2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, David Boyce, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 74 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 73 74
Hello. who am i ? (huami)

my name is tricia. I live in byron bay australia.

i am an emerging artist - or at least i was. I recenly damaged one eye, so am looking to replace my love for painting with music seeing as i cannot paint well any more.

20 plus years ago, i had a muso friend who went to england & i baby sat his piano for him while he was away. i took some lessons back then while i had it, and it was a lot of fun.

if any aussie's out there remember "Blackfeather"
then they would remember Paul Wyld playing that very same piano.

here is a youtube video of the piano player in question - (but of course playing on a different piano.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_3yfId1xM

Now i want to play again to keep myself happy. It is really difficult to give up painting, but it is not the end of the world - there is always something else i can do to replace the hoy of it.

i do not have a piano yet. i looked at a Yamaha P70 digital stage piano - full size. it seemed nice - nice touch - nice sound. just thought i would run it by you experts first before i went ahead & bought it. I did post my question in another section.

i look forward to hanging out & learning & getting to know & listen to you all.

cheers

tricia

tricia
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Tricia,
Welcome! I know some friends who live or who used to live near Byron Bay. From pictures I have seen, it's a very pretty place.

I've tried the P70 last summer. It's nice for its price, but I remember there were either no speakers, or they are pretty small. But if that's not objectionable, and you like the sound and touch, it's a worthy buy. The other thing I would suggest is to try out some other brands (e.g. Roland, Kawai) and see how you like them. They do feel and sound different. Some people feel very partial to certain brand!

Good to have you hang out here!

[Linked Image]
L
L
hello,
my name is Mervyn, 27. i studied social work in Gent, but really wanted to study philosohy, which i'm finishing now after 4 years here in Leuven. my main thing next to piano is hiking. been in norway, iceland, france, germany, wales, scotland, england, turkey, everytime for something like 3 up to 5 weeks over the last 7 years.
after the exams in june i'm going to take a hiking-holiday of two months, and then i'll be looking after a job (must be easy as a philosopher, right?).
started piano (HP203) a few months ago, with a teacher, but i'm thinking i might try to learn by myself from now on. i'm really enjoying it, and the posts on this forum seem helpful.

Just wrote an introduction, but it vanished! frown Quick version: I am 73, in SC in winter & Orcas Island, Washington in summer, third attempt to learn to play with a circuitous route to this point in my life -- so, I'm leaving out all the stuff about my greatgrandfather's reed organ that rode with him when he was a circuit preacher, learning to play "Irish Washerwoman," playing at cornet and alto horn in school bands, detours to drama school (my #1 passion - theater -- and much of my time is spent acting, running lights, ushering, other theatre-related activities), lifelong love of baseball (shared by my late husband), and what I claim was "temporary insanity" after my husband died & I bought a condo on Orcas Island, all the way across the country, and got there by traveling in a second-hand car all over the southwest so I could see places I had never been. That's also where my love for music rapidly grew geometrically, thanks to the the Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival and the incredible pianist Jon Kimura Parker. A member of this forum has been coming out there to hear him the last few years, and she suggested I look into PW forum. She has been very encouraging of my growing desire to learn to play, since she started herself at an advanced age (not as advanced as mine, but -- hey, why not??) So yesterday I had my first lesson on my new Yamaha YDP213, from the same teacher I took lessons from back in the early 1980's. cool

Time to practice -- Hanon exercises and CPE Bach Pastorale in D.

Annette (raw beginner)
"Excellence is a game of inches"
- Tom Peters
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome Luevenaar! Hope you have a great time on your hiking holidays. Where are you planning to go?

Annette. It's never to late start. 73 is really quite young these days. People run for president when they are in their 70's these days! smile

See you both around the forum.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been posting here since January, but never introduced myself on this thread so here goes.

My name is Michelle, mom3gram is my user ID, taken from mom of 3, grandma of ...... which happens to be 10 right now. Born in NY, I've lived in NJ for 40 years. I lost my husband 7 years ago this month. I just turned 63 a couple of weeks ago.

Two years ago, I purchased an inexpensive Yamaha keyboard sort of on a whim, although I had wanted one for a long time. Inexpensive because I am not wealthy, but also because I have another expensive hobby and didn't know if I would stick with this. After a few attempts to play the darn thing from EZ Play Today books, I watched my two oldest grandchildren learning real piano, and decided that if they could do it, I could do it. Forgot to tell you that I have two sisters who flunked piano and the nuns used to tell me to just move my lips when the class was singing, so I don't exactly come from good musical stock.

Anyway, I borrowed a couple of Bastien primer books from the grandkids who had outgrown them and somehow found this forum. When I read the Alfred Adult Book 1 thread I decided to get the book for myself and here I am - slowly slogging through Alfred's and dreaming about someday replacing my 61 key keyboard with a digital piano.

Oh, my other hobby - I am a watercolorist, exhibiting and selling my work in the NY/NJ area where I've done quite well with awards, and sometimes sales.

I also joined a senior tap class a few years ago. Not so talented in that area either, but they insist that I participate in the yearly tap show anyway. So far no one has thrown anything at me, and there is always applause at the end of our number so I must sort of look like I know what I'm doing.

I love this forum because I can find people like me who came to piano late in life, and I've learned more here than I ever expected about music, pianos, and how to practice.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hi all,

I'm a 38-year-old woman in Colorado. Colorado has been my home for 10 years and I love it, but I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. I've been studying classical piano since I was about 9, majored in it for three years in college, until I realized i wasn't THAT good, and switched my major to journalism. It took me 20 years to find my passion for music again, and here I am.

Today I am particularly interested in jazz improvisation, theory and composition and I'm lucky to have found a private teacher out here to study with.

In Chicago I had a beautiful Haddorff grand piano that I gave up when I moved out here. When I became interested in music again I bought a Yamaha baby grand and I love it. It's brand new, and I love that we are growing together.

I am a civil servant and I love my job and the agency I work for. I have become a bit of an amateur naturalist over the last few years. My other interests include hiking, wildlife observation, camping (in a tent, not a camper!) and I am a hospice volunteer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mom3gram:
Oh, my other hobby - I am a watercolorist, exhibiting and selling my work in the NY/NJ area where I've done quite well with awards, and sometimes sales.
Hi mom3gram, Fatastic! I love watercolor paintings and would love to see some of your work. Do you have a web site?

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No website, but I have a blog for my watercolors, as well as one for myself and some friends. You may enjoy scrolling down to see some of the older posts on mine.

www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com
www.lesbellesartistes.blogspot.com

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No website, but I have a blog for my watercolors, as well as one for myself and some friends. You may enjoy scrolling down to see some of the older posts on mine.

Thanks mom3gram! Very nice, I like your close-up of your Chrysanthemum or Dahlia. You must have lots of patience to paint in transparent watercolor style. Another wonderful hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
B
B
hey everyone, its been awhile. i was never a prolific poster but i did contribute from time to time. the reason i stopped was due to falling behind in many other aspects of my life, but i think i've caught up for the most part. just to give an update on my quest to becoming an animator, I did get accepted into the first school of my choice which is University of the Arts up in Philadelphia. The only possible thing that would stop me from attending is the rather high price tag of tuition. i was also accepted into my back up school which is Savannah College of Art and Design in Gerorgia, obvoiusly. But I haven't gotten my scholarship notification yet and i'll be needing those. because even my backup is rather expensive. (i guess i don't plan too well, and attack life with optimism and hope.) anyhow, as far as piano is concerned, Im slowly making progress and but too slowly in my opinion so im in the process of re-evaluating my approach to become more effective. Both schools have a music program, which the one in Philly is primarily jazz.

I did my first piano festival in february and performed with less anxiety than i expected but did a so-so performance in my opinion, but i still remain proud of my efforts regardless. I was received a satisfactory rating from each of the two judges. But this was just a quick update on things i'm going through and hopefully i'll be able to start posting more, so for those who care, THANKS FOR CARING!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mom3gram, really enjoy you blog. The Iris is my favorite.

Good to hear from Beethovan Fan, whichever Art school you end up at, all my best to you. "...attack life with optimism and hope" that's not such a bad thing!!

ColorKeys, You must be quite advanced in your playing since you majored in piano in college. BTW I have very high regards for hospice volunteers. I was very impressed with the hospice program that my friend was in last year (in Spokane, WA.)

[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Welcome Luevenaar! Hope you have a great time on your hiking holidays. Where are you planning to go?
that would be Wales (Cambrian Way) and Norway (Hardangervidda) again. i'm still mainly getting experience, in the hope i can go to Alaska in a few years, when i feel ready for it. or do the Pacific Crest Trail or Continental Divide Trail from Vancouver to Tijuana smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Leuvenaar,
All your potential hiking destinations sound wonderful. Many National Parks in the US are great too. Going farther, the Na Pali Coast of Kauai is supposed to be great. So are many places in New Zealand (S. Island).

[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Leuvenaar,
All your potential hiking destinations sound wonderful. Many National Parks in the US are great too. Going farther, the Na Pali Coast of Kauai is supposed to be great. So are many places in New Zealand (S. Island).
yes, so many places to see. unfortunately, since i'm still a student, my travel budget isn't all that big, so i'm pretty much obliged to stay in europe (of course, the purchase of a DP doesn't do the budget any good:)). that was one of the reasons why i began hiking, only the transportation is expensive (and the gear of course, i try to keep that to a minimum). hope to visit some national parks some day, and yes, new zealand is definitely on my list. thanks for the tips, googled Na Pali and it does seem great. my list is becoming endless... as probably the list with pianoworks that i would like to play will be. i'm so hoping on reincarnation smile

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M

Very impressive painting mom3gram, you should do some piano watercolors... laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm...piano watercolors - great idea. I'll have to see what I can do about that. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
....I have seen a "Cheese piano" and a "Pink Piano" (both grands) it's amazing how much creativity we have out there....

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
Good morning All,
Chris here , aka Naked Shaman. 51 yr old male,
life long resident of Savannah , Ga. Father of two , my 25yr old son is the musician in the family. That is till now. I have ALWAYS wanted to be musical and started my journey three years ago by joioning the church choir. Since have joined the Hand Bell choir and 1.5yrs ago began piano lessons.

Avid student of "A Course in Miracles" , love to read , used to be an active cyclist , gardener but have suffered from RA for 26yrs and it has taken it's toll on my body. As a result of the RA I also have challenges playing the piano.

Work for China Shipping , ocean container carrier. 21yrs in the biz , it pays the bills , that's about all I can say about it.....

Naked

Z
Z
A little about me...

I'm 25 years old. If you recognize the meaning of my username, it might give away my profession :p . I've had a hobby of building synthesizers for years, and that interest in electronic music spawned an interest in classical, which in turn spawned an interest in piano. And so I'm hear trying to make some progress smile

Page 22 of 74 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission