Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#985161 - 07/26/06 09:04 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
ARIAS Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay
David:[/b]
  • I am enjoying so much reading your answers to our questions. It gives your music that much more meaning. Most of your songs have the prettiest melodies. What I like about your music is the way you seem to so easily have a melody in your songs, What I mean is I actually humm your melody to myself until I fall asleep. As I arise early a.m. I can still hear that melody in my mind.

• I have a question....Do you ever have pains in your hands or wrists after hours of playing? Do you do any exercises or stretching exercises for your hands ?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#985162 - 07/26/06 09:10 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma
This may be a question you do not want to answer but has any of your CD's sold in the 200,000 plus mark. I am talking copies not dollars.

Do you teach any to supplement your income or do you find you make enough to actually make a decent living on CD,s and concerts alone.

I am just asking because I plan my life around music and want to be a musician full time. You know, record and teach, play concerts and stuff, gig myself out. Right now it is a hobby but I look to develop it into a career.

Do you think this is possible or in your case did fate play a bigger role. What I mean by fate is did you get to a point where you felt that God wanted you to do this so you got serious and pursued your calling or do you feel it kind of just developed over time.

I know these are personal questions so I understand if you do not answer them all. Thanks.

#985163 - 07/26/06 09:20 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hi David,

I hope to be able to see ALL your music be in sheet music form eventually. I just love playing your music! It's becoming an obsession for me \:\)

flickr

#985164 - 07/29/06 01:08 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Okay, I thought of another question:

Most of us here are going through the agony (er, unalloyed pleasure) of trying to come up with a usable recording of a piece for our upcoming on-line recital. How long does it take you to record an album's worth of pieces? How many takes on average do you have to do of a piece to get one you consider "album-worthy"? Are the pieces on your album recorded in one take or do you do a lot of editing to come up with one perfect recording?

#985165 - 08/02/06 01:56 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by ARIAS:
[QB] What I like about your music is the way you seem to so easily have a melody in your songs, What I mean is I actually humm your melody to myself until I fall asleep. As I arise early a.m. I can still hear that melody in my mind.
Thanks!

Quote:
I have a question....Do you ever have pains in your hands or wrists after hours of playing? Do you do any exercises or stretching exercises for your hands ?
Yes, I experience pain in my hands/wrists/arms and pedal leg on a regular basis. It's just become a part of my life.

Years ago, I was given three days notice to prepare for a Christmas gig, and I practiced under a highly stressful situation for eight hours each of the three days before the show.

I was in pain by half-way through the second day, but I kept pressing on... It was the worse decision I ever made, and all for a $75.00 gig.

For MONTHS afterward, my wrists and fingers were in so much pain that I literally couldn't play the piano. I couldn't even type on a keyboard without pain. At work, I held a pencil in each hand and used the eraser tips to type so I wouldn't have to move my fingers. When I used my fingers, it felt like someone was lighting a match to the inside of my wrists. It hurt really bad.

I remember sitting with my arms in bowls of ice for entire evenings. During this time, I remember watching "32 short films about Glenn Gould", a movie I recommend, by the way, and in that movie there's a scene where Gould has his arms in ice and taking painkillers and I remember thinking, "Oh my goodness, that's me."

I thought I'd never play the piano again. It terrified me.

I did eventually recover through both physical therapy and taking lots of vitamin B. It took me about a year before I could play the piano for an hour at a time. But to this day I still experience pain, especially in the day or two before I perform. Whenever I feel stress, it goes right to my arms and wrists.

My pedal leg issue started up after playing mall gigs for long periods of time. That doesn't bother me as much as my arms, but when I play for hours on end in a mall, it starts acting up.

Yes, I do do stretches to help my wrists, especially when I'm preparing for a gig.

But more often than not, when I play a long gig (longer than 90 minutes or so), I take Tylenol to get through it, otherwise I start thinking about the pain more than the performance.

#985166 - 08/02/06 03:02 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by psychopianoman:
[QB] This may be a question you do not want to answer but has any of your CD's sold in the 200,000 plus mark. I am talking copies not dollars.
I don't keep track of the numbers, but I can say for sure that NO, my CD sales are not even close to that. Brickman, Winston and Lanz have achieved those numbers, but I'm not sure many others have, espcially for a single album.

Quote:
Do you teach any to supplement your income or do you find you make enough to actually make a decent living on CD,s and concerts alone.
I don't teach, but I'm full time in the music business. I have been for five years. My income comes from sales of my CDs, music downloads, sheet music, my book (promoteyourmusic.com) and then a smaller portion from various partnerships I've developed online. Everything I do though, is music-related in one way or another.

Quote:
I am just asking because I plan my life around music and want to be a musician full time. You know, record and teach, play concerts and stuff, gig myself out. Right now it is a hobby but I look to develop it into a career.
It's possible, but very difficult, especially if you have a family. It's not just the financial cost, but the time cost. Doing what I do is very demanding on your time. Just trying to keep your head above water takes an extreme amount of effort. It requires a very patient and understanding wife, which God has blessed me with. \:\)

It would be easier for me, financially, if I gigged more than I do. But I try not to travel too much as when I do I'm away from the family and it also prevents me from composing or recording. I can't write when I'm on the road as I'm always busy with preparing for the next gig.

I do believe that any talented musician with a marketable recording can make a good, solid income from music. But it's hard to make enough to live on on a *continuous* basis. That takes years to do. I've been building my career up since 1991. So where I am now is the result of 15 years of hard, hard work.

Quote:
Do you think this is possible or in your case did fate play a bigger role. What I mean by fate is did you get to a point where you felt that God wanted you to do this so you got serious and pursued your calling or do you feel it kind of just developed over time.
In the beginning, I didn't PLAN on doing music full time. I mean, sure, I wanted to. Every artist hopes that someday they can financially support themselves just doing their art. But I understood the music industry and I realized that the reality was that I would never sell the millions of albums required to actually come out ahead as an artist.

Then the Internet came along, and it provided an opportunity for me to grow my own career without worrying about the corporate music industry. You see, a recording artist who signes a major label deal (assuming a typical record contract) has to sell about 1.2 million albums to break even. That means that an artist who manages to have a gold record (500,000 units] still ends up in serious debt to his/her record label. That's part of the reason you keep having these pop/rock artists who are HUGE for a year or two and then you don't hear much from them again. An artist has to have a multi-platinum album to be able to afford to keep the machine going.

But if you can go independent, forgo a record label, do your own promotion, marketing, advertising and distribution, then you don't need to sell near that many to break even. Once I sell about 500 CDs, I've broken even on that album. Everything beyond that is profit. Of course, there are always ongoing expenses, but my point is than an independent artist who sells just 10,000 CDs will take home *much* more money than a signed artist with a million units sold on a major label.

So, that's the technical end of things. Basically, the Internet has provided the tools any artist needs to become successful on their own without worrying at all about what the "corporate music industry" thinks.

As to the spiritual side of your question, as I look back on my life, I can see how God has led me to this exact place as an artist. So yes, I believe God brought me here and intends for me to do what I am now doing. If God didn't intend for me to be doing this then, well, I don't think I would be.

However, I don't believe that what I'm doing now is my final destination. God's design for me, at this particular moment, may be for me to be a pianist and composer. But I believe that God is using the current events in my life to prepare me for whatever He has planned for me in the future. My music career may be nothing more than a stepping stone on the journey.

We'll have to wait and see together. \:\)

#985167 - 08/02/06 03:03 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kawaigirl1:
I hope to be able to see ALL your music be in sheet music form eventually. [/b]
Me too. That's my goal. I keep knocking them out a few at a time so sooner or later I should catch up. \:\)

#985168 - 08/02/06 03:32 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Most of us here are going through the agony (er, unalloyed pleasure) of trying to come up with a usable recording of a piece for our upcoming on-line recital. How long does it take you to record an album's worth of pieces? How many takes on average do you have to do of a piece to get one you consider "album-worthy"? Are the pieces on your album recorded in one take or do you do a lot of editing to come up with one perfect recording? [/b]
Good question!

Each of my albums has taken longer than the previous ones to record.

I recorded my first album, The Tower, in 11 hours. The second album took 13. Then I started doing them in multiple recording sessions, four or five songs at a time.

My latest album, Overcome, was the result of three straight days in the studio. It was actually the first time since album #2 that I recorded the entire album at the same time, rather than a few songs at a time.

I take more time with albums in the studio nowadays because, first of all, I'm much more of a perfectionist and secondly, because I can afford to be more particular. With my first couple of albums I had one day to do it and that was it. I couldn't afford to be picky about the takes. I just didn't have the money.

So anyway, here's my approach, generally speaking:

When I'm in the recording studio, I'll usually play a song several times in a row to try and find the "perfect" take. Most of the time, that happens, or very nearly happens, by take four or five. Usually with the first couple of takes I'm too wound up. It takes me 2-3 takes to chill out and just play the song without being over-aware that every sound I make is being recorded.

About two thirds of the time, what happens is I end up with a take that's very nearly perfect, except maybe I'll like how I started or finished a different take better. Startings/Endings are, I think, the most important parts of the song. They are the first and last impressions. So I may use all of take 4 up to the last 30 seconds, for example, and then edit in the last 30 seconds from take 2 because that was the ending that had the vibe I was looking for.

I'd say about 1/3 of the songs on an album are single takes. Most of the others contain 1-2 edits.

I never piece a song together with a ton of edits. It disturbs the performance too much. I can justify a small edit, or using an alternate beginning and/or ending, but that's about as much editing as I prefer to do.

If after five takes, I still haven't gotten the "perfect" take, I move on to a different song and come back to the original song later. Otherwise, I become too frustrated. The only way to record a great take with a great vibe is to stay relaxed.

The most takes ever on a song? 32 on "Walking in Shadow" on Overcome. I went into the studio expecting it to be an easy song to put down, but I couldn't get the right feel in the left hand on the particular piano I was playing. The bass was coming off much too strong and I had to keep lightening my touch on the left hand. I finally got it after almost giving up on it. \:\)

One of my favorite periods recording "Overcome" was "There is a Redeemer" and "It is Well With My Soul."

I recorded the songs one after the other and we got the perfect take on the very first try on both songs. No edits.

I remember playing "It is Well With My Soul", and then as I listened to it back in the studio I couldn't hold back the tears. I was so moved and so happy for how the song came out I just prayed right then and thanked the Lord for it.

The song meant so much to me as it was my dad's favorite Hymn. I did it for him, and when it came off so well I just couldn't contain the emotion. I was very pleased with it.

So now you know.

#985169 - 08/02/06 07:21 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Thanks for the in-depth reply to Monica's question! As Monica points out, many of us here have gone through the pleasure/pain of trying to get a good recording to share with others, so its great to get a professional perspective.

I like your idea of '5 takes, then if it hasn't happened, then move to a different song'. That's something which I have tended to do as well. After about 4 or 5 takes, I actually start to get a bit tense and even angry with myself, so I move on to the next piece and wipe the slate clean.

Thanks again for the detailed insight \:\)

#985170 - 08/02/06 07:26 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Dsus2 Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi David,

I've got no direct question in mind. I was just reading the first post in this thread and got really curious about your way of composing, especially the part about sheet music.
I came to hear your music through Whisperings solo piano radio. Overall, this station plays a lot of music that seems to fit me. When I sit down at the piano, playing around with things and improvising, music such as this tends to come out pretty often.
I'm really curious about the fact that you don't "write" music. Getting my music written down is in fact something that bothers me sometimes. I sit down and improvise a lot, and when I come across something interesting, I develop that, and after awhile, a new piece is born. Many times though, I just record something without thinking too much about what I am playing, and as a result if someone asks me for sheet music I have none. Neither could I play the piece accurately again. I can read/write sheet music, but only at the computer. My eye sight is too bad for reading printed sheets, however, I can't imagine myself "writing" a song just like that. I try to play standard classical works from time to time, but in my situation it takes a very long time to complete a piece (wish I had absolute pitch...).

Conclusion:
I'm really glad to see there are piano composers working in this way! \:\)

#985171 - 08/04/06 12:54 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dsus2:
I sit down and improvise a lot, and when I come across something interesting, I develop that, and after awhile, a new piece is born. Many times though, I just record something without thinking too much about what I am playing, and as a result if someone asks me for sheet music I have none. Neither could I play the piece accurately again. [/b]
I think I would be the same way, were it not for the fact that I'm performing. Once I record a song, really the only reason to "keep it around" in my head is so that I can perform it at concerts. So were it not for those concerts, I'm sure I would have forgotten most all of my older pieces by now.

I really enjoy doing concerts, though, and so I'm very glad to have those opportunities to play for people.

#985172 - 08/04/06 04:18 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi David

I know I haven't asked you any questions but, I have enjoyed every moment of this thread, especially reading all of your answers \:\)

thanks

Lee \:\)

#985173 - 08/05/06 10:25 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Monica K. Offline

David, thank you very much for the detailed description of your recording process. I think that I am going about my recital recording entirely the wrong way. I'll start playing until I make a big enough mistake that I know that I won't want to use that take. Then I stop and start over. Since many times this "big mistake" will occur very early in a piece, I can be sitting there attempting dozens of takes and getting more and more frustrated and anxious in the process.

Your strategy of just doing 4 or 5 full versions of the piece, knowing ahead of time that you probably won't use the first 2 or 3, would seem to take a lot of the pressure off and be a lot better from a mental health point of view. \:\)

I was saddened to hear of your problems with pain. That must be so frustrating, especially for somebody who is making his living with music. Have you ever tried to find a physical therapist or physician who specializes in treating musicians?

When you practice, do you spend much or any time doing scales or Hanon type stuff? [hoping fervently that the answer is "no," so that she can say "well, if David Nevue doesn't do scales, I don't have to either!" \:D ]

#985174 - 08/05/06 11:50 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
johnpsychdoc Offline

Loc: New Jersey
David

Just a brief thank you for the beautiful music you've brought into my family's life. In particular making the long drive home after a difficult day's work is made so peaceful and tranquil listening to your beautiful ballads.Thank you for suggesting some simplier pieces (eg.Solitude) that a beginner like myself may some day learn and play. My two young daughters now actually request that I put on your cds rather than listen to Pop music when we're all driving together. We plan to catch you in performance somewhere in the Northeast late this year when you hopefully travel our way. May the future bring you much personal success and more importantly peace.

John

#985175 - 08/06/06 07:41 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
David,

Earlier when talking about learning to play you mentioned listening to artists you like and trying to learn what they do. When you went through that learning process did you pick artists from different styles (e.g. blues, ragtime, classical, "new age") or were the artists all of the same general style ? If there were different styles, do you think your own style is made up of influences from all those different styles, or do you think it was more influenced by the artists of one particular style ?

I find you incredibly generous to take time to participate in this thread. Thank you very much.
- Fresco's Law

#985176 - 08/08/06 04:25 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
I know I haven't asked you any questions but, I have enjoyed every moment of this thread, especially reading all of your answers \:\)
thanks[/b]
You're welcome, Lee. Thanks for reading. \:\)

#985177 - 08/08/06 04:30 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
I'll start playing until I make a big enough mistake that I know that I won't want to use that take. Then I stop and start over. Since many times this "big mistake" will occur very early in a piece, I can be sitting there attempting dozens of takes and getting more and more frustrated and anxious in the process.
Yes, that's the thing. You can't stop when you have the big mistake. Just keep going. Otherwise you just build up the frustration and you can't get a relaxed take.

Quote:
I was saddened to hear of your problems with pain. That must be so frustrating, especially for somebody who is making his living with music. Have you ever tried to find a physical therapist or physician who specializes in treating musicians?
Well, yes, sort of. I mean, I've seen a physical therapist who really helped me recover. I still have the issues, but they are mostly in control now. I can tell when I'm pushing it and I slow down.

The hardest time is around the holidays, as that's when I usually play at the mall. Those are the times it gets really bad because I play hours at a time.

Quote:
When you practice, do you spend much or any time doing scales or Hanon type stuff? hoping fervently that the answer is "no," so that she can say "well, if David Nevue doesn't do scales, I don't have to either!" [/b]
No, I don't, though I know I should.

I think Hanon is a GREAT way to train your fingers. I really recommend it for new players, but no, I don't do them. \:\)

#985178 - 08/08/06 04:31 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jr1053:
Just a brief thank you for the beautiful music you've brought into my family's life. In particular making the long drive home after a difficult day's work is made so peaceful and tranquil listening to your beautiful ballads.Thank you for suggesting some simplier pieces (eg.Solitude) that a beginner like myself may some day learn and play. My two young daughters now actually request that I put on your cds rather than listen to Pop music when we're all driving together. We plan to catch you in performance somewhere in the Northeast late this year when you hopefully travel our way. May the future bring you much personal success and more importantly peace. John [/b]
Thanks so much for the kind words, John. \:\)

#985179 - 08/08/06 04:36 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepElem:
Earlier when talking about learning to play you mentioned listening to artists you like and trying to learn what they do. When you went through that learning process did you pick artists from different styles (e.g. blues, ragtime, classical, "new age") or were the artists all of the same general style ?
Well, it was George Winston's music, for the most part. In those days, there really weren't many other artists out there like him. When I started listening to Winston, I don't think they were calling him "New Age" yet.

I also played around with Supertramp and enjoyed working on some Chopin pieces. Chopin's Etudes were really the only classical pieces I enjoyed working on.

Quote:
If there were different styles, do you think your own style is made up of influences from all those different styles, or do you think it was more influenced by the artists of one particular style?[/b]
I think my influences are made up of all the music I've really poured myself into over the years. George Winston was a big one, but so was Pink Floyd and even Rush.

You might enjoy reading my list of influences at http://www.davidnevue.com/influences.htm .

#985180 - 08/08/06 04:38 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by David Nevue:
 Quote:
Originally posted by DeepElem:
Earlier when talking about learning to play you mentioned listening to artists you like and trying to learn what they do. When you went through that learning process did you pick artists from different styles (e.g. blues, ragtime, classical, "new age") or were the artists all of the same general style ?
[/b] Well, it was George Winston's music, for the most part. In those days, there really weren't many other artists out there like him. When I started listening to Winston, I don't think they were calling him "New Age" yet.

I also played around with Supertramp and enjoyed working on some Chopin pieces. Chopin's Etudes were really the only classical pieces I enjoyed working on.

Quote:
If there were different styles, do you think your own style is made up of influences from all those different styles, or do you think it was more influenced by the artists of one particular style?
I think my influences are made up of all the music I've really poured myself into over the years. George Winston was a big one, but so was Pink Floyd and even Rush. During college I listened to Clannad and U2 all the time, as well as Jeff Johnson. They all played a part.

You might enjoy reading my list of influences at http://www.davidnevue.com/influences.htm . [/b]

#985181 - 08/08/06 09:19 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Rubiko Offline

Hi,first of all,thx David for answering all these questions,i really enjoy reading them! \:D
i play the piano for 7 years now,and the first years i dont enjoyed it,until i heard your music.. thank you for that! \:\)

i have one big question,where do you get the inspiration for the titles of your songs?

PS: sorry for my bad english,i hope you understand it :p

#985182 - 08/12/06 05:15 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubiko:
i have one big question,where do you get the inspiration for the titles of your songs? [/b]
I just title the songs what seems right to call them. \:\)

When I write/play most songs, I have a particular thing in mind. An image, place, event, person or a mood. So usually, the song title comes from that - my trying to convey what it is that's on my mind when playing the song.

#985183 - 08/12/06 09:19 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Monica K. Offline

David, here's a question from my 10-year-old daughter, Athena:

"What type of piano do you have?"

#985184 - 08/13/06 07:52 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
twitch77 Offline

Loc: wyoming
david, i'd just like to personaly thank you.
your words are very inspiring and mesmorizing. i'm listening to some of your songs, and i've just read all of your replys up to this point, and i'm just really inspired right now.
you'll have to excuse me for lack of words here. . .i'm not quite sure what it is i'm feeling right now, this may sound odd but reading your posts, and listening to your music has put me into somewhat of a dream state of mind (might be that it's almost 6 am. . .with no sleep yet too! ;P ).
so thank you. you're a truely gifted person, both in music, and by words.

#985185 - 08/19/06 12:46 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
David, here's a question from my 10-year-old daughter, Athena: "What type of piano do you have?" [/b]
I have a 4'11" Young Chang baby grand. It puts out a lot of sound for it's size and had a nice, dark sound. A heavy touch, too, which I like.

But I've just about worn the piano out. I hope, perhaps next year, to be able to afford to upgrade. I've seriously worn this one out.

#985186 - 08/19/06 12:47 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by twitch77:
david, i'd just like to personaly thank you.
your words are very inspiring and mesmorizing. i'm listening to some of your songs, and i've just read all of your replys up to this point, and i'm just really inspired right now.
you'll have to excuse me for lack of words here. . .i'm not quite sure what it is i'm feeling right now, this may sound odd but reading your posts, and listening to your music has put me into somewhat of a dream state of mind (might be that it's almost 6 am. . .with no sleep yet too! ;P ).
so thank you. you're a truely gifted person, both in music, and by words. [/b]
Wow, that's nice of you to say. You're quite welcome!

#985187 - 08/19/06 01:03 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Monica K. Offline

Thanks, David. I realized after I posted I could've looked up your profile, but my daughter was so tickled pink to ask a question of a Real Live Famous Musician that I thought I'd let it stay. \:\)

I've been truly enjoying your Whisperings piano internet station. How did you get the idea to start that and how complicated was it to set up? And how did you find all the artists you highlight on the station? One thing I find pretty frustrating is that record stores and most radio stations just don't carry or play a lot of solo piano music. That's why your station (and Rhapsody) has been so rewarding to me. \:\)

#985188 - 09/04/06 05:32 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
David Nevue Offline

Hi Monica,

It's been awhile since you posted this, so I hope you see my response. Anyway...

Quote:
I've been truly enjoying your Whisperings piano internet station. How did you get the idea to start that and how complicated was it to set up? And how did you find all the artists you highlight on the station? [/b]
You've heard the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention?" Well, that definitely applies here. I really didn't have a lot of options for promoting my own piano music to radio. While sure, there are little programs here and there (mostly college stations) that play solo piano, most of these are in the middle of the night or very brief - like two hours once per week.

So I decided to start my own Internet radio station. I started Whisperings in August 2003 and now, three years later, it's the #1 broadcast on Live365.com About 750,000 people a month tune in.

The station wasn't hard to start - Live365.com makes it easy to start and run your own broadcast. The tough part was (and still is) financing it. I'm starting to get that figured out now, though, I think. Just last month I released a subscription (commercial-free) version of our broadcast. Listeners can pay $5/month to support the program and they get several benefits from that.

As for the artists, in the beginning I contacted some of my pianists friends and had them send me their CDs for inclusion on the show. I did that for the first dozen artists or so. After that, CDs just started coming in. I probably get 2-3 CDs a week from artists wanting to be on the show. There's no end to good piano music out there.

So there you have if. For those of you not familiar with Whisperings, you can tune in at http://www.solopianoradio.com

#985189 - 09/05/06 10:11 PM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
Monica K. Offline

The technical aspects of running an internet radio station still seem daunting to me. I guess at some point you have to burn all those CDs, then decide on some ordering of what to play (or perhaps the station just picks them randomly?). And don't you have to keep track of what you play to pay royalties?

I do love your station, though. I was probably among your earliest subscribers this summer, and I can honestly say that there hasn't been a piece I've heard on it that I haven't liked. \:\)

In fact, I'm going through Whisperings withdrawal right now. My campus is having trouble with its network streaming, and I haven't been able to play your station or Rhapsody for a week now. In fact, I've had to resort to the near-obsolete technology of just playing CDs (the horror!).

Say, this is off-topic, but did you rearrange your concert schedule for October? I thought I had a vague notion you'd be in Ohio, and I was going to drive up for it, but your website isn't showing any Ohio concerts now. \:\(

#985190 - 09/26/06 10:23 AM Re: Let's ask David Nevue lots of Questions!!
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Found this thread buried, and got to thinking...

I know, very dangerous.

Perhaps we could ask for an "Ask the Pros" forum for David, Scott, Bradley, etc. so these would not get buried, and everyone can find them easily.

Just a thought...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Alux, aesop, AndrewJCW, 88 Fingers Jeff, 21 invisible), 985 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308095 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission