Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#983891 - 12/16/07 08:45 AM O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

Loc: London
Had a big break from piano (again!!). Now I got a week to learn O Holy Night.

I'm using the sheet music from here: http://musiced.about.com/od/lessonsandtips/a/xmasxmeets_2.htm

The good thing, its all in C major. The bad, Im stuck on the 2nd/3rd measure. I don't understand the timing. I can play the melody by ear (minus the bass clef) but when I follow the sheet music, it doesn't sound right.

Could someone play the whole thing and record it for me? Its a fairly short piece. Or if you can help me with that bit.

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#983892 - 12/16/07 10:46 AM Re: O Holy Night
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The arranger screwed up the first part. They've added an extra bar - the third measure shouldn't really be there. Measures 1-4 should be the same as mm. 11-14.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#983893 - 12/16/07 12:54 PM Re: O Holy Night
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I've been working on this one since September or so. It is playable as written and sounds fine. I would try recording it, but the cable that connects the digital to the laptop is currently being used on hubby's MP3 player. I will try to get it recorded tomorrow. Until then, I'd say just slow it down a lot and count it steadily. That's pretty much how I got it put together. That, and a lot of "Nope, do it again!" from my teacher! LOL Or you could do as Kreisler suggests and play 1-4 just as you do 11-14.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#983894 - 12/16/07 01:49 PM Re: O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
The arranger screwed up the first part. They've added an extra bar - the third measure shouldn't really be there. Measures 1-4 should be the same as mm. 11-14. [/b]
Thanks! Hmm thats something I should have figured out myself.

I guess the bass clef bit in the 'extra' bar needs to be scrapped too. I wonder what the arranger was thinking.

IrishMak, it would be really great if you can record it. I need something I can make reference to.

#983895 - 12/16/07 03:56 PM Re: O Holy Night
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hi Choppin'

I made a recording of this piece for you. It's not polished because I had sight read the music. Hope this will help you.

http://www.box.net/shared/5xd8s6hsgo

flickr

#983896 - 12/16/07 05:31 PM Re: O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

Kawaigirl1 that was beautiful!

And the intro sounds fine with the extra bar, I guess it is correct after all.

Many thanks for that. I can now get on with practicing.

#983897 - 12/16/07 05:41 PM Re: O Holy Night
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And she did that so very much better than I would have, anyway!! Nice job, KawaiGirl!

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#983898 - 12/17/07 12:49 AM Re: O Holy Night
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I would take out the extra bar; it sounds like an extra bar!

It's a very well known piece, so people expect that that next phrase to come in, and will wonder why it hasn't.

Have fun with it!

Edit: PS: Kawaigirl, I let the rest of the mp3 run while I was surfing, and there's an entire concert on there. Thank you for a lovely evening!

http://pdxknitterati.com

#983899 - 12/23/07 05:51 AM Re: O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

This is going fairly well. But I'm finding bar 18 a tricky bit on the bass clef where I need to move my hand down the board.

Any tips for this? Thats the bit I always stop at, I can play the bit after fine.

#983900 - 12/23/07 06:26 AM Re: O Holy Night
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
The second piece from Kawaigirl is fabulous, after "O Holy Night."

Thanks.

#983901 - 12/23/07 10:58 AM Re: O Holy Night
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My teacher had me using the pedal at measure 17 to maintain the sound so I can start the left hand jump a bit early in order for my hand to be there on time. Other than that, it was just practice slowly and gradually increase the speed. Those big jumps are where I can still get messed up, tho!

Kawai MP-4 digital

#983902 - 12/23/07 06:42 PM Re: O Holy Night
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

You're welcome Choppin \:\)

The only suggestion I can make for bar 18 is exactly what IrishMak says. Use the pedal to make that smooth connection and practise that jump. Practise at a slow enough speed that you don't have difficulty making that jump and then gradually increase your tempo from there.

flickr

#983903 - 12/23/07 11:04 PM Re: O Holy Night
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Weirdest thing happened

When I let Kawaigirl's rendition of Holy Night continue it restarts with a completely different song: Oltremare. It is long and beautiful. I don't know if it is a messed up address but if it is one of yours, Kawaigirl, is it available for download ? Really like it :p

Weirder still, after that, it continues with Open Arms, Requiem, Stella del Mattino, To Zanarkand, Valse in A Minor, Watermark, Words Left Unsaid, Alone in The Ring, An Jing (Silence), Ave Maria; now we have enough for a CD ;\)

Keeps going with Ballade pour Adeline, Bella Notte, Beloved (Lullaby), Big My Secret, Braveheart, Breathe (Greg must be proud!), Canzone Populare, Castles of Wonders, Colours of the Wind, bis, Comme au Premier Jour, and we have a double album

Carry on with Debbie, Dietro Casa, Dietro l'Incanto, Divenire, Forever Love, Fuori dal Mondo, Fuori Dalla Notte, Greensleeves, I due fiumi, I giorni, Julia, La Casa Nel Bosco complete the third CD,

And La Linea Scura, La Valse d'Amélie (J'aime beaucoup), Leaving Paris, Leo, Limbo, Lontano, Maiden's Prayer, Mary Queen of Scots, Metamorphosis Two, Nature's Fury bring us

Back to O Holy Night; i wanted to see if it could go all around; so now I only have to leave the box player open to listen to any of 40 Kawaigirl songs. \:D

Very nice repertoire KWG.

Cheers

#983904 - 12/24/07 11:10 AM Re: O Holy Night
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ddh:
Weirdest thing happened

When I let Kawaigirl's rendition of Holy Night continue it restarts with a completely different song: Oltremare. It is long and beautiful. I don't know if it is a messed up address but if it is one of yours, Kawaigirl, is it available for download ? Really like it :p

Weirder still, after that, it continues with Open Arms, Requiem, Stella del Mattino, To Zanarkand, Valse in A Minor, Watermark, Words Left Unsaid, Alone in The Ring, An Jing (Silence), Ave Maria; now we have enough for a CD ;\)

Keeps going with Ballade pour Adeline, Bella Notte, Beloved (Lullaby), Big My Secret, Braveheart, Breathe (Greg must be proud!), Canzone Populare, Castles of Wonders, Colours of the Wind, bis, Comme au Premier Jour, and we have a double album

Carry on with Debbie, Dietro Casa, Dietro l'Incanto, Divenire, Forever Love, Fuori dal Mondo, Fuori Dalla Notte, Greensleeves, I due fiumi, I giorni, Julia, La Casa Nel Bosco complete the third CD,

And La Linea Scura, La Valse d'Amélie (J'aime beaucoup), Leaving Paris, Leo, Limbo, Lontano, Maiden's Prayer, Mary Queen of Scots, Metamorphosis Two, Nature's Fury bring us

Back to O Holy Night; i wanted to see if it could go all around; so now I only have to leave the box player open to listen to any of 40 Kawaigirl songs. \:D

Very nice repertoire KWG.

Cheers [/b]
:eek that is strange ddh because I just clicked on the link and it did the same thing. Must be a bug in box.net

I edited the link and it now just plays "O Holy Night". Sorry if I had confused anybody.

Txs ddh, yes, those are my recordings. I'll PM you with the link to the Oltremare so you can download it.

flickr

#983905 - 12/22/08 06:25 AM Re: O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

Well I didn't manage to finish learning this last year. It went past Christmas so didn't feel right playing it.

Picking this up from last year. Can someone help me with bar 17? http://gardenofpraise.com/images/oholy.pdf

If you look at the bass clef, the first note is D#. Now when the arpeggio repeats the second time, is the first note a D or D#? D doesn't sound right in that chord. I was wondering if thats some music notation I'm not aware of i.e. they don't bother writing the # sign twice.

EDIT: was just reading my old posts and it appears I've gone backwards since last year since I mentioned bar 18 - lol! But I don't remember being able to play this far HT. I think I still learning HS this time last year.

#983906 - 12/22/08 08:22 AM Re: O Holy Night
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Accentidentals stay in effect for the remainder of the bar unless canceled by a natural sign.

#983907 - 12/22/08 10:10 AM Re: O Holy Night
Choppin' Offline

excellent, thanks! I'll have to remember that one, I'm sure this has cropped up before whilst learning a piece.

#983908 - 12/22/08 09:57 PM Re: O Holy Night
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
This is a piece I'm working on as well. I have an arrangement from an old "Sheet Music Magazine, 1997. I will definitely record this for the holidays!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (ando, AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, angga888, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1568 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156222 Topics
2294324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
23 minutes 31 seconds ago
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission