Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 167 of 274 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 273 274 >
Topic Options
#1266953 - 09/12/09 09:30 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Dear Dr. Kalberg: wow

Welcome, welcome and, once more, just in case I haven’t expressed myself clearly, WELCOME! To state that we are beside ourselves with astonishment would be a gross understatement. Many months ago, I tried to start a discussion of one of your papers, but it didn’t go anywhere because, I believe, it was a bit over some of our collective heads. Not all, mind you. We have some very informed and intelligent people who post here (I do not include myself in this group simply because I have to look up the definitions of many of the words expressed in many of the posts.) I came very close to meeting you at Hershey’s performance at the Polish Embassy in April of 2008. But I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Not because I don’t respect and value your scholarship but because I was afraid of looking the fool. Please do add your “two cents” when and where you deem necessary or interesting. Coming from you, the value would be more like two thousand dollars. So pleased that you have found us and drop in when you have a few moments…the coffee pot is always on. P.S. Love your sense of humor. smile

Steven: frown I don’t know what to say about that “egghead” business. How I wish I could be referred to in such a manner. But you obviously do not take it as the ultimate compliment that it was meant to convey. I thought I had sent you a PM, but I forgot. (I forget a lot these days.) That this issue is going to keep you from posting here would break my heart, for you must know how much you are treasured as one of our own. It gives me reason to pause and wonder if I am the one who shouldn’t be posting here. For let’s face it, most of what I say is fluff and silliness. I have tried everything I know of to keep this thread going. I have even resorted to games and such. I know and I agree that we should be concentrating more on Chopin’s music. And I have often asked that our members and others to do so. But it only happens once in a while. However, honestly, I see nothing wrong with people writing of just how Chopin’s music has affected them. After all, the name of this thread is “Devoted to Chopin.” So if you decide you are in more studious company in the Pianist Corner, then I wish you well. We will certainly miss you.

Liszt Addict: Remember that it is only the opinion of a few who make that final decision. I am so glad you are enjoying yourself. And I wish we were all there.

Chopin4life: I will send you a PM.

Kathleen

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1267209 - 09/12/09 06:38 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Welcome, Dr. Kallberg! It is great to have you here!

Music is my best friend.

#1267429 - 09/13/09 10:14 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Dear Kathleen,

Sorry to have missed you at Hershey's event in 2008. I hope we'll have another chance. That was a fun evening, no? Perhaps there will be some event for the Birthday Boy in 2010 in the DC area.

Jeff

#1267987 - 09/14/09 09:55 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
4000 Post Club Member

Let's hope so.

And thank you for your wonderful suggestion. Mazurkas are my favorite, so I think there will be many pleasantly surprised students in the class.

Gratefully,
Kathleen

gr

#1268044 - 09/14/09 12:05 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Greetings from Krakow! laugh

#1268089 - 09/14/09 01:36 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
What's going on in Krakow??!

#1268138 - 09/14/09 03:17 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
[sorry for interrupting as a spokesman] LA is sightseeing. ;-)
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1268209 - 09/14/09 05:00 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mati]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Believe it or not, there are many Chopin recitals/concerts here in Krakow also. But I am here to absorb some of the Polish culture like eating their foods, drinking their beers and vodka, and staying in a tiny hostel. laugh

#1268305 - 09/14/09 07:31 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
4000 Post Club Member

Hi LA: I am so glad you are having fun, food and fodka! My grandpa was born in Krakow and a couple of my aunts and uncles. You have worked so hard for so many, many months/years, it pleases me to know that you realize how important balance is. There is time for work and time for play.

If you don't mind my asking, in round numbers, what is the airfare now to Poland? I realize you probably left from New York. So what was it from there? Your answer just might influence my decision to go next year. Many thanks. heart

Kathleen

#1268308 - 09/14/09 07:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Good grief! I either can't get enough room to post a response without the screen jumping around, or I get too much.

Sorry for that white space.

Kathleen

#1268312 - 09/14/09 07:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Kathleen, I would assume something along the lines of 1000 - 1500$ both way NYC<>Warsaw. I will eagerly wait for LA's response. My estimate is based on the fares of Polish Airlines (LOT).
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1268618 - 09/15/09 10:18 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mati]
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Mati: That isn't too bad. But then I have to take into account lodgings, etc. I, also await LA's reponse.

#1268696 - 09/15/09 12:22 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
Yeah, and I'll have to pay for my daughter's trip, too.... I've been saving for a while, though.

I hope Krakow was fun. One of the Polish language courses I have takes its characters through sightseeing in Krakow, so I know a little about that now-- and almost nothing about Warsaw.

I think I've finished struggling through recording sections of 48/2. I didn't have a prayer of recording the whole thing at one go. Now I have to stick the parts together-- wish me luck.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1268821 - 09/15/09 04:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
4000 Post Club Member

thumbGood luck, Elene!

FWTW: If anyone ever says that once a person is retired, he/she will have all the time in the world to practice, DON'T BELIEVE THEM. Every morning, I set out with the best of intentions, and then fate takes over. Today, after returning from a short errand and all set to take my seat at the keyboard, I opened the door and HORRORS! all 16 of the smoke alarms in my house were blasting away. Yikes, my poor dog. My husband and I had to call the fire department because we could not detect any smoke, etc. Naturally, they pulled up in the massive Hook and Ladder. I'm sure all my neighbors thought we had a fire. It turned out to be a short in the main detector and thus it set all the others off.

Now I have to take a nap because I am exhausted from all the "excitement. grin

Kathleen

#1268852 - 09/15/09 04:56 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Good luck, Elene! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1268938 - 09/15/09 06:38 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Plane ticket - depends on how early or late you book and it could go from low $700 to around $1500-1600. It's also very difficult to find a flight in or out of Warsaw on the last minute because there are not many planes going in and out from there like you would see from other int'l airports.

Krakow - this used to be Poland's capital. Today, I went on a tour to Auschwitz. I think many of you know what that is. The place is about 35 miles west from Krakow center.

#1269161 - 09/16/09 08:29 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: LisztAddict]
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks, LA. Your info is appreciated but a bit of sad news also.

On another note: No pun intended.

Gosh, I could not believe this interpretation of Chopin's mazurka, 17, #4. I have been playing it at this tempo for some time. But when I get on youtube and listen to the greats, they all play it so fast. But in my heart, I hear it much slower. So when I came across this recording, I said to myself: thumb But then I've never heard of this pianist, so now I am wondering why?? confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaJUJeC90dQ&feature=related

What do you all think of it?

Kathleen

#1269271 - 09/16/09 12:20 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
Chopin Lovers:
Your thread has been hovering around the 5000 post mark for a couple of days now. Isn't that a new PW record? When I wrote this it was at 4996 - now at 4997. So as we say in the "Clair" thread - Bumple - bee; bumple - bee; Buzzing.. (It's a long story)
Woody

#1269313 - 09/16/09 01:16 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Woody-Woodruff]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
I know 17/4 so very thoroughly, yet I have never been quite happy with any tempo I've tried for it.

Hernandez-Estrada does play it almost shockingly slowly. He makes it convincing, though, and it's truly beautiful, though I think it does go too far to the extreme of slowness. Notice the "shaping" movements of his right hand and arm (but also how far he sticks his elbow out!).

Check out Wladyslaw Szpilman playing 17/4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFipSOjRys&feature=related

Or how about Paderewski in 1912:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RuVyTY5sl4&feature=related

Both of these are about as different from Hernandez-Estrada as could be, and both are indeed very fast. And both contain differences from the score.

One of the comments on YouTube was: "Mazurka it is not nokturne -must be optimistic. Szpilmann understood Chopin's soul and played similar to just Paderewski, who was master for Chopin interpreters in those days."

It appears that not only is this thread approaching 5000 posts, some of its members are as well!

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1269330 - 09/16/09 01:45 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
I do not feel worthy enough to take the 5000th post. I have not been here long enough. Someone else take it. Just so this is not a wasted post, how many people here have entered the Chopin 200th birthday recital on the ABF, and what are you playing, how's it going etc?

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1269370 - 09/16/09 02:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Chopin4life]
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Chopin4life:

As I submit the 5,000th post, I am overwhelmed with a sense of joy and sadness. How can I thank all of you who have made this thread what it is today? I wish you all the happiness your hearts can hold.

Not only is this the largest running tribute to the memory of one man, it is also an expression of love and admiration for a composer who has no equal. My life has been so enriched by his music that I can't even imagine a world without it. But my heart is also heavy because he will never know how his music has affected so many. Tens of thousands, throughout the centuries, have listened to his gentle musings and violent storms and have taken him as their own. He speaks to us in ways we can't explain, but we know, we know, finally.

I am teaching a class next year at the local comunity college called: "Chopin, The Man, The Music, The Myth." I haven't taught in 5 years, so I look forward to getting back into the classroom. This will be my gift to him. It will be a labor of love, and I will make every effort to open the hearts of each of my students to the beauty and passion that is Chopin.

CHOPIN RULES!

God bless,
Kathleen

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (09/16/09 05:31 PM)

#1269404 - 09/16/09 04:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Kathleen, congratulations on the 5000th post. I'd hoped it would be you. As for your sadness, remember that Our Friend at least had the experience of being appreciated in his own time even though I doubt if his full measure was taken (though Schumann had a good idea).

#1270520 - 09/18/09 01:20 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I just got the Garrick Ohlsson's box set of recordings of Chopin's Complete Works this morning. There are sixteen discs, so it will take a while to hear them all; I've been sampling this and that, partly to hear the different sounds of the Bosendorfer Imperial, Mason Hamlin CC, and Steinway (D, I presume, and since it was recorded in Warsaw I further presume it was a Hamburg, though it doesn't say).

It's probably old news to many of you, since the recordings were made between 1989 and 2000. They were originally released on Arabesque, and are now re-released as a set on the Hyperion label (B&N item no. 0034571143514). It might pay to wait for a sale, since the set wasn't exactly a Red-Tag Special. I happened to be looking for works by Ohlsson since his concert here last year; even though he lives right here, his recordings are somewhat hard to find. He gave us a wonderful concert, but I think these recordings are better than the stage performance. For one thing, the shadings of dynamics are a lot easier to appreciate, and of course the differing voices of the instruments he used, and the atmosphere of the several different halls where they were recorded.

The liner notes not only credit the instruments that were played, but the technicians as well; questions that are often asked, but seldom answered. I think it made a difference that he was contracted to perform the complete works as a whole from the outset, rather than patching together a set of various old releases from different projects.

So... since I can't join in the excitement of going off to Poland, at least I can hear some of it where I am, and without the jet-lag.

#1270939 - 09/19/09 09:11 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Clef]
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Frycek. If memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't too often), I beleive you were the very first response to this thread, so many months ago. I was and continue to be overwhelmed with the extent of your knowledge of Chopin. Those first few weeks, it was only you and me. Did we ever dream that we had started something so wonderful?

And I am sure you know that that trip to D.C. was THE experience of a lifetime for me. I doubt if we talked of anything else but Chopin. I should say that you talked; I listened. I learned so much from you, for it is always a good idea to keep one's mouth shut when in the presence of an expert. I can recall that trip almost in complete detail. Oh, then how excited you were when Hershey appeared on our thread. I can remember getting on the computer that day, and findin the message: "Kathleen, where are you?" I was actually jumping around the room with excitement. My poor hubby is used to many of my antics, but this one was new to him. Then I made the mistake of calling the Polish Embassy, and that obvisouly was a no-no. The screen won't let me type anymore. Would someone please let me know why?

#1270945 - 09/19/09 09:29 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Kathleen - how exciting that you are soon going to be teaching others about Chopin. I am sure your love and enthusiasm will win him even more devotees. Does this start in January?

#1270948 - 09/19/09 09:39 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Welcome, Jeff Cleff: smile

I believe that Garrick Ohlsson's recordings of Chopin's preludes were the very first I bought way back when I was a teen. I loved his interpretation. And still do to this day. He never received the credit he deserved. I presently own Rubinstein's complete collection (minus the etudes) and Ashkenazy's. I am hopelessly in awe of Rubinstein's performances, but I do have to say that Ashkenazy is a very close second. Budget concerns prevent me from buying any more.

You sound like quite an expert on the details of specific recordings. Do you like to compare certain performers? What do you look for? Do you follow using sheet music?

I admit that I really admire people who can do this. I tend not to make any distinctions because, quite frankly, I don't possess the knowledge of the music to do so. I just know what I like and what I don't. As I have mentioned many times, I don't care for any of Martha's recordings. Much too fast, in most instances. And Pogo - yikes. eek What planet is he from?

Post again soon. We are always happy to hear from everyone.

Kathleen

#1270960 - 09/19/09 09:58 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Hello again:

I spent all of yesterday, trying to get my course outline ready for the class on Chopin. I am lucky that I have unti next winter (spring semester) to finalize it. Wow, there is so much music I want the students to hear. Some of his most popular, of course. But many of the mazurkas, nocturnes and etudes', etc. that may not be so familiar. Pardon the analogy, but it's akin to choosing between a hot fudge sundae or a bannana split. Frankly, I could eat both!!

My best,
Kathleen

#1271126 - 09/19/09 03:56 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
I was just listening to a quartet-accompanied version of Chopin's concertos:

Kuschnerova classic radio

I don't like it at all (I mean the quartet sound as opposed to full orchestra), but thought it might be of interest. The piano part is nicely played IMO.

#1271504 - 09/20/09 11:20 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
4000 Post Club Member

Hi: MaryRose: I didn't care for it either. But then I don't like chamber music. I think it is enjoyable for the people who are taking part in it.

K

#1271739 - 09/20/09 07:03 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I agree. Chopin sounds the best for piano solo. He is THE piano master. Without him piano playing just wouldn't be what it is.

CA

Music is my best friend.

Page 167 of 274 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 273 274 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (AZNpiano, Asmodeus, Alux, beet31425, 13 invisible), 1124 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253483 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
Today at 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
Today at 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
Today at 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
Today at 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission