2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
R
Hi,first of all,thx David for answering all these questions,i really enjoy reading them! laugh
i play the piano for 7 years now,and the first years i dont enjoyed it,until i heard your music.. thank you for that! smile

i have one big question,where do you get the inspiration for the titles of your songs?

PS: sorry for my bad english,i hope you understand it :p

Originally posted by Rubiko:
i have one big question,where do you get the inspiration for the titles of your songs?
I just title the songs what seems right to call them. smile

When I write/play most songs, I have a particular thing in mind. An image, place, event, person or a mood. So usually, the song title comes from that - my trying to convey what it is that's on my mind when playing the song.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

David, here's a question from my 10-year-old daughter, Athena:

"What type of piano do you have?"

david, i'd just like to personaly thank you.
your words are very inspiring and mesmorizing. i'm listening to some of your songs, and i've just read all of your replys up to this point, and i'm just really inspired right now.
you'll have to excuse me for lack of words here. . .i'm not quite sure what it is i'm feeling right now, this may sound odd but reading your posts, and listening to your music has put me into somewhat of a dream state of mind (might be that it's almost 6 am. . .with no sleep yet too! ;P ).
so thank you. you're a truely gifted person, both in music, and by words.

Originally posted by Monica Kern:
David, here's a question from my 10-year-old daughter, Athena: "What type of piano do you have?"
I have a 4'11" Young Chang baby grand. It puts out a lot of sound for it's size and had a nice, dark sound. A heavy touch, too, which I like.

But I've just about worn the piano out. I hope, perhaps next year, to be able to afford to upgrade. I've seriously worn this one out.

Originally posted by twitch77:
david, i'd just like to personaly thank you.
your words are very inspiring and mesmorizing. i'm listening to some of your songs, and i've just read all of your replys up to this point, and i'm just really inspired right now.
you'll have to excuse me for lack of words here. . .i'm not quite sure what it is i'm feeling right now, this may sound odd but reading your posts, and listening to your music has put me into somewhat of a dream state of mind (might be that it's almost 6 am. . .with no sleep yet too! ;P ).
so thank you. you're a truely gifted person, both in music, and by words.
Wow, that's nice of you to say. You're quite welcome!

Thanks, David. I realized after I posted I could've looked up your profile, but my daughter was so tickled pink to ask a question of a Real Live Famous Musician that I thought I'd let it stay. smile

I've been truly enjoying your Whisperings piano internet station. How did you get the idea to start that and how complicated was it to set up? And how did you find all the artists you highlight on the station? One thing I find pretty frustrating is that record stores and most radio stations just don't carry or play a lot of solo piano music. That's why your station (and Rhapsody) has been so rewarding to me. smile

Hi Monica,

It's been awhile since you posted this, so I hope you see my response. Anyway...

I've been truly enjoying your Whisperings piano internet station. How did you get the idea to start that and how complicated was it to set up? And how did you find all the artists you highlight on the station?
You've heard the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention?" Well, that definitely applies here. I really didn't have a lot of options for promoting my own piano music to radio. While sure, there are little programs here and there (mostly college stations) that play solo piano, most of these are in the middle of the night or very brief - like two hours once per week.

So I decided to start my own Internet radio station. I started Whisperings in August 2003 and now, three years later, it's the #1 broadcast on Live365.com About 750,000 people a month tune in.

The station wasn't hard to start - Live365.com makes it easy to start and run your own broadcast. The tough part was (and still is) financing it. I'm starting to get that figured out now, though, I think. Just last month I released a subscription (commercial-free) version of our broadcast. Listeners can pay $5/month to support the program and they get several benefits from that.

As for the artists, in the beginning I contacted some of my pianists friends and had them send me their CDs for inclusion on the show. I did that for the first dozen artists or so. After that, CDs just started coming in. I probably get 2-3 CDs a week from artists wanting to be on the show. There's no end to good piano music out there.

So there you have if. For those of you not familiar with Whisperings, you can tune in at http://www.solopianoradio.com

The technical aspects of running an internet radio station still seem daunting to me. I guess at some point you have to burn all those CDs, then decide on some ordering of what to play (or perhaps the station just picks them randomly?). And don't you have to keep track of what you play to pay royalties?

I do love your station, though. I was probably among your earliest subscribers this summer, and I can honestly say that there hasn't been a piece I've heard on it that I haven't liked. smile

In fact, I'm going through Whisperings withdrawal right now. My campus is having trouble with its network streaming, and I haven't been able to play your station or Rhapsody for a week now. mad In fact, I've had to resort to the near-obsolete technology of just playing CDs (the horror!).

Say, this is off-topic, but did you rearrange your concert schedule for October? I thought I had a vague notion you'd be in Ohio, and I was going to drive up for it, but your website isn't showing any Ohio concerts now. frown

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Found this thread buried, and got to thinking...

I know, very dangerous.

Perhaps we could ask for an "Ask the Pros" forum for David, Scott, Bradley, etc. so these would not get buried, and everyone can find them easily.

Just a thought...

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
David,
Very interesting reading. Since there hasn't been any action on this thread in a few years, how about an update of what's been going on with your site and your music. I'm sure that all of the posters above would like to have an update.

Thanks,
Woody

[Linked Image]
L
L
ooh didnt actually know he was on here shocked

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
Hey Woody,

Has it really been over three years since I last posted to this thread? Wow, time flies. Scary.

Anyway, the last few years have been really busy with touring. I do all my own booking, so it keeps me quite occupied. You might be surprised at how much time goes into booking a tour. Managing so many people/venues/dates and the promotion for every single one. It's a lot. And when I'm not touring, I'm usually in the process of lining up booking for my next tour or two. It's ongoing. Right now I'm starting to work on dates for this spring, plus next September and November.

You all probably know about my radio broadcast, Whisperings: Solo Piano Radio. That keeps me hopping as well. There are so many technical issues to keep on top of, plus I do all the customer support myself. And every single day I'm reviewing new music for that. So Whisperings radio is a constant in my day.

I just released a new CD called "Revelation: Solo Piano for Prayer & Worship," so I'm in the process right now of getting that up on iTunes, Pandora and other such places. And then I need to work on licensing for the sheet music for many of the songs on that album, as most of the songs on that album are cover songs. That's going to be a challenge.

I do have a brand new album mostly recorded. I'm returning to the studio in the spring to put the final touches on that. That one is almost all original music. I hope to release that in September or so.

I should have some new sheet music up on my web site within the next week or so.

Doing taxes. Answering emails... Ummmmm....

Beyond that, I have a "live" album that I will start working on as soon as my new one is out. Plus another "Best of" CD covering the years 2001-2010.

After that, I'm not really sure. I will probably continue to write, but I'm itching to do an album of my original worship songs (on guitar) with my church band. So in 2011 I might take a break from piano and work on that. That would be interesting to do, as I've never recorded anything professionally other than piano. I'm not sure whether that album, if I do it, would be something I'd release. I might just do that for my church. I will probably just have to wait and see how the recording goes.

Anyway, as you can tell, always lots going on. Seems like I'm always juggling a million things.

But it's great to live a life full of music! I am blessed.

David Nevue

Last edited by David Nevue; 02/11/10 02:52 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Hi David - love your music. Every Christmas I struggle with the syncopation in "Away in a Manger". One of these Christmases soon I will be able to play it!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Can't wait to hear your new album, David! Thanks for the update. smile

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Nevue
Hi Monica,

It's been awhile since you posted this, so I hope you see my response. Anyway...

I've been truly enjoying your Whisperings piano internet station. How did you get the idea to start that and how complicated was it to set up? And how did you find all the artists you highlight on the station?
You've heard the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention?" Well, that definitely applies here. I really didn't have a lot of options for promoting my own piano music to radio. While sure, there are little programs here and there (mostly college stations) that play solo piano, most of these are in the middle of the night or very brief - like two hours once per week.

So I decided to start my own Internet radio station. I started Whisperings in August 2003 and now, three years later, it's the #1 broadcast on Live365.com About 750,000 people a month tune in.

The station wasn't hard to start - Live365.com makes it easy to start and run your own broadcast. The tough part was (and still is) financing it. I'm starting to get that figured out now, though, I think. Just last month I released a subscription (commercial-free) version of our broadcast. Listeners can pay $5/month to support the program and they get several benefits from that.

As for the artists, in the beginning I contacted some of my pianists friends and had them send me their CDs for inclusion on the show. I did that for the first dozen artists or so. After that, CDs just started coming in. I probably get 2-3 CDs a week from artists wanting to be on the show. There's no end to good piano music out there.

So there you have if. For those of you not familiar with Whisperings, you can tune in at http://www.solopianoradio.com

I am glad this thread resurfaced... I wasn't aware of the "Whisperings" channel. I will have to check it out.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Nevue
Has it really been over three years since I last posted to this thread? Wow, time flies. Scary.

My apologies, but I had to search for "David Nevue" on You Tube. (I'm fairly clueless overall)

Backing up a bit, I created a "We Three Kings" guitar and piano duet for Christmas time and posted it to You Tube. I remember after uploading it searching for other versions of Three Kings, and came across some dude playing it for what appeared to be a private concert in someone's home.

It was extraordinarily awesome, and actually, the end of my short search as I didn't think that it could be topped. And I realized today that was you.

It's a small world. (did I mention your version was awesome?) grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Thanks so much, Ben. I'm glad you like it!

Keep working on it Sam. I'm sure you'll get it!

B
B
Hi David;
Do you have any sheet music for sale for the song " The Old Country Church " ?

Thanks,
Dale

Dale
L
L
Hi david!

I didn't know your music was on sites like pandora. I just added your station to my list on my phone. I also just brought some of your music not too long ago and it's right around my level and they sound amazing. I hope you can keep the sheet music coming and good luck to all your concerts and your tours!:)

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission