2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 92 of 425 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 424 425
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

Another thing...since we know that Chopin did NOT give titles to his music, does anyone know who is responsible for naming this piece? Sure, it certainly sounds like a funeral march, but did Chopin actually title it as such??

[...]

As for you others, please...check in, so we know all is well and going (relatively) smoothly.
Kathleen, at first I assumed your funeral march reference was to Prelude #20 in c minor. Now that I see Bassio's link, I realize you must mean Sonata #2.

I think whether a march qualifies as a funeral march might be in the ear of the beholder, although I believe that the slow movement of the Sonata was conceived and labeled as such by Chopin. Please—anyone!—correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't made an attempt to verify that. It just seems like something I remember, sort of like the quotation in my sig line about suppleness. (Jeremy Siepmann attributes it to Chopin, yet I haven't found any other attribution on the Internet. And I haven't been able to face searching the old fashioned way—with my eyes, through the text of a book!)

Anyway, the c minor Prelude is often referred to as a funeral march, too, though, at Largo, I can't see how the quarter notes could set the pace! After starting the Fantaisie in f minor, I found that its introductory episode is also regarded as a funeral march, yet, again, the indication Tempo di marcia (Grave) seems practically a contradiction in terms. (If grave is as ponderous as largo, that's just too slow to feel like a march to me. I play the march episode at around 66 bpm, and then not quite doppio movimento from the change to alla breve at bar 43. Of course, I'm using my Schirmer's edition here that never actually says doppio movimento, but that's another thread .)

I'm happy to report that Prelude #26 is coming along. I'm still getting down the section where the harmonic development builds to a climax in the right hand. It turns out that I have better lateral rotation in my left hand than I realized, so the piece is somewhat less taxing overall than I thought.

I'm also reassured by recordings I heard where the tempo was definitely not presto, so I won't feel any pressure to press the speed, either. I actually heard some that sounded more like allegretto (in the sense of slower than allegro), and I think I'll be able to manage a vivace ma non troppo.

Best wishes for rapid progress to all involved in the Prelude project! (Or am I supposed to say "break a leg" instead?)

Steven

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Steven..(Sotto Voce) for checking in. I never had any doubt smile (with your obvious mastery) that you weren't "on target," as they say. And I'm glad to hear that you aren't having the problems you thought you might. I have to add something similiar. When I looked at all the chords in my prelude eek , but (as always) Chopin fits so easily into one's hands if one's hands are properly placed and "flexible."

As far as the naming of the Funeral March, I also remember reading that Chopin referred to it as such, but did he really name it. That's the question? Actually, Prelude #20 (which he requested to be played at his funeral, along with #4 [and I think #6]) would all be considered in the "funeral" category.

And as far as tempo...most of the time mine is "tempo learno." Seriously, play it as you feel it. You can drive yourself crazy (figurately) trying to figure out just what all those terms mean and what really is the true difference among them. confused

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So far, so good on Preludes 1 and 21.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Funeral March" isn't a title. It's just a genre description like "Mazurka" is a description.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Piano again. That's good news.

And Frycek... of course. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
As if thinking about getting the prelude ready isn't enough...I have a question to pose to all of you. confused

Just today, I read two notes from people who said that they no longer visit the Chopin thread because it is becoming either too academic or just doesn't suit their interests anymore.

Quote: "The Chopin-thread has for some time become far too academic for a simple soul like me, so I have no contributions to make."

And then another note from someone who said he would like to visit, but it is just too overwhelming and impossible to navigate around.

Quote: "The darn thing is too big and unwieldy. If you guys went with the Chopin Forum idea it would be a lot easier to follow, a lot easier to find things, and I think a lot more inviting for real Chopin neophytes like myself to participate."

We will, in no time at all, be at 2,000 responses. THAT IS TOTALLY COOL, BUT TOTALLY HUGE!

My idea about the indexes (indices?) just isn't working as well as I thought. It's a lot of work (a labor of love, for sure), but still not very effective.

So, dear Chopinophiles...if we want to keep the members we have and to attract more, who may enrich the topic (Chopin...in all aspects....)even more, it's time to make a decision...in my opinion (obviously).

Two ideas have been "tossed around."

1) Creating a Chopin Forum. Yes, I know there were some problems with this idea when we first talked about it a couple of months ago. Who is going to be the moderator? We will lose our intimacy? With a separate forum, we might actually lose some people, as they might not take the time to look at all the forums available. These are all valid concerns. (And yes, I admit, these were my concerns! But I've done some rethinking. After all, a woman has the right to change her mind.) thumb

And here is what one person had to say about a forum:

"I love the idea of a Chopin forum. I imagine going into the forum and seeing threads like:

Concert report: Hershey Felder as Chopin at the Polish Embassy (with pictures)

What are the easiest Chopin pieces ?

Who is Sand and why does everyone hate Sand ?

Chopin societies ?

What are your favorite Chopin moments ?

An All Chopin Preludes recital

etc. (you get the idea).... "

(And this would allow people who really know their "stuff" to feel comfortable conversing with those who are also at that level.)

I think this idea might be worth considering again. Of course, we would have to get Frank's approval and then someone to volunteer to be a moderator. Well, since I have relatively little else to do and don't sleep that much, I would volunteer and perhaps another retiree could help out.

The other idea..,

Create a new topic on the ABF called: "What's New with Chopin?" (or something really "catchy" [??] laugh like that.) On this page, I would post links to a specific page or pages that would direct readers to interesting topics that have been posed on the Devoted Thread and perhaps attract more readers and get more contributions. I would update this topic page as often as necessary and make certain it always stays on the first page.

So.... many of you might know that we will celebrate Chopin's 200th birthday in 2010. What better tribute can we pay him than to create a whole "forum" to him. Doesn't he deserve it? Especially on Piano World?? To quote a very special person: "I love the guy." And I know some of you do also.

I am going to write Frank, just to see if it is possible to do and if he is willing to let us do it.

Sorry, how I do tend to go on!! :rolleyes:

Please...make your comments, arguments, suggestions, whatever...here and soon.

Regards to all,
Kathleen

Check me in. thumb

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, op30no3...all 5??

Kathleen

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Even though I am a Liszt addict, I am for a Chopin forum, moderator or no moderator.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Now for more on the above...forum or no forum, a new topic page called "What's New with Chopin"...

I've included these additional comments, taken from the Check in page - for preludes.

I would appreciate all your comments. Thank you.
Some comments/suggestions for "organizing" the Devoted Thread

Regards to all,
Kathleen

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Peyton checked in for #2, but my list shows Frycek for the same prelude. Obviously, I don't have the most current list.

Who has it? Frycek?
Kathleen
Sorry Kathleen, I meant #3 not #2.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I would be willing to (help) moderate.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Even if I find the Chopin thread to be very inclusive and kind-spirited as it is, I think a separate Chopin forum might be easier to take part in.

Then I could avoid the "For those who dislike George Sand"-thread and join the "How to make Hugh Grant play Chopin in a new film "- thread wink

I am just a little worried that another forum will mean that the Chopin-addicted loose contact with the rest of the ABF.

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm rather afraid of checking in, because I haven't started yet...
However, I only have 8 bars left in HR2(the part with the extreme scales). I'm down for 12 and 16.
Just make sure that jazzyprof doesn't quit no. 16.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Playadom: I'm a bit confused confused (nothing new.) Both you and jazzyprof are downfor #16. Are you doing a duet? laugh Or is one of you playing the first half, the the other the second half? thumb

Please clue me with and thanks for checking in.

Wonderful response from all of you. Have yet to heart from Gerg (probably on vacation), Stephenc (he's around somewhere) and Thalamus. I'll wait a day or two and then PM them.

I am REALLY excited about this and can't tell you how appreciative I am that you all have taken it seriously and are working on your preludes to have them ready (as best you can, remember that!).

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
As for the forum idea: The more I think about it, the more concerned I become. Just as Ragnhild stated...I think poor Chopin will just get lost in the already large number of forums out there.

It would take someone REALLY, REALLY determined to find him. And that would exclude those who just might have a mild interest or perhaps don't really know about him at all... and these are the people we so sincerely want to attract.

Thanks for the offer of moderating, Frycek. You are already much too busy and need to get your rest.

I'm still leaning toward the "What's New with Chopin" new topic on the ABF. And I could also do the same thing on the Pianist Corner to "round" it out for those more technically more proficient, inviting those people to the ABF to the "Devoted" thread.

In other words, we would still have the main thread in the ABF, but I could put the same topic page in the PC to get their interest (hopefully) and "link" them back to us, where they could read and post.

Even though some of us might think that much of what is written on the Pianist Corner is "over our heads," I think there are many interesting and thought-provoking subjects posed that we can learn from (of course, it HAS to be about Chopin). I was thinking, specifically, of Ted2's recent response...really quite thoughtful and fascinating. And, of course, Sotto Voce and Stephenc...both of them providing us with some great information.

So...I guess you know where I stand. But, again, I am not the "boss." Really! I'm just looking for an "easy" way to get the word out, so to speak, to gain new members and NOT lose the ones we have.

And...we can still post topics about Hugh Grant and our dislike for Sand, and so on. It does not and will not only be for the SERIOUS stuff. What fun is that??

Please feel free to agree, disagree or just plain say "Whatever!"

Regards,
Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd vote for the CHopin Forum - I used to read this 'totally devoted' thread but it's so big and unwieldy that I can never tell what is being discussed and I dont have the time in my personal life to read backtrack through all the entries. But a CHopin forum separated by threads would be interesting, I think, and I would take a look at that daily.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
I second that Schubertian.

I see topics go ignored in the 'totally devoted' thread because they get buried by responses to other topics going on at the same time.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, both, for your input. Your points are well raised. Let's wait a bit to see if we get other responses. And perhaps a poll of some type. I wrote Frank of Piano World to ask if creating a new Chopin forum were possible. So far, I haven't heard from him.

Kathleen

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I vists the Chopin thread daily even if I don't post for weeks, as like others have said, sometimes the discussions go beyond my knowldge of the composer, but I still read what looks interesting.

I often like just checking in and often find that I enjoy the stuff that is more 'off-topic' but still related to Chopin in some way, i.e Chopins memorable moments, members recording of Chopin music, Hersheys concerts and Kathleens report, MaryRoses lessons with the Chopin scholar etc etc.

I think to keep academic and off topic in the same thread creates problems - I'd love to see a less formal thread seperate from a more formal thread discussing advanced aspects of Chopin himself and his music. That is, maybe an in INDEXED thread for the budding Chopin scholars and a NON INDEXED thread for those who like the fun or "off topic" aspects of Chopin would be best.

An index for a more formal thread would then be of use and a lot easier to navigate with as often I've noticed once a formal topic, say George Sand, is raised in the Devoted thread, it runs its course with most regulars providing their thoughts, and dies a natural death when a new topic starts within the thread. I'm not sure a Chopin FORUM is the answer on Pianoworld - a Chopin WEBSITE yes (a whole other thing to consider), but if it were on Pianoworld, then why not a Mozart, a Beethoven a Schummann etc etc.

Page 92 of 425 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission