Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
77 registered (AZNpiano, A2mom, 36251, beet31425, A Guy, 19 invisible), 1118 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#983615 - 02/14/07 06:21 AM Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Hi all,

It has been mentioned before a few times, but how about actually doing it: running a live online recital for us adult beginners?

If we use Skype , we could host a conference call of all participants. Skype is free and works very well, even if you are behind a firewall. Of course, other programs are a possibility too.

One of us would host the recital and set up a program for the order in which everyone plays. This person would also record the recital, which is possible with some additional software. Then we could upload this recording somewhere so that everyone could hear it.

Some notes:

- The main problem is picking a time because we have members from all over the globe.

- Sound quality won't be very good because these internet phone programs are optimized for speech, not music.

- I think Skype limits conference calls to 9 people. Of course, if 9 people play for 3 minutes each, that is about 30 minutes. It will probably run even longer than that. If more people want to play in the online recital, we could host several of them.

EDIT: I just noticed there is a new version of Skype that has "Skypecasts", which would be ideal for this sort of thing! They can hosts many different participants (much more than 9), so that way we can even have an audience. \:\)

Thoughts? \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#983616 - 02/14/07 09:36 AM Re: Live Online Recital
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
This is a cool idea, but I see three main barriers to this and why the submitting and posting of recital pieces will probably, for now, be an easier solution.

1. Not everyone is signed up to Skype. I'm not. Is it completely free to hold a conference call like this?
2. As you mentioned, time zones will be a major problem. I can't imagine more than half of the members here who participate in recitals being able to play at the same time due to the obvious problems of time of day and work and stuff. It would probably have to be a weekend, otherwise people will be at work or in bed when others can play. Or hold recitals for different time zone groups, but that would defeat the purpose of it a bit because ideally everyone could participate at once.
3. The quality of the recording will probably be very poor. The built in microphone on my laptop is naff for recording piano (I've tried), not to mention once it's travelled over a network not designed for that purpose. Is it possible to plug something like a Zoom in for use as a microphone connected directly to a computer?

I really like the idea mahlzeit, but think these things will need to be well and truly worked out before it can work as intended.

#983617 - 02/14/07 09:59 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments, Ozor! \:\)

This isn't intended to be a replacement for the online recitals we're having right now, but rather as an additional cool thing to do. I also think it will be great for practicing our performing skills.

About your comments:

1) Skype is completely free and very easy to use. You do need a reasonably fast internet connection, so dial-up probably won't work.

2) Time zones are indeed a problem. But if we're recording the recitals, then people who couldn't make it can still listen to them. I think holding recitals for different time zone groups would be the best solution -- but it depends on who wants to join in.

3) The sound quality is very bad compared to our normal recital recordings, because it is compressed for it's sent out over Skype. Unfortunately, that is true for all of these internet phone applications. A better solution would be to stream audio like internet radio stations do, but I don't think there is a free application that does that for conference calls.

As for recording your piano, I believe you can plug the Zoom into your computer and use that for recording (but I'm not entirely sure). And if not, then your crappy laptop microphone will just have to do. \:D

I would like to know if anyone is interested in participating in such a recital. If so, then we can simply hold an impromptu one (maybe this weekend?) to see if this will work (while we're still in the spirit of recitals \:\) ). I have figured out a way to record from Skype, so no problems there.

#983618 - 02/14/07 10:18 AM Re: Live Online Recital
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Well, I would love but dont have the computer near my piano \:\( .
Anyway, great idea.

#983619 - 02/14/07 11:15 AM Re: Live Online Recital
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I would be interested.......I think...

\:D \:D

#983620 - 02/14/07 12:44 PM Re: Live Online Recital
ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I think Skype limits the number of participants to nine if your computer has an Intel processor. The limit is four if you have an AMD processor.

Ted

#983621 - 02/14/07 01:23 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The limit on the conference call is not an issue if we use the new "Skypecast" feature, which supports many dozens of participants. \:\)

#983622 - 02/14/07 02:59 PM Re: Live Online Recital
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
mahlzeit:

I think this idea has definite possibilities, however, "realistically" we may want to go about this live-ish type of recital in small steps.

I think the next natural step in this online recital process would be for members (who wanted to) to submit a video of them playing their piece.

Should a "video recital" become a huge succsess in the future, then at that point we all could possibly consider an actual "live" performance and work out the logistics at that time.

Many of us are enjoying playing piano not only for its rewarding paybacks, but also its a soothing and relaxing activity.

For some, posting video's, or performing live may introduce a whole new set of stress factors....(do I look good?, will people think I'm fat, is my house in show shape?, what about my performance anxiety etc....), you get the point!

When I suggested the video recital idea a few months ago, some were for it while many others were not. Their reasons were valid!

My personal suggestion (at least for now) is to allow members to do what ever they want. If you want to submit an audio recording only, great. Should you want to submit a video recording link...(you tube or alike), no problem.

Keeping the stress level down and the enthusiasm levels up should be paramount, at least in my book.

#983623 - 02/14/07 04:27 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey super-hunky,

I agree on all of that, although I wouldn't necessarily say that a live recital is a step up from video. To me, they are different things and I don't see why we can't have both.

The live recital wouldn't have video, by the way, only audio. Doing a live video recital would be scary indeed (and impossible to pull off technology-wise). \:D

And of course members can do or leave whatever they want. I wouldn't want to force anyone to participate. If no one is interested at this point in trying out a live "recital" then we obviously won't have one.

In any case, I might just host one of those Skypecasts this weekend and see who turns up. \:\)

#983624 - 02/14/07 04:36 PM Re: Live Online Recital
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Well, I have no idea how to do it, but I'll participate if you give me 3rd grade level spoon fed instructions!

What equipment do you need?

#983625 - 02/14/07 04:41 PM Re: Live Online Recital
shimmer Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Mahlzeit. I appreciate your enthusiasm but I have to say that I would not participate by playing (too nervous). Time difference permitting, I would like to listen, though...

#983626 - 02/14/07 05:20 PM Re: Live Online Recital
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I would participate in the Skype thing if it happens.

I'm not sure if allowing video in the recitals would be a good idea. People would rather watch video than just listen to audio, and that might take attention away from those not able to record videos.

brojek.

#983627 - 02/14/07 05:34 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What you would need to participate in the Skype thing is:

1) Skype. Get it at www.skype.com . You also need to make an account. It's all free and easy, even my mom uses it. \:\)

2) A reasonably fast internet connection. Dial-up probably doesn't cut it.

3) A microphone to talk into and headphones to hear everyone through. Headphones are mandatory because otherwise everyone else will hear their own voices echoed back over your speakers, which is incredibly annoying. I use a $5 headset and it works good enough, but the built-in laptop mic will do as well. But get headphones!

4) If you want to perform, you need a way to get your piano sounds into the computer. This is the tricky part. If you're lucky, your (headset) microphone can pick up the piano sounds and you won't need to do anything else. Otherwise, you may need to use a second microphone (for acoustics), or plug your digital into the computer.

I have a digital and I'll probably have to either a) crank the volume way up, or b) switch cables between playing and talking. So I'm either talking or playing. Maybe this becomes a little annoying after a while, but we'll see.

That's about it. Is that spoon-fed enough, or do you (or anyone) need more details? \:\)

Oh, once the Skypecast is set up, I can paste a link here. If you click the link, Skype will automatically start up and take you to the right place. I think I'll set it up for this weekend, or maybe some evening.

The main problem is picking a time that suits several people, so if anyone else is interested, please speak up and let us know when would be a good time for you. This won't be a real recital, but more of a pilot. We'll chat some and anyone who wants to play something can play. Listeners will be welcome, of course! This is just to see how it goes, and whether it's something we might want to do "for real" sometime in the (near?) future.

#983628 - 02/14/07 10:03 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

This sounds great, I am all for the idea. Skype sounds like a good medium also. I would certainly like to participate and or listen. A trial run would be great - are there going to be problems? Yes. Could it ba a total failure? Yes But could it be a huge success? Yes

We need to pick a time in a single location - say New York, and use this to compare our own time and availability - just type "time new york" into google to find the time (the first hit). So, in Melbourne Australia its currently 2 pm Thursday 15th and its 10pm Wednesday 14th in New York. That means I'm 16 hours ahead of NY time etc etc

#983629 - 02/15/07 05:30 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was going to suggest using the time of this forum as a reference, but it turns out it's the same as New York time, so that works out just fine. \:\) I'm 6 hours ahead of that.

#983630 - 02/15/07 06:04 AM Re: Live Online Recital
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi!
As I said I dont have piano near computer but I got an idea. I can record it on my recorder and then just play the recording on the time of live recital.
However, this probably doesnt count cause it isnt live anymore \:\)
But if it does count Im in \:\)
Btw, the time is now (here): 12:05 (5 minutes after noon)

#983631 - 02/15/07 06:27 AM Re: Live Online Recital
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
I could get my laptop near my piano, but I think I'd still rather do a recording for it! I'd be even more nervous and mistake prone than normal playing for others knowing I'm playing live to several people I don't know from all over the world who also play piano!

#983632 - 02/15/07 07:12 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Of course you can "fake" it by playing back a recording and no one would know, but the whole purpose is to play *live*. \:\)

I probably am pretty bad at it too -- so this is the ideal opportunity to practice. Even though we know each other from these message boards, we're still pretty much strangers so there isn't really much risk of losing face. And the fact that the others are also piano players makes it even less of an obstacle, because they either are beginners themselves or once were beginners.

So, consider it a learning tool. Making mistakes is allowed! \:D

(By the way, I wouldn't mind people who don't have their computer near their piano to play a recording -- I'd rather hear you play that way than not hear you play at all.)

#983633 - 02/16/07 09:24 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK, I've made a Skypecast entry:
https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=426551

It will start tomorrow (Sat 17 Feb) at 16:00 (i.e. 4PM) *my* time. If you're in New York, that is 10AM.

It's scheduled to last for 2 hours. Maybe this is a bad time, maybe not. I'll just log on at that time and see who joins me, and then we can chat and play the piano. \:\)

#983634 - 02/16/07 09:45 AM Re: Live Online Recital
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
mahlzeit,

I'm interested to see how this all works.

I've started similar conversations elsewhere on the forums.

The technology for "live" Internet performances is slowly becoming available. I am in the process of trying to evaluate our options and would welcome any input.

In addition to live performances and recitals, I'd like us to have the option of audio/video chat sessions (where we could have guest speakers, or scheduled chat on specific topics).

One option might be to use something like this Quick Cam which has both audio and video, and claims to work with MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Messenger.

Another is this new service, now about to enter beta testing (they have said they would be happy to have us test it)...
AUDiiO from eJamming

If you decide to sign up for the beta testing (link near bottom of page), tell them Frank Baxter at Piano World sent you.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#983635 - 02/16/07 11:11 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Frank, I'm interested to see how this all works as well. \:\)

I never could get my webcam or microphone to work with any of these messenger programs, most likely because I have a hardware-based firewall (i.e. router). You can probably configure the router to let webcam traffic through, but I haven't done that. Besides, that should be done on both sides.

One of the benefits of Skype is that it can circumvent these problems by relaying the traffic through their own servers, although that makes it slower. But at least it does work. Maybe these messenger programs work like that too nowadays -- I haven't checked.

The eJamming product sounds VERY interesting, but my computer and internet connection don't meet the hardware requirements. \:\(

Audio chat sessions with guest speakers are definitely doable through Skype, though. \:\)

#983636 - 02/16/07 04:47 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Awesome! sounds great Mahlzeit! Though it will be quite early Sunday morning here (2 a.m!) I will be there - whether I play or not is another question (I intend to spend most of today (saturday) at the piano so at least my hands will be warmed up!

Just one question - are you able to plug the digital in the 'line in' of the PC and participate like this (rather than play the digital through the mic) - I think you were suggesting this is the case up the thread a bit - if so, how would one set up this in Skype?

#983637 - 02/16/07 05:01 PM Re: Live Online Recital
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Matthijs \:D

Great idea but weekends are a no-no for me

I'm available to skype anytime during the week

I wonder if Frank could put our skype details in our profiles?...like Mike has at pianomagic (so we can all simply be one click away \:\) )

Frank???

regards

Lee \:\)

I really like skype \:D its the way it dials anyone, wherever they are in the world instantly that never ceases to amaze me

#983638 - 02/16/07 05:05 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cool, Stephen! \:\)

Skype records from whatever device you selected as the recording device in Window's Volume Control Panel.

My sound card only allows me to choose one device, so I either record from Mic In or from Line In.

If your sound card can record from more than one input at a time (I don't even know if such cards exist, but maybe they do) then you can simply select both.

Otherwise, you'll have to switch between Mic In when you want to talk and Line In when you want to play.

#983639 - 02/16/07 05:16 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

All right!! Thanks Mahlzeit, recording works - I think I'm ready to go!

#983640 - 02/16/07 06:18 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

So Mahlzeit and i had something of a test run - this is gonna be great!

It is very simple to setup and the sound quality is good for an instantaneous across the globe transmission! You can join the Skypecast and just kick back and listen, and of course request to play if you feel inclined!

So - please join our trial run setup by mahlzeit!

"OK, I've made a Skypecast entry:
https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=426551

It will start tomorrow (Sat 17 Feb) at 16:00 (i.e. 4PM) *my* time. If you're in New York, that is 10AM. "

#983641 - 02/17/07 06:09 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As a reminder, the Skypecast will start in 4 hours[/b] from now. \:\) It'll run for about 2 hours.

What you need to participate is:

1) Skype . It's completely free. Get the latest version (3.x) if possible.

2) Headphones and a microphone.

3) A piano if you wish to play something. This is not required, you're free to just listen, but why not play something? \:D

The starting time is 16:00 in Europe, which is 15:00 GMT and 10:00 New York Time. To convert the time to your time zone, click here .

If you need to contact me directly, my Skype username is "playzeit".

I thought I had a way to record the Skypecast, but that didn't work. However, I *can* record people's performances.

Speak to you on the Skypecast! \:\)

#983642 - 02/17/07 10:03 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's on! \:\)

Click the following link to launch Skype and go directly to the Skypecast:
Go to the SkypeCast now!

I hope someone shows up so I won't just be playing for myself. :p

#983643 - 02/17/07 10:07 AM Re: Live Online Recital
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok mahlzeit, i am downloading now, so you wont be alone. plus i want to see if this works:)

#983644 - 02/17/07 10:25 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Does it work for you, Funburger? I saw you join the Skypecast, but then you left again. \:\(

#983645 - 02/17/07 10:47 AM Re: Live Online Recital
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Well, I logged in but could not get my mic to work. Very interesting, and if I ever get my computer to do what I want, I will participate in the future.

Thank you mahlzeit for the test run.

Mike

#983646 - 02/17/07 10:51 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, I was wondering who that "Mike" guy was! \:\)

#983647 - 02/17/07 11:12 AM Re: Live Online Recital
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i had been asked by skype to add all these friends i clicked out of it and it disconnected me. but i returned:)

#983648 - 02/17/07 11:16 AM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

ROBERT FINLEY IS AWESOME!!!!

#983649 - 02/17/07 11:26 AM Re: Live Online Recital
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

are you guys all used to playing in front of people? because you all sound great and not nervous at all!!!

yes Robert is playing now again. he is awesome!!

how in the heck are you guys so comfy playing live? i was a nervous wreck. guess it just takes practice!!!

#983650 - 02/17/07 11:36 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heh heh, I'm not nervous to play live like this but I still do make more mistakes than usual. I also play a lot faster. But it helps to be among friends. \:D

By the way, funburger, you did great! \:\)

#983651 - 02/17/07 11:42 AM Re: Live Online Recital
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Well, I'm not sure if it's still going now, but I'm on my way!

brojek.

#983652 - 02/17/07 11:56 AM Re: Live Online Recital
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

everyone now off of skype

#983653 - 02/17/07 12:04 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

best twinkle twinkle ever!!

#983654 - 02/17/07 12:11 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, it's over! I had a lot of fun and performing for other people this way really helps. We'll definitely do this again, maybe at a time when more Americans are awake. ;\)

I'll post a compilation of the performances in a little while, so you can get an idea of what it sounded like.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we even managed to perform a duet and apparently everything sounded in time.

#983655 - 02/17/07 12:16 PM Re: Live Online Recital
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i liked that twinkle little star!!!

yes that duet was really cool. i was smiling when you guys did that!!! i was hoping for another!!! \:D

i was a bit skeptical on the skype idea at first, but i kept up with the thread. Skype rocks!! this was alot of fun:) great idea mahlzeit i am glad you started this!!!

cant wait till the next one \:D

#983656 - 02/17/07 12:39 PM Re: Live Online Recital
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Again, mahlzeit - Thanks...

I have fixed my mic problems. Unknown to me, it is necessary to plug it in to the computer first.

Cannot believe I made such a silly mistake, and then toured Microsoft user groups for ideas on what was wrong (yes, they suggested I check to see if if was plugged in...)

So, I am ready for the next time....

#983657 - 02/17/07 02:41 PM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here is a taster of what it sounded like on my end. I recorded in 22050 Hz, 16-bit, mono from my soundcard's "Stereo Mix" output.

http://www.box.net/public/cx68ox77nh

These bits and pieces are played by: (1) StephenC, (2) DeepElem (Buck), (3) Funburger, (4) Robert Finley, and (5) one of Funburger's kids. \:D

I don't have recordings of my own playing, because I didn't have a way to record the entire conversation. There are apparently special tools for this, but I didn't get any of these yet.

Note: sound quality is a slightly worse than it could be. The best way would be to mute everyone before a performance, so no microphone static is picked up, and un-mute them after -- but we didn't do that this time...

It's not quite CD quality, obviously, but when you're in Skype it's very acceptable. The 2 hours also went by really really quickly.

(By the way, I think it is possible to do this with "internet radio quality" sound, i.e. a 128 kbps streaming stereo MP3. But this would only work for people with broadband internet connections who can upload with at least 64 kilobits/sec (or preferably 128). That will sound much better than Skype. I don't know if software for this already exists, but if there is enough interest in this sort of thing, then I could whip up something. For now, we'll simply use Skype, though. \:\) )

Thanks to everyone who showed up, and especially to Stephenc because it was very very early in the morning for him. \:D

#983658 - 02/17/07 03:41 PM Re: Live Online Recital
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
That sounded like fun! I've just downloaded skype and if you do another one and the timing is right, I think I'd like to try. I need a the performance practice I can get!

#983659 - 02/19/07 07:14 AM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think the question on everyones lips after our live recital was - WHO IS ROBERT FINLEY!! (the guy who gave us the flawless rendition of My Joys trancribed by Liszt (after Chopin). Well my search begun and may well have ended just as soon - is this him??

http://users.rcn.com/rfinley/

#983660 - 02/19/07 09:47 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes! I actually had a nice chat with Robert on Sunday and he knows about Piano World. He was also interested in trying out piano over PalTalk, so don't be surprised if he pops up over there. \:D That man can sure play circles around us! \:\)

#983661 - 02/19/07 03:58 PM Re: Live Online Recital
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
When you have a chance, please take this poll...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/11/23.html

Thank You.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#983662 - 02/19/07 04:44 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

thanks for the poll Frank - hope we get some encouraging responses!

#983663 - 02/19/07 05:09 PM Re: Live Online Recital
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Yes! I actually had a nice chat with Robert on Sunday and he knows about Piano World. He was also interested in trying out piano over PalTalk, so don't be surprised if he pops up over there. \:D That man can sure play circles around us! \:\) [/b]
He seemed like a very knowledgable and devoted pianist and musician - it was an honour to hear him play!

While PalTalk is a step up from Skype, an associated medium is called HereMe www.hearme.com. This is a step up again from PalTalk. They have a free trial version for up to 5 people for 14 days. This also might be worth checking out. And I've also made some investigations into the ejamming software mentioned by Frank - the demo video looks impressive!

#983664 - 03/03/07 10:11 AM Re: Live Online Recital
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A little update: we (me and stephenc and a bunch of random passerbys) just tried this out over PalTalk, and it works pretty well. Better than Skype, actually.

As far as I understood, in the PalTalk chat rooms, only one person at a time can talk. It also has good noise suppression, so when no one is talking, the line is silent (no static).

The piano sound is not super (slight distortion) but not too bad either. Because there is no hiss from all the open microphones like in Skype, the overall sound quality is better.

The downside of PalTalk is that the free version has a lot of advertisements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160005 Topics
2349680 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission