2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 74 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 73 74
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It's nice to meet you, SilentSound! Isn't it great when something that's been in the background since childhood finally asserts itself & we get to explore it? It's never too late - I started playing when I was 61.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Yes,it is nice getting to explore it, Joyoussong. It would be silly not to really, if you can enjoy yourself. And thanks for the welcome Cathy smile.

SONICe Scienceâ„¢ : Your friend in science
Hello, Piano World!

After much lurking over the past month, I decided to end the voyeuristic practice and join up. Here is my newbie intro.

I am a bona fide adult (fortysomething) beginner and have a 12-year-old daughter who has been taking lessons for a year. My only experience is a semester of community college piano about seven years ago... where does the time go! I didn't continue with it, though, until about a month ago. My daughter's nice progress (I'm envious) inspired me to take it up again.

I started going through her Bastien method book and also, on recommendation of so many here, purchased the Alfred's Adult Beginner Level 1 book. I really enjoy both books and have spent a little more time in Alfred's so far, at first just trying to catch up with where I am in the Bastien book.

I don't have a teacher yet but I hope to hook up with one soon, before I develop too many bad habits. But really, my goal is just to have fun with it, as I am now, and keep motivated to progress a little.

We are using an old Clavinova digital piano which is fine (except for a few sticky keys) but we're now getting the itch to upgrade to a less sterile, unfiltered, acoustic experience.

Anyhoo, enough about me! This a terrific forum with so many extremely knowledgeable folks... it really adds a lot to this wonderful hobby!

Thanks

Last edited by MrRubato; 04/01/11 12:35 AM. Reason: grammmer typo
E
E
Hello!

I'm 36 and originally from the US but now live in Spain with my DH and our 17 rescue cats (yes, 17, it's not a typo LOL!).

I've always been a lover of classical and folk music. I started playing the keyboard at the age of 7 then upgraded to a piano the following year. I took lessons on and off throughout my childhood and teen years and have always dibbled and dabbled with other instruments but the piano was always my main thing.

I didn't really get much of a chance to play the piano over the past 15 years other than the odd time. Family life got crazy so I left home and was unable to take the piano with me. It was my piano, I just had nowhere to put it--I didn't even know where I was going half the time, LOL. The piano is doing fine and lives in my aunt's house now--even if I did move back to the US I wonder if I'd have the heart to take it back since she matched all her furniture to it. wink

I met DH in 2000 but he was living in Scotland at the time. We traveled around a lot and a whole series of events brought us to live and stay where we are today.

I tried playing the bass guitar but I never really got the hang of it, which was odd because I thought bass lines would come natural to me because of the piano experience.

A few months ago one of our friends wanted to sell me his keyboard but I told him no because it only had 61 keys and I didn't want anything less than a full size. Then another friend said that he had a better one to sell but that too turned out to be 61 keys.

(DH is a professional musician so almost all of our friends are musicians, lol.)

Anyway, that's what kind of put the piano playing bug in my ear and decided I wanted to start playing again. I've had a rough few years with different aspects of life so I thought I deserved a treat.

I settled on a Yamaha DGX530, which was pretty much what I wanted--a basic full size keyboard without too many bells and whistles. I just want to play again at home and possibly do some home recording. Playing the piano has always been the best medicine for my soul.

I didn't buy a piano because living in a tourist spot like we do anything could happen and we might have to move. We've been living here for the past 7/8 years and tourism can be either really good or really bad and I don't really want any big furniture--that and the 17 cats. I would seriously have a problem with my cats using my piano as a scratching post, haha.

I'm extremely rusty and I've only been back playing for the past week but I've been putting myself through some exhausting practice sessions sometimes 2 hours per session, twice a day. I realized the music I was attempting to play was too challenging for me after so long a break so I got some easier pieces to play.

When I practiced today I noticed a big difference and things are flowing much easier than they were even just yesterday so I let myself off with only a 1 hour drill.

Anyway, I'm so happy to be playing again, I totally forgot how it was a part of me and I haven't felt this relaxed in years. Well, you might hear the occasional "ARRRRRRRGHHHHH!!" coming from me when I can't get a particular part of the music down or a cat comes jumping up on the keyboard, but other than that, I'm calm, haha.

Last edited by ElleDee; 04/10/11 07:32 PM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Domo arigato, Mr. Rubato.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
P
P
I'm 20 from Manchester, UK.
I'm a Law student, but will be applying to Medical school once I graduate. I have only just started playing again.
I appreciate all kinds of music, and love the classics. I'm a firm believer that Howard Shore is one of the best composers ever, and would love to play Lord of the Rings soundtracks.
I'm about to get a dalmatian puppy, he's born on Wednesday and I pick him up in 8 weeks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello. I wanted to tell my story like adult beginner.

Some months ago, I felt the need to play an instrument. I didn’t know why, although maybe I preferred not to know it. At first I thought to take up again my violin. When I was a teenager, studied violin at the music school, but I only did three courses. I loved the violin, but I didn’t have enough time when started my university studies.

It would have been marvellous to take up again the violin, although my family and neighbours would not have thought in this way. So I decided to learn piano. Playing a digital piano, I couldn’t bother anybody.

However, I didn’t have confidence about my ability to play piano. I didn’t know either, if my need was just a caprice. Maybe, I thought, I just wanted to purchase a good gift for myself. For this reason I bought a cheap piano. There were other ones cheaper, but I didn’t like them. The Korg SP 170 was not expensive and looked a decent instrument.

Now, I’m so happy like an adult beginner. I’m learning myself, without teachers, but I’m getting confidence playing easy scores. On the other hand, I have been unlucky with Korg. My piano is getting problems in keys, and I’ll probably have to send it under warranty. But I’m not worried. The piano looks very nice, and with headphones the sound is very good. I’m sure that the piano will be repaired under warranty.

I know that never will play a Prokófiev’s sonata. Never mind. It’s just a hobby. I only want to enjoy the instrument like I’ve done until now.

Cheers.

[Linked Image]

L
L
I've been hanging around PW for a couple months. Have had a super-cheap 61-key Casio for 10 or 12 years but never made much headway with it. Picked up a slightly less cheap 76 key Casio (still unweighted) in November and starting playing some chord accompaniment stuff for use writing songs, etc. And just last month I bought an old Everett upright for $300 which I really like. I've been working through Alfred's Book 1 for a month or so and am nearly finished with it. I already have Alfred's AIO Book 2 in my possession. My overall goal with piano is, again, more along the lines of accompaniment (like McCartney or Lennon or whoever would play), but I figure learning to play "properly" can't hurt. But I'm taking a very low-stress, casual approach to it. I don't see ever taking lessons from a teacher.

I've played guitar for about 10 years (still more a rhythm player but I'm trying to learn some lead work), have been writing songs for about as long and record at home with a cheap digital multitrack. I have fun with it.

I work in IT support. I really hate my job and am really burned out in the field, but it pays the bills until I come up with some brilliant business idea and can leave it behind. Music serves as an important outlet to relax and relieve stress for me.

I'm 33, married, 2 kids (9 and 7) and live in a house in the suburbs of NJ.

Casio WK-210
1963 Everett Studio (Style 14)
http://www.soundclick.com/lukeeelman
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
You're getting in to piano the slow and sneaky way, but it sounds like, with the addition of the acoustic, that we've got you now - bwahahahahaha!

Welcome smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
P
Long time musician here, but a relative neophyte on piano. I play guitar, mandolin, trombone, steel pan, and learning piano. I play semi-professionally as a steel pan musician in a small steel band. Average 35-40 gigs per year. Recently picked up a piano, to become a better musician. I had several years of instruction as a child, but it might as well have been none. I really like playing piano, and I believe it is the ultimate musical instrument. I have long respected and admired those who play, so I figured I might as well learn.

I'm currently studying Alfred's #1, and progress has been pretty good. Some things about playing piano are easier than I thought they would be, some things are harder. I now find myself practicing 3+ hours per day, counting both piano and steel pan. I focus on goal oriented practice. If it takes me 10 minutes to play something, that's ok. If it takes hours, that's ok too.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Hi. After first stumbling on Piano world, I’ve been a member for a couple of weeks, I’ve now stumbled on this thread.

Decades ago I was in high school and teaching myself to play guitar. At the same time I also drew a keyboard on paper (a couple of octaves) and stuck it to the desk in my bedroom. When I learnt a new guitar chord I also worked out how to voice it on my paper piano. Over all those years every time I was near a keyboard I’d pick out a few triads.

Over the last few years (certainly since I stopped playing live and in bands) I’ve felt that I’d plateaued or grown a bit stale as a guitar player. My thoughts returned to the piano and now, at last, that paper piano has become real. And I can't keep away from it, finding myself playing everyday, some days for hours at a time.

As a self taught (and I suppose you'd say 'shared' taught) guitar player (like many guitar players) I don't read. I’m self teaching (again) transferring a lot of my existing knowledge, as I’m aiming to play accompaniment to vocals (pop and roc etc). The thing I’ve found most surprising is that I'm really enjoying 'listening' again and 'hearing' chords and progressions better because I've also found my understanding of theory (eg. chord structure) has leapt ahead. It really is a journey of discovery, isn't it?

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Welcom panman and CaptainKawai.

I'm with you, it really is a journey of discovery. And for me, not just about piano. Learning to play more fluently by letting go of the tenseness has been a whole set of discoveries of its own!

Hope you like this place - check out the piano bars and the latest recital to see what many of your fellow ABF's are up to smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
O
O
Hi all

My names Joe (well I'm known as Joe, real names Phil).

I'm 47 years young and sadly am currently unable to work due to suffering from CFS/ME.

I was forced as a child to go to piano lessons but if I'm honest I hated them. I got as far as grade 1 but I really really was having no fun.

Part of the reason was that my sister a few years older, is a natural (music teacher by profession) and I always had to make way for her on the piano. She loved the classical stuff, I didn't.

When I practised on the piano using what I wanted to play, my mother would shout at me to stop banging or to play properly. Then my sister would come on, play twice as loud and my mum would say how great she was.

Ah the joys of growing up. Not meaning it to come across as me having a problem with my (late) mum or sister, just showing why I got put off playing as a child.

I would sit on a stool next to this lady who would insist I play stuff that I found boring. I purchased the music to Scott Joplin's Entertainer, cant remember how old I was but hadn't gone to secondary school yet. My piano teacher wasn't interested in it at all. It was much more advanced than the stuff she was (unsuccessfully due to my boredom) teaching me, yet within a couple of weeks of learning it by myself, I could play it fluently (well I learned the first 1/2 of it). Even now, I could go to a piano and remember most of it by heart.

But alas, I had to play it when my parents were out as it wasn't "Proper" music, so as I got more and more interested in current music trends (especially the punk movement in the late 70's), I simply gave the piano up.

At around 18 everyone I knew were forming bands. I wanted to be in one so I got hold of a mono synthesizer and had a great time. I then got a polyphonic keyboard and everyone seemed happy with my playing, but when I look back, it was very very poor. Every chord I played was in the format of C/E/G etc, it was another 10 odd years before a friend came around and pointed out the obvious that I could also play say E/G/C or G/C/E etc. That one 3 min lesson opened up a whole new world of keyboards to me and shows how much better I could have been if I had only been bothered to learn and practise rather than simply mess about at the band practises. But I was young, was more interested in drinking beer and going to gigs really.

My playing never really improved not because I haven't the ability, just because I was lazy and never practised or even brought a book to learn from.

Over the years I got into computers, ended up with a load of synths, computer sequencer and would often spend ages simply making up tunes, very simple ones, but layering them on top of one another with the sequencer etc. Trouble is, all the time, my playing wasn't improving.

Then I got the music for the Doors Light my fire, and like I did with the Entertainer, I spent a few days learning it and to be honest, I didn't find it hard to learn, at the same time I never really understood anything about what I was playing.

And so on and so on. Then I became ill about 11 years ago and went from a very well paid job to next to nothing, hence we got into financial difficulty and had no choice but sell all my synths etc. With the understanding from my lovely wife that one day in the future I could get another one.

That day came last Sunday. I do love synthesizers and last week I put in an offer for one I've dreamed about for a few years on ebay. To be honest, I mentioned it to my wife, said I wish I had the money and she suggested what figure to put in, I said that it's far to low, they would never sell it for that, but they accepted it (well £50 more). I picked it up from the guys house in a plush part of London, judging by his huge setup, he uses them for his profession so I dare say he isn't short of a few pounds and probably wrote it off as a business expense anyway, hence he let me have it so cheap

So I am the proud owner of a 73 note Korg M3 Xpanded and I love it.

A big part of the reason for my buying it was to find something constructive to keep me occupied.

I've spent the last week just playing with some of the many different sounds and rhythms etc and have had great fun.

I've decided that now is the time to actually try and learn to play and understand what I am doing. I can read music to a point, I can pick out the notes and spend a few days learning 1 page of music, but I am no good at say jamming with anyone or knowing which notes really fit in with what etc.

So here I am back to learn properly. I found your site after looking for an online course to do. Am going to get the Piano For All course and see how I get on with that. With my illness, I get what I suppose is best called brain fog. I get really really tired if I'm studying from books, reading books is fine, but I want something not to heavy in that I can follow it and get some sort of result to keep me hooked.

From what I've read on here, it' looks a good course. What I will say though is that the way it's sold over the web is appalling. I was simply trying to find a good review and every single one was either by the site it's self, or someone actively supporting them (or being supported by them) and that got me really really worried that if they had to advertise like that, it was either some sort of scam or was a rubbish course.

Even the responses to googling "piano for all scam", returned results entitled along the lines of "is piano for all a scam" which turned out to be the actual Piano For All site saying it wasn't??? Personally I don't think they are doing themselves any favours advertising like that as it makes them look underhanded and dodgy. That said, it was due to their bad advertising and trying to find independent peoples opinions that I altered my forum search to "Piano forums" hence stumbled across this great site.

Anyway, I appear to have written an essay, sorry about that

Hopefully I have many many years ahead of learning to play to a superb standard.

Best

Joe

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/18/11 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, Joe.

BTW, I like long posts like yours.

Regards.

K
K
I've been lurking around these boards for a while, and recently decided to get more involved in the discussions on the ABF.

My early experiences with learning music were not that great. I wanted a piano when I was about 7, so my parents bought me a recorder instead, then encouraged me with kind phrases such as "do you take requests" and "can you play over the hills and far away?". I'm sure they were trying to be amusing, rather than harmful. I tried the clarinet, guitar, bass guitar, and organ during my school years. At about age 13 I was entered into a regional organ competition sponsored by Yamaha. I was super-confident about my piece, not expecting to win anything, but at least give a good performance. Instead I choked onstage, couldn't even remember the first chord, so promptly quit all my musical endeavours.

So now I'm about to turn 35, have been playing again since May 2010, first on a DP that I rent from a local music shop, and since January on a lovely old upright that's been in my boyfriend's family for three generations. I have a wonderful teacher who encourages me to explore everything, and my attitude towards performance has shifted. I play for my own enjoyment, and nobody else's! I'm considering trying for Grade 1 next year, either RCM or CC (Canadian Conservatory), and looking forward to making some new friends and sharing experiences here on the forums.

Hi,

I'm just beginning my piano journey.
I played guitar as a child, but did not have a good teacher and my non musical family did not become aware of this until it was too late. I was thrown into grade 4 ABRSM exam and given a theory and scale book a fortnight before it. I passed the exam somehow, but realized then that I had not learned music, just how to play a few pieces. I gave up, although I have lead worship, I did not progress at all.

I always wanted to play piano, love music by Einaudi, Nevue ,Yiruma and suchlike and have decided even though I'm 39 this year, its worthwhile giving it a shot. I am a single mum to a preschooler and cannot afford a teacher or have anyone to babysit this year, but hope to be able to do so when I move back to my home country within the next year or two. SO learning from books at the moment.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
Hello Piano World Wide Web Forums readers,

At 62 years of age and in retirement I decided to find an indoor hobby to compliment my outdoor hobbies. Living in the Sunshine State has some advantages but skin cancer isn't one of them. Fishing was my main hobby until recently so now I only fish after the sun sets.

I loved to sing as a kid but an accident on our farm when I was 10 years old put an end to that. I suffered a fractured trachea and a crushed larynx. My professional career was as a respiratory therapist. Go figure huh? Listening to music helped me cope with the trauma and has been a worthwhile pasttime.

So now with time on my hand I decided to take piano lessons. I find it a rewarding challenge even if it is just playing the simple stuff in Afreds Adult Book. I really like being able to play a tune. My goal is play some blues and pop. I like classical and jazz but that seems to be many years down the road for me as a player. I've taken nine lessons so far and plan to continue for several years.

I've been married for 18 years to a wonderful woman. She is a retired massage therapist. Except she still works on my body when I'm achy. Lucky Me!!!

The first time I ever flew in an airplane was when I tried skydiving school. I was 20 years old at the time. This was before the square canopies and they used the big old round military chutes which were designed for 200 lb. guys. I weighed 120 lbs. It took a loooooooooooong time for me to float to the ground and I ended up a couple of miles away from the airport. I landed in a cow pasture and had to climb several barbed wire fences to get back. That was a challenge with all the lines and the parachute. That was also my last parachute jump. It was definately the most thrilling thing I've ever done.

I used to snow ski and ride a very fast motorcycle but those days are long past. Now I'm just another boring old man with a bald spot and a pony tail.

[Linked Image]

C
C
Hi all,

I am 44, an accountant who is definitely not a bean-counter, a cub leader and play pool competitively, which does not necessarily mean well LOL. I love to cross-country ski: both classic and skate, and have the travel bug.

I have a husband, a 10 yo son and the most relaxed German Shepherd on the face of the planet. I have lived my whole life in a city called Mississauga, which is near Toronto, Ontario. Oh, and I really, really like Belgian beer. My husband says I am a beer snob.

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, boring old man with ponytail and bald spot smile I've enjoyed your posts - nice to have you around.

And welcome cagal (and "beer snob" might be a good user name. Hm. How about "Beer Snobs" for a band name? Sounds good to me.)

Cathy

Cathy
J
J
Hello. I've just registered and found a post leading here, so I suppose it would just be polite to introduce myself inasmuch as it is appropriate.

My taken name is Jonny Panic. I rarely use my given name outside of paperwork. I'm 36 years old, married to a most excellent woman, and I have Graves' Disease... which is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, but does mean I have tremors and have a hyperaware attention span and mild sensory hypersensitivity, so florescent lights and the like just kill me (figuratively speaking).

I used to be homeless or semi-homeless (since my teens), and during that time taught myself to sing using a trusty auto-reverse cassette Walkman, earbuds, an assortment of tapes ranging from INXS, U2 and Tears For Fears (whose B-side track Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams inspired me to this name long before I reassociated with computers. Yes, I know Sylvia Plath has a negligible publication of the same name, and no, I have no interest in it) to Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden, and long days spent drifting from state to state from 1993 till 1999, when I finally settled where I am now.

I live in northwest Indiana, just the other side of Gary from Chicago, and I'm a Fraud Analyst, which job bores me sometimes and make me long for the days when I used to unload trucks and build and repair grills, bicycles, furniture, exercise gear and similar for the likes of Sears, Wal-Mart or Lowes. Yes, I do know some people want to slap me for saying as much. I used to think I was into computers, but... well... I was when I was 16, and I'm not really now.

At this point, I've decided to take up digital piano because A) I've always wanted to play something, B) the DP is versatile and I have a hankerin' for not just piano sounds like the Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" or Moby's "Rushing" but also the clav a la Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and a couple other great sounds, and C) I've lost some fine motor control in my extremeties due to my change in profession two years ago and my Graves', and my doctor thinks this is a wonderful idea for rewiring said motor control.

That being said, I'm a complete newb currently in the market for a piano to begin with. I've lost interest in a couple of other time-consumptive hobbies and have plenty of time and energy to devote to this... which is good, because I love music more than just about anything, and would like to make more of it.

-Jonny Panic

Think: reverse dog years.
Page 39 of 74 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission