Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#983188 - 11/20/06 12:11 PM This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
An Apology to Accordianists everywhere:

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9030004433/m/5310001164

Borrowed from Well Tempered Forum

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#983189 - 11/20/06 12:27 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Wow, certainly changed my opinion of the accordian.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#983190 - 11/20/06 12:32 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for pointing these clips out... that guy can really play.

#983191 - 11/20/06 01:23 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
That's amazing ... Really wonderful.

I noticed on WTF that someone commented about the instrument having all buttons and no keys and was told that it is a "chromatic accordian." Interesting. I think that concertinas have all buttons, but that might be a size issue ... not enough real estate for keys.

What type of accordian did (do) you play, Monica? More importantly, where are your videos?

#983192 - 11/20/06 04:52 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Huttima, Huttima, Huttima!
Wowwsa!

Never heard that played on an accordian before!

#983193 - 11/20/06 09:50 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
glitzer Offline

Loc: Tornado Alley meets Bible Belt
I already admitted to having played the accordion in my very first post. I further admit that I even know the correct spelling.

I'm tempted to post my old accordion orchestra (including me) playing (let's say) Stars and Stripes, for comparison, but I can help it for now.

#983194 - 11/20/06 09:53 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by dh:
What type of accordian did (do) you play, Monica? More importantly, where are your videos? [/b]
A piano accordion, dh, and fortunately for everybody on this forum and the internet, I stopped playing accordion before videocameras were invented. \:D

p.s. to glitzer: I was in an accordion band, too (we called ourselves "The Reedettes" :rolleyes: ), and "Stars and Stripes" was one of our crowd-pleasers as well.

#983195 - 11/20/06 10:40 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
glitzer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
"Stars and Stripes" was one of our crowd-pleasers as well. [/b]
Yes, these are fun memories. Actually, we never got that transition right, after the famous (melodious) theme occurs for the first time. I mean the eighths in parts 3, 4, which are a bit a nasty after it was so nice and easy before. Typically about one of these will get lost...

#983196 - 11/20/06 10:51 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
glitzer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
An Apology to Accordianists everywhere:

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9030004433/m/5310001164

Borrowed from Well Tempered Forum [/b]
PS: Probably it's just philistine me, but I actually enjoyed the Nutcracker recording from the same site much more.

#983197 - 11/20/06 11:54 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
But . . . could you play like this guy? \:D Sheesh, he is amazingly talented. I never knew an accordion could sound that wonderful. Okay, here's the deal. All those accordion jokes are now officially banjo jokes.

There's a local businessman who advertises on radio stations. He is a banjo player. Every commercial is filled with silly banjo player jokes. They are very similar to the accordion jokes. Things like:

What do you have when a banjo player is up to his neck in water? Not enough water.

What do you call a banjo player in a 3 piece suit? The defendant.

Hey, that reminds me of the drummer jokes, too.

A drummer decides to become an accordion player. He goes to the music store and asks to look at accordions. The salesman points at a display of accordions. After staring at them for a few minutes, he tells the salesman, "I'll take the big red one."

The salesman says, "You're a drummer aren't you?"

"Wow, that's right. How did you know?"

"That big red accordion is the radiator."

\:D

--Dennis

flickr

#983198 - 11/21/06 10:57 AM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Here's a video of my favorite accordion player... I've seen her live and she's actually quite a musical talent:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Phoebe+Legere+npr&search=Search

If you want to see more of her, do a search on youtube for her "sloth" environmental video on Ipanema beach... I hesitate to put the link here for reasons you'll understand if you locate it. Fwiw, she does all the accordion, pianos, and vocals in that video.

Howard

#983199 - 11/21/06 11:07 AM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
oldcars Offline

Loc: Philly burbs
 Quote:
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
A drummer decides to become an accordion player. He goes to the music store and asks to look at accordions. The salesman points at a display of accordions. After staring at them for a few minutes, he tells the salesman, "I'll take the big red one."

--Dennis [/b]
Q: What did the drummer get on his SATs?
A: Drool

;\)
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

#983200 - 11/21/06 11:57 AM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I was listening to a favorite autumn CD this morning and realized there was an accordion accompaniment! I never paid attention to it before. It's Emerson, Lake & Palmer's song, C'est la Vie, on Works, Vol.1 I had never noticed it before, but it sure blows my "polka" mentality of accordion playing.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#983201 - 11/21/06 12:39 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
 Quote:
But . . . could you play like this guy? \:D Sheesh, he is amazingly talented. I never knew an accordion could sound that wonderful. Okay, here's the deal. All those accordion jokes are now officially banjo jokes.

There's a local businessman who advertises on radio stations. He is a banjo player. Every commercial is filled with silly banjo player jokes. They are very similar to the accordion jokes. Things like:

What do you have when a banjo player is up to his neck in water? Not enough water.

What do you call a banjo player in a 3 piece suit? The defendant.

Hey, that reminds me of the drummer jokes, too.

--Dennis [/b]
Q: what's the difference between onions and accordions?

A:people cry when they chop up onions

#983202 - 11/21/06 12:41 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by oldcars:
 Quote:

--Dennis [/b]
Q: What did the drummer get on his SATs?
A: Drool

;\) [/b]
Q: Why did God make drummers a little smarter than horses?
a: so they wouldn't crap on the parade ground

#983203 - 11/21/06 12:44 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
Those pieces are challenging enough on a piano or organ keyboard... but an accordian. I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't see that video.

Thanks for sharing the youtube link; it made my day.

#983204 - 11/21/06 01:26 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
There is a busker in the Paris Métro who plays many of the great Bach organ works on the accordion. His technique is flawless, and it is quite eerie to hear that music reverberating around the subway tunnels.

Every time I visit I hear him; lately I'm beginning to wonder if there may be more than one virtuoso Bach accordéoniste down in those tunnels...

#983205 - 11/22/06 08:08 AM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
WOW[/b] I saw Paul Simon just of late and he had an accordian in his band...just for those wannabees \:D
PTG Associate

#983206 - 11/26/06 06:59 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJQwTKYfd4

Here's another one, wow, if you close your eyes you can't tell it's not an organ, the guy is amazing.

Here's the same piece on a real organ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pY08e_tdtA

...also uber amazing.

#983207 - 11/26/06 07:05 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Many truck drivers play guitar. I am a pianist. I tried a 61-note keyboard but it was too cumbersome with the cords and all and the converters. I keep a large accordion in the sleeper and have a ball with it. I've never had a single lessons but have pretty much figured it out.

An accordion is like an acoustic (versus digital or electronic) organ. Needs no plug or electrical source and makes its sounds by vibrating natural products.

I hope they make a comeback. Hammonds did.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#983208 - 11/26/06 07:18 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Do they make digital accordions? Would seem an ideal instrument for it.

#983209 - 11/27/06 12:18 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
yes they do. quite a few other manufacturers make them with varying levels of technology.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#983210 - 11/28/06 01:12 PM Re: This is for Monica and Anyone Else Who Dares Admit to Playing the Accordian
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
Amazing stuff - I still enjoy the 'more traditional' accordion parts on artists like Paul Simon, John Mellencamp and Steve Forbert....but my favorite has got to be Wierd Al Yankovic playing 'Polkas on 45'......
Estonia 190, #6098

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
17 minutes 40 seconds ago
Piano make
by ali123
Today at 06:24 PM
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Who's Online
130 registered (36251, Alan_Dublin, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 38 invisible), 1389 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158494 Topics
2327613 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission