2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 74 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 73 74
Originally Posted by Manowar
So no regrets on the 630? That might be my upgrade by the end of the year.

Edit: I see they got a brand new DGX-640 just out. Havent looked into it yet though.

Hi Manowar,

Really love the 630. Piano sounds excellent to my untrained ears. It is fun recording my efforts to midi file (no digital audio though).
Biggest downside is built-in speakers are rubbish, I run the piano through my stereo instead. Also a lack of lid means the keys get dirty real quick (and I have young kids with sticky fingers). Can't say I use the extra 12 keys much! Some of the other features are gimmicky (pitch bend?) and I don't care much for the "styles" (dull) and drum beats. The keyboard action is nice, but nowhere near a real piano in terms of volume range. I think you need to move to the Clavinova range if you want more quality, but we are talking big bucks there.

I had a quick look at the new 640, and can't see much new. Polyphony is still 64, although there are a few more voices. Looks like more of a restyling job?

Yamaha DGX-630
Moving slowly through The Piano Handbook...up to Bach Prelude in C Major

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hello, new here! New to piano playing (as of Christmas day 2009!). but not new to music. I played bass clarinet in highschool for five years, and started guitar (classical) when I was about 25.
Love to sing and have a decent voice.
I'd always thought it would be great to play the piano, and last November, while driving with my husband (25th anniversary coming up June 2010!) listening to a dvd of Chopin, I voiced my thoughts.
His reply was to ask if I'd like a keyboard for Christmas!

On Christmas day I started with my Yamaha NP-30. I've been very good, playing every day - some days just half an hour, other days more (in sessions - I can't play for too long at one sitting yet).
I have a great teacher and I'm thrilled to be living a life-time dream.

I grew up in Ottawa,Canada and moved to Italy in 1994. I'm still in Italy as you can see by my nickname.

I love music, literature, films, cooking and wine.
I teach ESL, have my own business, am a certified sommelier.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hello everyone.
Just stumbled upon this site today, but already I am hooked and it seems like this is the forum for me.
Adult: Check. Just retired end of last year.
Beginner: Check. Started taking piano lessons about 2.5 years ago

I've now made it through the level three book and while I find learning each new song very difficult and extremely frustrating, at the same time I am consumed by the process. Not sure what I can contribute but I am an electrical engineer, so if you are hooking up a digital keyboard and stuck with a ground loop, I can help. Before retirement, I really wondered what I would find that would be as fulfilling as engineering. Well, music and the piano seem to be filling in very nicely.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Soundthumb. Sounds like you will fit right in. thumb

What kind of piano do you have, and what pieces are you working on?

Jim

PS. If I didn't live in South Florida, SanDiego would be my choice. Great area. cool

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the welcome. I've gotten through Alfred's basic adult books (3 levels) and am now working through "First Classics" by Frank Metis. It seems to be kind of a medley of greatest classical hits. At first I didn't like the idea of just learning snippets of classical pieces, now I'm changing my mind. It probably is not a bad idea to order the variety appetizer plate when you don't have a clear idea of what your really want.

I started piano lessons because I wanted to play rock and roll. Signed up with a local teacher who has a very good reputation. Only later noticed that her card says "Classical instruction" in small print down at the bottom. Now my problem is that the classical pieces are just so beautiful that I can't quit. Suppose I'll have to teach myself rock and roll on the side.

Oh, I have a Roland Fantom X8. Got it because I thought I was going to enjoy sound design and patch creation. Turns out once I have a patch dialed up, I start to hear the music that could be played with that patch. Next thing I know, it's time for bed and I never got around to doing the sound design and patch modification.

Yes, it would be tough to leave San Diego. Have only been to Florida once on a one day business trip, so really have no idea what the state is like.

[Linked Image]
Hi everyone, i've only just found this forum and thought this thread would be a good place to start!

I'm 26, from Scotland and i'm a born again beginner! I played piano for around 2 years into my early teens when my piano teacher moved away and i hadn't played much since. I've been looking for a teacher and found one close by with a place which i snapped up! Only had one lesson so far and i am starting from the very beginning again.

I am an accountant for a law firm and my only other hobby is keeping fit at the gym. Hoping that leaves plenty of time for practice, at the moment i want to jump ahead and learn all the music i want to play but trying to be patient and not run before i can walk.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you, i'm sure i'll be needing plenty of advice from here on in!

The difference between the possible and the impossible lies in a person's determination.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Kells, be welcome!

Originally Posted by Kells
Hi everyone, i've only just found this forum and thought this thread would be a good place to start!

I'm 26, from Scotland and i'm a born again beginner! I played piano for around 2 years into my early teens when my piano teacher moved away and i hadn't played much since. I've been looking for a teacher and found one close by with a place which i snapped up! Only had one lesson so far and i am starting from the very beginning again.

I am an accountant for a law firm and my only other hobby is keeping fit at the gym. Hoping that leaves plenty of time for practice, at the moment i want to jump ahead and learn all the music i want to play but trying to be patient and not run before i can walk.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you, i'm sure i'll be needing plenty of advice from here on in!

A
A
Hello everyone, my name is Agnes..I live in Singapore (for now) and I was born in Indonesia.. I am a 21 years old beginner, and I LOOVEE piano ever since my mother brought me to piano lesson on my junior high... Unfortunately I didn't continue the lesson because I can't practice without piano (I didn't have piano until recently after annoy my parents for don't know how many years thumb ) I love the sound, the touch, the feeling, and the music of a piano... I planned to continue my lesson after all of my study finish which actually I hate... I want to grab on the piano a.s.a.p frown
It's nice to meet you all and of course I feel lucky to find this forum blush

S
S
hi, 25 yrs old from eastern Ontario, picking up piano again after quitting lessons as a kid, I also play bass guitar casually and can still rock out to Beethoven's 9th on the alto recorder smile

currently working on Turkish March by Mozart because of a certain recent car commercial... sometimes I play the first part staccato like Glenn Gould because his arrangement is so cheeky.

"It has.. too many notes. Just remove a few."
"Which few would you like me to remove?"
I'm 39 living in Europe but originally from the US. I never had any sort of music lessons before February, but I have always wished to play piano, specifically classical music. On a whim, I bought myself a yamaha digital keyboard and a single beginners book. I first started to teach myself how to read the notes. Then bought the Alfred's adult course series. It has been great. But I felt I needed a teacher so started lessons a couple weeks later. I have kept up the momentum since and now feel this urge to get an acoustic piano because I want the real sound. It's been 2.5 months now, seems like years (in a good way).

K
K
I hope people are still reading this. I took lessons in grade school but my mother let me quit in 6th grade. I had my daughter in lessons but she quit but she was really into band by then so I let her.

I started taking as an adult right before my only daughter went away to college. Her freshman year I bought a Roland digital.

I finally started practicing this year with any regularity. I may go to the Sonata piano camp this year.

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome KBS smile

[Linked Image]
E
E
I know this is an old thread, but this seems a good place to start posting smile

I'm a twenty-year-old Finn (that explains the weird spelling mistakes, I'm sorry). I played the piano when I was a kid... and quit. Now, after eight years, I accidentally heard one of those Mozart piano concertos I had practiced and fell in love again. So, I haven't touched a piano for eight years, I guess I've forgotten a lot but at least I'm a little less impatient than what I used to be. (Well, I'm still awfully impatient. It's in my nature. And it was probably the main reason I quit playing after four or five years... I still couldn't play Rachmaninov or something. Haha.)

I work with books. I love books, too. Luckily, I got employed by a big publishing house and I like what I do very much. I'm not going to stay there forever, though - if everything goes well (=I pass the entrance exams), I'll start studying business & entrepreneurship in September. My dream is to become an entrepreneur, preferably doing something that includes art (I love music and writing). An awful career choice, I know, at least for financial success.. But I've always liked to do what I love, even if that means taking some risks. I live with an aspiring actor/director, which is fun. And I love him very much, too.

I can't wait until the exams are over and I can start learning to play again... I decided on spending my money on a digital piano and eating a little less this month :P. I'd really love to get an acoustic one, though, but it's just not possible since our flat is really small, our walls are paper thin and we're kind of living on a student budget. Kawai's CN-32 is my weapon of choice, I've always liked Kawai's touch and sound and the price didn't kill my bank account... Oh, and the piano is so pretty.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Everdream! Can I ask if you are a Nightwish fan? (A question that will seem bizarre to anybody BUT a Nightwish fan, who knows that "Ever dream" is one of their nicest songs.) My daughter and I are probably the biggest Nightwish fans in Lexington, KY, and even got to see them play live in their U.S. tour last fall. smile

What kind of music do you want to play?

E
E
Hi Monica, yeah the name comes from that Nightwish song... I've been a fan since their Wishmaster album and seen them live many times smile. Not with Anette, though, I liked Tarja's style more. I love the band.

I'd like to play classical, I kind of like more complex melodies (not to say that everything else is simple). I grew up listening to classical music only, as my mother loved Mozart, Beethoven, Bach... I've probably heard everything from Mozart. I'm very open to different styles, though - but classical piano music is still very dear to me. We'll see; first I need to relearn all the things I've forgotten. I'm not sure if I can read notes correctly anymore :P. Way to go.

A
A
Hi everyone. I guess I'm one of the older folks here at 63. I live in Houston, originally from the Bronx. I've been playing for about one year. My wife is a piano teacher, and I've been wanting to play forever. I got laid off last year,so that was a great excuse to start! We just got a Yamaha P-155 last week, which is what I am mostly using. We also have a Yamaha C3 which I haven't touched yet, and a Baldwin upright which my wife uses as her main teaching instrument.

This has been one of the most difficult endeavors I've tackled, but then again, it is worth the effort.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I've been posting for a bit, maybe I should introduce myself properly?

I'm Canadian, but have been living in Italy (first in Milan, now in a small town about 25km outside Milan) since 1994....We originally came on what was supposed to be a 2 year adventure. Funny how things work out!

I crossed the half century milestone a little while ago (still trying to get my head around that one!) and just started playing piano on Christmas day 2009.

I played bass clarinet in the highschool band. We played a lot excellent music, which really laid a strong foundation for my love and appreciation of music for the future. I play guitar, not very well, but I play and I have fun. I've written a few little songs for guitar and look forward to finding a left hand part to turn them into piano pieces.

The story of how I started with piano is , I think, charming.

Driving in the car at the beginning of November, my husband and I were listening to a Rachmaninov cd, and I said, "Isn't that amazing. I would love to have learned to play the piano." My husband's reply was ..."Would you like one for Christmas?".

I hesitated and said..."Maybe. Let me think about it." I was wondering if I'd be able to do it, if it would be a waste of money.... So I thought about it for a week or so and did some research on digital keyboards, to see what the costs were like. In the end (obviously) I said yes, and we went shopping.

At the end of January I hooked up with my teacher. She is marvellouos and I'm totally enchanted with my new passion.

I've "met" some really wonderful people on this site and look forward to getting to know you better and learning along with you!

[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Andy S - I'm 64 - I think there's a cohort of us over-60's here smile We're the greatest. Well, except for the over-70's laugh And congratulations on being laid off - I can tell you those were some of the best times of my life. They were so good that 20+ years ago I started working only part time, and it was the best thing I ever did. Playing piano is a fun thing to learn to do, and a nice challenge to keep you up, and there's the reward of the music.

casinitaly - a wonderful adventure laugh Yeah, funny how things work out. I've read many of your posts - I'm glad you're here - you have a great perspective on this stuff.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

casinitaly - a wonderful adventure laugh Yeah, funny how things work out. I've read many of your posts - I'm glad you're here - you have a great perspective on this stuff.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,
thanks so much! I will tell my teacher what you said and I'm sure she will laugh as perspective is the thing I have to work at more than anything else! I want to play NOW and have such difficulty realizing and accepting exactly how much progress I've made. But I'm getting better, slowly (I mean with the perspective thing as well as playing!)
I've read your posts too and I think you bring a lovely encouraging voice to the group!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hei hei*, Everdream, and welcome to the ABF. Before too long I'm sure you will be playing right where you left off. I know a fair amount about entrepreneurship and believe you will find that doing something you are passionate about is part of the recipe for success. So, you are on the right track! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. [ *my wife is a native Finn, but apart from hei hei, the only other phrase I ever seem to remember is "haluan olut ja makkara" or something to that effect. grin]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 36 of 74 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission