Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#982636 - 12/30/04 06:59 AM Practice planner/journal
markallen Offline

Loc: Stanwood, WA
Several posts on Cindy's Master of your Domain thread mentioned the need for and use of a planner/journal to record practice, goals, successes etc.

This got me to thinking (doesn't take much, huh?) does such a thing commercially exist? Is it something we could put together as a group and then share? What type of things should be included?

I just happen to have access to a pretty creative design department and a whole bunch of printing equipment. If a group of us wanted to collaborate on such an endeavor maybe we could come up with something really cool.

Any thoughts??

New sig line in the works....

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#982637 - 12/30/04 07:11 AM Re: Practice planner/journal
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
I would love something like that, I'm very anal about keeping track of things, I have kept a running log since 1978, and there are tons of those out there available commercially. That's why I thought there might be something available in the piano world. Seems like there is a market for it. I'm fairly new at this though so i'm not sure I have many good suggestions on what it should contain.

#982638 - 12/30/04 11:16 AM Re: Practice planner/journal
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
While doing a Google search, I found a musician's practice log that may work for some:

Practice Log

I'm using a simple notebook with grids for now...... \:\)

#982639 - 12/30/04 11:27 AM Re: Practice planner/journal
markallen Offline

Loc: Stanwood, WA
Thanx!! That looks like a good resource. I was hoping to build something that was really easy to use that a person could pre-plan a week, month, quarter etc. and then have a way to quickly see how they were progressing. I'm thinking more a planner to be proactive to help a person make thier plan and achive thier goals more than a log to just keep track of practice sessions.

New sig line in the works....

#982640 - 12/30/04 12:25 PM Re: Practice planner/journal
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Oh I like that! I may have to get one of those. Thanks!

#982641 - 12/30/04 06:08 PM Re: Practice planner/journal
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I couldn't tell enough about what the inside of the practice planner looks like. The site says it shows an example, but it's all written in, so it's hard to tell what the layout is actually like... I guess the example they show is the weekly lesson plan, but there's no picture of the daily practice log. It looks like the lesson plan page is very structured... Has anyone purchased this log? Can you tell us more about what it looks like?

#982642 - 12/31/04 08:11 AM Re: Practice planner/journal
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
ShiroKuro,

Did you scroll down to the bottom of the page? It shows a small example of both pages without anything written in.

#982643 - 01/02/05 09:18 PM Re: Practice planner/journal
Hububer Offline

Loc: Virginia
I created my own using Excel. It covers six days worth of planned practice. I list out in the first column the pieces I plan to practice, and then each subsequent column is a day's worth of practice with the amount of time I am going to spend on each piece. This allows me to easily add up the practice time in the spreadsheet and move items around to balance the practice time between days. I leave blank cells to write in the date and the actual practice time on each piece. If I can't complete a full practice day, I just pick up where I left off. At the end of the rotation, I modify the next rotation as needed. Following it has become a very important part of my practice routine.

#982644 - 01/02/05 11:15 PM Re: Practice planner/journal
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Thanks sleepingcats, I took a look at the bottom and that was what I wanted to see. That log is not the kind I would use.

I agree with others who've said that it's not enough just to keep a log of what you've done after the fact, it's important to set goals and then record how close you've come to meeting them. The diary I use is actually one designed for business/work, but the way it's set up is perfect for what I want to do with my piano-diary.

The left hand page has a space for each day (i.e. 7 slots). This page can be used like a log or for daily reflections. The right hand page is just an empty (lined) page, which I use to write weekly goals on the top half, and reflections at the end of the week on the bottom half.

For about the last two years, I have always kept a "play list" on my piano. I started using this as a way to keep my repertoire up to "playability" (is that a word?) So it has three categories:
1)exercises (Czerny, Hanon etc)
2)pieces in progress (things I am currently working on)
3) maintenance pieces (pieces that are "completed" and that I simply want to maintain so they stay "playable")

Categories one and two are things I work on every day, and all the pieces in category three have a day written next to them (monday, tuesday etc) so I don't play all those songs every day, but I play all of them at least once a week. I can't play all of my repertoire every day, so if I didn't do this, I would forget which songs I have played and which I haven't.

I plan to keep using my play list to tell me what I'm playing everyday, and my piano diary I will use for planning, strategizing and reflecting about my practice.

Just my method, for what it's worth.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (36251, ando, acortot, Aibohphobia, ajames, 45 invisible), 1884 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291686 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
07/22/14 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission