2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#984100 06/16/08 03:39 PM
DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I just joined the forum after lurking around here for a few weeks!

I'm a beginner (in my mid 30s) and have wanted to learn piano ever since I can remember but never had the opportunity. This year I decided my priority was to get started at all costs so I finally took delivery of my digital piano in Febuary this (a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240) year and started having weekly lessons. I'm loving every minute of finally beginning to learn piano.

Anyway the reason for posting is firstly to introduce myself, and secondly to mention that my Grade 1 examination date just came through (5th July). Gulp! Less than 3 weeks.

I've posted the 3 pieces I'm doing on YouTube. You can view them here:
http://drgaz.blogspot.com/search/label/Piano

I'd love to know what people think. My teacher says I'm going to be fine, but any words of advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
DrGaz

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your 'scatching' motion in the right hand of Cuckoo clock is perfect. I have three pupils up on July 9th. They're doing Sarabande, Andante and Cuckoo Clock. Best of luck. And welcome to the forum!

P.S. Don't speed up or slow down so much in the second Andante section.

My child played the same 3 pieces for her Grade 1.

The Andante is very good. Perhaps play it a little slower.

The cuckoo clock is also good.

The allegro in F. is slightly lacking, but should still be ready for your exam.

Well done.

Good luck.

Life without Piano is Death
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DrGaz, as an adult returner I think what you are doing should be applauded. I really enjoyed your recordings and what you are doing will inspire adults like myself who read your posting. Well Done!

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to you all for looking at my recordings and for your helpful & kind comments!

DrGaz

I
I
Wow! that was brilliant! a beginner you say huh.. smile

Welcome and congrats on the new piano.

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
DrGaz I'm an adult student too - did my gr. 1 on another instrument - what a thrill. I don't know if this is apt at all: On guitar you have a piece that flows like singing, and it has such clear phrases - the background accompaniment might have brought that out. I felt as though I wanted to hear that in the piano playing when you are at the technical level to do it, as you have it in you to do if you have it in another instrument. I don't know if I'm right about that. Your playing seems more than perfect as it is for the grade and exam, though. You'll do well, I'm sure.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DRGaz, can you tell me how long you've ben playing, what your lessons and practice consist or and do you find it difficult to play WITHOUT looking at your hands?

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by keystring:
On guitar you have a piece that flows like singing, and it has such clear phrases - the background accompaniment might have brought that out. I felt as though I wanted to hear that in the piano playing when you are at the technical level to do it
Hi Keystring, did you mean my guitar thing called "Tuesday Night"?
http://drgaz.blogspot.com/2007/12/drgazs-music-tuesday-night-video.html
If so, I have been trying to come up with a piano version that I might post on YouTube soon.

Originally posted by Ragtime Clown:
DRGaz, can you tell me how long you've ben playing, what your lessons and practice consist or and do you find it difficult to play WITHOUT looking at your hands?
Hi Ragtime Clown,
I started having lessons in Novemeber 2007 but I gave up for a couple of months as I still didn't have a piano. I finally got my Clavinova in Feb 08, so I've been learning seriously for 4 months now. I am completely obsessed with playing and spend most of my waking hours bashing it.

As for my lessons, they are usually weekly - every Saturday. I've had a few lessons specific to the Grade 1 exam - going through the pieces in detail / scales / aural practice etc. My teacher has also given me a mock test. We are also touching on some improvisation stuff and chords at the moment, which are quite fun. We have been doing some sight reading exercises, and I think we'll get down to some musical theory after my exam.

As far as home practice goes, I go through the pieces (must have played them 500 times each by now!). I like making up my own tunes, and I also have got some books from the library and have been learning other things fro them e.g. Arabesque, Menuett G dur BWV.Anh.114.

Playing without looking at hands is difficult, but I'm trying to make as much effort as possible with the sight reading, to force myself to find my way around by touch. I have been practicing some stride bass chords (is that the correct term?) and so far I am unable to play that without looking at hands because they jump around so much!

Cheers,
Gaz.

Hi Keystring, did you mean my guitar thing called "Tuesday Night"?
Nope - "Maybe Next Time" - the phrasing is so clearcut and defined, with a flow within. There is something especially nice that really stood out for me.

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd quite like to do a piano version of that, but haven't tried yet.

It is always interesting to cross instruments with music. What I was after, however, was the essence of what was done in that music: phrasing and flow. The piece matters less than what was within the piece musically. Am I making sense?

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I see what you mean about the essence of the music. I think what I like about piano is its versatility and expressiveness. I would certainly like to capture the feel of that guitar piece on the piano (when I am able to!)

G
G
Well done Dr Gaz I thought your piano playing was Jolly Good !
No criticism from me ...except I'm sure your teacher has told you On no account stop even if you go wrong . Just hit a few notes until you pick it up again
Good Luck in your exam
I have given you some stars !

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks very much!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DrGaz I got my Grade1 book and CD in the post today. I'm looking forward to returning to lessons in September. I have been playing at home for several months now but playing by ear has little or no discipline.

D
D
Whoa! You're not hanging around before doing your exams are you? I've taking mine in October - can't make july dates but hopefully the extra practice time will mean I can get the mini rag right up to speed! Either that or chicken out and pick a slower piece wink

You play both the Allegro and Andante faster than me. One thing that confused me slightly is that despite their names these two pieces are actually played at the same speed - I got the feeling you were going faster on the Allegro (as I was too initially) but as my teach pointed out they are both clearly marked as 88.

Good luck with the exam! Id be interested to hear abotu your experience afterwards. Are you ok with the oral tests too? I'm going to have to skip the 2nd oral part as I just can't control my voice pitch at all!

Incidently...with regards to your comment on your site about not doing the repeats; I mentioned this to my teacher as it does say they are not obligatory in the notes but my teacher said to play them unless the examiner specifically tells you it's not neccesary.

I have to say i'm impressed - no way would I have done an exam after only 4 months!!

1) tempi are nearly always editors suggestions
2) the examer will help you to sing in a key that suits you
3) no repeats

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
My exam is tomorrow morning....

Gulp!

Best wishes for tomorrow - and don't forget to celebrate afterward. These things are addictive, you'll probably want to go for the next one too. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The thread title sounds like something that could land you in prison but good luck!!!

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
Best wishes to DrGaz. Let us know how it went.

Yamaha WX3 Upright
Yamaha YPG 625 keyboard
DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks very much to you all!

Just brushing up on my sight reading as we speak!

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Couldn't resist Googling my examiner! Link below:

http://www.danielmoult.com/

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Today was the day, folks! I had my grade 1 exam this morning.

I arrived at the examination centre about 20mins early, and announced my presence to an old dear seated behind a uncomfortably low desk with an "ABRSM" sign next to it. The previous candidate (a piano grade 7) was slightly ahead of schedule, so she told me that I could start slightly early. I was taken upstairs to a practice room where I warmed up for a few minutes on a digital piano - a really dreadful Kawai. Playing that thing made me feel good about spending the extra money on my Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240. As I sat and played a few scales, a young girl blasted heck out of trumpet in the ajoining room in readiness for her exam. I filled in a slip of paper stating what pieces I would be playing and was soon led back downstairs into the sound-proofed exam room. I was eagerly met by my examiner - a young chap, who was very friendly and enthusiastic which put me at ease.

After a few seconds where I was allowed to get used to the piano I was asked to do some scales - D, Am and G. They went smoothly enough. Then it was contrary motion (both hands playing a C scale beginning at middle C and working outwards). Then I did some broken chords and arpeggios. I made a small mistake on the first arpeggio because I started playing it as a broken chord. I apologised and did it properly (hopefully I didn't lose marks).

I then played the 3 pieces. They went really well from what I can remember. The only mistake I made (a very minor one) was I played a D instead of an E on one of the repeating "tick-tock" phrases of "The Old Cuckoo Clock". I managed to continue playing through the mistake and made no further ones.

Then came the dreaded sight-reading test, and he chose me one that was in D Major, so there was loads of F#s and C#s to contend with. I think I got the whole thing about 80% correct as far as the notes were concerned, and around 70% correct as far as timing. My dynamics were sadly lacking. I noticed afterwards I should have played some of it loud (forte) and some soft (piano) I hope they don't mark me down too much

The examiner then took the driving seat and I had the aural test. This was pretty easy and over in a minute or two.

The whole thing went so quickly. It was scheduled for a duration of 12 minutes, but it felt more like 5 or 6. Overall I think I did pretty well, but I think I have to wait a few weeks for the results.

I'll go for Grade 3 next I think.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DrGaz,

I've really enjoyed this thread as I've been contemplating the ABRSM graded exams.

I hope you don't mind a couple of questions:

What was involved in the aural tests? (this aspect of the graded exams is a mystery to me).

You mentioned going for grade 3 next. How soon would that be (e.g 6 months or 12 months?).

EJR

D
D
Originally posted by DrGaz:
Couldn't resist Googling my examiner! Link below:

http://www.danielmoult.com/
Ha ha , very Sun Tzu. Know your enemy laugh

So you had your big day. It is interesting to see what is involved from the viewpoint of the student. What is difficult, easy, nervewracking etc other than just the requirements from a list.

What is the aural test?

Here is a grade 2 sample from a web page called e-Aural Trainer http://www.music-online.org.uk/ . They sell one for each grade complete with mp3's. Very handy.

A. Tap the pulse for this music, joining in as soon as you can, stressing
where the strong beat falls. Then say whether there are 2 or 3 beats in a
bar.
B. You will hear three short phrases. After each phrase, sing it like an echo
and in time. You will first hear the key-chord and the pulse. There are 2
beats in a bar.
C. You will hear a short phrase played twice and the rhythm or the melody
will be changed in the 2nd playing. Explain what the difference was. You
will first hear the pulse. There are 3 beats in a bar.
D. Listen carefully to the following piece and then answer the following
question.
Was the beginning staccato or legato?

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by EJR:
DrGaz,
What was involved in the aural tests? (this aspect of the graded exams is a mystery to me).

You mentioned going for grade 3 next. How soon would that be (e.g 6 months or 12 months?).

EJR
Keyboardklutz in the post above has described the aural test perfectly. What I experienced was exactly like that.

I would probably aim for grade 3 in 12 months but I will ask my teacher at my next lesson. I don't want to rush the grades, partially because I want to build my experience up a bit, and also because I'm enjoying the actual journey of learning.

What timescale do people think is good for doing grades. Is a grade a year sensible?

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by keystring:
On guitar you have a piece that flows like singing, and it has such clear phrases - the background accompaniment might have brought that out. I felt as though I wanted to hear that in the piano playing when you are at the technical level to do it...
I have had a go at doing that song on the piano and here it is. There's one or two mistakes but I think it's ok. I'd like to hear what people think:

Here is the link:
http://drgaz.blogspot.com/2008/07/drgazs-music-maybe-next-time-on-piano.html

Here is a link to my original guitar version of the song:
http://drgaz.blogspot.com/2008/01/drgazs-music-maybe-next-time.html

May I make what may sound like a strange suggestion? Do not move your right hand so much. Be absolutely still unless you need to change position. I think it will give the tune more continuity. I can see on the guitar you do a vibrato - you'll need a clavichord if you want to do that on keyboard.

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
May I make what may sound like a strange suggestion? Do not move your right hand so much. Be absolutely still unless you need to change position. I think it will give the tune more continuity. I can see on the guitar you do a vibrato - you'll need a clavichord if you want to do that on keyboard.
I see what you mean - looking again at the vid I can see that I am moving my right hand about quite unnecessarily. I will try to keep an eye on that. Thanks for pointing this out - I don't want to pick up bad habits.

Well I got my result for my grade 1!
I got a merit. I was 3 points away from a distinction. I had 127/150. Hopefully I will be able to get hold of my scores from my piano teacher soon and found out where I slipped up. Still I'm pleased with getting my grade 1, and will try to work even harder to get a distinction for grade 2! I am doing it in December

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DrGaz congratulations on Grade1 you done very well. You also have inspired me to start grades in the new term. I am working through Grade 1 exercises and pieces at the moment.

Congrats on your result Drgaz. A merit is no mean feat!

DrGaz Offline OP
OP Offline
If anyone's interested I have shown my grade 1 scores and examiner's comments at the following link

http://drgaz.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-got-my-grade-1-piano.html

D
D
Originally posted by DrGaz:
If anyone's interested I have shown my grade 1 scores and examiner's comments at the following link

http://drgaz.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-got-my-grade-1-piano.html
Thanks for that. This is very informative.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dr.Gaz that was very infooormative. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission