Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#982966 - 06/21/06 09:57 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by dvdiva:
jazz lives by the beat and short snappy notes[/b]
I love how you put that!

No pedal it is, then. ;\)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#982967 - 06/21/06 11:02 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
Anybody notice it's alot harder to hide your mistakes without that pedal? humm...

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#982968 - 06/22/06 12:03 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

It's not even an issue with me, shortcircuit, because I'm just working on the first two pages HS. Whenever I try to play HT, I get thrown for a loop and everything grinds to a halt. I'm hoping it will come together. Eventually.

#982969 - 06/22/06 01:46 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

Loc: Manila
 Quote:
Originally posted by Shortcircuit85:
I'm talking about one of the main sections that everyone recognizes. I don't have the music infront of me, so I can't cite the measure, but it's the part where the left hand and right hand are out of sync for two beats. There is a 1/4 note in the left hand followed by Eb (I thinK) chord? I was playing them at the same time, so that's very ackward now to play them offset by an 8th. [/b]
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
YUP...thats the one, me too [/b]
Which version are you both working with? The 4-page one from the Charlie Brown Christmas book, or the 8-page one? The screenshot of the swing section you posted earlier seems to be taken from the 4-page version.

On both 4-page and 8-page versions, the first two measures after the double-bar have slightly different left-hand patterns. In the 8-page version, pictured below, the 1st measure (after the double-bar) ends with an added 8th note (lower E) so the 2nd measure starts with both RH & LH in sync.

In the 4-page version, the 1st measure keeps the LH pattern (last 8th note tied with next), so LH & RH are not in sync at the start of the 2nd measure. I guess if you're having difficulty with it, you could try using the other version with the added 8th note! Merge the 2 versions together and use what suits you best!

#982970 - 06/22/06 07:08 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
The 8 page version dvdiva. That section is a little tricky and needs to be played reeeeeeeal slooooow to get the timing down. It will come, honest.

Whats everyone doing for the slur note section...fingering?
PTG Associate

#982971 - 06/22/06 07:25 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

I'm doing exactly what Monica was doing (before she decided to give a rest! ;\) ). 2nd & 5th fingers, then thumb for grace note, then 3rd & 5th fingers.

#982972 - 06/22/06 08:34 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

DVDIVA, I'm looking at your posted pic, and it looks the same as the 4 page version which I am playing. If, my memory is correct (cause I"m not looking at the score right now), I have that 8th note as well. I definitely don't have any grace notes, but I have the same right/left melody.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#982973 - 06/22/06 09:12 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

There's a veeery *slight* difference! Probably not audible when played at regular speed anyway. \:\)

Here's a pic of the 1st two rows of the 4-page version. The difference isn't very noticeable and at first glance, looks exactly the same. Fooled me too! ;\)

#982974 - 06/22/06 10:03 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

oh! Boy, I had to look at one than the other about 10 times before I could figure it out.

I stand corrected.. I think I am going to edit my edition to look like the 8 page edition. Though, I want to play both and figure out which I think sounds better.

#982975 - 06/22/06 10:22 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dk21208 Offline

Loc: FL
I personally think that the difference is too subtle to be picked up except by an active listener.

At least in that section.

#982976 - 06/22/06 11:24 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
 Quote:
Thanks so much for your opinion :rolleyes: seebech'...here's mine...What a waste of time and energy to post that crap. If you don't want to buy it... THEN DON'T BUY IT AND GO ON![/b]

Opus45...let seebechstein ride his high horse.
[/b]
seebechstein[/b] ...this has bothered me since I posted and would like to say...SORRY, (just venting) I hope I didn't offend you to much or drive you away from this thread. Everyone could benefit from your participaition here (and that includes ME)

Monster M&H
PTG Associate

#982977 - 06/22/06 11:49 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

Monster M&H:

#982978 - 06/22/06 10:56 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
 Quote:
seebechstein[/b] ...this has bothered me since I posted and would like to say...SORRY, (just venting) I hope I didn't offend you to much or drive you away from this thread. Everyone could benefit from your participaition here (and that includes ME)

Monster M&H [/b]
Oh, no problem M&H. You're nothing compared to those people who get so angry when I say that I've played a lot of cruddy Steinways. I really p!ss off those people! They act like it's their own fault that the Steinways I've seen are cruddy. I still want to try the one at Nordstroms. But not because of the name, because I need the experience of playing in public. I think eventually I'd get used to it.

Nice that dvdiva posted the first page of the sheet music; would have been a lot better if the other 7 pages were posted! Anyway I broke down and ordered The Vince Guaraldi Collection off of Amazon. It was like $13 and I kindof feel like I prostituted myself, paying like that -- but on the other end of the transaction -- what would that be called, "johning" myself? I feel so dirty. Y'all are way ahead of me on working this piece, I'm sure.

#982979 - 06/22/06 11:37 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Y'all are way ahead of me on working this piece, I'm sure.
Nah... you'll catch up in no time. I gather from the title, you're getting that version that claims to be the "note-for-note" transcription? I'd be interested to hear if you notice any big differences in the transcription. Obviously, there are already some differences in the versions we've been using amoung our group. Please keep us posted.

#982980 - 06/22/06 11:53 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

I am having BIG problems playing the first two pages HT. I can play them HS no problem and even at something approaching the correct tempo. But I just can't get them together. \:\(

My latest strategy is to play just the melody note of the right hand and attempt to get the rhythm down on HT before playing all the notes. I am making progress, but it is darned slow. [wonders if maybe Croatian Rhapsody might have been easier to tackle.]

#982981 - 06/23/06 12:04 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had some trouble playing HT when I started it too. I got over it by playing the Left hand part over and over and slowely incorporating the right hand after about a dozen or so repetitions with the left hand first. I also exaggerated the 1/4 notes in the bass progression to get the "pulse" of that section down.

Keep at it, once it clicks you'll get that Ureka sensation! Then you'll be asking why did it take so long? \:D Well, at least that's what I did :p

#982982 - 06/23/06 12:13 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

I guess I cheated a bit :p , since I already learned the simplified C-major version of this several years ago. So now I already have the rhythm, but I need to re-learn it in a different key and of course with a LOT more notes! Plus two intervals which I haven't started on yet!

#982983 - 06/23/06 09:04 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
FurElise Offline

Loc: Tarrytown, New York
Just wanted to say hi. I'm waiting my music to come. How long can an envelope take?

Does anyone have a link to a free mp3 file or otherwise so that I can listen to what it's suppose to sound like. I can't recall if anyone previously posted such a link. Thanks!

#982984 - 06/23/06 10:03 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
My friend Seebechstein,

You've got it wrong. I for one, don't get upset if you feel you've played "cruddy Steinways". That is your opinion, and so be it. No problem with that. It is, however, your PATTERN of personal attacks against the PEOPLE who chose to purchase a Steinway that I find puzzling. Can you see that?

Do you not agree that your REPEATED comments to the effect that S&S OWNERS have more $$$ than musical sense crosses the line between harmless opinion and vindictiveness? I guess not.

While you may delight in thinking that you "****" us off, you actually come across as one who is jealous and begrudging. Give that some thought please.

BTW, I can play Linus and Lucy fluently, and, offer help to anyone here. That includes you Seebechstein. \:\)

fingers

#982985 - 06/23/06 10:50 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fur Elise, DVDIA posted the first page of the 8 page version. You could definetly start learning that intro page before your music comes. Those first 6-7 measures are repeated quite a bit, so it would be worth learning now.

If you are getting the 4 page version, just let me know, and I'll get you a temporary printable version which I had scanned. I don't mind if you've already purchased the music.

#982986 - 06/23/06 07:48 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by seebechstein:
Nice that dvdiva posted the first page of the sheet music[/b]
Thanks! But the 1st page of all sheet music is usually free on digital sheet music stores. They post a preview which you can print and listen to. The picture I posted (the one with the "Reproduction Prohibited" watermark ;\) ) is from SheetMusicPlus's site.

#982987 - 06/24/06 08:17 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
 Quote:
Originally posted by fingers:
It is, however, your PATTERN of personal attacks against the PEOPLE who chose to purchase a Steinway that I find puzzling. Can you see that? [/b]
I do not attack specific musicians who made a selection based on what felt and sounded good to them. I do make a generalization (that perhaps isn't true for many people on this forum) to say that people buying Steinways frequently have more money than talent, and I stand by that generalization.

What I see is you trolling constantly, following me around the forum and trying to pick a fight.

Quote:
Originally posted by fingers:
you actually come across as one who is jealous and begrudging. Give that some thought please.
[/b]
I am not jealous of anyone who owns a Steinway. In fact, just the opposite!

But then again, I've never played a Hamburg D. Adrian says this is the piano to die for, so it obviously is a very different piano than the various Ls, Ms, and Os I've come across.

#982988 - 06/24/06 08:37 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Is it too much to ask that these very interesting discussions which have nothing to do with learning "Linus and Lucy" be taken up in different threads?

Aren't these discussions bordering on hijacking the threads?

Please take these conversations to a separate thread.

Thank you very much.

#982989 - 06/24/06 09:26 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
icekid767 Offline

Loc: Orlando
I'm not officially a part of this group, but I decided to order the 8 page sheet music and I've been working hard. I think I have a pretty good handle on most of the music, except the last few measures of the jazz section.

If someone has it down, it would be nice to hear their slow version of the jazz section. Even better, the whole thing. I can't access Nina's file from page 3, which was very helpful when I could hear it. I keep getting an error message when trying to download it.

#982990 - 06/24/06 09:33 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

Hey, icekid767, if you've got a "pretty good handle on most of the music," you're way ahead of a lot of us and are now an "official" member of the group. \:\) I wish I could help you out with a recording, but seeing as I am still stuck on getting the first two pages HT, it will be a very very long time before I get anything recordable. Perhaps fingers could post a recording for us.

#982991 - 06/24/06 10:01 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
icekid767,

One of the reasons we're getting such an early start on this piece is in hopes of finishing it before Christmas.

But now that you are officially part of the group, would you mind if we asked you for some recordings at some point? We have found in other groups, that recordings at half speed (and even slower) are very helpful to those working to get these pieces off the ground.

Any recordings you would be willing to share with us would be very, very appreciated...for sure!

#982992 - 06/24/06 10:59 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
icekid767 Offline

Thank you Monica. I would have signed up, but I lost my password until today.

I do not have any recording equipment. I suppose I could download some free recording software off the net. It would sound crappy, but if it helps I will do it.

On the other hand, when I say I have a pretty good handle on it, I mean my progress is steady. I have the reapeated part down (because I used to mess around with that back in the day). I could play page 3-4 slowly and most of the swing stuff, but as i said, I need help with the last part of the swing stuff.

I'd be happy to help if you could help me with recording equipment or software.

#982993 - 06/24/06 11:03 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Offline

Search the archives for "recording" and you'll get a slew of (sometimes contradictory) advice. The easiest way, if you don't care about professional quality recordings (and we don't), is to buy a cheap microphone and plug it in your laptop (if you have one, or move your computer over near the piano if you don't), and download audacity (free) from the web. A bit of trial and error and you'll be recording stuff in no time.

#982994 - 06/24/06 11:52 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
icekid767 Offline

I'll try that and then I'll have something by the end of the day, if not sooner. I also have to figure out how to use that free filesharing thing. I'm pretty new to this stuff. I don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll go check this out and try my best.

#982995 - 06/24/06 02:33 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm glad you're in IceKid...

I haven't spent a lot of time on the swing part either yet. I'm still trying overcome the mistake I taught myself in the main section. It is a part I am hoping someone else will get completely and post. Nina's recording was very helpful, but it still just doesn't sound right!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (Akshay, ando, 36251, Anne'sson, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1605 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153575 Topics
2250785 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
Today at 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
Today at 08:46 AM
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
Today at 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 07:44 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission