2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74
Nope, never got involved with JET. I came over here on my own. No knowledge of the Japanese language, just sink or swim is what it was. hehe!
MULLY

L
L
ARGH! mad

I lost my post...Still learning...

L
L
Hello, or as the kid would say, "...w'sup",

Well, this was supposed to be my 21st post, but I goof'd and lost it all. It was good too. Such is life. I've waited to post this, not knowing if I'd last.

I'm still a bit too intimidated to post much of an opinion. But, with my 20th post a little earlier, I've now reached "FULL MEMBER" status and I'm starting to feel like I belong.

So, for posterity's sake, here's my story, an albeit somewhat abbreviated version - given I've forgotten most of what I had written earlier... frown

Where to start?

I came upon the forum in my search for a new DP this past summer. We were looking to upgrade from the limitations of our Casio AP25. The kid's teacher has a baby grand and had complained for years that the DP didn't feel or sound like the "real" thing.

Unfortunately for her, we had not considered an acoustic piano when we bought the house, some 10 years before she came into our lives. Luckily, technology has come far enough to provide a number of decent electro-mechanical options.

We brought a Yamaha CLP 280 home and the kid's been very happy with it. Not a grand, I know, but it fits our lifestyle. It’s a decent simulation, good touch (for a DP), and good sound. Love those 4 dynamic levels of stereo sampled, scat voices.

With two DPs in the house (just couldn't toss the Casio), and a newly adjusted outlook on life, I decided to indulge a lifelong desire to learn how to play the piano, where upon I returned to the forum for both the advice and the community.

Last spring I came upon the new outlook on a dare to overcome my aversion to doctors, by going in for a physical. I guess all those years, of "Living La Vida Loca" had caught up with me. I know now how the “medicine cabinet” got its name. Needless to say, I've been asked to re-align my priorities, eat right, exercise, lower my stress levels...you've heard the drill before. So, I’m made learning to play the piano my therapy. smile

I started lessons with the kid's piano teacher this past October. We're about half way through the Faber's 1st series of books, "Accelerated Piano Adventures for Older Beginners", the kid's "hand-me-ups". Luckily for me she has the patience of Job and the technical expertise to keep me on the straight and narrow. "...practice slowly, deliberately..." Oh, the pain.

The hardest part, so far, has been re-learning how to learn. And as I learn, I have to constantly reassess my expectations. I guess it’ll be a while before I’m playing Rhapsody in Blue in front of the National Symphony Orchestra at Carnegie Hall. smile

My life has already turned for the better. I have a new appreciation for classical piano music, although I'm still partial to a little Bill Evans and Vince Guaraldi. And thanks to recommendations here, I've just finished a number of books; Adam's Lessons, Carhart's Piano Shop, and Cooke's Playing for Pleasure, the latter the source of much discussion with the Teach. ...armed with little knowledge, we become "dangerous".

Originally, my piano goal was to learn how to play the all the music in the Easy Piano book of Charlie Brown’s Christmas, maybe pick up some pointers on how to sight read, and learn how to play a fake book. But this forum has made so much more, so much more accessible. I might get to Carnegie Hall yet (with ticket in hand wink ).

I'd like to thank the "Elders" for maintaining the forum all these years. I search it constantly; visit as often as I can. I find myself becoming more and more a part of this community, and, like many other's here, have become especially fond of the ABF...where you can find everything from advice on a classical piece, to the opportunity of cheering up someone on their birthday.

Seriously, every time I visit the forum I come away with something new, often something greater than learning how to play. What more can I say?

Who is lizzy's dad? cool

I'm a 54 year old engineer. I work for a large manufacturing company here in the Great NW (USA - in deference to my friends in Canada who point out I live south of their Great Southwest).

I used to golf, fish, hike, snow ski, a lot. Over time, priorities shifted as the kid got older and work became more interesting. Now-a-days, whenever I find some free time, I just practice, practice, practice.

I'm part Hawaiian, grew up in Hawaii and went to college in Hawaii. However, I consider myself a Washingtonian, having lived here for about 30 years now. How could I leave a tropical paradise for a paradise in a temperate clime, you ask? ...they don't build airplanes in Hawaii... :rolleyes:

My wife and I have been celebrating our 25th anniversary all year. Took our 1st cruise this past summer...woo hoo! thumb We find ourselves spending more and more of our time together walking and eating our way back to health.

Lizzy is our only child, the joy of our lives.

Chris

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
What a great intro (even though you're now officially an "old hand"). Thanks for taking the time to redo it after losing your first one.

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lizzy's Dad/Chris,

Now that we've been properly introduced smile , I look forward to seeing you around.

BTW I related to your feeling like you may not "belong" yet, with "only" 20-ish posts. For me, I started to feel that I am part of the ABF, instead of just a visiting newbie, when I started being a bit crazy and silly in my posts -then I knew I am finally home laugh

[Linked Image]
K
K
This is really interesting, to read all these stories! I'm not caught up yet, but...

I'm 47, live in the Washington DC area. I do solar and renewable energy work on houses. I've also worked as an environmental advocate, carpenter, computer programmer and admin, glassblower, maybe other stuff...

My sordid music history: glee club in grade school, where I was told in no uncertain terms I couldn't sing. I played trombone briefly in there, for a few months I think. In high school, I taught myself bass guitar, and played in an R&R band. After high school, living on my own, I had a well-paying flexible job, so signed up to a full round of music courses at the local community college: after one class, I got laid off, and couldn't afford to attend any more. I went to college for Physics 5 years later, and never took any music in college again (tragic violin music in the background) frown

A few years later I got a guitar, and started learning folk music from chord diagrams. I never learned to read, and mild dyslexia makes sheet music seem sort of a blur to me. I later picked up hand percussion (drums, bells, blocks, etc) and played in a band. During all this time I was singing in a fantastic community song circle about once a month. I realized I like to sing more so I quite the band and started playing guitar with small groups of people, occasionally performing. That was fun.

Then came grad school, and starting a company, and music didn't get much attention for a several years. I should say, I had periodic intentions of learning to read music, and play piano, but no confidence that it would actually be possible. I had one piano lesson about 15 years ago, and owned a non-weighted keyboard in there for a while, but didn't play it consistently or study methodically, and didn't learn anything to speak of.

I eventually decided I should get a weighted keyboard, and bought a weighted midi controller, which turned out to be a bad idea, since it required additional hardware or a computer... I never hooked it up (once, I think), but it took me years to get something more suitable. Finally about 4 months ago I bought a weighted Yamaha keyboard, a used S-80, which I love. I've been playing 1-3+ hours a day when I can.

I started lessons about 3 months ago, since I wanted to give myself every chance, but felt like the teacher wasn't very responsive, attentive, creative, or personal. He just plunked me into a book and said "do this." That didn't work very well for me, so after about a month I looked around for other teachers, and found one who turned out to be great, she's helpful, smart, flexible, and gets a kick out of my process, even when it might be different than what she'd do with other students.

When I first started, I read everything I could find online. I found Chang, and that helped me think about things more freely: he sort of gave me permission to think more explicitly about the learning process itself, and pursue a "whatever works" strategy. My current approach is to learn 5 pieces I like, that I can work on or simply play, flipping between them (I get bored quickly), in order to free up enough non-bored energy to practice scales, chords, simpler reading practice, etc. Right now I'm well along with Bach/Petzold Minuet in G, Linus & Lucy, and working on Bach Inv 1. Might add some Joplin soon.

I use Finale Songwriter as a crutch ;-) I input the music I'm working on into it, and then I can watch it play the score measure by measure, either or both hands, so I can get immediate feedback on how something fits together. I'm doing it much less already, but it's very helpful. I just can't wait a week between corrections! I also occasionally use the reading practice drills on emusictheory.com, which I find very helpful though I'm awaiting an upgrade with anticipation.

I'm still a really lousy reader, but I'm going to focus on that soon. I get a lot of satisfaction with the pieces I'm working on now, though the process itself will get old eventually: I read ever-so-slowly through the music, learning one measure at a time. By the time I've read it and learned the fingering, it's well on it's way to being memorized. That says more about how slowly I read than how quickly I memorize... laugh

I can hardly imagine anyone's gotten this far, but I thought it would be sorta fun to put this all somewhere...

Keith

art is why i get up in the morning
but my definition ends there
it doesn't seem fair
that i'm living for something
i can't even define
ani difranco
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Keith W:

I can hardly imagine anyone's gotten this far, but I thought it would be sorta fun to put this all somewhere...

Keith
Actually, I read the whole thing laugh I especially liked the part about finding a teacher, it's great that you recognized the first one didn't work for you and were able to find one that does.

Welcome to the forum!

Greg
K
K
Y'know, it felt SO HARD to leave my first teacher, like I was abandoning an old friend. And he was a nice guy, but he couldn't really listen to what I wanted, and aim the lessons in that direction. It's AMAZING how much a different teacher changed that. She challenges me, gives me ideas, let's me take initiative, is encouraging... I actually paid 10 lessons ahead after the first 5! For me, that's a lot of confidence!

thanks for the welcome, this really is a great place.

Keith

art is why i get up in the morning
but my definition ends there
it doesn't seem fair
that i'm living for something
i can't even define
ani difranco
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Keith, I also read your whole post with great interest. Everyone's musical journey is so unique I find them all fascinating. It's better than reading novels! Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found a teacher you like.

[Linked Image]
Hello Keith,
I also read the entire story and yes, I did hear violins in the back ground...added much to your story...Sounds like you now have it all together and I am proud of your work ethic...Keep up the good work and enjoy your music!

Best Regards,
nick

Well, it's about time I jump in here.

PW is great! I stumbled on to it when I was doing research on buying my first digital piano back in the fall.

I'm 46 and married with two kids, 5 and 1, who keep me busy mornings before I head to work from 2pm to 10:30 pm.

My name comes from the fact that I was raised in Steger, IL and also that I own a Steger & Sons upright (cira 1916) which I believe was actually built in Steger. The piano was an emotional purchase made shortly after my father passed away some years ago. My dad could not read music but could play by ear quite well and often played our organ late at night while the rest of the house was going to bed.

Musically, I started playing trombone in grade school and continued to do so through nearly all of college. I did take organ lessons for a few years in my youth. I had no keyboard in my adult life until the Stetger & Sons came along. Since then, I have sporadically practiced with long stretches of inactivity.

I finally decided to invest in a DP to make practicing easier and more reliable (no tuning, keys that always work).

I look forward to posting more often now and participating in the quarterly recital. I also have taken a keen interest in the Autumn Leaves solo jazz thread.

Peace!

-Ted

No, I'm not a student of music, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a piano bar last night.
What I play: Mostly a Kawai ES4, sometimes on the Steger & Sons.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Welcome to the forum Ted! I look forward to hearing you in the recital.

Greg
A
A
Hello everyone!
Im 18 i tried playing the piano when i was younger but eventually got frustrated with being so crap i gave up. I think i expected that i'd be able to sit down and play like Beethoven straight away- obviously that didn't happen. I got sick of being bored when i was 13 and decided to take it back up again. I did my first grade not long after that and nearly threw up through nerves, i passed but it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I decided that playing the piano, for me, was about enjoying it and having fun, not trying to grade myself. Since then i've found it alot more fun!
I hate any music on a piano that is boppy and clunky, one of my first pieces was the Hokey Kokey (sp?) and i despised it- i love to play soft moody beautiful and romantic pieces. I play those best and im completely crap at playing by ear!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm so glad people still contribute to this thread. It's always interesting to read about our great forum contributors.

Lizzy's Dad--We just celebrated our 25th anniversary also. It's funny because we waited to have children, so our kids are 11. When my parents celebrated their 25th anniversary, we were all adults and planned a party for them. I guess that will happen for our 50th!

Keith--You are right that it's hard to fit music into life once you have a business of your own (or a family, or a job that requires travel, etc.), but it sure is good to be able to find time for it. It sounds like it's giving you a lot of joy.

Ted--Is your Steger & sons playable? How do you like it compared to your DP? Welcome to the forum!

Nancy

Estonia 168
Originally posted by NancyM333:

Ted--Is your Steger & sons playable? How do you like it compared to your DP? Welcome to the forum!

Nancy
Yeah, it's in pretty good shape. Since it was an emotional purchase, half the keys could have been missing and I don't think I would have noticed! I was just so shocked to stumble upon it at that particular time in my life. It definitely requires regular tuning. In fact, just moving it the other week caused one key to go sour.

The DP is wonderful and easier to play. It also makes it easier to participate in these forums. The key clicking is more noticeable but it doesn't really bother me.

-Ted

No, I'm not a student of music, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a piano bar last night.
What I play: Mostly a Kawai ES4, sometimes on the Steger & Sons.
Another re-beginner here. My name is Jim (or Undone “because I’m not finished yet”) and I’ll be turning 47 next month. I grew up listening to my mother play her “baby grand” and took several years of lessons as a young child. I always enjoyed playing the piano, and didn’t find the lessons “all that terrible”. In Jr. High and on into High School I took part in every musical group and class available with thoughts of majoring in music when I went to college. I played trumpet, electric base, and some guitar, but primarily focused on voice. When the time came to make such a commitment, I chickened out on music as a major and went into electrical engineering and then computer programming instead (for fear of ending up a “starving artist”), and shifted all my time and energy to such pursuits.

I’ve always had some form of keyboard in the house, but only just recently purchased a key weighted, full-sized digital piano and decided to start again. I knew I needed to go right back to the beginning and so, after reading various posts on this forum, picked up the first book in Alfred’s Adult All-In-One course and began my re-learning. I was able to move through the first book rather quickly and am now polishing up the last couple of pieces in book one and have just started on book two.

Reading and searching through the posts on this forum has been a tremendous help to me and provides a constant source of inspiration. I’ve been tempted to post a comment or question on several recent threads, but have been held back by the thought that I’ve yet to post a proper introduction. So hopefully, with this post, I will be less shy when it comes to participating in current or future threads.

Jim

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Welcome to the forum Jim and thanks for the introduction. Now that we've been "formally introduced" I'll look forward to your participation in the forum!

Welcome again.

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Undone, look forward to your posts! Love to have you.

[Linked Image]
It looks like it has been just a bit since someone added to this, so I thought that I would start it back up.

Sawasdee Krab;

I am 57, and married to a wonderful women. We have 4 children, all grown and gone now, the youngest is 19. We also have 4 grandchildren.

At present we live in Bangkok, Thailand where I am a Field Engineer for a large Aerospace Company, and my wife enjoys a life of liesure. We will probably retire at the end of the year and move into a home that we just built a little south of Phoenix.

Before Thailand we lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, Egypt, and South Africa. We love to travel.

I had always wanted to play the piano, but just never had the time. about 1 1/2 years ago I took the plunge and have been taking lessons ever since. I really enjoy it, and regret not starting when I was younger. I have a wonderful Thai lady who has been giving me lessons twice a week for the entire time, she is very patient and encouraging.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
George Carlin
There is another thread in this Forum "What do you do?" that is in a similar vein. I wonder if they should be rolled together and given "sticky" status so that similar duplication does not occur and since this kind of thread is useful for all the members to put other members and their questions/answers in a fuller context.

I am a 61 year old chemical engineer, physician, Army colonel. Retired from the Army in 2002 but still working for the Army as a the senior product developer for blood products for the battlefield.

I have served as a senior infectious diseases officer for the Army until 1992 when a mid-life "crisis" pushed me into research and development. I went to Thailand and directed efforts to establish HIV vaccine research and development for the Army in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. From there I came back to the Washington, DC area where I have worked for the Army in active and retired status in multiple research and development positions for the past 16 years. I also served in Vietnam as a young lieutentant before going to medical school.

I am married for 32 years with two children both of whom are in college or medical school and both of whom are pursuing Army careers. My wife is the senior geriatrician for the Army so my retirement will be medically secure.

Although we currently live in Maryland, we will retire in 3 years in South Dakota (we're both natives there) where we are currently building a home.

I started piano in February 2008 with my first lesson on 12 February. I had my 5th lesson 2 days ago and I am currently working on my first chords (C MAJ and G7) in Alfreds Book One for Adult Beginners. I've had no prior music training and so the fundamentals of music were (and still are but lessening) a mystery for me. I had always wanted to start piano and I tried to talk my son into them as an entre for me. But he never bit (guitar instead) and so I never got the chance until recently I just decided to do it. I'm not sure I have (or ever will have) the passion that many of you profess, but I do enjoy the relaxation and the challenge of learning something new. I enjoy practicing about 60 to 90 minutes daily.

I purchased a DP after considering a restored M&H for a couple of months. I figured that with my ears (tin) I probably wouldn't notice the difference and I wouldn't have to worry too much about tuning, humidity or getting a "player piano" function ($6K or so) in addition to the piano. I really like the Yamaha CGP 1000 and I think that it will likely serve me well until I pass on to that big concert hall. My instructor has a M&H A and a Bosendorfer in her studio, so I get to see and hear (and use) what I missed by not getting my own acoustic. About the only difference I'm sensitive to so far is the heavier touch of the M&H.

I'm confident that's more than anyone would want to know about me, so I'll stop here.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission