2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 138 of 425 1 2 136 137 138 139 140 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Again, another lump...Frycek.

I finally got my prelude recording into Greg. And I don't mind admitting that when I heard the final playback (after about 24+ tries), I was in tears. Part of it, I know, was that I actually played this piece that I so adored. But the other part was that the music was overpowering. It is so simple in its charm and elegance, but underneath (as Schumann said)...guns under roses. Those final bass notes sounding almost like the grim reaper.

So many have pondered why he and his music are so beloved. I can only guess at the answer, at least for me. There is, in all he wrote ,a profound sense of aloneness. How we are all born alone and die alone. And although many of his compositions are light and lovely, if one listens closely, one can hear it even in these. Perhaps it is the melancholy that get us and reminds us that while life is beautiful, it is also very sad and oh so fleeting.

I better stop now as I am getting too maudin.

My sister and her husband are going to Europe next year for a month. They are going to make Paris their "home base," while traveling to other places. My sister asked if I wanted to join them. Because of some problems at home, I can't make such a huge commitment. But I told her that all I really wanted to do was to visit Chopin's grave and put flowers there. That would be so worth the trip.

(Oh, then I could call Hershey and we could "do" lunch!) laugh

Time to take my dog to the groomer.

Deep affection to all,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

Bassio: You have been all over the place today, and I am so glad you landed on the DtC thread. smile I know I say this many times, but we certainly miss our regulars, like you and Sotto Voce, and Ragnhild, and Hershey (oh my gosh, my memory is giving out :rolleyes: ...well, you know who are.)
How is all? smile

I had an exam, just finished yesterday. I miss the days of logging in and posting daily. wink

But you all know that I'm not going anywhere!! wink

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
We all hope your exam went well, Bassio. We do miss you a lot but know you have more important things to do right now. So you are forgiven.

For those of you who are Rubinstein's fans, I found this on the Internet and it would certainly be worth a trip to Poland to see it in person.

[Linked Image]

culpture of Artur Rubinstein on Piotrkowska Street in Łódź

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The Poles do love their pianists!

Paderewski statue in the ground of the Polish Embassy, Washington DC

[Linked Image]

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
smile smile smile

I have to share this with you.

My daughter was recently promoted and her job now entails much more traveling. She is leaving on Monday for Denmark for 10 days.

Anyhow, as I was talking to her over the phone just now, I kept saying "Showpinhagen." I knew it didn't sound right, but I couldn't figure out how I was mispronouncing it.

"Mom, it's Co-pen-ha-gen, not Cho-pin-ha gen!" laugh laugh

Good grief, one could certainly say I am a bit obsessed with our hero. :rolleyes:

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Query - do we have any statues of any American pianists around?

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
THANK YOU SO MUCH, Frycek, for the photo of Paderewski. Here I had my camera with me but was so overwhelmed with everything that I never took a picture of it.

Gosh, I have no idea if we Americans have any statues erected to pianists. I tend to doubt it. We do love to put up those of statesmen and warriors and perhaps a literary person here and there.

Oh, wait a minute! I think I saw one of Van Cliburn somewhere, probably in Texas where he holds his annual competitions. I am going to check. I would think that the Texas (Texas has a Chopin Society, BTW) would be very proud of their native son and do something to show their pride.

Back later,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well, here it is. A statue of Van Cliburn [Linked Image]

Too small.

But, the statue is in Moscow! What is wrong with us Americans, anyhow? :rolleyes:

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've not had much computer time lately but have missed the Chopin thread! Glancing over the ABF topics, it seems as though "Devoted to Chopin" is a rootstock from which a number of flowering shoots have appeared. Soon we will have a whole Chopin garden smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Ah yes, all roses to be sure (ooopppss), make that violets. smile

I firmly believe that once people (most people, that is) hear his music, it is almost impossible not be be taken away by it. There is something for everyone. Sweet and lovely... light and bright, haunting and dark, bold and angry, sad and despairing. It's all there, waiting to be heard and cherished. heart

He's the man! laugh

Kathleen

Something is bugging me for a while, and when I was reading the Mazurka thread I read somebody joking about it but I find it a real question. So I address it to this thread with all the academics of Chopin:

Why are there no easy pieces from Chopin. Bach could do it, Mozart could do it, and I could go on the list of great composers that did make very great music but also very nice and often very well constructed simple pieces like menuets, bourre, entree, polonaises etc..

And don't tell me the Waltz #19 posth. in A-minor is easy. wink I tried that and the first page is easy (the jumps are tricky but doable), but after that....

Or is their somewhere a book with the "simple" 1/2 page pieces from Chopin I missed? laugh

Kawai K6
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Just a thought - - I think most of Bach's easy pieces (some of which were written specifically for his numerous offspring) originally were written for harpsichord. I don't know if that has any bearing or not but I suspect it does because many things possible on a piano are not possible on a harpsichord. Also Chopin didn't write with an agenda, ever. He wrote what was in him to write. He may not have written any/many "easy" pieces but he never wrote any deliberately difficult ones either, unlike Liszt, who later found he had to simplify his original versions of the Transcendental Etudes because no on else could play them.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not the Chopin scholar Frycek is, but didn't Chopin write some of his pieces specifically for his students, who were mostly amateurs? There aren't any real "baby" pieces (unlike for Bach), but some are definitely on the simpler side.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
THe Nocturne Op 9 No 2 - he had his students work on that -
and on the other nocturnes too if I'm not mistaken

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good question and I think one that has been asked before, a long time ago.

I agree with Frycek that Chopin just wrote what he felt with no thought to whoever might be playing his music. When he was giving lessons (and this I have some question about), he had his students play other composers' music, never Bach's however. Nor did he have his "average" students play his own that very often. (Maybe he was afraid of how they would murder it, who knows. And with Bach, being his hero, the same thing.) This was taken from the book: "Chopin, as a teacher, as seen by his pupils." Many students wrote that he used the music of other composers the most often.

Chopin definitely wrote pieces that a student with a couple of years experience (maybe less, depending on the student) could play. The 4 preludes are an example. Certainly easy to play but not easy to interpret correctly. There are a couple of easier mazurkas also.

Chopin was his own man, and even though he depended greatly on the monies he received from the compositions he sold (and he put a very high value on all of them), he never wrote for the "mass market." It just wasn't his style.

Called it a bit arrogant, perhaps, but I don't believe this. If you can equate him with an artist for example. Does a serious painter paint what he "thinks" the people will buy? I doubt it.

I can only assume that since his music was so much in demand, that there must have been a huge number of people at that time who were skilled pianists. A piano in every home (even some of the most modest dwellings) was commonplace. And since there was little else to do (no TV or video games, etc.), music was quite the mainstay of entertainmennt back then.

Too bad things have changed. In my opinion, (and I am speaking generally, of course), people have gotten lazy. It's much easier and less of a challenge to the brain to get that remote control and stare at a screen for hours on end. Or to use your thumb to see how many people you can mame or kill. Instant gratification.

I am reading a very fine book by Seymour Bernstein. The last chapter deals with the "amateur" pianist and how they are to be so admired for their dedication to music. Most, certainly, have jobs that use up a lot of their engery, and yet, as exhausted as they are after a day's work, they are "compelled" to sit at the piano and play. It is (I'm paraphrasing here) their desire to make sense of the world around them. To bring order out of the chaos and thus beauty to their lives and their world. To become one with the universe (wow, heavy stuff here).

That it takes every fiber of one's brain power and physical strength, sometimes, to be able to recreate the world's most lovely sounds on the piano, makes them (in my estimation) the true heros in this world.

And yes, I agree that the A minor waltz is not that easy. I think because of several measures within, that it should be a 6. This, after having struggled with those measures for quite a long time.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano Again:
I'm not the Chopin scholar Frycek is, but didn't Chopin write some of his pieces specifically for his students, who were mostly amateurs? There aren't any real "baby" pieces (unlike for Bach), but some are definitely on the simpler side.
I'm definitely not a Chopin scholar except as far as his life is concerned but it's a misconception to dismiss Chopin's amateurs as beginning to intermediate players. One had to audition for him and he was quite picky. He could afford to be as he was the most sought after teacher in Paris. He didn't take beginners or children with the sole exception of Carl Filtsch who had he lived might've been the next Liszt. His amateurs were serious amateurs putting in long hours of practice. (Chopin recommended no more than three hours a day to one student who was getting stale from overwork putting in six.) Some of his "amateurs" had reached such a high standard that only their rank in life prevented them from professional performance. And many of his students, while not celebrated concert artists, were working musicians and respected teachers.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
double post

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Considering how "picky" he was, I thought the following was rather generous of him.

If he heard that a person who was not his student was going around telling people that he was his student, Chopin would only shrug and say something like: "Well, if it does him good then what's the harm?"

To be a student of Chopin's was considered a very outstanding "achievement."

I, personally, wouldn't take such a kind view of it.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"I don't know him but if it does him some good to be thought my student, let him remain so."
Chopin knew first hand how hard it could be for even the very talented to get noticed as a musician and composer from his lean early days in Paris.

[Linked Image]
Thank you for the elaborated answers. When I read them I was thinking.. but he must have some "early" work less complex or some "try-out" pieces something like that. Then I searched the internet and found that he did write his first polonaises at age of 7. Well... so much for early work wink I think it is to bad because I truly in love with all those baby pieces and adding a Chopin to them would be very nice.

Kathleen wrote: I am reading a very fine book by Seymour Bernstein. The last chapter deals with the "amateur" pianist and how they are to be so admired for their dedication to music. Most, certainly, have jobs that use up a lot of their energy, and yet, as exhausted as they are after a day's work, they are "compelled" to sit at the piano and play. It is (I'm paraphrasing here) their desire to make sense of the world around them. To bring order out of the chaos and thus beauty to their lives and their world. To become one with the universe (wow, heavy stuff here).

That it takes every fibre of one's brain power and physical strength, sometimes, to be able to recreate the world's most lovely sounds on the piano, makes them (in my estimation) the true hero’s in this world
Didn't know Seymour Bernstein…. (just starting to learn about all that classical stuff) but he does about me I see.. laugh But your right on the money about the time spending these days. Although I don't have a tv I never think in such a poetic manner about playing the piano wink however I will do my best to uphold the responsibility that comes with being a hero laugh laugh . Sorry had to make a joke at the expense of your magnificent writing smile

Kawai K6
Page 138 of 425 1 2 136 137 138 139 140 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission