana for being his "go-get" person. If this is so, then I don't feel quite as sorry for him.

Katheen

#979235 - 05/05/07 09:48 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Your comments are needed here
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/14857.html
(I already posted this question here but it became lost between the huge amount of posts)

#979236 - 05/05/07 12:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Bassio:

So sorry your question got buried. I do remember reading it and thought I would get back to listening to it and offerring up my opinion, but, as always, life gets in the way.

For example, it is now 11 a.m. where I live, I got up around 6:30 a.m., and I am still IN MY PAJAMAS! Going back and forth, reading and answering and posting questions seems to take up most of my morning.

Anyhow, yes I do know both concerti VERY WELL. They rank right up there with my very favorite Chopin pieces, especially the Romance sections. To say that I have listened to them over 1,000 times would not be understated.

I personally like Cortot's version better. Rubinstein's ended so abruptly and lacked passion. Whereas, Cortot let the piano rule, as it should...and I thought giving the piano reign over the orchestra was a bit daring, but OK.

However, I have Garrick Olhson's (sorry, spelling?) and I think he plays both concerti perfectly, IMHO.

I know I don't have the musical knowledge of technique and theory.....so perhaps my opinion doesn't count for much.

But you asked...so I responded. I hope more will do so.

Your questions are always so intriguing and intelligent...please keep asking them. It's what we need more of on this thread.

You go through so much trouble posting them. I would post Ohlsonn's, but I'm afraid I'd still be in my P.J.'s by dinner time. But perhaps I'll try...I will certainly make the effort.

Regards,
Kathleen

#979237 - 05/06/07 08:36 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

The M. Chopin concert was a pretty "big deal" for both Frycek and me. And to answer how we got invited...we simply asked!! That is...if there happened to be any extra seats...never dreaming our request would be granted. So we "won" the lottery!

Anyhow...here is a pic of the invitation (some of it anyhow).

I'm on my way to the first of 3 Beethoven concerts...his concertos 1 & 2 today, 3 & 4 on Tuesday evening and the 5th (the Emperor) next Sunday. Pretty excited. We have an absolutely gorgeous theatre downtown called The Coronado that has all the trappings and the splendor of theatres of days gone by. Gold and red velvet everywhere. I'm going to take my camera and try to get some good shots.

Maybe it will coax Hershey into coming to Rockford someday.

BTW Hersh:[/b] ...A question that I haven't been able to find a answer for. And since Mother's day is around the corner, I think it's relevant.

When Chopin was in Paris, his dear mother (whom he would never see again after the age of 19) sent him a letter asking for some money. She wouldn't tell him why she needed it and wanted to keep it a secret from Chopin's father. Do you know if he ever sent her the money? (Gosh, I hope so.) And what did she need it for?

If I've asked this question before, please excuse my lapse of memory.

Thanks...

Kathleen

#979238 - 05/06/07 10:49 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Bassio:

Always trying to be a woman of my word, here is the coda from concerto #2, as played by Garrick Ohlsson. Frankly, I don't hear much difference, but then my hearing isn't that great. It's pretty loud. However, I hope you can hear the difference.

coda from concerto 2, Garrick Ohlsson

Let me know what you think?

Kathleen

#979239 - 05/07/07 08:10 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

Chopin, money and mother...

Kathleen - without going into the literature to confirm, the story that I remember is a little different than the one you propose... as I remember it, it was the other way around. Chopin's mother sent money to him, and asked Chopin to never tell his father about it.

I may be twisting the story around myself, but that's how I remember it (then again, I am getting older, so the mind makes up all sorts of things...)

At any rate - it was always an issue with Chopin's father, that he worried, and annoyed Chopin as well - badgering him to "save for a rainy day" as it were... Chopin was always out of money even thoug he worked hard. After all - the belles-coiffes, the gloves, well appointed carriage, valet, elegant rooms - all these things cost money, and if one is to give the impression of royalty...one must live in this way...!

\:\)

#979240 - 05/07/07 09:19 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sorry, Kathleen has it right. Chopin's mother wrote to him asking for a very specific sum, saying he could send it in installments if he needed too. She did not tell him what it was for (fear of Russian censors?) but did specify that she didn't want to worry Mikolaj about it. By then his health was failing as well. I think she needed it to pay some sort of fine or tax or perhaps get her son in law out of some sort of trouble. (The specific sum suggests this). The confidence with which she asked for it indicates that she had every expectation of his sending it especially as he was established and doing relatively well at that point. And I suppose he must have sent it, probably via his Polish exile underground, after beating every bush for some clue as to what was going on. Several years later, when Chopin was on his death bed and destitute, Justyna did send him some money to help out.

#979241 - 05/07/07 09:31 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks...Hersh:

How well I know about getting older (and you, young man, are but a mere "younster," in comparison) ...and the memory fading. Ha...what memory?? :rolleyes:

Yes, I do recall Chopin asking for money and wondering what was he thinking. After all, just how many pairs of white gloves does one need? How could he ask for money from his dear parents who probably were struggling? But he was still a very young man, so I guess we have to forgive him for that.

Well, Frycek got in before I could finish posting this. Thank you...if only for confirmation that I am not losing my mind!! \:\) \:\)

On another note...I attended a concert yesterday of Beethoven's first two piano concerti. They do grow on you. Anyhow, the pianist was a young man (gosh, everyone seems to be a young man) called Alon Goldstein. Outstanding! I have never seen a concert pianist play with such joy and even fun. He was having a good time!!

The Bb was very Mozart-like. The CM more Beethoven with a touch of his teacher, Hayden. I believe these were the first concertos Beethoven composed, so he was still learning. And of course, with 3, 4, and 5, he will burst out on as his own. But, the first two (IMHO) can't hold a candle to Chopin's concertos. The piano in both is, beyond a doubt, pure genius and and spell-binding. Of course, I am just a tad prejudiced, I know. No matter how many times I've played them (a thousand, at least), I never tired of them. Why is that?

But the best thing...for an encore and as a teaser for the next concert, he played the second movement of Beethoven's 4th concerto. I swear he barely touched the keys but simply breathed on them. So delicate and lovely. And I'm thinking: "This is Beethoven?"

As I was leaving the theater, the woman in back of me said to her husband: "How beautiful." Her husband answered: "That wasn't Beethoven. It was Chopin!"

I really wanted to turn around to say how much I agreed, but I held my tongue (for once). \:D

Regards to all...
Kathleen

#979242 - 05/07/07 11:14 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

Thank you Frycek for the correct information.. it is good to know that we have a walking talking encyclopedia of Chopiniana - that saves us from running back to the literature! Believe me, it is much appreciated - and yes Kathleen - this mind - much as it works, forgets and mixes up plenty!

So... I am grateful for all the help it gets!!!

\:\) \:\) H

#979243 - 05/07/07 01:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

from Hersh: \:\)

Quote:
Thank you Frycek for the correct information.. it is good to know that we have a walking talking encyclopedia of Chopiniana - that saves us from running back to the literature![/b]
:D \:D

How so very true!

Thanks Frycek,
Kathleen

Page 60 of 274 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 273 274 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (Akshay, beeboss, Aucha, ando, adultpianist, 16 invisible), 1143 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153570 Topics
2250690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On Temperament strip tuning, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
04/19/14 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission