2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
smile

S
S
I haven't been around in a while. Leave it to Mr. Super-Hunky to make this board always so interesting.

I'm 39 and live in westeren, NY and I'm married to a guy I met at my 10 year high school reunion. Who would of thought that would happen?

I became a teacher because I had a great Fashion Merchandising teacher in high school who had a major impact on my life (at the Career & Technical where I work). I set my goal to take her job when she retired so I could also make a difference in kids lives. I did reach that goal and I taught that program for 2 years until they closed it 8 years ago, I was given a new position at the center. I'm a work experience coordinator and I've been placing high school students on internships for the past 8 years. I will be teaching a night course (Introduction to Fashion Merchadising) this fall at Buffalo State College for the first time. I'm a little nervous, but I've always wanted to teach at the college level.

I play my piano everyday. I'm getting better and I love the music. I've always loved music, but it was more like the Scorpions, Van Halen and KISS 20 years ago. I was a big haired Rock n Roll chick I guess you could say. I went to a ton of concerts in the 80's.

I love reading everyone's bios. It's so interesting to read about all of you.

I'm also an aspiring writer. I'm writing a fiction novel based on exact true events about a 6 horrific murders that happed 80 years ago about 7 miles from where I live. Only I haven't hardly touched it since I started playing piano 6 months ago. There are only so many hours in a day. I've got about 150 pages of my first draft done. It will end up being a retirement project.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sue, thanks for sharing i love reading the mini backgrounds for everyone:)

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi! I'm Álvaro, from Spain, 18 years. I'm a piano student. I looooooooooove music. Why? Because music is everything.

I also love reading and writing... and some other things.
Hmm... no girlfriend frown I will marry myself.

I practice from six to eight hours each day, I began recently and I'm learning veeeeeery fast, actually, I'm very happy!!! smile

I want to become a pianist or a piano teacher.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hi AQP_87, welcome! You are lucky indeed to be able to play 6-8 hours a day. And at 18 you are way too young to think about getting married, so don't sweat it. Besides, after seeing your picture on the other thread, I have no worries about you finding a beautiful and friendly lady friend. wink

Sue: Good to see you back. And good on you for your writing! I have always had a desire to write something besides boring scholarly articles but have not yet gotten up the nerve to sit down and do it. You've got 150 pages of what sounds like a great book! I hope you will finish it some day.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Let's see.

I'm a 44-year-old chick, married, with daughters (14 and 11) and a son (8). I'm what I like to call a stay-at-home lawyer, which means I practice law from home, except when I don't. Like Bernard, I can't quite believe I've grown this old because I feel like I'm in my late 20s.

I started piano lessons as an adult seven years ago. I am very surprised that I stuck with it. I mean, this is hard! Every time I sit down at my big ol' grand piano and play something, I am amazed that it's me doing it. My biggest piano accomplishment is playing a lot of recitals and getting over my terror at playing before an audience (mostly). Gotta face those fears, ya know?

I play a lot of tennis (my other passion) and I am learning golf to keep my husband happy.

I used to post a ton here, but these days I'm mostly at one of the PW spin-offs that formed when CR closed. I'm thrilled that ABF continues to grow and thrive. You guys *rock!*

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Hi AQP_87, welcome! You are lucky indeed to be able to play 6-8 hours a day. And at 18 you are way too young to think about getting married, so don't sweat it. Besides, after seeing your picture on the other thread, I have no worries about you finding a beautiful and friendly lady friend. wink
Hello Monica smile I have read several of your posts, and you're a very nice person.
Yes, being able to practice 6-8 hours is something to be happy about. But after practicing I have to go running just to breath fresh air... Otherwise I would turn mad (more laugh ).
Nice to talk with you Monica!

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
T
T
I can't believe I have actually finished reading all of this (the second night-finishing the last two pages in this thread. smile
Super Hunky you are just good at getting others to open up.. smile

It looks like theres a few others here as well into photography, played or plays trumpet, other instruments, and I dont remember who but born in Hamburg Germany...I was born in Nernburg Germany.
I have family and friends all over but mainly in Akron Ohio and Virgina..Moved here in South Carolina at the age of 9 and this is where I call home the same town where my parents started out before buying and renting in other places nearby.

Anyways, My name is Tracy L. M. King,(Lots of Tracy Kings in the world with many talents or popular a work in progress by me)
age 30, female, stay and work at home mom of 2 boys (homeschool) 2 step daughters, and 1 grandson.

I really never thought I would enjoy being with out a car, wich we have a truck and I use it from time to time atleast twice a week... Gotta help global warming somehow...I stay at home so much wich gives me free time to practice..
I never thought I would love to practice either.
I look forward to practicing and sometimes just happen to pass by or look up in the middle of the day to say piano time...Having two small boys that love music I have learned a lot childrens songs so that they can sing along nursery type so fun smile plus they are easy.
I started band in my teens, 2 years of high school marching and concert band. (trumpet and percussion or pit crew member) One year of piano class a 30 minute class with 9 others each having their own keyboard and headphones to play with one of the best teachers Mrs Godfrey..
Never had a piano growing up just a keyboard with tiny keys but I still tinkered with it...
You could say as a child, I had a mean momma who told me "you cant", more than one time at any of my thoughts or ideas, specially things that had to do with hobby, talent, and enjoyment from desires to try....Most of all that I couldnt follow my dreams and be successful as a muscian or artist.
So I really am glad to be apart of this group as I also read that there are some good positive thinkers, natural healers, as well as psychologist or (gonna be) here.

So other than music being a big part of my life photography, art, and learning to write better so I can write poems and limericks or document my images for family scrapbooks. I also enjoy journal writing it helps me to find the truth about things in life where as my mom was a controller or manipulator for 27 years of my life...

Music that I really enjoy playing or learning
Nora Jones, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Lynard Skynard, Billy Joel, Nickleback, Stevie Wonder, just to name a few..I have been studying jazz for the past year, perhaps one day I will play in New Orleans... I have recently discovered and been invited to play with the local concert band that is a big part of the arts or reaching out to kids in the community..

Sorry to ramble on here, I didnt mean to make a long posting..I usually do when it comes to describing something I am interested in..
I am still new to the forums and I am so thankful to be apart of it with all the wonderful people here..

Peace!
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Nice in depth reply moon thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bernard: umm, how do you ensure that your birds STAY in their kitchen area? Are you worried about bird poop in the piano at all? eek My stepmother had parrots who roamed free in the house. I still remember getting dive-bombed once when they decided to zoom around the ground floor!
(Monica, sorry for my delayed response, I've been away.)

Well I don't ensure that they stay in the kitchen. In fact they don't! laugh They'll come into the dining room when I'm having breakfast and I make sure to have a catalog or newspaper for them to shred up; they love to chew. They also fly into the living room area but not as often (I think? eek smile ).

Yes, they've blessed (so to speak wink ) other areas of my apartment but the odorless residue is easy to swipe away when dry. These birds are quite small and do not leave as much evidence as a full grown parrot would.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Hello All,

I know this thread has been active for a while, but better late than never.

I am a 42 year old male who took up the piano starting in January. I've never played an instrument before, so everything is starting from scratch. I currently playing a Yamaha Digital Clavinova CLP-240. It suits me just fine for training, but I hope to move up to a grand acoustic in a couple of years.

I am taking lessons weekly from a UCLA music school grad who excels in classical music. He recently put on a recital for all his students that was nothing short of phenomenal. I am working on Michael Aaron's Grade 1 lesson book. I will try to participate in the next recital, although it will be very short.

My music interests are mainly in Pop and Classic Rock. My very first concert I attended was Elton John, and now I've seen him about 10 different times. I also enjoy Billy Joel, who I'm seeing tonight, and Jim Brickman who I saw last month.

I live in Chandler, AZ which is just south of Phoenix and about 30 miles from Super-Hunky. I have been married 21 years to a beautiful lady and we have two cute little girls, ages 7 and 5. I hope to get them playing the piano also.

I am empoyed by the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller at Sky Harbor airport for the last 17 years. My other interests are golfing, woodworking, and traveling.

I look forward to participating in this forum with all you fine people.

Doug Hart

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, ATC eh? I hope the piano will help you de-stress. smile

No way has your wife been married 21 years, kickbackkid. You, maybe; but tell her I said she looked no older than 25 in her picture!

Ever since I read Alex Hailey's "Airport" as a kid I have had a fascination with air traffic controllers. The combination of so much responsibility and so little margin of error terrifies me, though. My hat's off to you!

Originally posted by Bob Muir:
Wow, ATC eh? I hope the piano will help you de-stress. smile
Bob,

I have to laugh everytime I hear this when I tell them what kind of work I do. The media and movies always portrays us as a bunch of stressed out, smoking and drinking bums. I only have two of the three! eek

Actually, it's no more stressful than working at a Mcdonald's. There are so many procedures set up to keep the planes apart and it becomes so routine. Besides, if I screw up, I'm not the one who's going to die. wink

Doug

No way has your wife been married 21 years, kickbackkid. You, maybe; but tell her I said she looked no older than 25 in her picture!

Ever since I read Alex Hailey's "Airport" as a kid I have had a fascination with air traffic controllers. The combination of so much responsibility and so little margin of error terrifies me, though. My hat's off to you!
Monica,

My wife appreciated the compliment. I guess that doesn't bode well for me however. frown Actually, she's one month older than me. She always tells our kids that she's 31. I'm sure she could pass for that.

Doug

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Between this thread, the pics thread, and our common interest in piano, I really feel like we're becoming friends.

Tolovemoon - Stevie Wonder is the best!

I am 40 years old! I am a RN, and I work at nights on the weekends in a busy ER. I truly love my weekend work! I have been married for 20 years this July! I have two children ages 11 (daughter)and 16(son). We have two laborador retrievers. We all live in Houston, Texas, and have for the last 11 years. Prior to that we were in Denver, Colorado. I miss the weather!

My children are both homeschooled,(I homeschool them during the week, hence, weekend nurse!) as they both had different learning styles that were unable to be met by the public schools where we live, and we found an excellent curriculum that fits their learning styles, and our lifestyle. Both my children were diagnosed with ADHD, however, my daughter was also diagnosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder. While it is clear that there are challenges, we have been able to address and meet these challenges. My son tested college level in reading and writing in the 7th grade, and wrote his first novel when he was 9 years old, over the summer! It was incredible! He has won several awards and received recognition for his writing. He is also an excellent guitarist after only 18 months. He loves improvising, and playing Joe Satriani pieces, and learns pieces by ear. He doesn't read notes! Our challenge with him, academic motivation! Extremely gifted, and yet would rather be doing anything but school!
My daughter is on grade level,and also excels in reading and writing. She is now ,finally, working fairly independently, and is very academically motivated. No real challenges with her. She knows what is expected, and does it. Maybe it's a "girl" thing! She sings and writes her own songs. She has a great little voice for 11 years old.

I am totally and admittedly addicted to music and my piano! I love to read books on music, listen to music, and then play the music I hear! Only one problem, my fingers are not as enthusiastic as my ears, and I must read music to be able to play. I am working on imrovisation, however theory is not one of my strong points! I have been playing for 2 years in May. I just bought a Yamaha grand piano on my birthday in November. I took lessons as a child at age 6-7 and then 9-10, and then played for one year in Chorus! I played the very simple pieces, the other girl played the more difficult pieces! It was at that age (12), that music began to mean a lot to me, but we were unable to afford lessons, so I quickly grew frustrated with myself and gave up the piano!

In May 2004, I was taking my daughter for piano lessons, and I heard the most beautiful music I had heard in a very long time. I asked him what he was playing, he said Ron A La Natural! I was so blown away at his improvisation style, I had to begin lessons myself. I now take theory from him, and technique/piano, from another teacher, a doctoral student at a local University.

I am playing at about early intermediate/sight readable, to intermediate, challenging for me.
I have been working on the K545 for about a month now, and I am still working on the smoothness of all the runs, and the timing of it all! I am always up for piano discussions! Never bored with piano! If I could, I would own 100 of them!

Favorite composer: Chopin, Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Schubert, Mendelssohn!

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Okay, this will probably come across as sounding a bit vain, but imagine my shock when I saw this thread pop up! Huh? A thread addressed to me(just look at my signature)?!!

After all, I am a tenor......

First, my interest in pianos. I grew up with a piano in the house for most of my life, took lessons from my grandfather for a short time when I was six, self-taught for awhile, then took some more piano in my one year of college as a vocal performance major. While I was in high school, my parents bought a 1922 Hamilton(made by Baldwin) Manualo player, which absolutely fascinated me. We'd had the piano less than two weeks, when one day I shut myself in the family room where we had it and took it apart down to the strings and keybed. My father got suspicious after hearing nothing from the family room for over a couple of hours, took a peek at the worst possible time, and managed to maintain his composure to the point of simply saying, "For your sake, I hope you can put it back together." After tinkering around with that piano for a bit, I got interested enough to apprentice a piano rebuilder for a couple of years, and learned to be a piano technician from the soundboard up. I ended up joining the Navy, which interfered greatly with tuning on a regular basis, so I never really got into the business on my own, but tuned and did repair work occaisionally. We have a 20 month-old daughter who is bewitched by the piano, and the player action of the Hamilton is in dire need of rebuilding, so my thoughts lately have been more and more about gtetting enthusiastic about pianos all over again.

As for other background, I have a wonderful wife and child, I have the priveledge of being the stay-at-home parent, and still get to sing professionally(hence the user ID). I'm in my tenth season with the San Diego Opera chorus, as well as singing professionally at other venues locally.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Originally posted by OperaTenor:
imagine my shock when I saw this thread pop up! Huh? A thread addressed to me(just look at my signature)?!!
LOL! laugh That was a great story about taking apart your piano. Uh, you're not going to get an invite to MY house any time soon!

Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission