2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 74 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 73 74
Playing the piano = breathing laugh

Am I in, am I in??? eek

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I can already tell this is going to be a great adventure.

J
J
Howdy, everyone, I'm glad to have found this forum.

I am a 26-year-old doing the self-taught piano thing in my spare time. I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and I was lucky to have found a halfway decent piano for $250 on craig's list about a month ago. It's not the greatest instrument ever, but it does the job for now. I am a graduate of St. John's College, and this summer/early fall I was driving over there to play in their practice rooms, but I began doing it so often I ran into conflicts with music classes, etc. So even though what I'm using right now could use a bit of work, it's a godsend to be able to play whenever I want, however long I want.

I am not new to piano. At around 6 or 7 (can't remember), when I lived in Milwaukee, I started lessons with the teacher down the street. I was using the Bastien early beginner books.

For some reason my parents decided to switch teachers after a year or so, so I started lessons with a Russian woman who had just immigrated from the soon-to-collapse Soviet Union. I switched from Bastien to the Russian Method books, published by Boosey and Hawkes - I don't know if anyone has heard of these. I still have Book 2. I was lukewarm about it at that age, but looking at the book at my current age, I think it's actually kind of an interesting repertoire.

Anyway, at the time I hated my piano lessons. My parents, being more reasonable than I was giving them credit for, put it this way: rather than quit, what would you prefer to be doing on the piano? I decided I wanted to play pop music. So they switched teachers again, hooking me up with a Jazz / Blues piano teacher at the Milwaukee Conservatory, an outstanding music institution if anyone is familiar with it. I wanted to play Billy Joel's music, so this teacher helped me out, and I worked through "Piano Man" and the beginning of "New York State of Mind" while he began teaching me scales and chords.

Then at around age 10 my family moved to St. Louis, and I pretty much quit piano. Bad choice, I think.

In the interim I developed an interest in classical music and started taking violin lessons, progressing very quickly. By the time I was 16 and living in Denver, I developed an interest in composition, and I decided I needed to relearn piano so I could do this better. So in addition to studying music theory, notation, etc., I began self-re-teaching myself the piano. I went through Alfred's Book 1. It wasn't immediately easy for me, but I went through it pretty quickly. After that, I decided that, rather than going through another technique book, I would just start going through repertoire. I so bought Bastien's Easy Piano Classics and just started going through that in chronological order.

I got through about 3 pieces before I left home to go to College, here in Santa Fe. Unfortunately, studying became a priority, followed by violin, so piano got pushed out. I spent a little bit of time composing pieces the first semester of Freshman year, but that was about it.

Sophomore year at St. John's involves a music course, so I had to do a little bit of work on the piano for school. Everyone had to perform a piece at the end of the year, and I ended up choosing an easy waltz by Grieg, I think in G minor, but I can't remember. It went over pretty well - I was second best in the class, after the necessarily-piano-skilled teaching assistant who played Maple Leaf Rag.

For the class we also had to compose a minuet for the piano. When I got the score back, one of the comments written on it was "very Russian." I think that's funny.

I guess it was this music course or something, I don't know exactly what, but before Sophomore year went out I decided I wanted to take piano lessons again. So I started up again that summer. I was 18. My family had moved to Indianapolis by that time, and my mom found me a teacher through the local symphony. These lessons went pretty well, I'd say. I started out as a late beginner, and in about two months I was early intermediate. She started me on Schumann's Album for Children, scales and Bastien's sight-reading book, and soon I was zipping through Clementi and Kuhlau sonatinas. The problem was that this lasted only about 10 weeks before a family crisis came up, and I decided to put a hold on my lessons. By the time school started up in the fall, I had sort of given up piano again. Another unfortunate turn of events. In retrospect, I had a lot of momentum going there, and if I had stuck with it, I would probably have been able to make up for all the previous years I had missed. But that's just retrospect; I was still an angsty teenager, and good luck getting me to do anything I refused to do.

So that was pretty much it, until I turned 25, or just before, actually. I spontaneously decided to take up accordion, and this refired my interest in music in general. I ended up putting on a show in April of this year for the organization I worked for. I played violin, accordion, and sang. This was at a piano bar, however, and everyone kept asking me why I wasn't playing the piano. I told everyone I took lessons long ago, but I was too rusty to perform. That was that.

Except around mid-May I began tinkering with the piano that was sitting pretty much untouched in the building where I worked. Tinkering grew. Someone had left Edna Mae Burnham's "A Dozen a Day" in the bench, and I began tinkering with that. Simple and fun. I moved on to Book 2. I began downloading music from Mutopia: the gymnopedies, Bach's Prelude in C, Schumann's album for the young. Pretty soon I had a list of things I wanted to play again. I would sit down maybe half an hour, two or three times a week. No big deal. People at my office would joke as they walked by: "hey, I thought you said you were too rusty to perform."

July. I go to my house in Indiana for 2 weeks to visit family and go through my belongings. Among these belongings are my old piano books. I'm staying in a cot in the living room, where the old family piano sits. Everyone goes to bed early, and there's nothing to do. It's a natural outcome- I begin playing again.

I began with my old Soviet-era piano book, but I fooled around with other things, too. I found my old Hanon book and started those up. By the time I returned to New Mexico at the end of July, I had a practice routine going.

That's when I started driving up to St. John's 2 to 3 times a week and playing for an hour to an hour and a half. It took me a while to tweak my routine. I started out doing all kinds of things. My original plan was to work through sonatinas again, but I found that it was just not quite right for me.

I eventually honed it down to this:

-A Dozen a Day (I'm currently on Group V of Book 2)

-Hanon-Schaum (I'm on exercise 5 - intentionally taking this very slow)

-Scales (I'm doing two octaves, one octave apart right now. I'm up to B flat on the major scales)

-Mikrokosmos (I'm currently working on # 48, which is in book 2)

And I finish up with whatever random piece I feel I'd most enjoy working on. For the time being, I'm working through Einaudi's "Best of" book piece by piece.

Most importantly - I feel I've proven to myself that I'm pretty committed to playing the piano, and so I'm going to look for a teacher soon. This has been really great for me - I feel that playing music every day does wonders for my mood, my energy, my imagination.

I'm even feeling that I might still have a chance at pursuing this professionally. I might want to ask the forum's opinion about whether this is possible at some point. But that will come later.

I'm glad to have found this forum. Thank you to anyone who managed to read this far!

JoseHeno

B
B
Welcome Jose, first off I'm am an extraordinarily firm believer in you can do anything you set your mind to and if you work hard enough you'll learn how quickly most of these goals can be accomplished. So, if you consider a professional career, go for it!!

Hello! My name is Maggie. I am 43, married, mother to a 17 year old boy (who just got his driving permit yesterday, OMG!!--sorry, back to me, lol) and brand new to piano.

My first introduction to piano was at about 6 years old. We lived in a cramped apartment building in the city and across the street was a beautiful big house. I don't remember thinking much about that house until we were invited over one day. (My father was a mechanic and I believed worked on the owner's car.) As we entered the home, I saw this big black piano. I must have been staring at it, because the owner takes me over to it and asked if I wanted to play it. I remember plinking the keys and not wanting to leave. But it was time to go and we never visited again. This memory has stayed with me, always creeping up when I feel sad, lonely or stressed or hear/see someone playing a beautiful piece of music. Each time I would say all the usual excuses: I'm too old, I don't have enough time to dedicate to it, can't afford lessons, it's selfish to focus on me, etc, etc.

A few years ago a friend gave us an old model Yamaha keyboard. I picked up a teach-yourself-to-play book that I'd hope would spur some interest in my son. Instead it got pushed under the bed and there it stayed until now. I pulled it out, dusted it off and thought, "What the heck! In two years I'll be 45. Why not be 45 and know how to play (at least a little).

So here I am, doing tons of reading on this forum for motivation and awaiting my DVD and Book on READING KEYBOARD MUSIC, by Merrilee Webb. I plan on eventually getting music lessons and a piano or upgraded keyboard with more of a piano feel, but for now I've got the teach-yourself-book and am able to play (kinda sorta, lol) Jingle Bells--Yeah!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome citznmag!
43 is so young! Glad you decide to start. And since your son will be out cruising in his car, you have more time to play the piano! smile

[Linked Image]
Welcome to the forum,citznmag, and everyone else,

Thats how I got hooked onto this piano journey. I bought a yamaha keyboard in hopesthat I would teach myself to play and then it ended up in the closet with dust. Then just 8-months ago I dragged it out and started to play, then went searching around on craigslist for a piano and WALA!!! im hooked. NOw I have lessons and I love it. Enjoy the journey, maybe the music will help calm those nerves when your teenager gets his driving license laugh . My oldest is 8. I still have years to go!!!!

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm 53. I majored in music decades ago: composition. I switched to English, and wish I hadn't. I practice when I can, which isn't often enough. I have two young children, which makes it even harder to find practice time.

I love just about all classical music except Phillip Glass. I'm a big fan of Barbara Lister Sink, and I like the Golandsky videos on YouTube.

I used to post on PianoStreet, but gave up because too many of the posters there are arrogant and rude. People here seem much more civilized.

Hi, after 8 years of this and that I restarted playing and considering the circumstances doing well.
I was 7 years old when started and was performing until 22. I had to leave my country and now I live in UK. Unfortunately, it took 8 years to get status and only then I got on with my life.

I practice 5 hours a day to bring back technique,
and as I have learning disability it takes long to play form the score.
currently I am working on Bach Partita VI IN e-minor, Rachmaninoff prelude 2,3,5,op23 and a hand full of other pieces.

D
D
Hello. I'm 42. I'm a home studio hobbyist who's fiddled around with keyboards/synths since I was 18, but never sat down and learned properly how to play. Bought a Yamaha DP for the kids (ages 3 and 5) but it wound up in my den/studio :-).

Heavily influenced by pop music, mostly Billy Joel and Prince, though I want to learn classical pieces as well.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Welcome drfonta, hudduk78 and moscheles001--It's great you found this forum. I have never tried PianoStreet, but your comment makes me understand why I hear so many people comment on the PianoWorld civility when they post. Wow, hudduk78, that's quite a playlist. I have learned two Rachmaninoff Preludes, and they were both quite difficult for me. Please post one of yours in the next online recital! And drfonta, Billy Joel is great. If you have some good arrangements of his pieces, let me know. I may try out Piano Man sometime in 2009. And thank you for your service to our country. I'm sure it's not the easiest life you could have chosen!

Nancy

Estonia 168
F
F
Hi all,

I am new here, this is my 2nd post.

I am 44 years old, happily married for 20 years to the most wonderful wife. 3 children.

My youngest son, Bradley 15, is the musician of the family and plays piano, classical guitar, ukelele and harmonica. He is one those who you can give any instrument and within 5 minutes he will have a tune out of it.

My daughter Rebekka, 12 going on 20, has singing lessons and sings in a local choir.

Me - well, I have just started to learn piano and reading music.

I am an engineer by trade and own my own engineering company in the wastewater industry.

whilst at the moment I can't play any instruments, I absolutely love music - any music from Handels Messiah and Orff carmina burana to queen, eva cassidy and bruce springsteen.

My other love is photography.

Graeme

I think i covered a lot of things in my initial intro post, so I'll use this to post about my display name, "accidental".

I've played a lot of different instruments in my life - and all of them have been by accident:

Elementary school - Sax and Clarinet

I wanted to play the violin in elementary school. However, the orchestra teacher was not available during our pre-determined music hour, so we all had to play horns and percussion instead. So I decided on the trumpet.

Two days before our first class, I had a bike accident and suffered a mouth injury that left a permanent gap in my front teeth. The band teacher suggested that, due to my difficulty pursing my lips, I try a woodwind instrument, so I ended up playing both sax and clarinet.

Middle School - Percussion

I continued to play Sax until the 8th grade. On our way to a marching band rally, a latch broke on my sax case and the instrument fell out, breaking two keys and leaving an insufferable dent in the horn. I spent the rest of the year playing rotos and cymbals, and never picked up the sax again.

High School - Electric Bass

During this time, I was teaching myself guitar (with the help of some of my older brother's college friends). During 9th grade, I signed up for Jazz Band, and as it turned out, was the only guitar player who auditioned. Looking back, I was terrible, but because I had pretty solid reading and rhythmic abilities, the instructor saw great potential.

The bass player was a senior who was absolutely amazing. He'd been playing tranditional mexican and pop music for 10 years, and had already studied jazz with some serious locals during his first 3 years in high school, so he was a lock for the spot.

During my second month of school, I had an accident in gym class and shattered the ring finger on my left (fretting) hand. I had 2 pins inserted and basically was left with my ring and pinky fingers taped together for almost 4 months. This was tragic for me as a guitar player, but once the splint came off after month 2, I found I was easily able to use classical 1-2-4 fingering and pull off most of the bass parts. I spent the rest of the year learning from our senior phenom, and when 10th grade came along, I made the permanent switch.

Present Day - Piano

In 2004, I suffered a minor head injury in an auto accident and, later that year, developed Bell's Palsy on the right side of my face. While my nerve has fully recovered, the period of muscle relaxation led to minor hearing and internal ear damage. The first few years were okay, but after a few wild gigs last summer, I began experiencing balance issues due to the inner-ear damage. This pretty much closed the chapter for me as a performing rock/metal bass player - can't reverse the effect of just getting older. smile

So here's to another chapter in my musical life - now let's hope I can avoid getting a bench seat slammed on my hands!

G
G
Hi everybody! It is fascinating to hear how so many people approach the piano from so many different angles.

As for me, I took lessons for several years as a kid, and learned that I have no talent and no ear. I dropped piano but I never forgot how to read music. Or how cool piano players are.

25 years later I got the idea to try it again. It just seemed like the thing to do, but this time it is just for fun. There is no pressure and no lessons. And this time it is all about Scott Joplin.

Ragtime is extremely challenging and most of it is beyond my capabilities. I rely on sheer determination and willpower to learn every measure. But it's what I love, and being able to sit down at a piano in someone's home or a hotel lobby and play a quality tune has added a whole new dimension to my life.

B
B
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to piano. I am currently 37 and we just acquired a free piano which I have yet to have inspected to see if it is salvagable (there was green mold on the keys!) Anyway, I had ONE lesson when I was a young teenager, but mom informed me that she just couldn't afford to keep me going...something I have always regretted! Ah well... no time like the present! I live in a little town in Northern NY right on the St. Lawrence River. I have been married to my Electrical Engineer husband for 11 years. We have two daughters, Drew is 6 and Luci is 4. They were both adopted from China and we hope to adopt at least one or more boys sometime in the future. I am a photographer and own my own business and I also sing in a women's barberhop chorus(currently sing bass but my true love is tenor!). I have sung my entire life: school choruses, specialty chorale groups, All-county and All-state groups and I even sang with the Syracuse Symphony once! Sure wish I could live my life over...wouldn't change a thing but it would be fun to do again!

Anyway...like I said, I am awaiting an inspection of my piano to start lessons with my daughter's piano teacher. I confess I have little hope that she'll be able to teach me to play using both hands (AT ONCE) and also to keep my eyes on the music! It's all very overwhelming, but if I can manage to just plunk out a few tunes I'll be happy! Not looking for a new career in piano! Guess that's it about me!
Becky G.

I was brought up playing piano since I was four or so, Father was a piano teacher and he had no problem giving me practiceing for hours evey day, I just soaked up all that he could give me and wanted to learn more. Even as a child my brother and I would throw blankets over the three steinways in the living room and have giant forts to play at war. Then it was back to lessons 4 hours a day 7 days a week, and I love it , I couldn't get enough. By 12 I was competantly playing Schumanns piano concerto in A minor with ease. Plenty of classical lessons for me for about fifty years. Was married alas...Did my stint as a drafted army guy, migrated out of the army into the Government, still staying in south east asia for 5 or 6 more years, went to college and studied metallurgy and physics and got a doctorate after much straining my mind, all the while still taking my lessons. If I had just a tiny bit more talent or drive I could have easily made a living from music, but I didn't want to ruin my love of music by degrading it as a business, losing the spontaneiety. I designed medical instruments and defensive weapons for the Dept of Defense. Retired last year and went back to playing full time, Music is my life, when I hear pieces played well It brings tears to my eyes from the beauty music can convey.
Two months ago I had a couple of strokes and lost all the ability to play the piano at all...nothing zip zero.
Now I am on alfred's first book and as I recall about 50 years ago it still is a pain in the...wrists. And I side with all the noobie players it is hard sometimes, but in the end nothing is better than playing something you worked hard to learn, good luck to you all

Fred Bieler

Next contestant "Cone on down"

Fred Bieler

If you look deeply enough into someone's eyes you will find a place that, were you to go there, would break your heart in two.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
fbieler47,

Welcome! I'm so sorry to learn of your lost of the abilities to play the piano from your experiences with the strokes. What an unfortunate and sad incident it is considering how long you've been playing, and how passionate you are about your music.

It's wonderful that you are starting back again. I also had wrist pain when I first started out but not anymore. I'm a newbie myself whom barely have just ten months under my belt, and have recently just finished with the Alfred's adult level 1 book. And eventhough I still have a very long way to go, I sure am enjoying every moment of my learning process.

I wish you the best of luck as well in your efforts to return to playing the piano.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
P
P
Hi Fbieler47,
I am really encouraged and glad that you are picking it up again. You knew how to play before and you will continue to know how. I am sure it's gonna take alot of hardwork but hey, learning is never ending and the process is fun especially if it's something like piano where we really have deep interest in. So embrace what you have today and keep on movin'.

I am just somebody who loves piano music but I place my work hours more than other things in life (which I don't think it's good for me). So my new year resolution is to not work so hard (lol) and to have a work/life balance (that is to make time to enjoy piano practice).

Will be prayin' for ya. All the best!

Warus

M
M
Hello everyone!

My name is Laura, and I'm finally taking the plunge and learning how to play the piano. As a child, I really wanted to take piano lessons but my family could not afford it. I ended up getting my musical education through being in the bands in my public schools. I played percussion and french horn for 12 years, and have also dabbled in guitar.

Now that I'm an adult (most of the time at least, ha!) I've decided to take my tax refund and do something for myself with it. This past weekend I purchased a Casio PX-120. I will also eventually be inheriting an acoustic upright that was my Grandmother's, it's a beautiful instrument!

I already know the basics of music theory, although I've never been a very good sight reader. Once I start learning something, I dive into it head first and practice a LOT. My ultimate goal is to be able to play Clair de Lune, which was my Grandmother's favorite song to play. I know it will take me many years to get to that level, but I know that it will happen as long as I stick with it.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here, it's already been very helpful from what I have read! smile

"Music is the space between the notes." - Claude Debussy
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Welcome, Laura! Clair de Lune is a lovely and achievable goal. Sightreading will come with practice--maybe a teacher has some beginning books you can borrow and work through quickly. Good luck with your new instrument!

Nancy

Estonia 168
My name is Savath, (savat). It might sound french to some people but I'm Cambodian/Chinese. I started learning Piano late. Before I had just a keyboard with 61 keys to practice on for like a month or 2. I manage to read music in about a week or two. Then I decided to take lesson. I'm 21 now, and some days of the piano to go snowboarding. So you can say I only study 2 years or less. My father is a guitarist and loves playing. I think thats where I get my music traits from

Thanks to some of my teacher's pupils, listening to them play made me push myself harder, right after my first recital.

Currently on
Bach Inventions/Sinfonias
Chopin Mazurkas/Waltzs/Polonaises
Sonatina Albums
Schumann Album of the young *only assign to afew pieces*

Page 27 of 74 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission