Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#982936 - 06/19/06 07:05 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
Wow Nina! Thank you so much for taking the time to play and record that! I think I finally get what you're talking about. In this case, a "Recording" tells a thousand words. \:D I've been trying to nail down every single note with a countable beat, but that seems to be a big mistake! \:\)

This is probably going to take me a little while to get the hang of, but I think I understand now. Thanks again!

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#982937 - 06/19/06 09:50 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Shortcircuit85:
As far as figruing it out from the recording, I do not have an ear for music. As much as I love music, my ear is way off. I couldn't begin to figure something out from listening to it.
 Quote:
Wow Nina! Thank you so much for taking the time to play and record that! I think I finally get what you're talking about. In this case, a "Recording" tells a thousand words.

I thought you didn't have an ear? ;\) :p
2013 Charles Walter 1520 QA.

#982938 - 06/19/06 10:16 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

\:D

Yeah, I see the irony! BUT IN MY DEFENSE... \:\)

There is big difference between transcribing music from a recording, and figuring out how to interpret something you can see in front of you from a recording.

I would add, as Nina pointed out, this doesn't sound anything like the original! I was looking at the music while listening to the orignal, and I kinda thought it sounda similar. Now I know I was wrong.

I'm thinking of buying a ear training program. Maybe I can force myself to learn and at least hear intervals if not recognize actual notes here and there.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#982939 - 06/19/06 10:46 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Save the money, and buy (or download) sheet music for piano CDs you like to listen to.

Follow along (or try to) when you listen to the CD.

You may discover you have a better ear than you thought!

#982940 - 06/20/06 09:34 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
FurElise Offline

Loc: Tarrytown, New York
Well, my order has been confirmed from sheetmusicplus so now I just have to wait for the postman--the s&h cost more than the music. What a rip. I'll have to listen to Nina's recording tonight. So I guess I've been playing swing all my life as I can't count. GRIN

Actually, I can count fine when playing the piano, but when I was playing bassoon many many moons ago, I was so in the habit of counting vocally that I was totally frustrated by the reed occupying my mouth. I could not keep time with my foot, so I'd wing it.

#982941 - 06/20/06 09:45 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
My copy arrived today, hurray! [wonders whether she can possibly justify taking the rest of the day off to go start playing it.]

#982942 - 06/20/06 09:52 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dk21208 Offline

Loc: FL
Nina, that was sounding cool... I hope that means your pinky is feeling better.

I have to admit I have been focused on a different piece and haven't worked very hard on Linus and Lucy yet. Sounds like I have some catching up to do.

#982943 - 06/20/06 10:25 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Monica...I give you permission to leave for the rest of the day...take an attitude adjustment day.

Nina...nice job. Does anyone have a full mp3 of Linus and Lucy to listen to?
PTG Associate

#982944 - 06/20/06 10:30 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
If there's a free digital download of the version you guys are using, I can try to record it.

Disclaimer: I played a version of L & L a few years ago--no way am I picking it up and sightreading it as a complete newbie. Don't panic! \:\)

#982945 - 06/20/06 03:57 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Quote:
I would add, as Nina pointed out, this doesn't sound anything like the original! I was looking at the music while listening to the orignal, and I kinda thought it sounda similar. Now I know I was wrong.
It's quite possible that you don't have the full music score. For example, I have the Warner Bros "A Charlie Brown Christmas" published in 1991 that has Linus and Lucy without the first verse. It only has the "swing" verse.

Now, I also have the sheet music published by Hal Leonard (HL00352295). This version has the first verse and also the "swing" verse.

#982946 - 06/20/06 06:08 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Hi all, and thanks to Nina for the great demonstration.

I just thought I'd mention that the original Linus and Lucy was for a jazz trio (piano, bass, and drums.) The drums and bass are very understated, so a lot of people tend to think the whole tune is piano solo. I'd suggest listening to the original trio version - the swing section makes a lot more sense with a drummer!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#982947 - 06/20/06 08:32 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Online   blank

That's interesting, Kreisler; you're right--I had always thought it was a piano solo. I'm going to have to get out my Charlie Brown videotapes and listen for those drums and bass.

Okay, guys, now that my sheet music is here, I'm ready to start. I spent about 20 minutes so far this evening working on the first two pages, and I have a question. What fingering do you use for 2nd page (labeled "3" on the sheetmusic score), line 2, 2nd measure, where you've got those E-natural grace notes right after playing the E-flat? I'm doing something weird where I play the first E-flat and A-flat with my 2nd and 5th fingers, and then squeezing my thumb in to do the E-natural grace note, but it seems weird so I think it may not be the best fingering. But if I try playing the E-flat with my thumb and the grace note with my 2nd finger, it doesn't seem to fit easily.

#982948 - 06/20/06 09:44 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
What fingering do you use for 2nd page (labeled "3" on the sheetmusic score), line 2, 2nd measure, where you've got those E-natural grace notes right after playing the E-flat?
In the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" version, the grace notes are not transcribed in. The sheet music you have is written differently, and IMHO, is a bit trickier.

Solution: Eliminate the grace notes.

For a better explanation, have a look at the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" version. That's how I play that section. I use 1-5 for the E-flat/A-flat, and slurring into 3 for the F.

Maybe a little easier: In that section only, whenever there is F/A-flat, eliminate (or subltely play) the A-flat.

#982949 - 06/21/06 07:09 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've been playing with E-flat/A-flat 2-4, F/A-flat 3-4 using 1 for the slur note(E). I also have been only slurring the first note of each group...example 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4 | 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4, 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4, 2| (|marks the measure) Until I can get my fingers to work faster...I like the way that feels. Does that help??

Had a lesson last night and just started playing a little of the intro...teaches eyes got wide..."working on something??". He mentioned he has a few different FLAVORS he likes to add to that tune, so I'll try to pass along when they develop.
PTG Associate

#982950 - 06/21/06 10:06 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm a little bummed. I had that whole beginning section down, and I just realized yesterday, I wasn't playing this one beat correctly. Now I have to unlearn that mistake, which is hard to do!

#982951 - 06/21/06 10:35 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Online   blank

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
I've been playing with E-flat/A-flat 2-4, F/A-flat 3-4 using 1 for the slur note(E). I also have been only slurring the first note of each group...example 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4 | 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4, 2/4, 1/3/4, 3/4, 2| (|marks the measure) Until I can get my fingers to work faster...I like the way that feels. Does that help??

[/b]
Very much so! Right now I'm playing it without the grace notes (thanks, VibeRaider!) just to get the timing down, but I'm not ready to give up on them completely so I will try adding them back in.

shortcircuit, I've done that "oops--I just discovered I was playing it wrong all along" thing before. The good news is that you discovered it now, when it will be easier to unlearn, rather than 6 months from now, when you might as well throw the towel in. \:\)

#982952 - 06/21/06 11:27 AM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I'm a little bummed. I had that whole beginning section down, and I just realized yesterday, I wasn't playing this one beat correctly. Now I have to unlearn that mistake, which is hard to do! [/b]
I think I know what section your referring too \:o
PTG Associate

#982953 - 06/21/06 12:09 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Probably,

I'm talking about one of the main sections that everyone recognizes. I don't have the music infront of me, so I can't cite the measure, but it's the part where the left hand and right hand are out of sync for two beats. There is a 1/4 note in the left hand followed by Eb (I thinK) chord? I was playing them at the same time, so that's very ackward now to play them offset by an 8th.

#982954 - 06/21/06 12:56 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

YUP...thats the one, me too
PTG Associate

#982955 - 06/21/06 01:03 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good to know, I'm not alone \:D

#982956 - 06/21/06 06:46 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Online   blank

Okay, before I ask this next question, I would like to remind everybody that There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question.

Um, am I supposed to pedal at all on this piece?

[ducks from rotten tomatoes being thrown] Please pardon my ignorance, but you have to remember that I come from the Land of New Age, which lives and dies by the pedal. So as I started practicing "Linus and Lucy" for the first time, I merrily hit that sustain pedal just as I do for everything else that I play, and it sounded horrible. Are any of you pedalling on it?

#982957 - 06/21/06 06:57 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's not a stupid question at all Monica!

I started pedaling on this, and I thought it sounded muddy. So I've been practicing without it myself. I don't know if this is what you are suppose to do on this song, but I'm sure you'll be glad to know you aren't the only one who's been confused about it.

I hadn't thought to ask. I'm so glad you brought it up though.

#982958 - 06/21/06 07:47 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Monica K. Online   blank

Quote:
I'm sure you'll be glad to know you aren't the only one who's been confused about it.
[/b]
[wipes sweat from brow] Phew! Now let's just wait for an answer from the experts. I'm with you; I've been practicing without the pedal since the first horrid muddy experience.

#982959 - 06/21/06 07:48 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
dvdiva Offline

Loc: Manila
I think it doesn't call for a pedal (but I'm not an expert!). I'm not really sure but I think jazz generally doesn't use sustain, since there are so many dissonant notes running up and down together that they'll just sound muddy. If new age lives by the pedal and long sustained notes, then maybe jazz lives by the beat and short snappy notes? I don't know, Linus and Lucy is officially my first jazz piece, and Take Five is coming up next! \:\)

#982960 - 06/21/06 07:49 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't think so...I haven't been (with a confused look on my face)
PTG Associate

#982961 - 06/21/06 09:05 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, it looks like we are all on the same page (no pun intended)

#982962 - 06/21/06 09:27 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Quote:
Right now I'm playing it without the grace notes (thanks, VibeRaider!) just to get the timing down, but I'm not ready to give up on them completely so I will try adding them back in. [/b]
You're welcome Monica!!!

Yes, it is also smart not to give up on the grace notes completely as I'm sure you will become a little more proficient to play them later. As for me, I had already learned this piece last century without the benefit of the music score. I might have trouble adding those grace notes, due mainly to laziness! \:D

#982963 - 06/21/06 09:30 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
I've been playing with E-flat/A-flat 2-4, F/A-flat 3-4 using 1 for the slur note(E). [/b]
Cool! Another fingering!

Where were you when I needed you before??? \:\)

#982964 - 06/21/06 09:38 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Okay, how about this (on the subject of the grace note riffs):

1-4 E-flat/A-flat

1 slurs into E

Then 2-4 F/A-flat

Looks like the grace notes will live!!!

Where was this team when I needed them before???

#982965 - 06/21/06 09:48 PM Re: Linus and Lucy Study Group
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Quote:
Um, am I supposed to pedal at all on this piece? [/b]
I wouldn't. But only in one exception: In the first verse after the opening part of the song, where the score reads N.C. then starts with G/B-flat and the E-flat7. Stop pedaling when that verse ends and the opening melody starts again.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
178 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, Almaviva, A Guy, 52 invisible), 1861 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
Today at 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
Today at 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
Today at 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
Today at 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission