Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
155 registered (36251, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, ajames, 33 invisible), 1768 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 36 of 38 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 >
Topic Options
#2179324 - 11/08/13 07:24 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
lpcmidst128 Offline

Loc: California
I will be 30 next year. My family does not really have any musical background. My mom learned to play violin from people she worked and no real formal training.

When I was a young kid I heard other young kids play piano and my mom ask me if I want to learn. Of course I shyly said no so got the impression I don't have the music gene. It never rang a bell when I younger that I would be into music. Then in 4th and 5th grade there was an option to take music lesson free once a week for an hour. It was optional and it was my first exposure to music. Some of my friends in school were going for it in addition to my mom encouraging me to try, so I went for it. I remember the options were violin, woodwinds or brass. Majority of students went with violin. Since my mom has experience with playing the violin I did get a lot of help learning music. But like many kids, I don't like to spend time to practice and just want to go out and play. So I stopped playing after elementary school, many will continue on playing in middle and high school. During middle school there were holiday concerts and performances once in a while. While listening to others play I said to myself maybe I should not have quit. A few of my friends that did continue on with music from elementary school told me how cool it was to be part of a orchestra or band. But at that point I felt it was too late and probably could never learn music again. By the time I got to high school I started having the urge to learn to play music in particular the piano since it was a nice instrument sounds good playing solo. There were holiday concerts in school and that really spoke to me that I should go for it or I will regret it. Still I felt that I was too old or that its not possible to learn since most start playing music when they were young.

Finally when I started college I flipped through the catalog and see they have music courses, beginner courses. A friend of mine was taking music courses and suggested I give it a try. This was a community college where I mostly took GE (General Education courses) so did have room to fit in music classes. This was my chance to get back into music, I know that if I don't go for it I will regret that I didn't at least try. I was getting to my last few semesters before transferring to another college so had to act fast. I know I want to play piano but I wanted to learn more about music first. So I did take a music theory course to better understand the science behind it. Then I took a beginning piano course, the music theory course helped a lot. This would around 2003-2004 which was when I officially started. I bought a basic 61 key Yamaha keyboard which was good enough to get me started. After I transferred to another college to get my Bachelor of Science degree I pretty much went on my own from there.

I watched lots of videos on Youtube to get inspiration on what kinds of pieces to play. I am not the watch and learn type person rather I prefer to learn off sheet music. The type of music that I started with were mostly video game type music and beginner simplified stuff. The basic 61 keyboard was starting to become limiting because there were not enough keys and nothing like a acoustic piano. I did like the lcd screen that tells you what key/note is being pressed. I know I needed to upgrade to a 88 key digital piano. Thats when I found out about Piano World forums and bought a Casio PX-120, my first real digital piano in 2009. I was afraid that I might not be able to read sheet music easily without the help of the lcd screen. Turns out I can read music okay, thanks to all that practice. The music that really got me into playing a lot more was New Age type music like David Lanz, David Nevue, Tim Neumark and others alike from watching Youtube videos. The first piece I learned on my new digital piano was a David Nevue piece "Big Snow in Salzburg" which is still one of my favorite pieces to play today. Earlier this year I upgraded my Casio PX-120 and got a PX-850. One day I would like to by an upright piano. I didn't get the opportunity to play on acoustics much but the sound/feel is very different than my digital.

I am very glad that I discovered playing the piano even though I didn't start when I was young. I enjoy every bit of it from day one.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2179331 - 11/08/13 07:41 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
lpcmidst128 thanks for sharing your story how nice it is to get an insight into others journey.

While I am sure we all have regret about not starting out or not continuing with piano when we are young, it is what it is. I personally could not have managed to fit piano into my younger years and if I had I probably would have not enjoyed it as much as I do now.

#2180889 - 11/12/13 06:10 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Jayden Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Ok, so this is my first post.

My name is Jayden and I'm 19 years old. I live in Perth, Western Australia. I'm currently a student studying Japanese (私は日本語を勉強するのが好きです。) and looking for a second major (although it's hard when nothing else from the 'humanities' area really interests me'). I actually studied Computer Science previously, however I grew tired of looking at code every day.

I guess I am the type of guy that feels the need to try a lot of things. For example:

I played football for 13 years
Trained in karate for a couple years and Muay Thai briefly
Played golf since I was 12

I also find electronic engineering really interesting. Using various software I have created several extremely simple processors using my own instruction architecture.

My favorite sport is boxing. Although I myself have never trained in boxing, I would love to at one point. I've followed all of the fights of the greats from the last century ranging from Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Roy Jones Jr all the way up to Floyd Mayweather, who I regard as the greatest boxing technician of all time (and definitely the greatest defensive fighter of all time). I would pick Roy Jones Jr as the greatest of all time though (and I probably stand alone in saying that he would defeat Sugar Ray Robinson).

Anyway, I have always loved hearing people play the piano, so I finally decided to start learning it. I am an absolute beginner at this point, however, I generally succeed most en devours I undertake, so I am optimistic that I can utilize the vast amount of resources and knowledge the Internet has to offer in order to teach myself. There are a couple songs I would love to learn, so that's some good motivation as I won't stop until I have achieved this goal. As for the present however... well... I'll just be sitting here, in the corner, practicing Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Anyway, hopefully I will find a reason to post often on this forum, and gain some great knowledge from you guys. Previous forums I have frequented usually had a far lower average age (around my age), so it's going to be interesting to be a part of a forum in which the majority of the members are quite a bit older than me.

Cheers guys.

#2181172 - 11/12/13 04:34 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome Jayden - I hope piano brings you as much joy as it does to myself. You will find a vast amount of knowledge in this forum to help you make the right choices, either by searching by topic or posting new questions. No matter how silly or trivial they may seem all questions are indeed relevant if you are seeking an answer so don't hesitate to ask.

#2181486 - 11/13/13 09:34 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to PW, lpcmidst128 and Jayden!

@lpcmidst128 - Wow, what a detailed story! Thanks for sharing. Did you tried Ludovico Einaudi? I think you may like his music.
@Jayden - With such energy I'm sure you'll be very "happy" playing piano.

Looking forward to read about your progress.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2181559 - 11/13/13 11:33 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: CarlosCC]
Jayden Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

@lpcmidst128 - Wow, what a detailed story! Thanks for sharing. Did you tried Ludovico Einaudi? I think you may like his music.

Thanks, indeed I will. Be sure to make your 1000th post glorious.

#2181953 - 11/13/13 10:09 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: CarlosCC]
lpcmidst128 Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Glad to share my story with others. I listened to Ludovico Einaudi and the music is interesting. I haven't gotten into learning his pieces yet but perhaps in the future, Divenire sounds like nice one to learn. Many of the pieces I learned so far are David Nevue and Tim Neumark, I seem to get the hang of it.

#2181976 - 11/13/13 10:41 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
lpcmidst128 - isn't it a treat to discover you're never too old? You've picked some great composers and music to play - you'll find kindred souls here in the ABF with those!

Jayden - I used to watch the Friday Night Fights with my Dad, back in the early days of TV. Now my 23-year-old niece is boxing training - don't know if she actually boxes with a sparing partner. She was a health and exercise science major in college, and just got her personal trainer certificate. She loves it! But I do hope she doesn't get any teeth knocked out - yikes!

And, um, yes, I'm old enough to be your grandmother laugh But welcome to the forums anyway!

Cathy

#2194453 - 12/08/13 10:50 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
therightmoment Offline

Loc: WA, USA
Hello everyone. It is interesting reading introductions from some of you (there are too many!!!) So, here is mine:

I played recorder, clarinet, and a few other instruments in elementary, middle and only 1 year of high school in both the marching and concert bands. However, what I REALLY wanted to play was the drums but they said I was too small to march with them (the drums) so I took my relative's suggestion of the clarinet. (Today, I still regret that I did not do what I really wanted to do.) (They suggested the clarinet or the flute....how typical for a female in that community.)

Currently, I am 35 (I think LOL I'm not really keeping track here), veteran of 12 years (Army) now a SAHM of 2 kids age 6 & 5. I am practicing on my old Yamaha 235 which I bought a very long time ago, and have several starter books but never stuck to it. Last year, in Germany, took lessons from a student with my son for about 6 months.... it wasn't until I borrowed a friend's Yamaha P-155 that I LOVED the sound of making music and began practicing regularly. But I had to give it back so the practicing stopped- and then we moved. I decided it's time to order a new piano- it's really an expression of doing what I want to do. I am waiting on my Kawaii es100 to arrive.....it's taking so long. In the meantime, I am using a sustain petal I ordered from Amazon with my old Yamaha and I realized I didn't really NEED a new piano, just needed to rekindle the desire again. (Still, I can't wait because I know the sound will be amazing!)

I am excited about playing again and am practicing more and more. I am using the practice time on the piano as a way to escape the emptiness I currently feel from my marriage of 6 years (and the move I guess, and the cold weather... I suppose to be fair). We are in a lull.... and I need more passion and control and excitement in my life. The piano is a safe way to get all of that AND hopefully, do mini recitals at home and church or whereever as well in the future. I also hope that my renewed passion for the piano will spark freedom of expression and boldness with my kids as well. Unfortunately, when my son was taking lessons before- practicing regularly wasn't too pleasant for him and I am sorry for that and now he is no longer interested in playing. I am realizing I pushed my wants onto him, probably much like my relatives did on me with their suggestions to play the clarinet........or flute frown .... on another note (I said NOTE! haha) I enjoy listening to people's stories (was in a master's for mental health counseling), I LOVE any kind of live music, I love food and making food and entertaining, I love exploring new areas ... I take a lot of photos.. I love nature, movies, art.... yadda yadda this is long- I'll end here!

This site has been a great resource already for me. I look forward to participating in many of your events :-) P.S. Is there a way to have the newest posts appear first instead of going to the end I wonder? Thanks everyone!

#2194473 - 12/08/13 11:40 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
mr Super-Hundy, I have read your post, here:

subject: OT, Tell us about yourself

Many of us visit this forum everyday, sometimes, many times per day. We interact with each other constantly but know little about one another.

Although this is a bit off topic, I think its ok to sneak this one in as I would love to know just a little about who I am corresponding with almost every day.

If you don't mind, please tell us just a little about yourself. Nothing too personal, just maybe some of your other interests and hobbies.

I find myself replying to people a lot that I don't even know if they are a man or a woman, teenager, or filled with world knowledge. Also, it would be kind of neat to see what other members interests are.

Again, post only what you feel comfortable with. Let us all get to know each other just a little bit better.

Some info on me:

I live in Scottsdale Arizona (Pinnacle Peak) with Mrs Hunky whom I met back in 1984 in Connecticut where I grew up. We have lived here in Arizona for the past 20 years.

After destroying my joints being a former competitive athlete (spring board diving) and racing motocross motorcycles, I decided to find some tamer activities and today I not only enjoy my piano playing, but also swimming, scuba diving, and off road riding (in a modified Yamaha Rhino)...little 4wd buggy.

My wife raises and breeds Llama's and is very active in spinning and weaving of their wool (fiber). You can see some pics at

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com

I have been playing piano since May of 2004 so I will be coming up on 2 years this may. I have never took any "official" lessons, but I have been given a lot of great advice from other forum members.

As with my other hobbies, I enjoy piano for very specific reasons; mostly due to the fact that I can really relax and unwind while playing music.

This year, I will be 40!! yikes!, I am finding myself "shifting" gears a little from extreme, "break your bones" sports and activities to more enjoyable and rewarding interests that seem to last a lot longer than the quick adreneline rush of a huge motorcycle jump.

I have'nt turned into a woman...yet!! ;\) , but I am starting to appreciate things in a different light. (possible mid-life crisis??)

Anyway, thats about it!, not too exciting, but always interesting.

How about giving us just a little info about yourself??

_______

It is interesting what you say.

You say: Many of us visit this forum everyday, sometimes, many times per day. We interact with each other constantly but know little about one another.

Although this is a bit off topic, I think its ok to sneak this one in as I would love to know just a little about who I am corresponding with almost every day.

If you don't mind, please tell us just a little about yourself. Nothing too personal, just maybe some of your other interests and hobbies.

I find myself replying to people a lot that I don't even know if they are a man or a woman, teenager, or filled with world knowledge. Also, it would be kind of neat to see what other members interests are.

Again, post only what you feel comfortable with. Let us all get to know each other just a little bit better.

I say: Whether you speak to people on the street or on a subway, or in Piano World, you learn "a million things" by every word you read or hear spoken, because words are a priceless gift because each word tells of one's education, sex (man o women child or teenager), whether they are angry, frustrated, have a good outlook on life from your perspective. But looks are only skin deep so there is no reason to ever know anything about people other than what they say or post. You know that if someone tells you something that you know not to be true even it is only about a stone or an apple or the sun in the sky, it tells you that for some reason the person doesn't want to tell you the truth for some reason. So that is why reading or posting to other people on the planet is so interesting because each word is an x-ray of the person, even if they say yes, or no to whatever anyone has posted or posted in reply.

I think I have said enough.

Cheers,

3D08MH

#2194536 - 12/08/13 02:54 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

thanks for the introduction therightmoment (cracking name). Piano is hard but sure but the simple act of being able to play music of any level is so fulfilling you wonder how you ever got along without it. good luck with the new piano and hope to read posts of your progress.

#2196791 - 12/13/13 12:41 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
therightmoment Offline

Loc: WA, USA
Thank you @Earlofmar :-) Still trying to navigate this forum as there are many topics out here! But I am enjoying playing - and everyday :-)

#2196866 - 12/13/13 05:41 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to PW, therightmoment!!!
Nice to read about your story. I'm sure you're in the right place. PW is great!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2215591 - 01/16/14 07:35 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
ManuPetrof Offline

Hi,
great forum. congratulations for the honest and helpful interaction.
I am 45 and am back to piano for the last 3 years. I learned when I was a kid, but cant tell exactly how much. I remember having played pieces like the Beethovens Sonata 49.2, but not sure how fast and how well technically.
The fact is that I am here as an adult learning piano. I got as a present a Schimmel 130T and play around 3 hours a week.
I am interested in classical music, but one year ago I was invited to play keyboard in a local Big Bang. I am learning how to play with others, which fascinates me. I also like the fact that we develop some social life around the passion for music we all share.
Given that I have a demanding job, two kids, a wife and both parents in good health, I unfortunately must say I have more passion than time to practice.
Luckily, my son got engaged in music, and was accepted in the reputable National Conservatory of Spain. He is now in his third year of piano, and also loves singing with the Choir. He has some videos available in the Internet.
End of the story for January 2014, we play Green Onions, Texedo Junction, Proud Mary, Mack the knife... and sometimes spend time with Beethoven and his sonatas.
Warmest Regards,
ManuPetrof (now ManuSchimmel)

Edited by ManuPetrof (01/16/14 07:36 AM)

#2215798 - 01/16/14 04:27 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome ManuPetrof (Schimmel)

#2215838 - 01/16/14 05:51 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sammae Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON
Hi Everyone!

I've been around asking a few questions, but have yet to actually introduce myself.

I'm 28, married to by DH Steve who I've been with since high school. We have a black lab, 2 cats, and live in our hometown outside of Ottawa.

I have a BSc in Biology that I've never used. I was working in Gov't customer service, but have been a 911 dispatcher for Fire and Ambulance for the last year. I hated the job at first - training was the most stressful thing I've ever done - but I've come to appreciate it as I get better. I love working the 12 hour shifts as I find it gives me a lot more free time where I'm not exhausted from a day of work.

I have played piano from the age of 6. I had a great, but mean teacher that I took lessons from until age 15, when I developed tendonitis and needed a break. My teacher died a few months later. I kept playing, but for fun - including the Blues and Jazz bands at school, and the music ministry at Church.

Due to some family situations, my mom had to sell our piano when I was in 1st yr University.

In 2009, after school, I bought a piano and had it for about 2 months before we moved (again) and I left it with my dad for my stepsister to play. I whined about not having a piano in our new house but always just gave the excuse that the house is too small (it really is.) Finally, I decided that having a piano again was more important than the aesthetics of our house and here I am!

I've only been playing again for about a month, but I'm amazed at how quickly things are coming back to me and the improvement I'm seeing after playing daily for 4 weeks.

I'm one of the members here who isn't a beginner, but I'm certainly no professional (as you can see from the pieces I'm working on). I like the welcoming atmosphere on the ABF, but I'm enjoying signing up for recitals on the PF.

Currently I'm working on a few Chopin pieces, and have a bunch of new music on order! Some of my selections are pieces my mom really likes - I've always enjoyed learning those pieces - so next up for learning is Beethoven - Pathetique, 2nd movement.

Another really important thing about me is that I have ridiculously tiny hands! I'm talking so small I've only ever met 1 adult with smaller hands. So small that random people exclaim at me "Oh my god! Your hands are so small!". I can stretch an octave, barely. That's it. When you throw in an 8ve chord with a few black keys, it's hit or miss as to whether I can play it. This is how I injured my wrists to begin with so I'm being very careful. I'm learning to improvise around it and figuring out what notes to drop so I can play through a piece. This might be one of the really important reasons for me to get a teacher in the next few months.

Aside from playing the piano (my renewed joy!) I love camping on islands (love the seclusion with the handiness of being able to pack up our boat), snowshoeing and cruises that take us to new places.

And this is my long-winded introduction!

Nice to meet you all, and take care!

Sam

Working on:
Chopin - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 No. 2
Deubussy - Suite bergamasque - Clair de lune

#2215880 - 01/16/14 07:28 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome Samme - long winded introductions are the best. Always great to hear how someone eventually ended up here. The ABF has quarterly recitals you might be interested in. The next one goes live Feb 15, It will open for submissions Feb 1st. All levels and musical tastes are welcome. I think this month we are going to see a few people submitting their first ever pieces so that's always exciting for us, excruciating for them lol.

#2216783 - 01/18/14 05:06 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
NatGos Offline

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I'm 30. I'm married and have four lovely children (a daughter aged 8, and three sons aged 6, 4, and 6 months).
I live in South Yorkshire in the UK.

I took piano lessons from age 8 until 18 though I only ever took Grade 3 when I was about 10 years old. After that I didn't take any further exams but I had weekly lessons and by the time I was 18 I was playing pretty advanced pieces...

...but then life happened!

So I'm returning to the piano after 12 years of not even touching one. I bought myself a digital piano which arrived yesterday. I'm not taking lessons though - just going solo. It's kind of horrifying how rusty I am, but after a couple of hours of practice I'm able to just about manage a shaky Fur Elise.
Goodness knows how long it'll take me to get back to the standard I used to be, but probably a long time. It's kind of depressing but I have perseverance!

In other non-piano related topics, I'm an aspiring author. I have one ebook self published. This is my website : www.wolfborn.co.uk

Finding the time to write though is difficult. Probably even more-so now that I'm committing myself to the piano again.

I'm really a rock chick at heart. I like nothing better than donning my "goth" attire and heading to a rock nightclub to mosh to some metal or rock music (no I haven't grown out of "that phase" yet lol). Not that I get much opportunity to really - twice a year at the most, but I do look forward to it.
My favourite singer is Alice Cooper.

I guess that's probably it for me really - you get the general gist smile

Edited by NatGos (01/18/14 05:12 PM)

#2216809 - 01/18/14 06:01 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

welcome NatGos I hope you manage to fit in enough time to play piano with four kids and be an author, sleep is over rated anyway. I don't think many of us who really love music ever grow out of the music of our youth. It's certainly not a bad thing.

#2216871 - 01/18/14 08:14 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
NatGos - you have a cool family smile If you're having fun playing piano, who cares if you're rusty? your kids will love it and remember it always. When I play for senior homes there's always someone who tells me their mother used to play Mozart as they were going to sleep, or they remember the dance songs. So just have a good time! And nice piano, too - I bet you'll love it.

Cathy

#2217529 - 01/20/14 08:57 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome ManuPetrof, Sammae and NatGos!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2255662 - 04/01/14 10:14 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Oddsox Offline

Loc: not LA, California
Hello,
I studied piano a long time ago as a kid using the Leila Fletcher Piano Course books. When I told my mother I was thinking of studying again she sent me a new(ish) book 1 and my original book two. She used to teach, but I still can't believe she kept any of my books. It's over 30yrs old! I also had Bastien's Easy Piano Classics, but didn't get very far, probably because I never finished book two of the Fletcher Method books.

For years I thought when my mother passed, I'd have her piano shipped out and I'd start taking lessons again. Recently, I realized that's pretty stupid. It's something we could enjoy together now. Plus she's 73 and hits the gym 3x a week. She may out live me! hehe

I was quite surprised a few weeks ago during my "free intro lesson," that I can sort of still read music. As long as you don't venture too far away from middle C. So, I bought a little digi piano (not too little-88 keys) and worked through book 1 a bit. Then I cracked open Bastien's Easy Piano Classics, and stupidly tried to jump into a piece. hehe Not surprising, I'll need just a tad more practice, but I'm excited to start. wink

Wanting to hit the ground running before my first lesson, I picked up a copy of the same flash cards I used as a kid. Also, accidentally bought a bad beginner Jazz book (as in level 1 was not the first book). hehe I officially start lessons tmr at place called Modern Music School.

A little more about me? NY transplant in California, glad I don't have to shovel snow anymore. Music taste ranges from Duke Ellington, to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, to Stones to Yo-yo Ma and Bach to cheesy 80s tunes (think ELO, Cheap Trick, Adam Ant). Although not sure I'd ever want to play an Adam Ant tune on the piano. hehe I'd love to play some jazz pieces at some point. When not practicing piano, I'll probably be practicing kenpo. I just got back into martial arts too. Can't wait for Game of Thrones to start.

Question?
Are there any method books at ultra beginner level that include jazz pieces? I know improvising is not about to happen any time soon, but it would be nice to play something "jazz-ish sounding." Most of the beginner jazz books I've looked at appear to be geared towards intermediate and beyond players looking to learn jazz improv, rather than ultra beginner. :P

#2255711 - 04/02/14 12:20 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum Oddsox (great name). Can't help you on beginner Jazz books but best of luck on your journey and don't stop telling us about it.

#2255773 - 04/02/14 04:11 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: earlofmar]
Oddsox Offline

Loc: not LA, California
Thanks! I had a puppy years ago that ate the heel out of one of every pair of socks I owned. For months my socks rarely matched. Then I just gave up or gave in, and always wore 2 different colored socks. One day someone said something like, "You always have 2 odd socks," while I was out with friends. Some how it became "Oddsox" and it stuck, wish I could remember who said it.

I tried to come up with a piano-ee sounding nick... but I always fall back on this one.

#2255830 - 04/02/14 08:44 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hi oddsox, welcome to the forum. I'm sure your early training will come back to you pretty quickly with a little practice and the help of a teacher.

This book Best Jazz Standards Ever has fairly easy arrangements, most of which work well. If you order it be sure to get the Easy Piano version (marked on cover at top), as there is also a harder version with the same title I believe.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2309409 - 07/31/14 03:38 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
pdxfz1 Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi everyone. I am a newbie here at the forum as well as a newbie at piano.

I am originally from Jakarta, Indonesia. Left the country to Singapore for high-school education for 4 years then off to Southern CA for my College degree in Computer Science. After college I found a job and stayed in Southern CA.

I have since move to beautiful, green, and organic Portland Oregon. And this is where I am currently resides with my wife and 2 young boys.

When I was little (I forgot at what age possibly 6-8 yrs old) I wanted to take piano lesson. I didn't get much support from my parents. I am the youngest of 9 siblings in the family so resources were tight when you have to care and feed 9 kids. Buying a piano for this little kid was definitely out of the questions. After 2 or 3 lessons I quit because there was no point if I could not practice.

Anyway fast forward to today. When my oldest boy took up piano back in April, the desire to learn the piano again was rekindled. At first my wife was the one that took him to piano lesson and helped him practice at home. But then his lesson got more complicated and I stepped in to help. Watching him learn ignited the desire in me to be able to play the piano too. My oldest son is 7.5 years old now and he seems to progress really well in his piano lesson and so last weekend we decided to get him a real piano (we had been practicing on a cheap keyboard up to this point).

Anyway, sorry for the long narrative. But long story short I decided to take a lesson as well and will be starting next week and we will have the piano delivered tomorrow. We are so excited.

Here is my other hobby:
- Photography (taking it, post-processing it to make it balance and beautiful)
- Cooking (motto: if it is impossible to get the dish here, find the recipe and cook it)
- Eating (the above hobby was to support this one)
- Crabbing and Clamming at the Oregon Coast (This is also to support the above hobby)
- Listening to calm music from all genre.

Thank you for listening. And sorry for the rambling.

PS: my youngest son started to take piano lesson too last month. Hopefully he and I stick with the lessons long-term.

Edited by pdxfz1 (07/31/14 03:50 PM)

#2309461 - 07/31/14 05:58 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome pdxfz1, I hope to hear hear more of your new adventure to learn piano and I also hope that like me it gives you hours of pleasure and reward in the process. Warning though the first year or two is hard (I am nearly the end of my second year) but having a teacher to guide you through makes it easier.

#2309511 - 07/31/14 08:30 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: pdxfz1]
Donzo Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Originally Posted By: pdxfz1

But long story short I decided to take a lesson as well and will be starting next week and we will have the piano delivered tomorrow. We are so excited.

Congrats! I started with my (then 7 y.o.) son a little over a year ago. (I never played piano before then). I think it is great to learn with your children.

#2309534 - 07/31/14 09:41 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
MandyD Offline

Hello I'm a 42 year old nurse from lovely (but wet and windy at the moment) Gippsland in Victoria, Australia. I'm a single mum to 2 beautiful girls aged 12 and 8. I, like so many others, have always wanted to learn the piano but never had the opportunity, so when my youngest daughter out of the blue said she wanted to learn I booked her into lessons straight away. I struck gold with the teacher, and about 2 months in listening to my daughter playing stuff, I couldn't contain myself any more and asked the teacher if I was too old to learn as well? So needless to say we are both having lessons together and it's a great bond I now share with her. We bought a digital Kawai KDP90 a couple of weeks ago and since then I have hardly been off it, and I can't believe how much I have progressed in such a short amount of time. Last night I stunned myself when I pulled out the Alfred's L1 Greatest Hits book and actually played (very haltingly I admit) Beauty and the Beast - I couldn't even read the music to it 2 weeks ago lol. I'm even thinking of entering that song into the recital if I can get it down pat enough in the short time remaining.

I also love to horse ride (something I share with my eldest daughter), paint, draw, read, gardening & I'm currently renovating our house as well. I'd love to retire and just play the piano, do my art & write a novel. We have 5 horses & ponies, a Kelpie dog, a cat and a gold fish. I just had to give away my chickens as the dog kept getting to them (bad dog!). So this is basically me in a nut shell lol.

Edited by MandyD (07/31/14 09:42 PM)

#2309544 - 07/31/14 10:01 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: earlofmar]
pdxfz1 Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Welcome pdxfz1, I hope to hear hear more of your new adventure to learn piano and I also hope that like me it gives you hours of pleasure and reward in the process. Warning though the first year or two is hard (I am nearly the end of my second year) but having a teacher to guide you through makes it easier.

Thank you earlofmar. Congratulation on almost finishing your 2nd years. And happy birthday :-)

I am hoping that I would have the discipline to keep the lesson going long term. Thank you again

Page 36 of 38 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
12/17/14 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
12/17/14 03:31 PM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159944 Topics
2348856 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission