Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 63 of 274 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 273 274 >
Topic Options
#979304 - 05/13/07 11:10 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Oopps..had to break my promise but for a good reason.

You MUST listen to Lizst Addict performance of the 48,1

And Frank, of Piano World, did give our request for a Chopin Forum consideration. However, he believes that one more broader in scope would be better...a "Classical Composers Forum."

Well, something is better than nothing and the idea has merit. Right now, he is still thinking about it and then, perhaps, would put it up for a vote.

Right now...it's wait and see.

Kathleen

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#979305 - 05/13/07 07:52 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

Loc: France
Hey all - just checking in from Seoul, South Korea - where M. Chopin plays this week... what a place this is...!

Do I know what hour it is? Only that it is many wild hours (and maybe even days... ) ahead of some of you... what a shlep! But you take off your shoes everywhere and eat on the floor. I rather find it wonderful... and SPICY!

On my way home the other day from the Assemble Nationale in Paris (I was out for a walk) I came upon Pauline Viardot's house, and her plaque - right on Blvd, St. Germain, just at the corner of the assemble in the 7th. It really is amazing to go back in time and realize THIS is where they all were living... THIS was their town!

anyway - wishing all a very happy mother's day!

My best from Korea - H

#979306 - 05/13/07 07:55 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

Oh, and PS -

Beethoven, As I Knew Him - was announced on Friday in the national press - and here's something a little nice for this thread - the Old Globe - one of the country's oldest and most prestigious theatres has many world premieres next season - by international award winning artists, including John Doyle (Sweeney in London, on Bway and abroad...) and look who they chose to give the photo-op to...?

Our beloved Pole.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20070511-9999-1c11globe.html

\:\) H

#979307 - 05/13/07 08:02 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Let us wait and see then \:\)

Anyway, if the idea did not work out .. we can always turn into using separate threads at the pianist corner where many members are eager to participate.

And we will have them indexed on this thread of course (but only after we reach the 2000 post mark \:D )

Quote:
I don't think 2/3's of a Chopin's waltz is good enough and certainly doesn't do him justice.
LOL \:D

This sentence reminded me of my last recital when I played Chopin's nocturne (No.19). I played the first section then I jumped somehow into the 3rd section

Well, it was very smooth actually and I had to think quickly do I continue and not get caught or do I repeat from the beginning and get caught \:D
If I continue I will eat about half of the piece .. but my devotion to the composer prevented me from doing him such harm.

So I finally decided that I should return from the beginning. \:D

#979308 - 05/13/07 10:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Hersh:

Oh my...you do get around!! \:\) From Washington D.C. to Paris to Korea in just a couple of weeks. You do have to wake up some mornings wondering: "Where am I?" and now...with Beethoven just around the corner..."Who am I?"

Is this your first opportunity to perform in South Korea? I've read that Chopin is much loved by the people there. Do you have any idea of why this might be true? Or is it simply that they are extremely intelligent people who know and appreciate genius when they hear it? If you have the time, please let us know how it goes.

A big hug of congratulations on your opening at the Old Globe! That is a giant-sized honor and one richly deserved. And just why wouldn't they use that picture of M. Chopin as their photo op?? Is he not very elegant and quite handsome (watch it, MaryRose!!) as he looks out at his audience, his students? And quite frankly, a far better choice than a picture of The Grinch! Or a sweaty Joe Louis! :p

And now news about Pauline Viardot's house. I would imagine that you might also be having trouble keeping track of just what century you are living in. We do appreciate hearing about your travels. You are always so obviously amazed by it all that you make it seem very real and exciting to us also. Thank you for that.

Yikes...walking around barefoot and eating off the floor... I won't tell the Pole, if you don't.

Thanks again, Hersh. As always, wonderful to hear from you...whoever, where ever and when ever you are. \:D And...a shlep you are not, but a "raconteur," according the Old Globe. I'm not quite sure I know what that means, but it certainly sounds good! :rolleyes:

Bassio: We'll see about the forum. I've been getting some strong vibes that it's really not what some of our Devoted members want afterall. And I didn't....a few months back. So????? I think I will ask Bob to withdraw my recital piece. I've been having such attacks of guilt that I just can't submit it...incomplete.

Kathleen

#979309 - 05/14/07 01:45 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hershey, is there a CD available of Monsieur Chopin that one could order online for delivery to Australia? Any plans for a DVD release?

I plugged in Monsieur Chopin in youtube hoping by chance to catch a glimpse - no luck! But I did find a movie clip on that search that intrigued me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BgBjtI7WQ

Any ideas what movie this is - unfortunately the movie poster did not include such details!

#979310 - 05/14/07 05:26 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Aha..I answered my own question (saw Henry and Dupont in the search tags) - " A Song to Remember". I'm surprised I've not heard of it, it was nominated for 6 oscars!

#979311 - 05/14/07 08:36 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Stephenc: I remember your asking the question about ordering M. Chopin before and I just forgot to get back to you. Here is the link where you can order it. What you do is print out the order form and then mail in a check, or you can write in the number of a credit card (which I just did for Hersh's Gershwin Alone" CD.)

Here is the link to the site and click up at the far right corner to download the order form. I received my copy quite quickly and it was WONDERFUL.

To Order M. Chopin CD

Also the movie...is an old, but dear one. It is called "A Song to Remember," starring Cornel Wilde (who actually won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Chopin...although he resembles Chopin as closely as I resemble Marilyn Monroe!). The movie was fun to watch but historically really off- base. And then, of course, the music. But Sand does show her true colors, somewhat. But Paul Muni, as Chopin first teacher, is quite comical but really corny.

Yikes, I just read your second thread. Well, at least I added more information.

Kathleen

#979312 - 05/14/07 08:48 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Bassio:

Just reread your last post and wonder why the members at the Pianist Corner do not come over here?? Even though some of us are "beginners," many, like Hershey, Liszt Addict, Sotto Voce and so many, many others (please forgive me if I left anyone out) are not.

I've read many of the posts on the Pianist Corner and WOW, they are REALLY into a lot of music and performers and composers.....many of whom I've never heard. But, that's my problem! And I readily admit that my knowledge and experience is sadly lacking. But it doesn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy reading some of their ideas and opinions. And I hope I speak for some of the Chopinophiles here.

If the Pianist can remember that we are basically, semi-novices and not bowl us over with "too much of a good thing," I believe their posting here would be greatly appreciated. And naturally, it has to have something to do with Chopin, in some way or another.

Why don't you ask them to pop over for a visit once in a while, when they can...I'll have the coffee pot on.

Regards,
Kathleen

#979313 - 05/14/07 08:53 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Dear Liszt Addict:

I just am speechless (ha). Your performance of the 48.1 is spectacular. Perhaps you have given us this information before, and I apologize if I have forgotten, but could you tell us more about yourself? As many have mentioned, your talent puts you into the professional category. I think many of us would like to learn more about you, if you would care to let us know.

Regards and congrats!!
Kathleen

#979314 - 05/14/07 12:15 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

EUREKA!!

I found my missing page for the waltz. There I was...last night, I dumped both huge garbage cans on the floor of the garage, and armed with a flash light and a pair of rubber gloves, I rummaged through every piece of paper I could find. And there it was, crumpled into a ball inside some ad flyer. And, naturally, it had coffee grounds on it. So I gently washed it off and when it dried (I used my hair dryer), I had to iron it out, on very low heat. Then I had to re-record the piece with the ending, about 15 times!

So I re-submitted the piece to Bob...sounds much better than the first one.

Also, our "check-in" list is 99% done! Still haven't heard from Thalamus...hoping I will as I sent him a PM yesterday.

Thank you all for responding.

Kathleen

#979315 - 05/14/07 12:45 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
.... could you tell us more about yourself? As many have mentioned, your talent puts you into the professional category.[/b]
I think just about anyone willing to put in 6 years practicing this one Nocturne day and night should be able to play at least just as well. \:\)

About ME????????????????
I started at 11, had lessons for 2 years, then 2 years self-taught. Then had lessons for 10 years with one of the greatest teachers/pianists. Then 9 years on vacation. \:D Back and self taught for the last 6 years.

#979316 - 05/14/07 01:25 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

SIX YEARS!! Well, then not only are you to be congratulated for your talent and skill, but for your amazing patience. I guess that's the secret althought it really isn't a secret...practice, practice and then practice some more! It certainly paid off for you!! \:\) \:\)

After reading "your" story, I guess I can understand why you still might think that the ABF is the place for you. So many of us have the same tale to tell, a few years of lessons, and a lllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg vacation and then back again.

I am so glad that you decided to return. You are an inspiration!

Kathleen

#979317 - 05/14/07 02:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

I "discovered" this incredible video on the Pianist Corner. With just a little practice, I think most of us will be playing it in just a few months. \:D

Wow!

Kathleen

#979318 - 05/14/07 08:21 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
A little levity:

Brewed by The White Eagle Brewing Company (note logo is single headed white Polish eagle) circa 1940.

#979319 - 05/14/07 08:48 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

I would certain put in a bid for it, but I think it's pretty flat by now. \:D

Kathleen

#979320 - 05/15/07 10:28 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Dear Devotees:

I thought I would share with you a wonderful PM I received this morning...

Dear Kathleen/LCTM,

I am a fellow Chopinaholic who is newly registered on PW (but had been reading the forums for awhile now, especially the "Devoted" thread). I love the "Devoted" thread and have spent lots of time catching up, but agree it needs to somehow be more accessible in terms of individual topics. I was not opposed to the idea of a separate Chopin forum, but it appears others are .

So, what is the consensus? I think the alternative ("Composers' Forum") may work, but it seems the discussion has dropped off.

I have trouble understanding the opposition of others based on "fairness to other composers"- how can we be totally fair in this world??
Anyway, I've come to think of members of the "Devoted" thread as a kind of extended family, and truly hope it doesn't go away entirely! Say it isn't so!

Sincerely,

And my reply............(I added a bit of additional information)

Dear Sara:

How very wonderful to hear from you! And that you read and love the "Devoted" thread is "music" to my ears and heart! So kind of you to write and tell me of your feelings, and I truly appreciate your taking the time to do so. AND I definitely value your opinion.

Quite frankly, I don't know for sure what's happening on the thread. But I DO know that we are DEFINITELY not going away; you can count on that!! As long as I am alive this will be the case. Even if something happens to me, there are others who will "take up" the cause.

I think the opposition to a Chopin Forum, specifically, (by some members) is the fear that we will be open to many highly knowledgable and technically skilled pianists (aka...the Pianist Corner). Some have already posted on our thread, and it is quite evident to many, that the "Pianists" people are far and beyond our level of expertise. Some members have mailed me to say that they feel the "simplicity and homeiness" of the thread is slowly disappearing. And they are intiminated and no longer feel comfortable posting for fear that their ideas will pale in comparison to the "experts."

I understand what they are saying because I am also intiminated, but I think that Chopin is such a huge topic that there is room for everything having to do with him. If certain ideas are posted that are academic in nature, one can either ignore them or read and perhaps learn something, but then decide not to respond.

BUT we will always, always keep it as comfortable and entertaining as we can. Just think of Hersh's wonderful posts on his visits to Paris and the places where Chopin and Sand lived...and his excitement and enthusiasm, Frycek and my recent visit to see M. Chopin, MaryRose's posts on the concerts she attends, Bassio's great questions, recording of some of Chopin's works by some of our members, the pictures, AND NOW an actual Chopin concert of his preludes by members...ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING, and so many other tidbits of information by so many others( the initmate facts about Chopin's life that many possess is so GREAT) these and so many others' posts about him, as a man and as a musician and as our hero...are what is so appealing and so interesting to so many and is what will keep this thread going on...and on....and on!! We have been serious and sad and mad (guess about whom) and silly...all of it so precious to me and to so many others.

But it is obvious that the thread is so huge that nagivating through it getting impossible. And we want more people...new and "old" to be able to read it. So something has to be done about this, for people are no longer reading because it is too overwhelming. I tried creating an index, which helps a bit, but still isn't the answer.

If Frank (of the Piano World) doesn't grant us a Chopin thread or even a Famous Composer thread, my idea of creating a new topic that will be a total index (with direct page links to the Devoted thread) is the only recourse, as far as I can tell. I will make certain it stays on the first page. It will be called something like: "What's News on the Devoted to Chopin Thread," and in it I will keep a running index (of sorts) so people can get into it and then click on a link that interests them. As far as I can see, this is the only solution.

And if the people on the Pianists Corner are so eager to post their ideas about Chopin, they can either create their own main topic on the Pianists Corner or come over to ours. They are welcome to do so!!

Right now, we are just waiting to learn what Frank is going to do, but I have a feeling our request won't be granted. If so, then I think we will go ahead with the "What's New..." idea.

Once again, it is so gratifying to hear from people like you, who enjoy our Devoted thread. Thank you so much for writing, and if you don't mind, I am going to refer to your note (I won't use your name) because it will make so many members very happy.

By the Way...I LOVE your name.

Most sincerely,
Kathleen

This PM is only one of several I have received, but I think it is such a perfect example of how so many people feel...those who read and post on the thread and those who just read it.

I hope my response didn't hurt anyone's feelings, for, I hope you know me by now, that I wouldn't do that for the world. I was just trying to state the facts as they appear to me (and I definitely could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time).

And, as I written in my letter to her, I think we just might have to go with the new topic, which will be a great way for people to see what new ideas have been posted and then it will allow them to link to them directly to them.

If anyone has a better idea...please, please let me know. (This is, of course, if we don't get the Chopin Forum or Famous Composer's Forum...I don't think we should hold our breath on this though. \:D )

I will be re-cooping for about 6 weeks after my surgery, so this will be a perfect time for me to start that project...that is, if the majority of you agree that it is the way to go.

With the deepest regards to all and thank you for "wading" through this novelette!!

Kathleen

#979321 - 05/15/07 11:28 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

deleted

#979322 - 05/15/07 11:26 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Hershey88 Offline

For your amusement - I received this from Dr. Jeff Kallberg - part of our ongoing "Chopiniana..."

\:\) \:\) \:\)

http://www.astrotheme.fr/en/portraits/4gzXPV33d92U.htm

#979323 - 05/16/07 06:12 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Kathleen/LisztAddict, thank you for the link to the 48.1 Nocturne, I'm waiting for a recording of all the Chopin Nocturne's by you, LisztAddict !

Do you mind telling us, who was your teacher ?

Hershey, I'll need some time before I read the Astrology, maybe I'm just a sceptical Capricorn..

MaryRose and Frycek, I missed you both at the recital, I am sure you have both been practicing a lot and I'd love to hear !

Ragnhild

#979324 - 05/16/07 07:34 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Hersh: \:\)

Of course you know that we here on the Devoted thread don't believe in the so-called science of astrology :rolleyes: (ha...are you kidding!). The horoscopes are usally the first thing I look for when reading a newspaper. \:D

And thank Dr. Kallberg for sending it to you...it proves he is just as "gushy" as we are, only a whole lot smarter.

Wow..is all I can say for now. I hope you don't mind, but I did a little cutting and pasting and here is the "meat of the matter" regarding Chopin and the "stars and planets."

(I have to read it now, for it took me a while to do the "editing," but it certainly looks a little spooky in its accuracy.)

Chopin's Astrological Chart...(for more detailed information, check on Hershey's link above).

Frédéric, the predominance of planets in the Northern hemisphere prompts you to reflect and imagine rather than show your actions whilst you avoid public recognition. So, in order to moderate this state of affairs, if you wish to do so, it is up to you to force your nature to act in broad daylight, communicate and impose yourself... you will then go forward in this concrete life and enjoy your new acquired situation.

The predominance of planets in the Western hemisphere of your chart means you are rather flexible, empathetic, convivial and communicative. An excellent factor for many professional activities or for your social or sentimental life for example.
A clear asset... provided that you rarely find yourself in the centre of decisions you must take in your life : you can be tempted to listen to the last one who spoke and your flexibility won't always get you out of the tight spot. You are therefore advised to learn to decide alone, to cope with the consequences of your actions with courage and no regrets. This attitude will allow you to combine flexibility and action, adaptability and absence of hesitation.

Frédéric, the North-western quadrant, consisting of the 4th, 5th and 6th houses, is the most pronounced in your chart : this sector brings out creativity, conception and a deepening apprenticeship in the will to be useful and favours relation to people. You need the others in your way of life although you are not very expansive : creating, innovating, thinking, that's what matters the most to you because this way of expression enriches you and is self-sufficient.

The predominance of Water signs indicates a high sensitivity and an elevation of sentiment, Frédéric. Your heart and your emotions are your driving forces and you can't do anything on this Earth if you don't fully feel an affective charge (as a matter of fact the word "feeling" is essential in your psychology). Action and comprehension cannot be achieved if you don't love or feel anything and sometimes, to the detriment of your vulnerability you should learn to fight.
Frédéric, The Fire is dominant in your birth chart and makes you intuitive, energetic, courageous, self-confident and enthusiastic! You are passionately inclined and are able to assert your willpower, to go forward and ride against the tide, to reach your goals and your dreams. The relative weakness of this element is a kind of boldness and rashness that sometimes makes it difficult for you to stand back.

The Mutable mode is the most pronounced in your birth chart which reveals a mobile character that is curious and thirsty for new experiences and evolution. You are lively and flexible, you like to react quickly to solicitations but don't confuse mobility with agitation, this is the danger with this configuration - and with you, there's no way of stagnating. Security doesn't matter as long as you're not bored. You optimize, change things, change yourself... all of this in a speedy way.

According to the disposition and qualities of your planets and angles, you're rather influenced by the YIN energy, the passive polarity: you are quite introvert, imaginative and sometimes discreet, but you are a deep and wise person who's not content with just noisy and flashy things. At times, you doubt but you think those who don't are a bit... thoughtless. Let yourself go and put your reserve aside for a just equilibrium is always saner.

The cadent houses, namely the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th ones are the most important in your chart. They indicate potential communication, adaptability, flexibility. These houses are symbolically linked to the mind and intellect. The relative weakness implied by these characteristics reveals your tendency to hesitate or to be indecisive, but also your remarkable ability to start off again, a nice quality: you can easily get yourself out of a tight spot thanks to your mobility and casualness, in the best sense of the term. This group of houses corresponds to evolutive characteristics of the personality. However, these are just some indications you must put in relation to the rest of your chart that could or could not validate them!

The three most important planets in your chart are Neptune, Mercury and Pluto.
With Neptune being one of your three dominant planets, it makes you a secret and ambiguous person who is often confused or unclear about her own motivations! Indeed, you're endowed with imagination and inspiration, with an extreme sensibility making you clairvoyant at times. On the other hand, your impressionability is such that you can have difficulty separating what's concrete and solid from illusions or dreams.
Mystic, visionary or poetic-minded, you dream awake like any Neptunian and you see what few people can see, all of this shrouded in mist with an aesthetic flair if you're fired with enthusiasm.
A boundless man like you, thirsty for infinity, is inevitably likely to be more vulnerable and easily hurt because of his acute perception of events. In such cases, you're directly affected and can sink into gloomy daydreaming and dark melancholy.
That said, this mysterious aura surely gives you an indefinable charm in the eyes of your surroundings and they are often fascinated by this unique ability you have to feel, to see what ordinary people will never see!
With Mercury as a dominant planet, you are certainly intellectual, nervous, quick, curious, lively-spirited, and love to communicate. Your psychological pattern is mental, and all the more so since Mercury is important, bringing with it assets but also weaknesses, obviously.
Your sensitivity, emotions, heart's outbursts come after reflection, which can lead people to think you're a playful and witty but heartless person, intellectualising situations and juggling with words and numbers whilst ignoring the human aspect of things. Of course, they say the cat always lands on its feet - this is your Mercurian strength and your best asset !
Your weakness lies in your nervousness and it happens that sometimes you miss your goal by "mentalizing" too much. You could forget other kind of energies such as instinct, spontaneity, heart, sensitivity, etc.
With Pluto as a dominant planet in your chart, you are a kind of a magnetic and powerful predator, rather like the Scorpio sign ruled by this planet, who needs to exert pressure on others in order to "test" them. You're always ready to evolve, to risk destruction for reconstruction - including your own -, to live more intensely whilst imposing your secret authority on things and people that you come across in your life.
You can pass for wicked, cruel or too bossy but you actually just follow your instinct, you sound people out and like to exert your domination simply because your vital energy is too powerful to stay inside. You're a passionately inclined being with hidden motivations. You are often misunderstood but one of your great Plutonian assets is to go successfully through each life ordeal with an ever growing strength.
éé

Pisces makes up part of your dominant signs and brings your personality an unlimited source of emotions, dreams, imagination, sensitivity to such an extent that you literally swim in a cloudy ocean of delightful impressions. These impressions are so intense and overwhelming that you don't really need to act concretely, to show your dynamism or willpower, you already live so intensely with what you feel inside - you are as keen as a radar always on alert! That's why some may not like your carelessness, your lack of clarity in your opinions or acts; however they quickly notice your artistic talents, your poetic or artistic side, and your total lack of wickedness. Besides, you feel compassion for people in pain - empathy is a great quality you have. Thanks to your flexibility, your intuition and generosity, you may spend a big part of your life helping others. And if you are creative or have well known artistic talents, everybody will forgive your little flaws: absent-mindedness, lack of energy or will, a too dreamy temperament...
Sagittarius, an adventurous and conquering fire sign, is dominant in your chart: you are enthusiastic, undertaking, optimistic, very sociable and mobile - you have itchy feet both physically and mentally. Nobody is bored with you because you're always planning things and suggesting excursions, at least... when you're there and not already on a trip! Evidently, so much thrill in one man can scare people off and some could even blame this on your brutality or tendency to loose your temper, but you're so warm and genuine, so expansive, isn't this a good thing? And all the more so since your sense of humour is overwhelming...
Arian blood runs through your veins! You hold that enthusiasm, frankness, courage and fastness which usually makes you so likeable in spite of your somewhat rough, naive or violent side. Furthermore, the Aries leaping fire will always give you the impulsion to make new starts if you were ever mistaken or underwent important difficulties in your life!

Your 6th house is quite valorised and indicates an interest in work, a daily occupation that takes up a lot of your time: in analogy with Virgo, this house inclines you to perfectionism, apprenticeship; in a way, you can fulfil yourself by being useful, investing your energy in your work. This can be expressed through an interest for your surroundings - your colleagues - or a passion for one of these daily occupations. The medical field or pets can play a role in your life; or ancillary love affairs, for example... This is at least one of the possibilities meant by an important 6th house.
With an important 4th house in your chart, your private life, your intimacy, your family and home, play a fundamental role. Your security and your family unit, the one you come from but also the one you create by marrying and having children - or even living alone in your warm home.. - are necessary for you to blossom. Tradition indicates that your father can play an important role in your life.
Your 8th house is very pronounced: this house, the most complex one in the zodiac, firstly symbolizes passion and transformation, which often go together. Indeed, you have a tendency to exceed yourself by overstepping conventions because you want to understand everything, even what is... forbidden. This house relates to complex spheres such as sexuality, possessions and dispossessions that don't depend on you (inheritance, donations, sudden financial lost), death too - not yours in particular, don't worry! -, understanding of hidden or occult things: these are fields that affect you generally, whether because you are naturally interested in it or are involved in spite of yourself.

If you got through all this..please respond with any comments you might have. I imagine there should be a lot. And...for those who are really, really knowledgable about Chopin's life, it would be great if you could supply some specific examples that either dispute or agree with the above.

Kathleen

#979325 - 05/16/07 08:08 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Kathleen, thanks for taking the trouble to cut and paste Chopin's astrology chart! Intrigued, I went on to that site and retrieved the chart for George Sand. It said:

George, the predominance of planets in the Northern hemisphere prompts you to reflect and imagine rather than show your actions whilst you avoid public recognition. So, in order to moderate this state of affairs, if you wish to do so, it is up to you to force your nature to act in broad daylight, communicate and impose yourself... you will then go forward in this concrete life and enjoy your new acquired situation.
The predominance of planets in the Western hemisphere of your chart means you're rather flexible, empathetic, convivial and communicative. An excellent factor for many professional activities or for your social or sentimental life for example.
A clear asset... provided that you rarely find yourself in the centre of decisions you must take in your life : you can be tempted to listen to the last one who spoke and your flexibility won't always get you out of the tight spot. You are therefore advised to learn to decide alone, to cope with the consequences of your actions with courage and no regrets. This attitude will allow you to combine flexibility and action, adaptability and absence of hesitation.
The predominance of Water signs indicates a high sensitivity and an elevation of sentiment, George. Your heart and your emotions are your driving forces and you can't do anything on this Earth if you don't fully feel an affective charge (as a matter of fact the word "feeling" is essential in your psychology). Action and comprehension cannot be achieved if you don't love or feel anything and sometimes, to the detriment of your vulnerability you should learn to fight.

Sound familiar? At that point I stopped reading.....

#979326 - 05/16/07 09:26 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

I took some points and tried my best to comment on them. It's rather long, so save it for when you have some time.

The quotes are from the reading. My opinion is in following the paragraph.

“prompts you to reflect and imagine rather than show your actions whilst you avoid public recognition. So, in order to moderate this state of affairs, if you wish to do so, it is up to you to force your nature to act in broad daylight, communicate and impose yourself... you will then go forward in this concrete life and enjoy your new acquired situation. “

It would appear (at least to me) that Chopin was happy being “out of the limelight” and wouldn’t take any steps to get him there.

“means you are rather flexible, empathetic, convivial and communicative.”

I believe Chopin was quite empathetic, as shown in his letter. As far as the other qualities, I don’t think so.

“You are therefore advised to learn to decide alone, to cope with the consequences of your actions with courage and no regrets. This attitude will allow you to combine flexibility and action, adaptability and absence of hesitation.”

Although he often made his own decisions, I believe the decision to live with Sand was “forced” on him because of his need for love and attention. And he certainly did “cope” with the consequences of his actions with courage and (as M. Chopin stated) no regrets. However, we at the Devoted thread have the regrets that he never had.

“brings out creativity, conception and a deepening apprenticeship in the will to be useful and favours relation to people. You need the others in your way of life although you are not very expansive : creating, innovating, thinking, that's what matters the most to you because this way of expression enriches you and is self-sufficient.”

Most definitely true!!

“indicates a high sensitivity and an elevation of sentiment, Frédéric. Your heart and your emotions are your driving forces and you can't do anything on this Earth if you don't fully feel an affective charge (as a matter of fact the word "feeling" is essential in your psychology). Action and comprehension cannot be achieved if you don't love or feel anything and sometimes, to the detriment of your vulnerability you should learn to fight Frédéric.”

Oh boy…right on the money.

“makes you intuitive, energetic, courageous, self-confident and enthusiastic! You are passionately inclined and are able to assert your willpower, to go forward and ride against the tide, to reach your goals and your dreams. “

Did this woman know Chopin or what???

The relative weakness of this element is a kind of boldness and rashness that sometimes makes it difficult for you to stand back.”

Yes, true. For example, the business with Sand’s daughter and Chopin getting in the middle of the mother-daughter relationship. Standing up for Solange and trying to help her brought about the end of the Sand-Chopin affair (so so many think). Although Sand was through with Chopin quite a while before that.

“Security doesn't matter as long as you're not bored. You optimize, change things, change yourself... all of this in a speedy way.”

Sorry, not true. He didn’t like change. Security was extremely important to Chopin, evident in his need for a home life. While he might have confessed boredom at times, it was when he was ill and unable to compose. But when he was well, his music kept him quite happy and content.

“you're rather influenced by the YIN energy, the passive polarity: you are quite introvert, imaginative and sometimes discreet, but you are a deep and wise person who's not content with just noisy and flashy things. At times, you doubt but you think those who don't are a bit... thoughtless. Let yourself go and put your reserve aside for a just equilibrium is always saner.”

Chopin could very well fall into what we call today as “passive-aggressive.” He could get his way by doing absolutely nothing. People fell over themselves to do his bidding and please him. While some might think of him as a “dandy” because of his love for clothes/fashion, these were only outward trappings that he considered what was required of a gentleman and an artist. And yes, he hated anything that was overly done, whether it was in music or in actions. Poor Schumann…when he wrote in his paper: “Hats off, gentleman, a genius.” Chopin was quite embarrassed by this and thought Schumann rather a fool. Chopin was, indeed, deep…but maybe not always wise, at least in his choice of Sand. But think of how brave and wise he was to leave home at the age of 19 to “seek his fortune.” He knew he was a genius and he intended to prove it to the world. And his decision (with the help of others) not to return home to Poland for he would probably be killed. But some other actions that brought him grief. But then one can’t always be perfect. And as far as letting himself go…he most certainly did, when he was with friends with whom he felt comfortable…his lifelong friend, Jan, Delacroix, the Polish emigrants who lived in Paris, going out in the evening and having a good time, improvising for hours on the piano to the delight of his friends and entertaining them with wonderful imitations of Liszt and other publicly known figures. He was quite the “showman,” when he wanted to be. One of his teachers thought he should give up music and be an actor. He could be extremely charming, witty (sometimes caustically) and gay [happy!] and a lot of fun to be around.

“The relative weakness implied by these characteristics reveals your tendency to hesitate or to be indecisive,” Ah yes, so true. One example…the countless “revisions” to his music, taking forever to make up his mind about most things, small and large. Giving great thought to take 4 years of piano lessons when he was already on top of his game. Luckily, he came to his senses and decided not to…but only after his father and many others told him it was not a good idea.

“Indeed, you're endowed with imagination and inspiration, with an extreme sensibility making you clairvoyant at times. On the other hand, your impressionability is such that you can have difficulty separating what's concrete and solid from illusions or dreams. Mystic, visionary or poetic-minded, you dream awake like any Neptunian and you see what few people can see, all of this shrouded in mist with an aesthetic flair if you're fired with enthusiasm.”

So true. Chopin often had dreams or saw visions…the one of his beloved family being horribly tortured and murdered by the Russians. And, of course…the greatest example…his music. I, for one…and I don’t think I’m alone, believe that so much of his music is not of this world…it’s of the future…a future we have yet to experience.

“A boundless man like you, thirsty for infinity, is inevitably likely to be more vulnerable and easily hurt because of his acute perception of events. In such cases, you're directly affected and can sink into gloomy daydreaming and dark melancholy.”

The word “zal” comes into play here. Chopin often did sink into deep periods of despair and melancholy. But, from these period of darkness did arise some of the world’s most beautiful music.

“Your sensitivity, emotions, heart's outbursts come after reflection, which can lead people to think you're a playful and witty but heartless person, intellectualising situations and juggling with words and numbers whilst ignoring the human aspect of things. Of course, they say the cat always lands on its feet - this is your Mercurian strength and your best asset !”

Chopin was often thought of as aloof and reserved. But only by those who did not know him.

“Your weakness lies in your nervousness and it happens that sometimes you miss your goal by "mentalizing" too much. ”

Chopin did not like to perform before large audience…maybe nervousness, but more from his experience of playing in a more intimate setting where he felt he was among friends. He said he felt the eyes of strangers glaring at him, and he didn’t like it (mentalizing too much?)

“you are a kind of a magnetic and powerful predator, rather like the Scorpio sign ruled by this planet, who needs to exert pressure on others in order to "test" them. You're always ready to evolve, to risk destruction for reconstruction - including your own -, to live more intensely whilst imposing your secret authority on things and people that you come across in your life.”

I certainly wouldn’t call Chopin a powerful predator (or a predator at all, for that matter), but I believe he did test people to determine their allegiance. And again, the risk he took by leaving home, for a possible “reconstruction” to a well-known and respected composer (and pianist).

“You can pass for wicked, cruel or too bossy but you actually just follow your instinct, you sound people out and like to exert your domination simply because your vital energy is too powerful to stay inside. You're a passionately inclined being with hidden motivations. You are often misunderstood but one of your great Plutonian assets is to go successfully through each life ordeal with an ever growing strength.”

Answered above…and mostly true.

“These impressions are so intense and overwhelming that you don't really need to act concretely, to show your dynamism or willpower, you already live so intensely with what you feel inside - you are as keen as a radar always on alert! That's why some may not like your carelessness, your lack of clarity in your opinions or acts; however they quickly notice your artistic talents, your poetic or artistic side, and your total lack of wickedness. Besides, you feel compassion for people in pain - empathy is a great quality you have. Thanks to your flexibility, your intuition and generosity, you may spend a big part of your life helping others. And if you are creative or have well known artistic talents, everybody will forgive your little flaws: absent-mindedness, lack of energy or will, a too dreamy temperament…”

All, pretty much, true in most aspect.

“Evidently, so much thrill in one man can scare people off and some could even blame this on your brutality or tendency to loose your temper, but you're so warm and genuine, so expansive, isn't this a good thing? And all the more so since your sense of humour is overwhelming…”

The fact that Chopin did lose his temper is well-known…throwing a chair, breaking a pencil…storming off when someone insisted one of his mazurkas was in the wrong tempo. But such little things, really. He certainly was NOT brutal! And again…a great sense of humour.

“With an important 4th house in your chart, your private life, your intimacy, your family and home, play a fundamental role. Your security and your family unit, the one you come from but also the one you create by marrying and having children - or even living alone in your warm home.. - are necessary for you to blossom. Tradition indicates that your father can play an important role in your life.”

How Chopin did yearn for a strong family life, like the one from which he came. Sad, that he never had children, which I think would have made him extremely happy and complete. And yes, his father did play a very important role in his life. He respected and loved him and while he valued his advice, Chopin didn’t always follow it, especially when told he should save his money and think of the future. Chopin died in an apartment, which rent was paid by someone else. Basically, he died broke. This would not have made his father happy.

“a tendency to exceed yourself by overstepping conventions because you want to understand everything, even what is... forbidden. This house relates to complex spheres such as sexuality, possessions and dispossessions that don't depend on you (inheritance, donations, sudden financial lost), death too - not yours in particular, don't worry! -, understanding of hidden or occult things: these are fields that affect you generally, whether because you are naturally interested in it or are involved in spite of yourself.”

Ah…I don’t think so!!

Ok…this took me some time to do. And I am NOT an expert on Chopin’s life or character, but I took a shot at it.

If any one of would just like to bring out one particular point and expound on it…that would be great. We need to get a good discussion going…how about it??

Hersh:[/b] What about you? Anything in particular you would like to point out?

Kathleen

#979327 - 05/16/07 10:08 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Yikes...MaryRose, how strange. Were Chopin and Sand born on the same date??

No, just kidding.

I looked up a few celebs and yes, there were certain "pat phrases" used here and there (I suppose if the person were born in just the right conjuction as someone else or whatever (?)), but, for the most part, the chart was relatively unique for each individual. However, I couldn't get mine to take. Guess because I'm not a celebrity. \:\(

Kathleen

#979328 - 05/17/07 07:52 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
I don't believe it.

This is a real RCA album, sold by Amazon, Shacking Up To Chopin .

WT

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#979329 - 05/17/07 08:56 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

and

and to think of the great names performing...

Should I be surprised? There is a new TV series coming out called: "Knocked Up!"

Next there will be an music album called: "Knocked up due to Shacking Up with Chopin."

Will this crudeness ever end?

Kathleen \:\(

#979330 - 05/17/07 02:48 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Horreur! And it says "Adult Content". Does that mean there is a voice-over or sound effects or something?

#979331 - 05/17/07 03:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Will this crudeness ever end?[/b]
We should probably be thankful they're marketing this with a relatively innocuous euphemism like "shacking up." As bad as it is, it could be worse still!

Re MaryRose's comment about sound effects: ROFL! Yipes.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#979332 - 05/17/07 03:20 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Gosh...you all are quick. I was just going to erase my "unlady-like" post. I didn't want to offend anyone.

Yes, MaryRose...it does give one pause to ponder just why "it" would contain other than Chopin's beautiful music played by some of the world's greatest pianist. I just can't see how something like this could be released without the approval of those artists. I know some are dead, but what about their heirs or such.

Very strange.

Kathleen

#979333 - 05/17/07 03:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Looks like you are right, MaryRose. Here is what I found out about the label "Explicit Lyrics."

The "Explicit Lyrics" tag is equivalent to the "Parental Advisory" slug that appears on the cover of certain CDs. The slug is a label provided by the Recording Industry Association of America that denotes the presence of strong language or depictions of sex, violence, or substance abuse. The decision to label specific CDs is made by recording companies in conjunction with the artists.

Also...Chopin is not alone. There are also albums called: "Bedroom Beethoven" and "Making Out to Mozart".

Here is one of 6 reviews of the album. (All but one of the reviewers found it disgusting and shocking, etc.) Question is: Why did they even consider buying it???

Andre Previn has already registered his disgust with the "concept" behind this compilation. One can be sure Vladimir Horowitz would be equally appalled about it if he were alive today.
This CD is just the latest example of how RCA, a once great classical label, his descended into intellectual and musical bankruptcy--and why they have almost no one on their roster today. They should be ashamed for foisting this tripe upon the public, but apparently they have no shame. The thought of Chopin's immortal music as background for "shacking up" boggles the mind!

Thank goodness, we still have "sane" people in this world, I think. :rolleyes:

Kathleen

Page 63 of 274 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 273 274 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (36251, ando, Akshay, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1301 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
04/19/14 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission